Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Lovely sea view from apartment, been to expo, got our numbers, had a sports massage.

Well - as the saying goes if you can't beat them, join them.  Toby3 had already decided before we even got on the train in Bristol this morning that he was entering next year's marathon.  Snowmaiden decided on train, I was umming and ahhing right up until registration queue for 2014 marathon but am now a fully fledged participant for next year.

Looking forward to the meet up tomorrow and the event itself on Sunday, although I admit to being a tad emotional and will probably have a tear or two (or maybe a bucketful!)

Just crossing finish line on Sunday and getting my medal will be enough for me - definitely not going to try and run faster than I have prepared for, or take part in any competition with other runners.

Good luck to all participants - may everybody get the finish they have trained for and deserve.

• Options

Just popped in to say Good Luck to all runners for Sunday. I am gutted that I had to withdraw due to injury...but I will be there next year!

Have a great day everyoneimage

• Options
    Yay poohbear and snow maiden (and Toby)!! That's fantastic that you are doing it next year too!! MASSIVE GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!! Enjoy image
  • Options
    What's the entry price of 2014 registration tomorrow?
  • Options
    I didn't get a goodie bag. We got there at 2pm, so obviously all 1200 went rapidly...so I NEED to know what was in it. I don't know why, I just do...
  • Options

GCE £40 for prereg. You have to pay the full price this year. Not just a deposit. And Toby's trying for a sub 4hr. Poohbear and I are gunna run together though.

Mrs Funkin We didn't get them either. We were about half an hour ahead of you.

• Options
    (Oh and race strong everyone)
  • Options
    Had a fab day in Brighton today. Expo was a bit disappointing, very busy and at times not big enough to swing a cat. In my humble opinion it needs to open from the Thursday to spread out, but as someone has said it's still in the early years of developing.

Carbo loading going well, looking forward to my pasta meal tomorrow (going to have at lunch time not evening to help digest) and then final gels/drink intake before big day.

Wife going clothes shopping tomorrow while i will head down to sweatshop see if I can treat myself to a pair of new running shoes.

Catch up tomorrow.
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Expo was fine this afternoon when I got there, about 1:30pm.  No queuing at all.  Very windy as we walked down to the pier.  Did way too much walking TBH, and my legs are feeling it now image  I'm just going to laze around with my feet up tomorrow.

• Options
    Good luck everyone!

We are coming down tomorrow to register.
  • Options

john2443 - the guy I spoke too certainly wasn't Tim Hutchings.  I was embarassed that I didn't know his name as I was running 'his' race but then he wouldn't have known my name eitherimage.  My suggestion was not put as criticism but as an attempt to be helpful and it was taken as this.  He even called me 'Sir' !image

The contents of the goody bag was nothing to get excited about. A magazine, gels and energy bar, a pen, a plastic wallet which I still don't know what it's for, and the bag itself, a wiggle shoe bag.  Diamond tiaras and rolls of £50 notes were nowhere to be seen. Oh there was also a £10 gift voucher from ashmei.

I really want the race to be tomorrow, can't wait but I'll have to!

Who is starter?  Maybe Dame Kelly? There, I know her name.image

• Options

Couldn't have been more wrong! It's cricketer Matt Prior!

• Options
    Morning everybody, this time tomorrow we'll all be on missions to juggle the final intake of breakfast, fluids and juggling trips to the loo.

I'm heading out shortly for a 2 mile slow run, then back home for a bit of foam roller action before packing my bag and heading to the station.

Weather forecasts are varying largely, accuweather showing 14 & rain, iPhone weather showing 18, I like the BBC best 12 with sun behind clouds. Www.yr.no is really reliable showing 12 & cloudy with 9mph southerly winds. Happy days.

Fingers crossed those poundland plastic ponchos will only be needed to keep us warm at the start and not dry! (had the most miserable torrential rain at the Toronto marathon autumn last year, it doesn't make for a fun start!! (or PB)
  • Options

I got my number yesterday and was feeling very excited about Sunday, woke up early today and now I'm having a crisis of confidence! image  Lots of 'what ifs?' going around in my head and friends and family are being so kind and supportive that I feel really emotional already!  Is it just me?  Time to get a grip! 

Off to get my train ticket today so that I don't have any last minute panics tomorrow...

• Options
    Slowly steadily. It's perfectly normal... My partners accepted my snappiness all week. Goes with the territory.

I'd try and make sure you answer your what ifs with positive responses and close them down. what if you miss the train, we'll you'll get a later one, what if you need a pee at mile 19, then you'll stop for one....

You'll have a fabulous day, you'll achieve something that very few people do, your family & friends will be behind you the whole way and ready to celebrate at the end.

The biggest what if, I think you need to worry about I'd what if you love it so much, will you do another....

Don't let last minute doubt unravel your months of hard work. I always remember I'm doing it because I want to, not because I have to, therefore I must remember to enjoy it...
  • Options

Thanks GCE, I know you're right and I now I have a mantra;   

" I'm doing it because I want to, not because I have to, therefore I must remember to enjoy it..."

This forum has been a huge help to a marathon virgin like me, so thanks everyone for your support so far. 

Gotta go, getting tearful again... imageimage

• Options
    Nice big breakfast on its way, great way to start any Saturday. 24hrs to go OMG!!!!

Really looking forward to this. Weather looks crap today (PM) but perfect for tomorrow.
  • Options
    Yay to perfect weather for tomorrow!

Slowly steadily, save the tears for the finish line, they'll freely with the highest level of self satisfaction. Try and pre-occupy yourself today though, cinema perhaps?

Just having bagels, porridge and beetroot juice for brekkie. So looking forward to a full English breakfast Monday at the hotel (with hangover?)
  • Options

Just had last run in Preston Park before the rain hits later today, now for the carbs. Should be a few degrees warmer tomorrow morning than it was this morning.  Wind has shifted to around to the south which is much better than what was blowing across the seafront yesterday.

• Options

Just back from a slow, nerve-calming, checking-legs-still-working plod along the seafront.

Weather report: lovely! Yes, a bit of wind heading back east but nothing like it has been and quite refreshing really. Fingers crossed it stays like this for tomorrow

Kit report: any other ladies still wibbling about short sleeves v long sleeves, as I was, it's *definitely* short sleeve weather. Ok, bit goose-bumply for first mile, then just right. 

So exciting to see all the mile markers up and a couple of elite Kenyans, I think, out training passed me and I got all fangirl-ish...

Now, pasta for breakfast?

• Options

Morning all

Well sat here in bed in our room in Brighton looking out of the window weather doesn’t look to bad at the moment suns trying to shine shall be doing very little today have to go shopping then may pop back down the Exbo for some of the seminars  

then this evening will sort my running gear out for tomorrow will be up early tomorrow around 6am and try to be out the door by 6.30 for the walk to Preston park i like to get there early to try to bet the queue for the loos and last year got there late and missed the warm up which is always fun to take part in

• Options
    Funny thing is I haven't been able to pass that Travel Lodge for the last 5 weeks without imagining Toby's face staring out the window
  • Options

Sussex runner still a LMB  i see

• Options
    Still have no idea what that means, Alan
  • Options

some of us are meeting at the travel lodge at Preton park fel fre to join us even sussex runner your more than welcome

Travel Lodge Preston Park 4.00pm Saturday

Toby3

Poohbear

Tenjiso

Lombster + 1

Kathy H probable

Snowmaiden

Mark D

Jellybaby

The Green Fairy

Picklelilly

• Options

Just been dog walking along the seafront - the weather is absolutely perfect (hardly any wind, sunny and mild), the rain comes in this afternnoon but then clears by morning.

Buttercupski, we probably saw you as we saw the elite Kenyans as well image

And yes I agree it's definitely vest/short sleeve weather.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
  • Options

Millsy nothing for you to worry about it's just for sussex runner