Options

Mums Running Club

Comments

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭

If I'd had a second child I would have tried my damndest for an elective section - apparently though they now make you go for a natural birth unless there are contraindications, even if you've had a section before and request one again.  I just figure that everything below the scar is intact - why would I want to end up with a scar AND wrecked "bits"?  I didn't find recovery from my C-section bad at all - I was up and about the morning after it (had it 9:45pm the previous evening) as a nurse prematurely removed my catheter so I had no choice if I needed a wee!  The worst bit was trying to get the mega-sticky dressing off - it wasn't stuck to the stitches but was stuck fast to the skin around them and took about 40 minutes of soaking in the shower to get it off.  I wasn't allowed to leave hospital until it was off though so that was motivation enough for me!  Caro, can you not insist on having it restitched?  That seems pretty poor to me that they would just leave it like that.

TTid, sorry to hear you're feeling down in the dumps and lacking in motivation.  I can identify with that - sometimes the more I have to do, the less able I am to make a start.  Then once I do finally break the back of it I'm like a thing possessed!

CC, wow, very impressed at how much you got done!  I was absolutely pooped last night - three late nights this week trying to get stuff done for Kit's party (well past midnight) which is not compatible with an early start in the morning.  I was on the train at 6:54am this morning - busy day at work (in a lull just now!)  I managed a pile of ironing with our infuriating leaking iron (MUST get a new one!) and prepared all the veg for a casserole for tonight - in-laws coming down for Kit's birthday weekend and will have very little time when we get in from school pick-up to get it in the oven if Kit is to eat with us.  Need to slice the leeks and take the fat off the chicken thighs but other than that it's good to go.

Right, best get on with some work.  MM, will check out the Pilates class and see if it's feasible.  I do think it would be beneficial - although I'm not doing anywhere near your mileage, thank God.

• Options
    I woke up this morning almost drowning in my own sweat...and therefore almost drowning poor Sam as well, but given that I was unable to get out of bed for the last two days, this was actually an improvement image. I feel like I've had the flu, which is unlikely as I had the vaccine in October. We've all been sick apart from Sam. J is only back at nursery today (thank God). What a horrendous week! I think it's my own fault, J was sick since last Sat, hubby came down with it on Monday, on Ztuesday I was feeling a bit run down but needed to escape for a bit so went to do my sprints (7.25m), and after that it all went to pot.

Anyhow, I'm hoping the worst is over!

Only just caught up, sorry that so many of you have been down in the dumps. Hopefully the warmer weather is helping. EF, sorry to hear about your sister. TT, get your holiday booked!!

MM, well done on the interview! It sounds like it went really well. I can run through pivots with you on the phone if you like-but only on a Mac, as the windows version will be slightly different. If you get the job and need to revise, let me know!

Ouch Caro, that does not sound good. I would turn up at the Birthing Centre and ask them to have a look if you're worried.

Sam is 3 months today!! We've just been for his injections. He is sooo lovely and smiley, it makes my day when he wakes up grinning at me image
  • Options
    Joh - that sounds like a nasty virus of some sort - hope you can get some rest, its taken us ages to shake this cough thing that we have had.
    3 months already! Eek! Time is passing very quickly here too, can't quite believe Martha is 4 on Tuesday!

Hope everyone had a good weekend - I'm off to my dad's while hubby is on stag do in Ireland.

TT - hope you do get a holiday booked soon.

I have had two friends say their episiotomy was worse than the tearing they had first time. Making me wince just thinking about it - so hoping this baby is kind on its way out!
  • Options
    Joh - poor you, sounds horrid. I'm sure I read somewhere that you can still get flu even if you've had the jab as it doesn't cover all strands of flu. Or maybe I made it up as my excuse for not having the jab, can't remember now ...

CC - certainly sounds like you had a busy evening. Chilli jam sounds great, my hubby would happily put chillis in every meal he cooked if we let him, could you let me have your recipe please as quite fancy having a go at making some myself.

Minks - hope Kit has a lovely birthday weekend.

MM - hopefully the boys will stop fighting when their friends come to play. Drives me mad when mine start bickering and fighting (although luckily not physically just yet), usually feel like leaving the room and letting them get on with it but usually end up trying to intervene.

I don't regret having natural deliveries after my c-section, was good to use the equipment if you know what I mean, but pain from cuts or tearing awful. After my c-section I stopped taking the pain killers on day 2 as apart from not being able to stand up straight I felt fine, but with the episiotomy it was probably close to 2 weeks before I felt at all comfortable and pretty painful for most of that first week.

So I have a clothes question for you ladies; after finally putting all my washing away the other night I realised that I don't like a lot of what I own. The weekend clothes are fine actually, it's just the stuff for work that I'm not keen on. So where do you all shop for slightly smarter clothes? I'm not talking suits or anything like that (most of the guys who work for me wear jeans) but I want to look professional without going over the top but most shops seem to cater either for skinny teenagers or your mums. So where do we go for clothes for nearly 40 year old ladies?
  • Options
    tescos and asda, karen. seriously.... but then i HATE clothes shopping!
  • Options
    Smartish clothes? What are they?

MW thinks I have an infection as apparently there is an 'offensive smell' down there - nice ! So have a GP appt at 4.10 so will see what she says. It's one of the really nice GPs so that's good.

Also Eric has only lost 90g since birth, and he would have been allowed to lose up to 300g so I guess my huge boobs are doing the job!

Minks my friend had an elective c section last wk after having an emergency first time. They do try and dissuade you but they cannot say no at the end of the day.

I feel a bit of mean mummy as I e mailed the pre school last night to see if they had space on a thurs pm for M, and they do, so I have added an extra session, so she'll be doing her 5 free sessions plus 1 extra and I'll get all day on a thurs just with Eric. I was slightly panicking at the thought of what to do with them both on a thurs afternoon, and I know she won't mind. It's only £12 a session and it'll just be till the summer hols, so much cheaper than nursery anyway.
  • Options
    Caro - could the MW not have been a bit more delicate in her diagnosis??? Boo to an infection in any case - hopefully they can give you something to clear it up quickly. And yay to huge boobs to feed babies, make the most of them while you've got them, mine are pathetically shrivelled now after breastfeeding 3.

CM - these days I hate clothes shopping too, hence my predicament as most of my clothes are so old now. Just seems like there are a million more important things to be doing than shopping for stuff to wear. Problem is we're moving offices soon and rather than being able to hide away in my office the new plan is we're all out in a huge open plan space with other departments so as I'm going to be a bit more "on show" want to make sure I don't look like I've just covered myself in glue and run through Oxfam.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭

Karen, I buy a lot of my work clothes from The White Company.  They're quite expensive though image  Depneds what your 'look' is - I tend to favour neutral colours, simple shapes and clean lines as I am very small so fussy clothes are a no.  Also means everything works together.  If you buy from them you get a discount card for future purchases which gives you up to 15% off, they also have regular 20-30% off events and a fantastic sale (sometimes up to 70% off).

Not mean at all, Caro - you know M will enjoy it and I always think second and subsequent children tend to miss out a bit on that lovely one-to-one time that is the preserve of the first or only child, so nothing wrong with trying to buy yourself some time just to be with Eric.  Boo to the 'offensive smell' - hope GP can sort you out.  My poor SIL had a nightmare with infected stitches; couldn't sit properly for weeks and I don't think my brother saw any 'action' for quite a while longer than that!

Clearly I'm a wimp as would not want to opt for a natural birth if I get could away without!  May have been a different story had I had a natural birth with Kit as then I wouldn't have wanted to end up with a C-section scar as well as tears/episiotomy.  Not likely to be an issue now though - not sure I could start again with a newborn with Kit approaching 6 and me over 43 by the time it arrived.  I am very grateful for and happy with what I have, and can't believe my beautiful boy will be 5 on Monday. image

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Oh, and I hate clothes shopping too, so deliberately find places I can do it online and spare myself the pain of hot, cramped changing rooms and unflattering mirrors!
  • Options
    Smart clothes - M & S or next?
    VBAC - worked for me, 2 vag births and not a stitch (not sure wht that says about me....)
    Caro, hopefully some abs will make you feel better but won't make stitches neater so ask GP if it needs redoing.
    Joh - sounds awful, hope Sam stays well, can't believe it's been 3 months either.
    MM good luck controlling the masses.....
    Minks - yawn...... (((())))

Any inspiration for stopping thumb sucking?
  • Options
    Oh Kinsey, where might you be moving to? image
  • Options
    I was going to suggest next as well and principles, I think both had half decent petites sections which is important for midgets like me.

Also waiting to hear any good advice re thumb sucking. Camlo, which one of yours is a sucker?

Caro, ouchie ouchie! Hope you get it sorted soon.

CC great bit of productivity. Going to work from home today and also get everything ready for tonight's party.

Not seen Lotte for a few days, hope all ok in lotteland.
  • Options
    Caro- make sure GP gives you Abs you can BF with! Not like my annoying Dr. Sorry to hear uncomfortable, I had natural tears rather than cut and I thought it looked like some of my stitches had come out leaving a gap where there shouldn't be one. As you say they won't re-stitch, I'm going to get Dr to examine me at the 6wk check as should be more healed by then to see what they think. I feel your pain with the weeing too! I found the grazes much worse than the stitches because of the pain when going to the loo. For the first week after Maggie I ran a bath every time i needed a wee, obviously didn't have time to do that this time round so went for squeezy lucozade sport bottle filled with warm water.
    Pleased to hear Eric is thriving though image

I have a thumb sucker, she tends to only do it when tired or watching telly/in the car. I do hope she just naturally stops some day...

Have been forcing the dummy on poor Rosie, she is finally taking it. She is such a screamer when not being held that I had to do something as wasn't getting any playtime with Maggie without constant interruptions and really want us to enjoy our days together.

Yay to sleeping Archie JT, was he trying to drop his nap? Maggie sometimes doesn't drop off for ages or not at all but I still leave her in her cot and she chats away playing with her teddies happily while I have a break (or sit feeding Rosie actually!).

Am I the only one who likes clothes shopping?! Obviously not right now as am too fat still but I really enjoy a couple of hours pottering round the shops (without kids of course!). I don't have to do smart at work but I'm a GAP girl if need anything vaguely smart for conferences/lectures etc.

Can't remember what else I was going to say....
    MM, sounds like the interview went well, good luck for second round. And hope the afternoon with all the kids goes better than this morning.

JohBo- yes you can definitely still get flu as there are many strains, but they usually 'update' it every year so maybe just another type of nasty virus. Poor you though and hope you feel better soon.

Baby trying to wake up so think my time is up!
  • Options

I'm a next woman, especially for trousers/skirts due to leg length. With some supermarket clothes if they fit. Sainsbury's and Asda too big, tesco does size 6 though. I also buy White Stuff clothes in the sale as all the small sizes are left which is nice for me!! Have to be careful types of tops though as am a 6 really and their clothes are 8 smallest, but seem to be small 8s.

I'm quite a fussy shopper. I buy slightly different clothes, hate to look plain if you know what I mean!! Always jazz up tops with necklaces etc. Hate shopping though as nothing ever fits so tend to buy online and send back which is why next is so good as have very good courier here.

Just had lunch in Wacky Warehouse pub with Sophie's friends and her Mums, not the nicest place but friendly staff and food was OK. Sophie now shattered after dance this morning too, coffee at another friends of S's, supermarket for tampons (!!)( just to add to my pains!!) and then lunch. Now for the whole school run with 2 extra kids to pick up plus gear, then think garden and trampoline for them until their Mum turns up at 4pm to help me.

Praying hubbie gets an earlier train back from Brussels, would be so good to see him. I am not a good single Mummy!! image

• Options
    Just taken me an hour to catch up - good job both boys have decided on a nap image

Congrats Caro - loving Eric, and obviously well worth the wait. Hope your tears heal quickly. I agree with the c-section recovery being quicker than the episiotomy - I finished my packets of painkillers with my 'natural' birth (clearly having your baby hauled out with a pair of metal salad tongs can't really be called that) but stopped taking them 2 days after my c-section. I remember clearly not being able to sit without wincing for a good while after my stitches despite having been ok for the first day or two. Anyway. Jug of water and some tea tree oil by the loo to pour over yourself as you wee. Lovely image

Camlo - I have a friend who has a vibration plate - she lost masses of weight and swears it's down to that. I don't like them - make my eyes blurry.

Cm - tough choice but I agree b). What have you to lose? If they withdraw from you then you have achieved option a) but at least had your chance to say your piece. Saying that though I am not good at confrontation so am not sure I could do it.

Gah. E crying.....
  • Options
    Ok, he's fine.

Some good training going on - EF - you will be fine. There always runs you have to abandon and you feel like a loser because you can't go back and do them, you've got to move on! Onwards and upwards!

I have a cold again and a loss of mojo after racing at the weekend (I sucked) so I'm having a few days off to recover. Need to find mojo again especially as will be busy next week with taking E up to London for some more lasering on his birthmark (so far has no effect) and they are going to put him out so they can do a good range of test patches image

On a totally random note - bought myself a new nail file today, was £12 (!!!) but is actually amazing. Is crystals and guaranteed for a lifetime. Is very good, which is lucky as I did feel a bit stupid paying that much for a file! Girl has to treat herself occasionally though and I so rarely go to town I did go a bit nuts in Boots. Feeling a bit old - especially having seen some very awful photos of me running lately - jowly probably covers it. Need face exercises and good wrinkle cream I think, either that or Botox image
  • Options

Oh and Camlo. Josh stopped overnight as he got a scab and I said if you stop sucking you won't get a scab anymore. Sorted!!

Harry took longer but just night time sucking and not all night. We discussed that his thumb might fall off and that actually it looked a bit silly to be sucking his thumb at his age. He stopped after a bit of me saying 'thumb' each time it happened about a year ago.

Read more later, 4 boys in one bedroom desceding to chaos and clinging little girl. Arrhhh!

Plus hubbie's train ticket can't be transfered so he is now sitting in Eurostar terminal for 3 hours until his train. Arrrhhh!

• Options

ouch to infected stitches and yuck to sweaty flu bugs...

you don't look jowly to me, tallbird! and in any case, i hardly think running pics usually show us at our most glam!

i loathe clothes shopping, mainly because i despise the way i look. i hide myself under baggy jumpers, long skirts, long cardigans etc. i never wear make-up or jewellery - mainly so as not to draw attention to myself, i guess.

i have decided that i am going to confront my parents. but i think i am also going to say that i don't want any contact with them at the moment. am seeing my counsellor tomorrow morning and will talk it through with her.

my back is stuffed, unfortunately. did a 5.5 mile run with club last night but ended up walk / jogging with the slowest runner as i was in so much. pain. so by the time i ran there and back as well it was 6.5 miles. could hardly move this morning. am in agony still image so no running for me until it is better. am trying to do exercises and stretches but really is too painful to stand it at the moment.

have had a busy day though.  got a call yesterday from mortgage advisor to say that my solicitor is not on the approved panel for my mortgage company. ARGH. huge local solicitor as well - madness. so i had to sort that today; as well as being on the phone to the insurance company trying to get them to change my claim for being hit by something falling off a lorry to non-fault (which they have done - after about 3 hours on the phone!). everything takes SOOOO long. then i also had to pay for E's birthday party today. as well as going over to T's and supervising the move of my furniture and then going to the storage place and setting it all up. and i have paid the balance of my laser surgery as well today. so a day of admin. and pain....

• Options

Sounds like a good purchase Tallbird, maybe I should get one, my nails look shocking. Also been ill for ages, think I might synasitis as it's been going on for weeks. Of course now is Friday so have to wait until Monday. Think it might be cos not doing any exercise. I think doing nothing is often worse image...

Can't persuade the boys to go outside, means a bedroom of carnage to clear up later. Hopefully they will go out soon there is a lot of energy in that room, 3 x 5yrs  and 1 x 7 yr old boys!!! Shame as a lovely sunny afternoon.

S playing with peppa pig house so some peace for 5 mins...

• Options
    I only post the least saggy looking photos of myself on fb cm, running clearly makes things worse. Will have to find a pose that looks ok during races: grinning like a loon might do it image

Ouch to your back. Something you've suffered from before?
  • Options

Oh CM (()). Pain killers? Can you get some diclofenac. Brilliant stuff. Lots of us on the bench now image.

You look fab CM and shouldn't hide yourself. Be proud love of what you have!!

• Options
    Dr was nice - she's the one that does the 8 wk baby check up, and she remembered Matilda's name which I was impressed with as I really have hardly seen her at all. I have antibiotics, but she thinks as the muscle layer is intact then the top, superficial layer should heal on its own. I tried to explain the sort of v heavy, achey, painful sensation on the right around my rectum and buttock but prob didn't explain it v well and she didn't really know what that might be but said give it time which is fair enough. Forgot to ask if there were any other pain killers I could take apart from paracetamol, but I'm guessing not.
    I can choose which Dr I see for my 6 wk post natal check, so I'll request her.

TB hope all goes well with E next wk. I do think it's faded since the early days, from the pics on facebook.

Picked M up from her last day at nursery, was a bit sad, but I've had a bit of a love/hate relationship with the place so more sad because of the milestone rather than the actual event.

M has a b day party at a soft play place tomorrow - it's the little boys b day whose parents looked after M all wk end last wk end. Would love to go and show Eric off but think it would be more sensible to stay home and rest, so I will. A case of the mind being willing but the body not able.

I am jinxing myself now but am so glad I am not ill at the moment as coughing or sneezing would be agony.
  • Options
    JT had to laugh at your expression sure as heckers like, if I hadn't known you were from bramhall before I would have guessed as my lovely friend from uni days is from bramhall and she is the only other person I have ever heard use that expression!
  • Options

Kids in front of octonauts, tea carnage cleared and floor hoovered. Phew!! Actually they are all good boys. They did go on the trampoline for 30 mins while I cooked tea and friend(their Mum) turned up for chat which was nice. Sophie is shattered, so bath in a bit I think.

She is also on the point of climbing out despite being such a tiny (still wearing 9-12 month trousers at 21 months!!). She is on the verge of dropping sleep too, again no way yet image, as after only 20 mins today she is very tired.

Daddy going to sprint for the 7.30pm train from Paddington, that would be good. We shall see!!

Time for bed carnage then I think wine for me!!