Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Happy Maus-day imageimageimage

Malcs race report is on ASICS Target 26.2 2013 Thread. (I don't know how to paste a link), there is also another report. Running 70K in the rain and having fun !  Strange people.

I bought 2 pairs of shoes in the Xmas sales from the ASICS shop.  I enjoyed the service and foot analyst but afterwards I wondered if the 2 minutes on the treadmill was long enough ? Was the photo taken when I was ajusting my speed ? Then I read that my foot type was probably due to my technic.  Improving my gait will change my foot type.  In the shop they didn't film my hips or my swinging arms !

All advice on gait is welcome. I enjoyed the youtube link posted by DLR (not only because of the girl's shorts).  How can we tell if our technic is improving ?

• Options

Orbutt..  I've told this storybefore, but may as well repeat it now...  my transition was quicker than probably what is advisable.   It was about this time last year that I got fed up with blisters hindering my ability to run long distances and the lack of ideas from three different podiatrists to solve this.  I started running around my garden, barefoot, 20 minutes per day.  10 minutes clockwise, 10 minutes anti-clockwise.   That's all.  Nothing else.  No other running at all.  So, 20 minutes per day for six weeks barefoot.  This forces you to adopt a good foot landing position.  As Danni says, you will notice soreness (not pain, but some muscle discomfort that you may not be familaisr with) in your calfs and alongside your shins. This is normal at this stage. 

During that six weeks I decided that I would try Hoka's as they seem to be the shoe of choice for Badwater and many ultra runners.  They are heaviliy cushioned but only with a 4mm drop. I ordered the shoes and at the end of the six weeks I tried them.  My first run, new shoes straight out of the box and without orthotics that I had used for 7 years, was the 45 mile Grand Union Canal tow path from Tring to Paddington.

It was an experiment really.  I didn't know how it would feel or what to expect.   Result..?   Nothing.   No problems, no soreness, no blisters.

That did it for me....    it works and I've not had any problems since.

I'm not saying that everyone should do it, but there is room for improvement in the running technique of most people and I'm sure that most injuries are self-induced.

• Options

Happy birthday Maus!  image

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Birthday Maus imageimage

Malcs - I'd like to see the link please image

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Malcs +1

Mausy - happy birthday!!

DV - thanks. I think you garden may be bigger than mine. I'd get a bit dizzy. Certainly interesting though.

I think that this latest problem was a result of both worn out shoes and new shoes - one extreme to another - as I can feel the problem when I push forward and rock my foot in the direction of wear.

The wear is always on my outer heel too - which shouts 'heel strike', so if not zero drop then I may well try a lesser drop shoe.

Thanks for all of the advice - brilliant as always.

• Options

Cheers everybody!

Celebrations started yesterday and continue apace....

• Options

I bought MM a new washing machine for her birthday - oh yes - not a secondhand one. Obviously, she is delighted with such thoughtfulness and is cheerily running a load of whites through it now.

Oh yes, we did this yesterday too...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-HGpq8SkOb6c/UfeDXE3e1XI/AAAAAAAAE0A/LwA_0ZxCaKQ/w790-h527-no/IMG_8201.JPG

• Options
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-eXm4SCEeCbI/UfeDvzYXYmI/AAAAAAAAE0Q/LNzvkCjRmoM/w790-h527-no/IMG_8189.JPG

Her reaction when I told her about the washing machine! image

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Happy birthday MM

Yes please Malcs.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Happy birthday MM.

• Options

MM - a washing machine AND and an iron? Aren't you a lucky girl image? Happy birthday.

DLR - yes, that's the ones. There's another exercise where you re-enact the title sequence of the Monkees, still with the band round your ankles, that really gets the hip flexors going.

• Options

I've noticed a few people have mentioned the Asics store/gait analysis. Where exactly is the store.  Would I need to schedule an appointment for the analysis?  How much does it cost?  Just wondering as I might have time to drop by there when Im in London in october.

Weedy-- I did mention the Hart race earlier, but this is the same one.  I ran it last year too.  A good cause, the proceeds go to scholarships for local students.

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

With all this talk of trainers, is 1.5 size's bigger too much? I normally wear an 11 shoe and run in 12's but looking to get a new pair and found an offer on but they only have 12.5.

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Hi Lawyer,

The ASICS store is opposite Marble Arch tube station, Oxford Street ? The test is £25 which is reimboursed if you buy a pair of shoes. I question the usefullness of their test. I was told I overpronate, I presume it's due to my poor technic, the shoes do not solve the problem although perhaps they could have prevented injury (never know).

I like DV idea but I think he'll get annoyed if I run around his garden every night for 6 weeks.

• Options

Sorry Aaron, must have forgotten to add it when you mentioned it before. Sorted now anyway.

PC - image

Kaz - how's the chest infection doing?

Maus - ace, looks like a right laugh.

Trev - I'm no expert, but I'd say stick with the 12s. Not worth risking problems to save a few quid on shoes that don't fit you right.

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Weedy - think I knew that but do like getting a bargain. In this case it's really a bargain if it causes problems.

• Options

Weedy - I have developed an awful habit of coughing and spitting! Its good that I am not a 'lady'!!! image It can only get better..........and next time(which I hope there never will be!!) I will go to the doc before nearly 3 weeks have passed.

Trev - I wouldn't get shoes that much bigger!!

Throwing a major tantrum- trying to renew my  car tax onlline and it won't do it just because the insurance was renewal was today too! grrrrrrrrrimage

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Maus - many happy returns!   And you look excellent as a co-pilot!  Does that mean I get to take you (and TD of course) balloon flying in Albaturkey next year??

The problem with worn out shoes is that they do not wear out evenly, and not in the same pattern as they were built up in. So, while they used to support your arch more than elsewhere for example, when they break down anything is possible thus making them quite dangerous.  This is true of any shoe that has some support/cushioning - it breaks down unevenly.

5 downhill miles this morning. My fall marathon is essentially 10 miles downhill steep, then about 10 miles gradual downhill, then about 4 miles flat then the last bit some uphills.  The race director advises aclimatizing to the downhills by continually stabbing your thighs with pitchforks image.  I'm trying to do long downhill runs ending with a short, steep uphill.  

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Apologies for the delay, been out all morning. I uploaded the pdf, here's the link:

http://www.exoticpixel.com/running/strength%20training%20for%20runners.pdf

It's not just leg strength but core too. Some of these excercises I'm sure you'll have seen before. Sam gave these to all the 26.2 runners when they were training for Paris this year.

MM - Many happy returns and happy washing too! image

Kaz - totally sympathise. Been down that road several times. I ended up buying 6 months tax so that the damn things never coincided!

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Thanks for the link Malcs....I really, really need to get a grip and start regularly strength training.

Interestingly (to me)...I was on the good old OROD last night and hit some trigger points right at the top of my back, to the side, almost under my arms.  Absolute agony when I rolled them....but my relentless hip ache has, erm, gone....who knew....I've rolled them a few times today, pain is lessening and my whol back feels much more mobile.  Nothing in that area has given me the slightest hint of pain or ache up to now but has clearly been causing me some problems for a while.  Might need to start whole body ORODing....image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

MM-- Happy Birthday!

Kaz -I feel your pain. I'm having one of those days too. Actually - i'm very close to turning off my pc and saying f*&k it.

• Options
    The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭

Trev, half a size up is all you wanna go. ask DLR about running in trainers too big.

Malcs, amazing 70k the other day you nutter

Maus, happy mausday xxxxxxxx

• Options

After ITLR... where it is possible that I had a bit of a calorie intake deficit, my weight has dropped to what is pretty much my adult low - 65.4kgs and body fat is really low at 7.2%. I really don't think I've been working out that hard. Well, I did get to carry a sofa up two flights of stairs today, aided by a rather magnificent Maus. Might need to get running again soon though

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Very good birthday present! Nothing pleases a woman more than domestic appliances.image

Ym - you could get a cattle press.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

RS - And you could get.....image

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

A good 11 mile run for me tonight. Weather was cooler, I felt better and my average  pace was closer to what I'd expect over that distance. Now I'm off to treat myself to see a man with claws kick some ass at cheap git cinema night.

Dannirr - A downhill marathon. Now that sounds like a race for me. The only bit of running I seem to be better than average at is going downhill. Being a big lanky git pays off on the downhill. Not so much on the uphill!

• Options

Anyone here like Johnny Marr..?   I'm loving his track 'New Town Velocity'.  Simple little riff that repeats over and over...   nice little track.  

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Eggy:

How's this look?

/members/images/698298/Gallery/stown2.jpg