Options

Kent Coastal Marathon

Comments

• Options

This forecast is saying AM fog/PM sun. Wind speed 24kph from the north north west.

http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-Margate-UKXX1051

The BBC are saying heavy showers!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=1563

RE: Course route. Is this anything like the full marathon route? http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-kingdom/margate/732259393541
  • Options

Thanks Chaffordred - assuming it's fairly accurate, it will be useful. Not so much for me, but for my hoards of fans!!!!!

Can anyone explain more about the baggage area and the toilets? I see there is a place to put your kit, but it doesn't explain (as far as I could see) whether this is something where  bags are logged and secure, or simply a room where you can put your bag down and go back and pick it up later.

Also - where abouts are the en route portaloos or public toilets if at all? Will there be a 'toilets in 200 yards' sign or something like that? Sorry - final check time!!!!

• Options

Baggage store is a tent where you can leave your bags.  There are Race Organisers around the whole time but I don't think there is someone going to be sitting watching the bags full time - we simply don't have that many spare bodies unfortunately!  Cable if you want you can leave your keys/phone/wallet with me - I am fairly trusthworthy!

We have ordered 12 portaloos which will be right by the start/finish area.  There are also some at the bowls centre about 500m on the outward bound course.  There are toilets on most of the promenade areas but these won't be signed by us.

• Options

Thanks for that - but it sounds a dangerous thing for you to start, unless you're happy to jangle round with a thousand phones and keys!!! That's ok - it's just good to know so I can plan and pack accordingly. (Just an idea, but maybe if a marshal is fairly close to a toilet they may be able to give the odd 'toilet ahead' shout, if a large group is approaching?)

Thanks and good luck with the final days of planning!!!

• Options
    I only do it for people that I know and who ask nicelyimage
  • Options

Cable - not sure how useful this is but I can give you a quick guide to toilets in the first 13 miles and then someone could perhaps fill in the last 13 ?

Toilets as follows (I am ignoring the start as CMF has covered these)

Approx 3 miles in (Joss Bay) public toilets before the car park & hill going up to the lighthouse

Approx 4 miles in (Stone Bay) on your left after you meet back up with the sea on your left

Approx 4.75 miles in (Broadstairs seafront) on your right dead opposite the shelter with the clock on the top

Approx 5 - 5.5 miles in (Dumpton Gap) on your left as you cross the grass ready to run up the hill

Approx 5.5 - 6 miles in (King George VI park) on your right as you make your way through the park on the tarmac path - near the exit

Approx 7.5 miles in (as above Dumpton Gap again)

Approx 8 miles in - (as above - Broadstairs seafront again)

Approx 9 miles in (as above - Stone Bay again)

Approx 10.75 miles in (as above - Joss Bay again)

In case you think I'm some sort of toilet weirdo I do most of my long runs on parts of the course and need to know where the nearest facilities are !!!  Distances may be slightly out but they are ok as triggers to start to look out !

Hope that helps.  Hopefully one of the marathoners will be able to complete the last 13 miles !!!

• Options
    Glad you clarified that Andy!!!!
  • Options

Cable

The second half of the race takes in a fair bit of the prom going in the other direction and Margate etc being a holiday area there are a good few toilets scattered around the second half of the course too. The only problem is, being September, we are at the mercy of the local council as to whether or not they are open. One tip, just because a door is closed does not mean the toilet isn't open, its always worth trying.

• Options
    That's CB speaking from experience!  And also (although I shouldn't say it) there are lots of trees and bushes en route!
  • Options

'Toilet weirdo / godsend' is how I would refer to you, Andy! Very useful! You may see me on the day - I'll be the one with 3, 4, 4.75..etc. written on my arm in marker pen!!!!

Thanks all - I reckon I'll be ok. I have, howver, lost my chance to plead ignorance if I'm caught short!!!!

CMF - I might take up your offer, I'll see how things are looking - thanks though.

4 hours until I drive down!!!!

• Options
    We actually had a guy last year who moaned that he had to wear an adult nappy because there were no toilets. He couldn't have been very observant because as you have probably gathered from this list Margate is more than happy to take the p*** out of you.
  • Options

We always get the "Whingers and Moaners" Club outing at races - not enough toilets, too hot, too cold, too wet, too windy!!!

Well my answer is .... next year YOU organise the race image

• Options

Mrs F... I bet they come back year after year as well!

• Options

boo hoo etcimage The pain in my hip during this mornings run has confirmed that I won't be running on Sunday. My other half is pulling out in sympathy. Been suffering for a few weeks now and it's just getting worse with every run.

Question to TRAC peeps. As there is demand for spare places, should I send an email with our details to marathonrace@thanetroadrunners.org.uk or is there a more specific contact ?. I haven't promised the numbers to anyone in case you still consider that the event is full. 

Cheers

• Options

Scotty - if you have someone specific then give them your number and email me direct with their details and I'll swap them.  If not email me anyway with your numbers and I'll remove you so we aren't looking for you on the day!

sorry to hear you can't run though image

• Options
    Thanks for that Mrs F.
  • Options

Scotty

What a shame, the best laid schemes of mice and men etc. Hope you recover soon.

• Options
    Cheers Bill. I'm supposed to be running the Amsterdam mara next month so I'm hoping a visit to the physio will help.
  • Options
    Andy - the one at 3 miles is just before the water station. So can go a toilet and then be able to drink comfortably.
  • Options
    Well its nearly here!!!  Hopefully the weather will improveimage
  • Options

Guys - just want to say good luck to all and thanks for the various bits of advice/encouragement on this thread.

• Options

Don't you think that it is a bit sad when a thread comes to a close. I have also really enjoyed being part of it and am looking forward to the run immensely. Sometimes though I think that I run in order to be part of a forum rather than the other way roundimage

See you all on Sunday morning

• Options
    If any of you kind folks from outside the area want to keep in touch regarding other TRAC races, such as the very popular but merciless weather-wise Thanet 10 in December, you might be interested to know that in the clubhouse section you will find a continuous forum called Friends of Thanet where you will find the likes of myself, Cliff, Mrs F, MF7 and various others hanging around.
  • Options
    Wishing all runners the very best of luck for Sunday.  I'll be on race computer inputting CB's finishing time of 5:00:59!!!!image
  • Options
    QBQB ✭✭✭
    looking forward to it myself and good luck all
  • Options
    Cliff sorry I cant remember our final plans for Sunday are we meeting at The Granville or my house or am I picking you up in the car and going back to my house before setting off or something else?
  • Options
    Mark, I had a set back with the back yesterday, so I am not sure whether running over is a good idea, The last thing I want is to be the tail end Charlie and have to be carted off the course, sorry to let you down. If there is a Lazarus recovery during the day then I will give you a call! I look forward to hearing about Thursdays adventuresimage
  • Options

OMG, I thought we were in the privacy of the Fans of Thanet and here I am telling the marathon thread of my injury woes

Anyway all, I am really well, never felt better, can't waitimage