Options

Chester marathon 2012

Comments

• Options

I know I've got myself down as sub 4:30 but I'm going to be following a sub 4:00 training schedule....! I just can't get my head round the fact that it means running 9minute miles for 26 miles.

Still not back running thanks to my new shoes rubbing my heel on my first run after Manchester. I'm slowly going crazy! The exercise bike just isn't the same.

15W - I know it doesn't sound like you've got PF so you may not be interested anymore but I've worn the 'sock' for the last couple of nights and no more limping to the toilet first thing in the morning! I can still feel it during the day but I guess the true test will be when I start running properly again. Not too uncomfortable to wear either.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Alison - take it easy when first start running - don't run if still in pain. I'm still applying ice/heat to my feet after running, and am doing a lot more stretching. All useful info got from this brill forum.

• Options

It's great isn't it?!

I know I have a tendency to overdo it.....so I'll try hard to rein myself in when I finally get back on the road! Maybe having an enforced extra 2 weeks off won't have actually done me any harm anyway. And I've been using the extra time to sort out some core strength stuff to do because I'm sure weakness in this area is what caused my PF in the first place. And my abdomen becomes really tender to touch when I do long runs. And my back aches!!! Are we sure this running lark is actually good for us....??!!!image

• Options

Just a quick question to all who have ran Chester Marathon in the past.

On my garmin at London Marathon it said I had ran 26.71miles, to get sub 3:30 I had to run an avg of 7:50mm, so I was just wondering what other people's garmin's said how far they ran in Chester so I can add the extra to my end goal time, hope you understand where i'm coming from!!!! ie to go sub 3:30 the calculators say I should run at 8mm, if I had done that at London I would of not of crossed the line in 3:30 due to the extra half a mile!

• Options

Mine came out at 26.3.

• Options

Thanks GazOC looks like I won't need to bring the avg down to much then!

• Options

Just looked back and mine came in at 26.28.

• Options

Thanks Bruce C those extra yards make all the differenceimage Off to the drawing board... Again.....

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

had a trip on train to Blackpool today    wow it looks good after been done up between north and south pier       nice not to drive there

• Options
    SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Response to Up the Boro.

Up the Boro wrote (see)
    Just trying to get back running after Manchester, legs still feel a bit heavy - is this usual after a marathon (as i've only done the one up to now?). Also picked up 'Man-flu' which hasn't helped.

I'm a northerner originally but live in the south now so don't know how hard Manchester was.  I think there's incredible variety in recovery.  I've run two marathons, Brighton 2011 and 2012.  Brighton is very flat indeed.  I was fine for work the next day both times.  In 2011 I went back to running fast too soon and picked up an injury.  This year I've been more cautious and did no running for 9 days, then built up slowly.  My first post-marathon race was last Sunday, i.e four weeks after Brighton.  I felt fine even though it was quite hard, by Kent standards.

To summarise I suggest taking it easy for 3-4 weeks, especially if your legs feel heavy.  If you've got flu, then I think that just reinforces the point.

I'm lurking here as I'm thinking of doing Chester in 2012.

• Options
    Manchester was hard as it was my first marathon, I'd missed a months training due to a knock on the knee, and also the conditions were bloody awful (I'm sure some of the guys on here will vouch for that). I didn't feel too bad in the days after and managed a 5miler the following weekend, but legs just felt heavy last weekend on a 10k. Maybe it was the start of the man flu that got me? Going to take it easy for next couple of weeks then start thinking about Chester.

Also, I never really do any of that core stability stuff (sit ups, crunches etc), or gym work. Should I be doing it? Does it help? And if so what's best to start with?
  • Options
    ringo100ringo100 ✭✭✭
    Mine was also 26.28 Gaz
  • Options
    SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭
    Up the Boro wrote (see)
    Also, I never really do any of that core stability stuff (sit ups, crunches etc), or gym work. Should I be doing it? Does it help? And if so what's best to start with?

I think most personal trainers and writers recommend core stability and gym work for running.  They can help prevent injury and also to run faster, I believe.  There are  a number of well-regarded books on marathon running.  I have Pfitzinger and Douglas's Advanced Marathoning (second edition) .  That includes quite a long chapter on supplementary training.  The book is basically too advanced for me, but I still find much of it worth reading.

• Options

Anyone booked some shorter races in the build up to this yet? I've just signed up for the Warrington Half 9th September. Should give me an opportunity for a hard run before the big 1.

I'm also planning on doing some shorter distance races through the summer 10 and 5k races to aid with speed work.

Any good suggestions for races?

I did Christleton 5k last night 19:17 so off to a decent start. Sub 19 5k is the next aim and then sub 40 10k by the end of the summer. image

• Options

Hello All

hope you don't mind me gate-crashing but a little bit of advice for anyone with plantar if I may -  be so very careful. I spent 18 months out having been plagued with this during training for Edinburgh, which I ultimately missed.  Running through the discomfort was my major mistake, although I got to the stage where my heart ruled my head and I was stupidly doing this with the aid of pain killers. 

Foot strengthening and stretching exercises are vital, although the advice imparted in various places on the 'net can be confusing. "Don't walk around in bare feet" I frequently read and yet the barefoot revolution would seem to contradict this.  If a marathon is your goal and PF befalls you a month before, with sufficient training behind you and some decent taping of the foot you will complete the course.  But don't try and get to the start line by running through it for three months, or you'll end up on two wheels riding a bike rather than your beloved two feet. 

Best of luck to you all for both your training and the event itself.

• Options
    Just done my first long run since the nightmare of Greater Manchester, 16 miles in 2:05. Slightly slower than I wanted but something to build on. Felt as though I could have carried on for a little longer too. Can someone point me in the right direction of a local (north west) half marathon for the summer? Thanks.
  • Options

Theres Freckleton, Blackpool, Warrington and a new one in Lythm St Annes.

I did my first 10 mile run after Manchester today in 1:24. Legs still not quite right but improving all the tiem.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Haven't been on for a while cos lurgy came back!! Managed to get out today for a hilly 10k in Hereford, just sneaking under the 40 mins (39.45). Lots to do before Chester, but ok for now....

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

Did Eyam half today in 1h36   knocking 4 mins of my PB from last year  the support you get from the locals is great  and those hills are something else    but i would rather run hills   can not wait for Chester marathon

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

There's also Fleetwood half on 26th August and Great Warford 10mile on 29 July.

Ran Manchester 10k yesterday a big event which I really enjoy. Managed a PB of 38.37 which I'm chuffed with.

• Options
    Great time 15west. Think I'm in for the great Warford 10.
  • Options

Well done 15. I staggered across the line in 43:30 at Port Sunlight 10k last weekend.image

Nice one Compo!

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Well done to the racers! I might do a 10K at the end of the month and a 10M in mid July. I have a few races in  mind for September too.

So, I've just completed 4 weeks of 26-27 miles per week ...  a way to go before I get back to my pre-injury mileage! Nevertheless some progress as I certainly feel injury-free and I am starting to see the green shoots of fitness returning.

• Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'm thinking of entering Warrington. Well done compo and 15West, I did the Manchester 10k last year, it was a good event but ??40 for a 10k is too expensive for me! Anyone else go to the athletics down Deansgate, was great to see the top athletes in person rather than just on tv.
  • Options

Finally managed a run this morning. Felt hard for a slow 4 miles but I'm just pleased I'm back on the road. Tried out my new Garmin but couldn't get my virtual partner out of bed - must have been pressing the wrong button! Back to the instruction booklet I think. image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Andrew - I saw some of it, although tricky to get a good view especially with fidgety child on my shoulders. Saw Jessic Ennis - can't believe they screwed up so badly by only putting out 9 hurdles, and I cant' believe noone noticed!

• Options

Big mistake regarding the hurdles but surely the runners would have noticed when they ran the race. They must do the right number of hurdles in training so they must know what 10 feels like plus they would have had an extra long run to the line. They must be able to tell when it's not right..?! I've run races where the mile markers have been wrong and I can tell and that's from only running for 2 years with little race experience. And if there had been an extra hurdle then maybe Jessica Ennis wouldn't have got a PB anyway. Or am I just being mean?!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

She definately would have been slower. Also amazed how none of the runner's noticed, or Colin Jackson who was commentating. I guess they just expect it to be right, which is fair enough.