Options

Over 60s training.

Comments

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Chouette
    forgot to say, I have emailed you, if you don't get it can you email me then i can reply on the same emails
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    I also forgot to thank everybody for their pleasure shown on my new 10k pb. THANKS.
  • Options

Good Morning

Was out granddadding all day yesterday at second youngest granddaughter's 4th birthday and haven't had time to read back but just caught sight of Ceal's mention above about a shiny new 10K pb so Congrats for that, Ceal.

Now - success ! ! !

Personal Training Programme, Day 49
    3.27M; 44:46; 13:42/M; hr126; really slow
    13:58 hr127 m135
    13:35 hr124 m135
    13:49 hr126 m136

Was going to be 5M comeback but as soon as I got started I realised that as both legs hadn't done much of anything for a week they would both need to be run in gently to start with so I cut it to 3M. Well the route is actually 3.27M and it turned out one of the slowest 5ks I've ever done but one of the most enjoyable. I decided I wouldn't worry about anything other than getting round and keeping the HR down so I started out with short easy strides. As it happened it was nothing like the OMS that it sounds like because I soon found that without thinking I was running with a good posture and lifting my feet cleanly and it felt good. So far as I could tell from a rather unclear reflection in a shop window in the halflight it even looked like running although others might have had a different take on that. I hardly looked at the HR but when I did I was surprised if it was over 130 and satisifed when it was 119. I think I've started back in.

TS - I cut today's 5M to 3M, and aim to change tomorrow's 6M with 3x1M fast to 4M slow, Wednesday's 6M slow to 5M, keep to Thursday's 5M easy, (your definition), and Friday's 4M slow, then cut Saturday's 12M easy to 10M slow/easy. After that I should be ready to treat the following week as specified but a week behind schedule and stay on that to the end of the current programme, unless you have another suggestion.

K2 - There's mail on its way.

al

• Options

And there's mail on its way to you, aws.

That'll have the thread gossips going!   image

• Options

Diana - well done on your PB yesterday. Nice one.

JJ - I have had a good spell with PBs in the last few weeks. I know it's going to get harder and I musn't be disappointed if I have bad days and fall short.

Chouette - don't think I've spoken to you before. Hi! Sorry to hear about your problems. That Bill Oddie sequence is a classic, isn't it?

ceal - those starlings make quite a racket when you're close up to them. Maybe not as much as one might expect from so many birds though.

MickC - thanks for updating again. I doubt if there are any 5K races in the area coming up but I've got a measured training route near home and will try to beat my time on that before the end of the year.

Oh, I hope nobody's spotted me posting on the Strictly Come Dancing thread lol!

• Options
    Graham
    I will hold you responsible if I'm late for work. Had to nip over to the Strictly thread to see what was going on.
  • Options

good morning

Chouette
    welcome backimage!! I had missed your  early morning posts on my return.
    I blame all your afflictions on the African Dance classes!!!
    Neck problems can be a real b*gger to sort out. I had a whip lash injury once caused by catching a gymnast over my head as she came off the high bar unexpectedly as I walked by which flared up years later for no apparent reason, gave me all sorts of grief for a year or so, and then disappeared never to return (I hope!!) . I trust yours goes the same way

aws
    Pleased the return to running went so well and that you rapidly found the groove again. A nice feeling after a layoff
    Just take it day by day and certainly missout the Fast session tomorrow
    I think it was the sight of "fast" in the schedule that brought on your hamstringimage

K2
    One will have to find as substitute then - perhaps one should "try" training instead of "doing" it???

Big change in weather this am -  went out into dark, gloomy am with a brisk, keen north westerly wind anxious to show me that one layer of clothing was not sufficient - and it did!! A light air frost overnight had turned the huge piles of leaves on the paths into a crisp, crunchy, brown and gold carpet which was a silly schoolboy delight to run over
    5.1 miles recovery done in 42:16 and avHR132 (67%WHR) and a brief max of 145

1m 8:38 hr126
    2m 7:56 hr129
    3m 8:22 hr133
    4m 8:23 hr134
    5m 8:55 hr139 Hipps Hill

Running up Hipps HIll in Valley Gardens I was confronted by a group of Japanese students from the local language academy who had all decided that a photo of this aged git toiling up the hill through the drifts of leaves between the avenue of now leafless lime trees would be their ideal photo remembrance of their stay in England so I was roused out of my concentration by a battery of flashes going off -  fame at lastimage!!!

• Options

Empty
    sorry to hear about Liz's symptoms getting worse - I do hope it is only temporary
    It can't help you either so take care
    loved the golf ball decorationsimage

Graham
    great race and time well done a 5 min PB is 30sec/mile which is some improvement. I think we will let you off the 10 seconds extra on mile 9.

Its nearly 30 years since I last ran that race and you have awakened fond memories for it - may put in on the list for next year

beautiful late autumn morning out here -sun, blue sky, very light breeze - just perfect running conditions. Tried to do them justice with my first longish run for 4 weeks as I did 10.6 miles in 1:28:22 (8:20m/m) and avHR138 (72%WHR) and a max of only 153 on Hipps Hill

01m 8:46 hr124
    02m 8:58 hr135
    03m 8:28 hr137
    04m 8:09 hr136
    05m 8:28 hr140
    06m 7:39 hr138 downhill bit!
    07m 8:15 hr139
    08m 8:16 hr138
    09m 8:16 hr142 starting to tire a bit
    10m 8:12 hr143 first half of Hipps Hill
    0.6m 4:52 hr147 second half!!!!

Got into a good rhythm after the first 2 tough miles through the woods and uphill.
    There may be some dog left in the old life yetimage

• Options
    where did that come from???????????????
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

TS
    Silly school-boy photographed by Japanese photographers, the mind boggles, I hope you did a bit of showboating.

JJ
    billsimage

I decided to have a little run this morning, just in case Simon doesn't think it a good idea to do much in the Gym today. I ran on grass, very slowly, feeling rather tired, I had my usual bad nights sleep after a race last night. Anyway, the intention was to run 30 mins and that is what I did.3.22 miles ambled round in 30 mins, around 9.21 mm (Garmin software refuses to oblige on my pc this morning), av HR a thundering 115.  Feet were lifted up though, no shuffling, running style wasn't compromised at all, just the pace! 

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

JJ
    you look  verrrrry determined.

Here is one of me actually smiling in a raceimage

smiling ceal

I can't find any results yet though, can you JJ?

• Options

JJ - I like the first photo. And you look like a man on a mission.

Today was meant to be a rest day, but it is meant to get windy by the end of the week. So I decided to do my intervals today. I also used the warm up, warm down on my Garmin.

Total mileage 48.38

AHR 143

MHR 181 (that will be the intervals)

Warm up 1.5m

17.28 - pace `11.34

4 x 400m intervals.

2.05 - HR 164

2.03 - HR 168

1.56 - HR 170

1.59 - HR 173 ( Mick I could not do 5 today, but maybe the week after November Serpies).

Warm Down 1.5 miles

17.05 - pace 10.59

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

JJ
    can you post me a link because I have the web site and there is nothing there. But maybe they have taken the link down to make adjustments. The 2nd photo you have the same body position as the lady you are chasing, a bit like a spoon!!

Tracey
    good ones, faster that last week.  

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ
    to illustrate, this is all I get.

nothing there at all.
  • Options

JJ - They both look just like you full of determination. In the first you're clearly concentrating on levitation and in the second all you want to do is get past that young lady.

al

• Options

Ceal - This is what I got from that link.

102 CECILIA MORRISON 00:46:25 604 00:46:19 691 FO65 1 City of Portsmouth A.C.

al

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    aws
    thanks, for me it just doesn't show anything except the boxes where one enters info. they are dark grey and show nothing. I can't put in gender or anything. But a big thank you for your help.  
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    MickC
    my gun to finish time was 46.25 mins and my chip to chip time was 46.19 mins. I will let you chose which one goes on your chart. I took 6 secs to cross the start line. But the ranking is taken from the gun to finish, not the chip time.
  • Options

Tracey
    nearly fell off my chair with your total mileageimage!!!
    good planning for the week

JJ
    so who won the sprint to the finish line???
    I thought you siad you were taking it easy???

Ceal
    Smiling????!!! That will never do - worth at least -10 seconds without the smileimage

• Options

TS - Did you notice that my lsr's are in single figures image I am not planning any marathons until the end of the year, unless I get in club place for FLM.

• Options
    No showboating this am - as I said , I was concentrating on the hill making sure I kept cadence going and when the flashes went off I was quite surprised .
    Lots of giggles ensued and several accented  "good mornings". Helped me beat the rain home anyway
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

TS
    I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Playing around with figures as one does. My pb was 74 secs. That is if I take my pb from my chip time and compare it with my original pb also from chip time. So that is better than 69 secs. Surprising what one can achieve by just siting down.

• Options

Ceal - knocking more than a minute of a 10k pb is not easy, so you did good girl.

• Options

Ceal
    so that is nearly 1.25 minutes - excellent improvement!!!

Tracey
    You typed

Total mileage 48.38

I was impressed by thatimage

• Options
    TS - Sorry that was my total time for today' warm up, intervals and cool down. It is called interval madness. Are you not impressed with my 3 weeks in a row of intervals, that is the most I have ever done image
  • Options

Hi folks,

So much to read back, it took me a heck of a long to get through it all !

Ceal,

You still amaze me, pbs never stop coming, so v.well done on getting that 74 secs 10k new pb.image
           The sickly feeling straight after the race is familiar, I know I couldn't do any better when I get that effect in the races I've been in.

JJ,
            And a v. fine result for you too bearing in mind your recent lurgy setback , a great Brighton 10k time.

Graham,

That was really a terrific chunk off the previous best time. 10 milers are pretty tough aren't they, but well done on achieving that 10m pb, you actually made it look easy image

DianaD,

Congrats are due to you too, gaining a Half Mara pb after a disturbed  night's sleep v.impressive !

Chouette,

Nice to see another post from you. Pity the neck is still giving some aggro. Time is likely to be best cure by the looks of it.

Cathy,

Well done on completing a tough 5mile course.  Nice photos btw of you and your friend.

Empty,

I liked Liz's artistry on the golf balls which shows her good sense of humourimage

Tracey,

The good wishes you gave for Marg worked wonders the best night's sleep for a week despite knowing of hospital visit next day! Thanks image

Pammie,

Smashing long run @ 12 miles plus which is boosting your mileage all right.

K2,
            Wonder if you can recommend what to go for in men's tights/track bottoms?  I am looking for a pair with pocket facility  for key and mobile phone.

TS,

It appears you missed my two posts where I said I'd have to cancel Barnsley due to Marg's hosp.visit clashing with time.  When you mentioned " watch the gasworks"  I presumed it referred to the 10k though I haven't done that race yet either.
            Most impressed with your two runs before midday.  You mustered up a lot of energy to do that lot, didn't  you image

Hi anyone I may have missed.