Options

Moraghan Coaching - kaysdee

Comments

• Options

What an excellent LSR this morning! I will admit to feeling a bit apprehensive as I thought it would make hard work after yesterday, but it was an absolute breeze.

No peep from the ITB at all, in fact since Monday, so looks like the foam roller has been doing the trick. Unfortunately, I think it requires daily torture rather than just haphazard put it off as long as I think I can use.

It started raining heavily at 8 miles in, which is fantastic for me. I was running point to point and had mapped a run and checked various details like elevation and where I should roughly be at what mile, so knew I only had to get to 10m before it there was a prolonged downhill to my destination.

Sure enough, got to about 10.5 and then a big drop for miles image. Not a steep do yourself an injury type, but a long sweeping descent.

I had to run through Chavland, but thankfully the heavy rain meant the streets were deserted.

I didn't realise rain was on the cards so I was drenched when I got to the Metrocentre - and worked out 15m on the nose! At least I was clean image. Downside is I had to wait 25 mins for OH/kids to show up image and had no choice but to stand like an idiot at the pre-arranged meeting point in a very busy shopping centre (no phone). Talk about self conscious image. I was freezing after about 30s. If I'd known he was going to be that late I would have done an extra mile or 2. (I did pack a change of clothes for me, thankfully he remembered to bring them!)

I kept expecting to feel tired at some point, but the entire run was great and only felt like I'd ran a few miles.

8m tomorrow before I leave and that'll give me 70 for the week and 3 lovely rest days.

15.02m, 2:10:04, avg 8.39

Split Summary
    ====
    1)  - 1m - 8:53(8:53/m) - 95cal
    2)  - 1m - 8:50(8:50/m) - 97cal
    3)  - 1m - 8:40(8:40/m) - 97cal
    4)  - 1m - 8:28(8:28/m) - 96cal
    5)  - 1m - 8:37(8:37/m) - 96cal
    6)  - 1m - 8:20(8:20/m) - 97cal
    7)  - 1m - 8:46(8:46/m) - 93cal
    8)  - 1m - 8:55(8:55/m) - 95cal
    9)  - 1m - 8:34(8:34/m) - 96cal
    10)  - 1m - 8:48(8:48/m) - 95cal
    11)  - 1m - 8:26(8:26/m) - 96cal
    12)  - 1m - 8:36(8:36/m) - 96cal
    13)  - 1m - 8:24(8:24/m) - 96cal
    14)  - 1m - 8:46(8:46/m) - 96cal
    15)  - 1m - 8:44(8:44/m) - 93cal
    16)  - 0.02m - 9(8:34/m) - 1cal

Moraghan - for my session on Thursday, can you do the thinking bit and tell me roughly what I'm looking at per lap?

It's a bit confusing as we're still using training paces from last year - well, I am anyway - but I think they're still fairly accurate.

I know I should be training to current fitness, but if it makes a difference, all things being equal, I want to aim for around 41.10 at Middlesbrough in a few weeks (6.37) - yes, you heard it here first, I'm aiming for my first pb in almost a year!

Come on, frighten the life out of me, what does that equate to on the track?

• Options

Next week -

Mon - OFF

Tue - OFF

Wed - OFF

Thu - 3m easy am / 2m easy | 1m steady | 1m MP | 5 x strides | 12 x 400m @ 10K pace w/ 100m jog recovery | cd pm

Fri - 5m easy am / 3m easy pm

Sat - 12m LSR am / 3m easy pm

Sun - 3m easy am / 3m easy pm

I've shifted the doubles to the 4 training days. I know it's a recovery week, but with 3 days off, no need to be completely lazy. I think by Tuesday morning I'll have itchy feet!

• Options
    You're still running more miles than I am (60 for me this week)!
  • Options

I don't have two jobs!

I didn't pay much attention to it on the day, but that park we started the Kilomathon in - is it a real park? Like for kids, or just a large grassy area? Somewhere I can do my 3m easy on Thurs morning? image

Also, do you happen to know of any soft plays in the area? Is the castle worth a visit?

We're staying near the Chapel Bar area, which means nothing to me! The only time I've ever been to Nottingham was for the start of that race and was dropped off at whatever park it was by a bus.

• Options
    The Kilomathon started from University Park. I think there is a children's play area at the other end. It's a fair trek from town though.

I'm not really familiar with Chapel Bar. Are you wanting to run from your hotel or to drive somewhere?

The castle is a bit rubbish to be honest. It doesn't look like a proper castle. It's just a big old house and not half as impressive as other big old houses in the area such as Wollaton Hall or Newstead Abbey. The kids might appreciate the Robin Hood statue at the base of it though.

This might help:
    http://www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/search.php?county=nottinghamshire
    (can't do proper links in Chrome, sorry!)
  • Options
    Actually the castle might be good for kids. I looked at the website and they seem to have a play area and activities. Not something I'd have been looking for when I went there!

If you're driving you could go to Wollaton Park.
    http://www.mynottingham.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2882

There are various things on next week that the kids might like, and you can do a lovely run in there. Just mind the insects. I've got a monster bite on my calf from running there on Thursday.
  • Options

That's great, thanks.

I have some ideas for what to do now.

It's really just a stop over point anyway to break up the journey home so I imagine we will all be a bit tired by then. 

I'm getting good - I've packed for the kids and have my stuff ready to go in the case. Every time I say I'll pack the night before and I never do. I refuse to deal with the stress and chaos of still trying to pack on the morning, so hopefully things will start off smoothly!

• Options
    MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭
    Enjoy your short break.  Try and do the 400's in 100 to 105 seconds each but there's no need to push the recoveries.
  • Options

I'm home. My idea of a break is to leave them all behind next time and just take myself somewhere image.

I'm knackered. Kids would not go to sleep at all and up early every morning. I don't know how they do it. Legoland was excellent and exceeded my expectations. We actually ran out of time even though it closed at 8pm!

Did 5m before I left on Sunday, it was too early for me to go further image. 3m late that night along the Thames Path at Greenwich, lovely.

Got back later than I anticipated today and no chance of a run this morning so I've swapped today and tomorrow and combined the 5+3 and did a nice run in the rain. Judging by the pace / effort, the 3 days off were much appreciated, even though it felt like a week and like I've put on a stone!

8.04m, 1:08:57, avg 8.34

Split Summary
    ====
    1)  - 1m - 8:37(8:37/m) - 96cal
    2)  - 1m - 8:42(8:42/m) - 96cal
    3)  - 1m - 8:41(8:41/m) - 97cal
    4)  - 1m - 8:27(8:27/m) - 97cal
    5)  - 1m - 8:35(8:35/m) - 96cal
    6)  - 1m - 8:32(8:32/m) - 97cal
    7)  - 1m - 8:39(8:39/m) - 97cal
    8)  - 1m - 8:26(8:26/m) - 96cal
    9)  - 0.04m - 18(8:05/m) - 4cal 
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Welcome back!

kaysdee (Kelly) wrote (see)

I'm home. My idea of a break is to leave them all behind next time and just take myself somewhere image.

you don't really mean that image

• Options

I don't know, I think I might image. Well, I could fantasise about it, but it would never happen image.

Very good track session this morning. Warm up in heavy rain and got through 5 miles thinking how great it was that I was half way through my session and that was just the warm up.

Split Summary
    ====
    1)  - 1m - 8:46(8:46/m) - 94cal
    2)  - 1m - 8:41(8:41/m) - 97cal
    3)  - 1m - 8:10(8:10/m) - 96cal (steady)
    4)  - 1m - 7:45(7:45/m) - 96cal (MP)
    5)  - 1m - 7:39(7:39/m) - 96cal (strides)
    6)  - 0.02m - 12(7:51/m) - 2cal

Got to the track and was slightly dismayed to find there was some kind of children's fun day happening, but the inside lane looked clear so gave it a go. 12 x 400m w/ 100m recoveries.

First rep was far too fast, but in my defence it is only really my second track session and I'm still getting a feel for paces. Second rep some kid was walking inside the track with a checklist and then just decides to sit in the middle of lane one to tick something off as I'm approaching. Slammed the brakes on and detour cost me a couple of seconds. 

I couldn't seem to get the following reps slow enough, but the effort felt fine. I was convinced that I was using the wrong line for 300m, but looking at the data, everything looks in order. I was never dying on my feet, but 400's are tricky to judge, I don't know how you race them, Moraghan! Starts off feeling "this is easy", get to 200m and think "I've got to do that again?". I really enjoyed it.

I only had the lap time on my watch so didn't have any concept of what I was running and I'm very pleased at the result. Considering the last time I was at the track a couple of months ago - I think it was a 5K session? - the 400's were about 1.35 off 200m recovery, but I was destroyed... this is more like it image.

3.75m, 25:58, avg 6.55 (I couldn't even do 5K at that pace not so long ago)

1.33, 1.41, 1.38, 1.38, 1.39, 1.38, 1.38, 1.38, 1.38, 1.38, 1.39,1.37

32, 31, 30, 32, 31, 32, 32, 32, 32, 31, 30, 27

Recoveries felt slow, but also pretty short!

I was only planning on a mile or so cool down, but was waiting for OH to pick me up so just kept going round (and round and round) until he got there and ended up being over 3m! I usually hate laps, but considering I must have done almost 30, it didnt feel like it at all.

Split Summary
    ====
    1)  - 1m - 8:29(8:29/m) - 94cal
    2)  - 1m - 8:40(8:40/m) - 97cal
    3)  - 1m - 8:35(8:35/m) - 96cal
    4)  - 0.27m - 2:18(8:29/m) - 26cal 

Moraghan - I'm receiving frequent begging emails for me to please, please, please attend the track meet on Sunday. Apparently participation has been so poor that despite being in the bottom league we might not be allowed to compete at all next year. I've ignored them so far, but do you think there is any harm in me agreeing to 100 / 200m again?

• Options

3m done just now and I've been evicted from the kitchen as apparently I'm being made some kind of oat, cornflake, syrup type of cookie. I'll reserve judgment until I've eaten one image.

3.03m, 26:14, avg 8.39 (due to a downhill section)

Split Summary
    ====
    1)  - 1m - 8:47(8:47/m) - 94cal
    2)  - 1m - 8:31(8:31/m) - 96cal
    3)  - 1m - 8:40(8:40/m) - 96cal
    4)  - 0.03m - 15(8:19/m) - 2cal

Oh, I received my GER number while I was gone. Satisfies my number fixations - 1661. Cool.

I'm glad my LSR is in the morning so I can have a lie in on Sunday, I'm desperate. 

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Seriously impressive session this morning Kelly!!! image

I cant believe you can go out after that and do another 3 miles though image

• Options
    MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

Kelly - Sunday is up to you ultimately.  All things being equal I'd rather you didn't, particularly as there is increased risk of injury at this stage .  If they can't get a team this year next year will be no different - maybe not having a team is appropriate for the club!

Good session.  It's coming together nicely.

• Options

Are you running tomorrow Kelly? I'm in Newcastle (my Aunt's funeral was this afternoon). I need 20 tomorrow so thought I'd run to the moor, do Parkrun, do a few more laps and run home again.Some company wouldn't go amiss image

• Options

Curly - I've had 5 days straight with the kids... the opportunity for another 30 minutes by myself didn't make it too difficult image.

Moraghan - ok. I agree with you about the focus. Apparently there was a huge argument at a recent committee meeting because there are no track runners and the club has big AC foundations. I wanted to do some longer track races next year, but I'll be 35 in December so I can do the vet track meets next year.

CC2 - as it so happens, I was planning on running to parkrun, running that (will take me to 6m) and then finding another 6, so I have a further potential 6 depending on where you need to be.

My sympathies for your aunt image.

• Options
    Excellent, I'll see you at 9am then! Nice and slow for Parkrun, yes?
  • Options

Yep, slow. It is a shame though as the reverse route is much faster and is taunting me for a race.

I shall have to beg Moraghan, but I think my 50th parkrun will be 24th September (2 weeks before GER) and I wanted to give it a serious sub 20 bash and use this to roughly decide on a HMP.

On reflection sub 1.30 is probably out of my reach just yet, but I'll still aim for a considerable pb and then focus on Brass Monkey.

• Options

Left it a bit too late to run to parkrun so ended up driving and only ran 1.5m before the start. Met up with CC2 and we were a little enthusiastic in the talking to pay attention to pace and found ourselves at sub 8. Oops. Slowed it down, but pretty much the same scenario for the rest of the run.

Although I run there regularly, CC2 showed me the official lap of the Town Moor Marathon. I think I mentioned some time back I was musing about the possibility of running it in late 2012, because it is local, to give me a reintroduction to the marathon before a shot at VLM 2013.... well, this example pointed out what an awful idea that is image. Even without the wind (yet again!), 5 laps would be tough.

Good run, good company and I finished my run leaving her with around 5 miles to go. She did wonder what people must have thought of her running a 5K with a camelbak and loaded with gels image.

12.11m, 1:44:26, avg 8.37

Split Summary
    ====
    1) - 1m - 8:41(8:41/m) - 94cal
    2) - 1m - 8:19(8:19/m) - 96cal
    3) - 1m - 8:16(8:16/m) - 97cal
    4) - 1m - 8:40(8:40/m) - 97cal
    5) - 1m - 8:32(8:32/m) - 93cal
    6) - 1m - 8:50(8:50/m) - 93cal
    7) - 1m - 8:51(8:51/m) - 96cal
    8) - 1m - 8:40(8:40/m) - 95cal
    9) - 1m - 8:40(8:40/m) - 96cal
    10) - 1m - 8:40(8:40/m) - 95cal
    11) - 1m - 8:32(8:32/m) - 96cal
    12) - 1m - 8:50(8:50/m) - 96cal
    13) - 0.11m - 57(8:44/m) - 10cal 

• Options
    CC2 - we didn't dodge the camera after all. Finishing line shot of us on FB. At least it was after we had crossed the line.
  • Options

Oh no. *goes off to check out FB*

• Options

It wouldn't be too bad if the colours weren't so off. You're bright orange and I'm bright pink!

I ended up with 20.44 miles as I miscalculated somewhat. Oops. 

• Options

I thought it might have been some kind of effect depending on the colour you were wearing. I was definitely wearing orange, you were definitely not wearing pink image.

I think I'm going to do the 100m. Hexham is a bit of a trek and as I was making tentative enquires about participating, OH had arranged to co-incide it with a visit to his sister's, who lives over that way. As we'll literally be passing the track anyway I may as well. I'm not going to stick around for anything else.

I'll do my usual easy to steady prep and increasing strides, etc.

• Options

I'm not sure what my time was today as I left straight away, results should be up tomorrow. T&F is so different to road running, much more adrenalin. I enjoyed it even though I still felt like an imposter.

My legs felt pretty heavy with the previous two 15m days and I didn't seem to have much power. I also think my reaction to the gun was a bit slow. My conclusion remains that 100m is one of those distances that feels like it should be over much sooner than it is!

I got 16.5 last time and OH thinks he heard 16.6, but I'm not sure. I was 3rd, but there were only 5 in the race image.

Warmup -

Split Summary
    ====
    1)  - 1m - 8:45(8:45/m) - 95cal
    2)  - 1m - 8:36(8:36/m) - 96cal
    3)  - 1m - 8:08(8:08/m) - 97cal
    4)  - 0.27m - 1:52(6:50/m) - 14cal (walkback strides)

I didn't do my "cool down" until hours later when OH dropped me off a few miles away on the way home. Don't worry, I had changed clothes when visiting, I wasn't sat in my kit image. I thought it was 3m away, but turned out to be 4m. 

Today was supposed to be slow and tonight's run looks anything but, however it was 3 miles seriously downhill AND with a strong tailwind. That never happens. I didn't see much point in slowing down to recovery pace for the last mile as the overall effort was extremely low.

Split Summary
    ====
    1)  - 1m - 8:09(8:09/m) - 99cal
    2)  - 1m - 8:29(8:29/m) - 96cal
    3)  - 1m - 8:38(8:38/m) - 95cal
    4)  - 1m - 8:59(8:59/m) - 97cal
    5)  - 0.07m - 40(8:59/m) - 7cal 

• Options
    Is it possible to make any other face in a sprint race?

No sunglasses image. I didn't think it was the done thing at the track image.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/kaysdee/DSC_1793.jpg

Nice...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/kaysdee/profile-1.jpg

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Wow count the clipboards in that photo! I dont think you look bad at all, but there you go.

Will be interesting to see what your time is, looks like a lovely track though. 

Gradient of the run home I presume in the chart? Looks like a perfect run to me image

• Options

Ha, I know. Must have been loads of them for the longer races as they tend to have more runners.

It was a nice track. It will probably end up being 16.6, which is slower than last time. Hmpf. 4th place was quite far behind me (in sprint position terms), so if that's what OH heard, I can't imagine that was the 4th place time.

I'm lucky that the track I currently use - well, twice - is the same quality. What I really need to do is have a proper walk around and look at all the markers for the sessions that aren't straight forward 200/400. There are loads of them, it was sheer luck that I chose the right 300m line on Friday.

Yes, perfect run for me too, especially with the wind behind me. I don't usually get that sort of luck image.

The only thing is no matter which direction I come from, I can't avoid some kind of climb to home. It can be a bit annoying when tired.

• Options
    This one might change your mind. At about 50m...

Yes, I am guilty of the assumption that I would beat number 33, black vest with yellow stripe image. She took me completely by surprise as she shot off into the distance! (not sure if it will zoom in properly if you click it)

At least there was only one teenager today, who won. 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/kaysdee/100m.jpg

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

The thing I found when watching that meet at Battersea was unlike longer races I was rubbish at predicting who would win...quite often the women (and men) I looked at and though nah no way too chunky ended up coming through to win! Different sport at the end of the day image

The markers confuse me too (but at least at Battersea they are labelled) most of them are for hurdles I have realised! 

Don't think I could cope with 300m though would confuse me too much image

• Options
    Well done there today Kelly!