Options

how to improve?

Comments

• Options

Morning! back from my run image Don't know if the bus driver laughed or not - I *do* go down to the bus stop all lycra-ed up and ready to run, but I dropped the kids by the corner so he couldn't see me (chicken!!).

Phew - you're right Lisa - it *is* still too hot even at 8.30 in the morning, buut I DID IT!!!!! The hill that has always eluded me, I ran all the way the more difficult way round image Admittedly, my pace was incredibly slow up the hill (I'm sure I walk faster than that?!) but it was most definitely running.

So that's 4.6K to start this month's tally - still haven't added up June's yet!

Need to jump in the bath as I'm due up at school to watch a play in half an hour - will examine all  my data laterimage

• Options

Got my race number today - looks very proper, I thought it might just be a photocopied number seeing as its a school event!  Kids have been entered into the 3k fun run (although DS claims he won't do it!) so I have 3 numbers and I'm not entirely sure which one is mine! reckon its 19 though - so not a massive field of entries. I will be easy tospot (uh oh!)

4.6k in 36 mins, quite slow but pleased my HR didn't go over 179 (which was when I was climbing the hill). Pace went down to 11 min kms (yes - Km not miles!) at one point which really did feel like running on the spot!

Did some adding up, and I managed 70k in June - not as far as you Lisa, and no doubt not as far as jimma either!!

Must do some work!!!!

• Options

Hi there

4.6k in 36 mins is ok isnt it especially with a dreaded hill, I hate hills

well done

Lisa

x

• Options

Hi,

No run for me today just as well had a busy day at work no energy left.Day off tomorrow and so I will do a 6-7 mile run,about the same distance as you Lisa remember to take it easy on your long run,hope its a bit cooler.

So you have received your race number B&T you are a proper runner now,are you looking forward to it.

Talking milage on average I do about 100 miles per month but remember I have been running much longer than you.

Some information for you,I started running in my 40s did Bath half in 1995 and I continued to improve for 10 years achieving all my PBs in 2005(a very good year for race times) no chance of me getting any more PBs.You on the other hand are just starting with lots of PBs to come ENJOY

jimma image

• Options

Hey Jimma

thats not long ago at all, hope I do continue to improve. 100miles a month flipin heck

Will let you know how my lovley day goes including my killer run

Lisaimage

• Options

Hi,

Lisa & jimma take it easy out there in the heat - although sounds like we might all be drowning in torrential rain by this evening (sounds quite nice!)

Lisa - my thoughts exactly - 100 miles a month - wow! And hills - euk - *but* I did read somewhere that running uphill is a good way to tone your bottom - i was holding that thought all the way up!

jimma - thanks for sharing - that's really inspiring - that you took up running in your 40s (obviously a good age to start to run!) and then were getting PBs 10 years on. This sport is amazing the way there seems to be such potential to improve, at any age, and such a  lot of help & support image

Day spent hiding indoors working here, and watching the weather forecast so i can plan my run for tomorrow.

• Options

Hi there, first post!!  I am new to running, I have been doing it for about a month now.  I am running 6.5k in 45 mins which I am sure I will improve on!  Other runners often overtake me but I am trying to not let it put me off!!  At least walkers have not overtaken me!  It is so hot at the moment - I cant wait to see how I get on in cooler weather.  Anyway I have a couple of queries, I have seen a podietrist (spelling??) and have orthotics in my shoes, I wear them daily but she is making ones especially for running as I still feel I have an in turn when I run.  I also have been seeing a physio as I have been getting some pain in my inner thigh, overworked abductor muscle.  She told me I have to watch myself running in a mirror and change the way I run!? Any advice on how to do this would be great!  I really want to carry on with it as it is such a stress relief for me, I work full time, often up to 12 hours each shift and sleepovers at a residential home for people with last stage dementia.  I am often in the building for 72 hours per week so the running is keeping me sane!!!

I look forward to any advice.

Rachel xxxx

• Options

Hi Rachel welcome,I am no expert on medical matters but I will try and help.Firstly do not worry about others overtaking you I am sure you are still going faster than some just enjoy your run.

You are getting orthotics made for running,once you have these will that not correct your running posture when you have had them for a time.I must admit that I would find it very difficult to watch myself in a mirror and change the way I run (not much help im afraid) I know what you mean though about not wanting to give it up I am terrible if I cannot run.When you were assessed for your orthotics did they say anything about the way you ran,how bad is the pain when you run is it a real problem.

Have you ran yet Lisa,what do I do B&T run in the heat or wait and get soaked.

• Options

Hi Rachel - nice to see another new face! I'm another relative newbie, having only been running since April / May this year.

6.5k in 45 mins sounds okay to me, I've discovered that the slower I go, the further I can go - which has been really important seeing as my 1st 10k race is next Friday (eek!). You will *definitley* go faster when the weather cools down - promise!

Can't help at all with the orthotics I'm afraid - but  I would have thought you'll just need to try running with them & see what happens! From what (little) I've read, its very difficult to change how you run. Good luck at trying to watch how you run in a mirror - I've a feeling I'd fall over if I tried to do that!

Your work sounds like it can be very stressful - running is just fab at giving you that 'me' time isn't it? I think about all sorts of stuff when I'm running, and if I've got too much going on in my life (which is often!) it gives me a chance to prioritise about what I should tackle first when I get back.

Keep posting so we can all improve together!

Hi jimma - only one thing to say to you, and I quote "GET OUT THERE DONT BE A WIMP"  (gentle encouragement??!!) Actually, changed my mind, its baking hot here. I'd say wait & get soaked later image

• Options

Hi there

Jimma, B&T and welcome Rachel, well Lisa Humphrey is back, had a fab run this morning 10K in 1hr 13 but it was VERY hilly, despite this it was great and once again I was out in front hurray.

Rachel dont know what to say about orthotics other than surely as Jimma says when you get them that should correct your running dont think its possible to run in the mirror and then change, what are you chaging to???? Daft advice I think lol. Keep going tho its truly addicitve. I am going for a giat analysis in a few week time as I have trainers that my toes are starting to poke through and has some hip pain going on.

Jimma and B&T are you telling me you havent been out today COME ON lol hee hee

Lisa

• Options

Well I decided to do my cross country run at 3pm. still very hot.Last week when I did the run garmin measured it as 7.7 miles,today measured 7.9 miles and so pace measured does not compare with last week,never mind I know that my actual time today was 5min. slower than last week and my average HR was higher.I will be so pleased when it cools down I am supposed to do intervals tomorrow.

How about you Lisa have you survived the heat,are you running tomorrow as well or is it rest day.

B&T what have you planned for tomorrow,just a week to go have you pinned your number on your top yet just so you are prepared in time.

jimma image

• Options

Well done Lisa,just missed your post,sounds as though you had a great run in the heat as well.

Just been reading my runners world August mag. does anyone else receive it.If so article on page 43 does it apply to anyone.

jimma image

• Options

Hi there

I have subscribed but dont get my first issue until october for some reason, whats it about then p43

Lisa

• Options

Its an article about a poor husband who has lost his wife to running,ring any bells!!!!!!!!

jimma image

• Options

ding a ling a ling, my husband gets a bit funny lol

Lisaimage

• Options

I asked my physio if my orthotics would correct the problem and she thought not??  I hope they do, they are going to be a higher degree than the ones I have now.  I have no idea how to change the way I run, she gave me very little advice, she just laughed!! That said she was right about my source of pain, again she laughed at how over worked and developed my abductor muscles were.... apparently she has never seen them so developed in a woman???? I guess 35 years of very very flat feet do that to you??!!  goodness knows but i do feel i am nearer to a solution.

I hope to enter a competition later in the year, my choices are limited being in Orkney!!  it is a beautiful place to run though!!

xxxxxx

• Options

Hi Rachel,

I am very envious of you running in Orkney,it must be so lovely.As for a physio who laughs at you I am not very impressed.Can you go to someone else who may be more helpful.Once you get the orthotics that just might be the solution,fingers crossed.

What distance would you go for in competition.

jimma image

• Options

oh just 10km i think, time is always difficult so i dont think i will realistically be able to train for a half marathon. i just love the fact i feel so much better, i feel fitter, i sleep better and if i have had a really tough day - which happens all to often when you are dealing with paliative care - i can unwind.  orkney is a gorgeous place to run, i am very very lucky. clean air, beautiful views and never more than 5 mins away from the sea.

xxxx

• Options

Evening all!

Lisa - I went running yesterday, I'll have you know!! Actually, Dh was home early so I went out tonight rather than tomorrow in the hope it would be cooler, and to see what running in the evening is like! It was lovely!!! Still warm, but much nicer than it has been. 8k in 57 minutes, so quite slow, but max HR only hit 174 going up a hill, and right at the end in my 'sprint finish' (ha ha), and average HR was 159 - lowest ever image

Sounds like you had a good run today as well - 10k in 1hr13 with HILLS is fab!!

jimma - well done running in the heat! No - haven't pinned number on ..... yet - but was thinking about how best to pin it on whilst out tonight. Any sneaky tips I need to know??

Rachel - hope your physio helps! Orkney sounds beautiful - but you may need to travel for races, I think!

• Options

Hi all

Going to yet another party now so my saturday run wil be on sunday lol

Talk to you all tomorrow

Sorry B & T about my mistake ha

Love Me

• Options

Hi,

Lisa not the attitude of an athlete putting a party before a run I am disappointed in you,you will have to put in extra effort on Sun.

B&T no real tips for the race number,four small safety pins and put on the front of your vest.First of many race numbers for you.Im impressed that you have a sprint finish to rely on at the end of a race.

I am sure there is a small sellection of races in Orkney for you to enter Rachel even a half.It sounds as though you are getting a lot out of running already,just keep on enjoying.

jimma image

• Options

Lisa - you've been told by jimma now - extra effort on Sunday mind! Have a good party - can we expect any late night postings????

Seriously, you've been training hard - have a good time & a good run on Sundayimage

jimma - I thought there'd be a sneaky top tip about pinning the race number on - 4 safety pins I can manage!!!BTW sprint finish was about the last 20 metres because a neighbour was watching - not as impressive as it sounds!

Rachel - what's the weather been like up by you - as hot as the rest of the UK? Running by the sea sounds ovely in weather like this! When will you getyour orthotics (sorry - don't think I've spelt that right - but you'll know what I mean!)

Right - off to get DD into bed, then pizza in the oven, bottle of wine open and veg out in front of TV whilst sneakily surfing on t'internet. Need to find some advice on my ankle (back of ankle - achilles heel? - is feeling strangly stiff after running yesterday. Do I need to worry / do anything about it?) and browse some HM schedules, after getting the RW HM newsletter in my inbox today ...

• Options

What kind of run did you do yesterday B&T was it different to usual,have you fetl this stiffness before.Maybe a few stretches will help,do you stretch after a run normally.

jimma image

• Options

Hi Jimma, run yesterday wasn't much different to usual. Ended up going for 8k as I was enjoying it so much, but at nice easy pace. I did have to leap up  into the verge twice (apparently 4x4s can't move up onto verges - sigh!), and landed quite heavily when I jumped back down again. So I guess that's what did it.

Not felt it before, and I do stretch afterwards. Maybe the wine will help???

Are you running this weekend, jimma?

• Options

Sounds as though it may be a sprain  rather than the achilles though dont take my word for it.If sprain then ice may help and rest for the week end and yes wine could help.

Running on Sunday,LSR again 11 miles to do

jimma image

• Options

Hooray - wine could help - thought so image

Wasn't planning on running again this weekend, so hopefully that will do the trick. Hope its cooler for you on Sunday

• Options

not sure when i get the orthotics - was meant to be last tuesday but everything takes longer "cause you are not on the mainland, or my favourite... you are not part of the uk!!"

it has been very very hot by orkney standards - 27-28 degrees, i have found it far too hot to run. we normally only make it up to about 18 in the summer, the sea breeze keeps us cool!

i also find wine helps!!?? or so i tell myself!

xx

• Options

Hi there

Wine helps but not so the next day groannnnn.

Had a good night tho, didnt go to mad so will be ok to run tomorrow (no wine tonight lol)

what runs are planned then, Jimma your going for the LSR one day I will get there

Speak later

Lisa

• Options

Hi All,

I have a training plan that will greatly improve the fitness of you athletes,for every glass of wine you have this week end you increase your long run by a kilometer,what do you think good plan or not ????????

jimma imageimageimage

• Options
    Its a fantastic plan jimma. Unfortunately, I'm now 'tapering' for my race, so I'll have to be excused. (I have a note from my Mum and everything image)