Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Hi everyone.

So we basically need to reduce the mileage but keep the same intensity in the runs you do complete? i normally do 2 5 mile runs in the week and a long run on a sat and a 3.5 miler on a sunday morning. This week I did 4 miles yesterday and 4 miles at lunch today and am planning a 12 miler on saturday and 3.5 on sunday. Does that sound ok?

I am getting excited/nervous now! x

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Gaz & Green Fairy - hope will try another run next week, but will probably defer. His really disappointed after all the long run through this horrible winter. He has London to Brighton bike ride and Ride London 100 to look forward too.
  • Options

Well I can understand his dissapoint, as its 50/50 for me now.

I'd just gotten over the flu too and was starting to feel good again.

Compared to last year my mileage has been awful due to the weather/illness.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Gaz - I do know how you feel as I pulled my hamstring 6 days before Beachy. I did Beachy but walked all the hills. It's not the same as Beachy is not a pb course. This was hubby's first road marathon and he was on course for a sub 4hr marathon.
  • Options

Tell him theres always next year. If you're not fit enough to run then its not going to be enjoyable.

If I can do it this year, and my goal is out the window, then at least I'll relax and enjoy it.

• Options
    I got injured just before Abingdon last year and had to pull out. Done my head in!!!! When I was fit again I concentrated on slowly increasing my mileage and long runs so when I started training for Brighton I hit the ground running. ( forgive pun)

If you do have to pull out try and put a positive spin on it. The next one will be along before you know it. Tracy g and gaz what about MK MARATHON still places and its not til end of may????
  • Options

Afternoon all

well 14 miles done that leave just 1more LSR and that’s only 10 miles as for the next couple of weeks just 3x5miles one 6 and a 4 then the big one can't believe I'm coming to the end of yet another 18 weeks of training for Brighton it doesn’t seem 5 minutes ago we were just starting and i was only ever going to run one marathon

fingers cross it been my best ever year training wise the last couple of time I’ve lost a week due to illness or had to miss the odd run here and there this time i haven’t missed one run

• Options
    Toby I remember the first one well. Lovely weather. Awesome atmosphere. What a great day that was image
  • Options

Mark have to agree there i love Brighton and have enjoyed it every year but there was something kind of special about that first year

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Mark - hubby has Beachy to train for as well. Don't think it helps that I'm doing Brighton. This is my last Brighton, just too expensive a weekend. I've just got to motivate him to train next year and kick him out the door for his long runs.
  • Options

Today was a scheduled rest day, I might even have Two pints tonight after workimage

5 miles tomorrow afternoon, and a decent paced 12 on Saturday.

• Options
    At 6.30am this morning, I suddenly thought 'what do I focus on after Brighton'? Want to maintain the miles as I'm doing the Thames Meander marathon in August, then the royal parks Ultra in October.

So what did I do; oops I've entered a May marathon.....
  • Options
    Sometimes I do wish I lived in England I could do all sorts of races!love it GCE oops just entered another marathon! Hill reps tonight and someone asked me what I was doing after Brighton I said I had no idea so he suggested I do the Round the Rock ultra 48 miles around Jersey, cliff paths, beaches and roads etc, not really sure my body could cope with that though!

Forecast is for snow/sleet tomorrow!
  • Options
    Oh no Jelley, not more snow and sleet! Clocks go forward on Saturday night and I'm still running with ski gloves over the top of my thermal running gloves.

It's a long way back in this thread now, but thanks for sharing all your naughty treat eating.....it certainly helped me get over my apple crumble and ice-cream guilt.

Did my last mid-week half marathon this morning. It's all down hill from here, until the big one. Guess that means getting the appetite under control.....all I think about is eating, even when I'm running. I need a food taper.
  • Options
    New app now available image

Looks like more splits this year too!!!!!!
  • Options
    Just checked out the app. There's a checkpoint roughly every couple of miles so should make following people a bit more accurate.
  • Options

I'm not sure what to do as I have missed 1 LSR due to illness a couple of weeks ago and my longest run to date has been 17 miles which I did last weekend.  I'm planning to do 20 miles tomorrow but I am wondering if it's too late after reading the thread about tapers. 

So much advice and so little time - help!  image

BTW the Brighton Marathon signs are up on the A27 that tells everyone about the road closures on the 14th.  Made my stomach flip this morning!!

• Options

Picklelilly - 'I need a food taper' big LOLimage

Slowly, Steadily - Last weekend I ran for 3 hours, the recommended maximum for my type of runner, and I 'only' ran 15 miles.  I'll do the same this weekend and taper for last two weeks.  Short taper is ok if you haven't been doing many long runs to recover from.  if you are happy to do 20 miles then go for it but I feel 17 again would be ok.  What is important is time on your feet.  By the way I am run/walking 5mins/1min so only averaging 12 minute miles.

Roll on the 14th April.  Can't wait to start ticking off those miles after all the training ones with nothing to show.

Have nervously been looking up long range weather forecasts...........image

• Options

Well woke up this morning to find a strange glowing object in sky i was going to the air force and report an UFO but then remembered it was call the sun i must resisted the temptation to go out in shorts as the last couple of times i done this when this glowing object appeared i frightened it away with my legs and we then never saw it again for weeks

• Options
    Toby3, I believe people in the past used to call it 'sun'? Lets not get too excited, we don't want to scare it away!!

It has put a smile on my face, and made me feel better about my 6 miler this morning.
  • Options
    Blue sky's at maidenhead Easter ten.

5 degrees warmer bad I'd take this for Brighton image
  • Options

I have to say it is beautifully sunny in Salisbury, although the back of my right knee is still sore, so no runs for another few days. I am determined to put what I have learned over the past 6 months into practice, safe in the knowledge I have done over 400 miles, and that at this stage, health and fitness is far more important than trying to squeeze in extra miles when not fully fit.

• Options

Well, woke up this morning to a nice sunny day and hadnt had a chance to try out running in my cropped running tights or running vest planning to wear at Brighton, so decided to go out for a quick 2 mile run around the block.  Hope I havent scared the sun away, as it hid behind some clouds whilst I was out running.

• Options
    Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

The weather is slightly warmer and the sun is out! But my feet are sore and I am reluctant to get out there for my training  image Maybe it is my fairly newish trainers. But I have been for long runs in them without discomfort. At least I have avoided any strains or injury (famous last words!).

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

MarkD wrote (see)
    Blue sky's at maidenhead Easter ten.
    5 degrees warmer bad I'd take this for Brighton image

How did you get on? 73:30ish for me which is a little quicker than planned (was aiming for 74 minutes) but seemed a good effort level. Am now going to have dicussion with my coach about pace for the big one image

• Options
    Curly45. I followed the curly45 race plan. 3 mile warm up then 10@ MP. Finished in 73.46. Exactly the same feeling of going a little too fast but felt comfortable all the way round. Legs were a little heavy but that's cos they're still got all the training miles in them.

Still toying with 7.30 as MP but still not sure. Maybe I'll do what your coach tells you to do it worked today'simage
  • Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Well I'm thinking about 7:30 so we could always start a 7:30 bus (other half is going for this too now)...

Glad you ran well image Didnt go off too fast I hope!

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I have started carbo-loading today.

Which basically means I couldn't resist the freshly baked hot cross buns image

• Options

Last long run for me today. Really didn't know where to run as I have pretty much exhausted all the roads round where I live and fancied running a few miles without knowing exactly what's round the next corner!

I planned a 23 mile 'mini-Brighton' since the first half had some slight hills and the second half was pretty much flat. It also had a few parts which looped around and had an out-and-back part to it too. Just a shame there wasn't anyone cheering me on! All done in 2:44 so now I can relax this weekend knowing I've got this run out of the way.

Feel a bit more confident about going for sub-3 now based on my training and unless something goes wrong on the day I should be OK for GFA London time (3:10) if I do miss the sub-3.

Neil Spicer - what have your recent half times been? I did a 1:26:13 last Sunday in Hastings which, based on a marathon time predictor, put me at 2:59:45 (I'll take that!).

• Options

Tenjiso - I think I'll be partaking in some hot cross buns too this weekend! I'm sure there'll be some chocolate carbs going in the tank also!