Options

2012 Marathon thread

Comments

• Options

Would be great if the 4 of us could try to meet up at London! Booked the same hotel, gardens overlook the Embankment about mile 25 - champagne's on me (well the first bottle!)

Hope you feel better tomorrow NP.

A nice easy 20.3 miles for me today at 8:45mm pace. Had 3 gels but I was hungry and think I'm the greedy one on here!

Worst split for me was my best marathon time at VLM 10 1:37:38/1:43:18 - only had a 4 minute split for my 1st! Amsterdam this year was a 1 minute split but it was a nice relaxed one.

So busy on here, great to read all the training, marathon stories etc. Must go add up my mileage.

F

• Options
    Fiona- join Fetch- no addingimage Nice 20 tooimage
  • Options
    Well done Fiona... Fetch is good as it keeps a log for you... Start of the yeAr is a good time to join if you plan too... Plus it's free image
  • Options
    Im looking forward to Rome, but it's my first and only one booked for 2012 so far !
  • Options

Hi Darrenimage Never done Rome, but sounds great

On a more local level- don't know if anyone is planning on entering Snowdonia mara this year, but entries are supposed to open at midnight, but are in fact open nowimage

• Options

Thought I'd better pop over here as someone turned the lights out on the 2011 thread image

Did my last run of 2011 when we got back from devon this afternoon and discovered that it wasn't the light making me run quicker!

5.25 miles at an average pace of 10:05 mm.

Splits of:
    10:20
    10:22
    10:06
    09:52
    09:48
    Last quarter mile at 09:42 pace!

Yearly mileage of 1415

9 months over 100 miles

4 more miles in December than last year

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Darren,

Hi & good luck for Rome.

Bridget,

Well done.

• Options

I was tempted to Rome by thought fresh pasta the night before a few bottles of Prosecco, post race.

Won't be buying my Euros just yet though, pretty sure i have some old Italian Lira somewhere.

LOL !

• Options

Darren- might be back to Lira, for sure- might be millions for a loaf of bread though- LOL!image

Bridget- good runningimage

• Options
    Total for the year (from June when I stopped treadmilling): 918 miles
    Best month: August, 193 miles.

Goals achieved: Marathon in under 4 fours, HM in under 2 hours.

Goals not achieved. 10k in under 45 mins, HM in under 1:45.

Happy New Year all!!
  • Options
    Darren - I have a bottle of Prosecco on the go right now image
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year.
  • Options
    Ten slow miles for me yesterday followed up with a 19:32 Parkrun this morning, 34 seconds off my previous post injury best a few weeks back. Still over a minute off my PB but I'm well chuffed as I really thought I'd struggle to get under 20. Maybe there is something in this base building after all image

Good to see Gobi after as well, I saw a streak of yellow run past me in the first 200 metres and had my suspicions that shoes like that might belong to him...
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Welcome Darren

HY4 : Bacchus marathon looks like loads of funimage

MF: Great run!

Completed my second week of the P&D 18/55 plan. 36m for the week and no strains.image

Interesting articles in the January RW - p.47 on running long runs slowly, and p.81 on burning fat not carbs (it even suggests training carb-depleted to force your body to adapt to using fats). 

Happy New Year to all. 

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Teknik,

Thanks.  I've got my fancy dress planned - a homemade yellow and blue tutu (club colours).  I'm not going to decide on strategy get regarding the drink stations until I see how training goes.

MF,

Well done.

-------------

Got my new year off to a good start 3.1 miles ave pace of 11:15 (about 15 secs per mile too quick for my easy run pace - but an improvement on recent runs as they've been a bit too quick).

• Options
    Teknik- interesting theory..... No carbs??? After yesterday's unplanned long run with no water or gels etc it's certainly got me thinking. Might stop using gels, juice on long runs and but obviously take water. If I can run for that length of time without anything I'll surely be better with water??!!
  • Options

Happy New year everyone

started my return from injury with a slow 2 miles, all seems ok so may do another 2 tomorrow!

trying to persuade the family to go out for a bike ride but failing miserably there!

• Options
    Good start hy4.
    Well done Moscow..,
    Your on plan tekniks.. Good stuff.

13 miles today with a little hangover. Feel good now. Ended week on 42 miles so a decent week for me!!

Off to watch Sherlock Holmes tonight and then Brian Conley in panto tomorrow... Oh yes I am!!
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Tek - I never eat breakfast before my morning sessions even the 20 milers. This is not new research and is contradicted in other pieces which say not fueling the body means the metabolism doesn't start properly.

Nice to meet MF today, I was doing 3 parkruns so ran hard but did nothing stupid. 12 miles once I had finished.
  • Options
    I don't usually have breakfast either, maybe just a banana if that.
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    So Gobi / MF, do you think it's a good idea, then, or just your personal preferences?
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Tek

Look at it like this

Am I supper skinny ? No
    Do I bonk in marathons ? No

In conclusion I would say it is not great for weight loss but there is no doubt my body is efficient with carbs.

I have just done 12 miles including the 3 parkruns on a coffee that had 2 sugars in it.
  • Options
    Just done 15 hungover miles on 2 bananas.

Got the hang of running at 9:30 per mile and over the last 5 miles timed the pace to within +/- 5 secs a mile without even checking on the Garmin
  • Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Happy New Year everyone. Here's to an injury free 2012 for us all.

Just did my first Fetch post - an impressive 3 miles recovery run in 26:30! Just noticed only one pair of my road shoes has done less than 700 miles.

F

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Fiona,

Well done.  Good job the New Year sales are on!

Gaz,

Well done.

• Options
    Nice one Gaz....

Fiona, good to see you join fetch, sounds like the jan sales may bring new shoes image
  • Options
    I never eat before my morning session either. Never eat until after my session for the day. Probably why I'm fat. image
  • Options

I've done 4 morning runs this week on a mug of milky coffee and not really noticed any problems.  Not tried beyond 7 miles like that though. 

Decided to save my long run for tomorrow so only did 6.7 today.  Focussed on not losing too much pace up the (short) hills and averaged 10:27.  I had to concentrate on slowing down at first as I found myself heading off at sub 10 min miling without meaning too!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    L O N D O N !   Can I say that now? image
  • Options
    And the marathon is the only race distance and London is the only marathon