Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

It seems that many people don't have ATM looking after them, ASO must have been inundating with questions.  Shame they can't send out validated medical certificates as well.

The Jimbob - I hope you're bring enough buns for everyone.

My playlist contains Morcheeba 'Rome wasn't built in a day' and Duck Sauce 'Barbara Striesand', to pick me up near the end. I will also have my daughter's voice saying 'Allez Papa, Allez !'. image

• Options

Back from a rainy 6k.....not bad

Eye of the tiger, bay city rollers....yeah ok......Mud and some Aretha. 

Bad mood over and done with...image

• Options

just added "We built this City" to my playlist! God my playlist is laden with 80s soft rock with electronic drum and cheezy synth!image

• Options
    Niall - RW meet up in Corcoran's on the Sunday evening is traditional. Was a riot last year. Hope to see you there.
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)

so happy to fit in with spectating and leering at sweaty lycra clad lovelies.  Possibly a poke after.

I wasn't going to wear my lycra but for you, I may make an exception image

• Options

Bit of Killers, bit of Kosheen, Manics, Keane, Moby, Alanis Morisette. If I've timed my playlist right, and I run according to plan, I'll have Snow Patrol's Just Say Yes playing as I cross the line...

Suzy - good to hear from you again - it's been weeks. How about going and seeing how far you get? Can always drop out and catch a metro if you find you're struggling.

Yer Maj - I burst out laughing there. Is rat. image

H Niall - Only thing to think about if you're planning to get to the expo straight from the airport is you'll have your luggage with you. You might be queueing to get into the expo hall for an hour, 90 minutes. Not too bad if you're travelling light, but it might be a pain if you've got a suitcase/heavy rucksack with you. It's Corcorans in Rue Saint-Andre Des Arts - there's a few Corcorans dotted about the city.

• Options

Oh and also, Weedy - Eels were amazing. That was my fourth time seeing them and they never fail to disappoint. They played My Beloved Monster and Mr E's Beautiful Blues as a mash up in the encore, then left the stage. Lights came up, everyone started moving towards the exits. When the place was about half full, Eels came back on for a second encore - surprise! I think they do that at every gig on this tour so hang around if you're seeing them. 

Glastonbury line up announced yesterday. Didn't believe it was real. Can't work out who I'm more excited about seeing: Smashing Pumpkins, Arctic Monkeys or The Proclaimers....

• Options
    Orbutt wrote (see)

so happy to fit in with spectating and leering at sweaty lycra clad lovelies.  Possibly a poke after.

And what about the poke? image

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭
    I'm stepping up the taper madness - panicking that I'm getting ill, and that my legs are cramping when there not. Please tell me this won't last right up to the start line!

Also getting worried that my garmin will fail due to the tunnel and therefore getting my pacing wrong. Does it not just connect a straight line between where it lost and regained signal?
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    @KeyserSuze wrote (see)

That was my fourth time seeing them and they never fail to disappoint. . 

Are you sure that's what you meant?

Orbutt wrote (see)

And what about the poke? image

I won't be able to run away, so why notimage

Trev - I've not been in a position where my Garmin has lost/regained its signal so I'm not sure. As a belt and braces measure you could always create a pace band for around your wrist.

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭
    Orbutt - thanks. I remember someone saying about pace bands but not sure who, where can you get them from?
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Trev - I make my own in Excel, print it out and cover it in Sellotape

• Options
    TrevO wrote (see)
    I'm stepping up the taper madness - panicking that I'm getting ill, and that my legs are cramping when there not. Please tell me this won't last right up to the start line!

Also getting worried that my garmin will fail due to the tunnel and therefore getting my pacing wrong. Does it not just connect a straight line between where it lost and regained signal?

Trev, Orbs and anyone else. regarding the garmin failure paranoia. i agree on using a paceband, going to knock one up in km for the big day - my gps is on my phone which works ok and on my wrist is my stopwatch which i will use in conjunction with my paceband to calculate good km splits. My phone will be set to 26.2 miles (so i'll get mile splits shouted at me by Mr robo-voice which helps). also, if you sign up for the text thing - you can set yourself as one of the people who receives the text updates that relay your splits at 10K, half distance and 30K - and accurate finish time. So you'll have accuarate info more or less straight away even if you gps goes a bit pete tong.

• Options
    Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)
    Niall - RW meet up in Corcoran's on the Sunday evening is traditional. Was a riot last year. Hope to see you there.

Which Corcoran's is it? there's a few in Paris! I'll be there early

• Options
    PC91 wrote (see)

It seems that many people don't have ATM looking after them, ASO must have been inundating with questions.  Shame they can't send out validated medical certificates as well.

The Jimbob - I hope you're bring enough buns for everyone.

My playlist contains Morcheeba 'Rome wasn't built in a day' and Duck Sauce 'Barbara Striesand', to pick me up near the end. I will also have my daughter's voice saying 'Allez Papa, Allez !'. image

The wife's just bought 5 packs! They'll be gone by then but if you peeps seriously want me to bring some - get your orders in by next Thursday eve and i'll grap a cuppla dozen

• Options
    Suzy - I was in the same boat last year. I had given up on running Lochaber marathon due to lack of training. One week before I was persuaded to change my mind by a forumite. I set off at lower pace and got round quite comfortably. ( I think I could have gone a bit faster). Really glad I changed my mind. Just be realistic with your target and give it a go?

I have my convocathingy email. But thanks to ATM we are well ahead of the game.
  • Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Thanks Jimbob, they seem tempting today because I can't (shouldn't) have one but I'll have my own post race goody bag/meal sorted out.  I bet you've got the first dozen "Now that's what I call music" .  I've just been looking at a few old titles, I think I'm going to add some Cameo and Mel & Kim, by the time I'm finished I'm going to have 6 hours of music.

• Options
    Brushing up on some essential French:

Je suis tres fatigue, sommes-nous encore la?

J'ai faim - ou est McDonald's?

J'ai soif - ou est Le Pub?

That should do it.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Suzy, we'll surround you shouting ' Run or Go home Without a Medal!'.

True, it doesn't have the same ring as ' March or Die' but....

• Options
    Weedy - I'm deliberately taking my wheely bag to the Expo so I can sit on it on the queue if necessary.

Phantom cramping here too - calves appear to be doing something weird and needing far more stretching and pummelling than whe I was doing high mileage.

TJB - 'We built this city' was always the warmup track for the aerobics sessions I used to do when I was a student. Whenever I hear it, it always takes me back to running round a sweaty gym in pursuit of the University rugby club image .
  • Options
    Morning, thanks ATM & DLR. yea I have the convocation printed off but until I started reading the thread yday I had never heard of it and would of been non the wiser at the expo so a major thanks for that saved major hassle.

Thanks for the best route to the expo from CDG.

I believe it's possible to change the time u said you expect to finish in when registering? Is that true? I believe (mistakenly or not) that I have a chance at being at least 15 min faster than what i put down for registration.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

ooooo I've just read that the finishers T-shirt, this year, is Asics and...

...green. image

• Options

Suzy......just get to the start and give it a go, obviously if you feel cr*p and ill then stop, it's not worth hurting yourself or making yourself die...!!  but at least you got there and started.

My brother ran 2007 Paris (with me and my sister) and he was very ill, throwing up and blue around the mouth and couldn't feel his hands, (he'd had heart surgery two years previous and was told not to do a marathon again....) but he continued, got back to the hotel, slept for two hours and then was out with us in the evening.  he continued as he'd got a Charity place, otherwise he said he would have stopped.....he's very silly...!!

I think they give out bands at the Expo.

Still tipping it down here, so will work on that Ipod paylist

• Options

Orbutt - ha, that wasn't what I meant at all! I meant either: they never disappoint or they never fail to amaze... The perils of typing and talking at the same time...

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Green. It's a sign.image

Jimbob, it's at  28 rue Saint Andre des Arts, 75005 .It's yards away from the Line 4 stop at Saint Michel. * Take the Exit marked' Place St. Andre des Arts *

• Options

Suze - haven't seen them live. I only get to see bands these days if I get a tickets for my birthday or Christmas. Keep intending to read E's autobiography, but reckon it'll be a tough read. You got the Useless Trinkets album? If not, I can bring it to Corcorans and you can post it back to me.

RR - that's smart thinking.

Time to set your TV recorders. Paris Marathon being broadcast live on the British Europsport channel from 7.30am to 10am on the day. Last year's broadcast focused solely on the elites, so don't expect to see yourself, but it's nice to relive the route.

http://www.ben10oyna.gen.tr/files/image/ben101.jpg

• Options

I've decided to wear my Paris Marathon 2010 shirt for the big day.

I'm just hoping that this time the Bois de Boulogne will be more pleasurable as I seemed to be trotting on the spot and making hardly any progress.  I was so slow that my husband assumed that he had missed me and went to the finish.image

Is there a phone app whereby we can be tracked during the race?   

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Eliz, the link on the Homepage doesn't work...because it's last year's...but they told me there will be a new one there by the beginning of April. Someone said that, last year, it was free.