Options

Scott's training log, advice, support

Comments

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

food / diet - eat within 30-60mins of completing a tough session (carbs / protien).  or recovery shake.  plenty on the market but i was advised slim fast as its cheaper but does the same thing.  many others just drink milk.

clothing - i wear compression calf guards in every session other than races.  Do they work, ive no idea but im bought into the concept

supplements - i only take A-Z vitamins,

some people use a roller or ice to ease tired limbs or muscles.

im a believer in keeping running simple.  its left foot right foot repeat.  do that enough and you get better. use common sense and you are almost there regards recovering for the next session.

every other month there is a new fad to help improve your times.... as a kid i didnt need anti-oxidents or supplements but still moved a damn sight quicker than i can now.image

• Options

Thanks dean- 

I will be  getting a roller and incorporating that into stretching routine when I get to one.. 

My my diet is so poor- I try and eat something straight after I run  but I'm just organised I guess..  

Ill look into slim fast or recovery shakes then thanks ..I want to keep things simple so guessing that's about as low key as it gets.. 

Looking forward to my session tonight still, a little tired but think its just been a long day so far at work .. A cycle over to the track will wake me up image 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

To be honest my diet isn't too clever.   over a week my evening meals are probably bowls of pasta meatballs, a ramen or stir fry, chicken rice, Sunday dinner and all the trimmings, steak.  Lunch is normally a ham bagel and fruit.   Breakfast is homemade granola (I hate porridge but love this).  

• Options

Super quality track session at SOTON track tonight - felt good even though felt stiff during my warm up but that faded after a wuicker lap and some strides.. Cycled roughly 3 mile up there and around 5.5 mile home afterwards image 

6 x 800m of 60 seconds recovery.

In my head I wanted to run at least 80s for 5:20 pace and push towards 75s for 5:00 pace

However splits were 

2:22 / 2:26 / 2:25 / 2:27 / 2:25 / 2:26 

2:22 = 4:45 pace

2:27 = 4:55 pace

So I'm extremeley happy with the pace and consistency there! 

• Options

little update before I head out- Been a longish day, nothing to stressful but upto Bristol and back for me with work and now meet home and going for a 40 minute steady run. May try and get out over some fields near me and run on grass but to problems is it'll be pitch black by time I run unless I get back soon and can't be measured distance wise and I'm still getting used to slowing pace down- may look to do a familiar route ..

will update the log later 

legs feel fine since yesterday's session - body a little tired , nothing unusual - day off tomorrow now and evening track session image 

• Options

5.58m steady run complete - new route and had a big hill (downhill) - tried to aim for a 40 min round trip but a little out.. 

37:11 for 6:40 m/m pace - again felt nice, not over working at all. Getting used to running a little slower and pacing these routes it'll take a few trips to pull it back to 7m/m...I want to get a HRM and start monitering how hard I'm working though as I think that'll be another godo indicator iwth slowing down...

• Options

Week is looking good so far 

Sunday 7.69m LSR @6:57m/m 

Monday - 5.13m AM @6:13m/m + 2.26m PM @7:02

Tueday - 6 x 800m off 60s recovery (2.98m or 4.8km)  (session above) 

Wednesday 5.58m @6:40 steady

Rest of week looks like this 

Thursday - Track session - expect 3 miles voume 

Friday - 35 min steady run AM - 2.26m VERY slow home PM 

Saturday - Park run - Aiming for 16:40 

Expected Mileage (not including warm up etc) 38m 

• Options

10 x hill sprints tonight .. Hill was measured at roughly 112m and a climb of about 26 metres /...Did some working out and its a 24% gradient image 

Roughly 25-27 seconds up on each touch and jog back down and straight back up (Always within undera minute total so 30ish seconds of recovery).. 10 minutes volume / continious - 60 second break then 8 mins steady running - covered 1.29 Mile which was 6:08 pace..

Feeling good and liked the hills image 

• Options

Little update - Last 11 days of running has brought up (before last rest day) 

55.05 miles of running -

Ranging from a Long run 7+ miles and a 17:00 5KM image

26.45 miles for this week (sun 29th-sat 5th) 

• Options
    5.13 m into work- was meant to be going for a gentle cycle and run tonight but change of plan..

Steady run in then at 6:28 pace - 33:08 time wise - felt good- very wet and windy! Will be an easy jog home tonight 2.26m - some stretching as well for tomorrow parkrun!
  • Options

Easy run home after work ..

2.26 m and 6:30 pace so 15:02

Legs feel ok and feel set for tomorrows attempt! 

Quiet evening in and a good relax seems the plan..

Mileage for the week (Sun to Sat) = 33.84 - Biggest week so far this year I think 

• Options

Sigh - So it's late and should be in bed asleep to get my 8 hours for the park run

I got carried away trolling Samir on his thread and I just love a good wind up! I cant help myself at times! 

Anyway been doing some chores in the house and spoke to a friend - random late night call..its time for bed and feeling confident for tomorrows park run. Done some stretching and legs feel ok even though it has been the biggest week mileage wise (running) 

Bit of bus travel tomorrow so leaving around 7:30 AM.. Will update the blog when I get to work abut 11AM I guess...

Good luck if anyone is running or have good W/E of running 

• Options

SOTON park run complete 2nd place and solid time of unofficaly 16:39

and It's defo a PB - Very pleased

A few guys and girls from the track turnt up including a ver yquick lad who nearly broke course record so it was godo to have someone in front-- He as gone from around half a KM in and I kept to my plan of using the KM markers and timing a solid PB attempt

1st KM in 3:14

2nd KM was mainly uphill (nothign major) and came through about 6:48 so I really shit myself then! Really lost alot of ground 

3KM in about 10:05 and on target now with a sprint finish :P

I had a girl clsoe behind me who was trying to beat the womens course record and aiming 16:40 - I was pretty much perfect pacer for her :P  I have trained with her at SOTON track and didn't think she was upto that but proved wrong! she came in just behind me in the end...I am still getting to know my body and I still think I had a lot to give at the end but anyway

So round the park and through 4km in roughly 13:30 ish - I am really unsure there but POSSIBLY a little slower...

But then I just hammered hard knowing I would at least get a PB with a decent last KM but the final 6-800 runs same road with the 3km marker so now I have 100s of people on the course in my way really running through the 3KM mark and slow... so I did my best and sprinted weaving in and out shouting which didnt help but through to hit roughly 16:39 but feel maybe on a clear run / now I know kidna thing I could hit 16:30 so I'm really pleased with that! but overall godo to get a solid time in! 

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Thats a great marker Scott.  The next 40 secs will fall soon enough as you keep up this more structured training.  I dont want to jinx anything but with decent training you are capable of taking a minute off that time in the next 12 months.  It's all looking good. 

• Options

Thanks Dean.. I have worked on a 6 week block to start from next week but this week with being up the track, doing my LSR for first time and stuff I wasnt sure how it would come out.. 

I may do the odd park run inbetween in preperation for Stubbington 10KM but going to have to action training for that now! 

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

You haven't really started with the quality yet so you will take off once you get a sustained block on board.  Play the long game though, treat each race as a stepping stone.  

• Options

Definatley taking that on board! 

I am keeping a strict log and keeping an eye on my runs etc now and moving away from the crappy short runs I used to do..

Patience is key indeed.. That's the only frustrating thing after such a long break but it'll be worse if I rush

Structured training will pay off...I still have only done a handful of speed sessions ( 3 since mid September and only a couple before that) 

• Options
    Official park run result is in ran 16:40 on the dot- I had 16:39 on my watch but a nice PB will do at 5:22 ish pace image

1st km in 3:14 and carried pace ok through the run

2km 6:48 ish

3km 10:05

4km 13:35 ish

5km 16:40

Don't think I'll do another one for a little while till some more training sets in
  • Options

Great run Scott image 

• Options
    Thanks!! Glad to crack the PB ! Roll on some solid few weeks of training image
  • Options

Good effort Scott! Interesting seeing you talk about splits - this week I've raced two 5ks with no watch. Tuesday was a night race on a tarmac cycle track and today was a park run. Forgot my watch for the first run and it ran out of battery today!

Tuesday 20.00 and today a PB of 18.22

Didn't feel too different on either run, but today I didn't feel the pressure of constantly checking splits. Perhaps give it a try image

• Options

I'm another one for the watch less idea Scott. 

Got a few club mates who swear running without is better. 

One ran a massive negative split marathon without. 

Well done on the mighty impressive PB 

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭

Very impressive.  See you at SGR 10km! (your back anyway)!

• Options
    I normally always wear a watch but this was first time race had markers at every km and I wanted to pace it out- I still need to learn how to push my body even if it means Finishing slower I need to know how much I could hold on to say 5:10 pace etc...I've had some decent track sessions running 5 km volume all under 5 min mile pace so I'm confident I can go quicker

At the GSR hoping for a solid time - I set myself 34:59 and under but will see..
  • Options
    Nice PB LSH though! More to come?

And thanks toro image
  • Options

Nice one Scott. That's crazy fast!

I like what Dean has said above - play the long game and get plenty of base. I have some speed, but lack speed endurance. Long and slow(er) is the key.

• Options

Cheers Iron, I have been lucky to keep my speed and think thats been my stronger aspect of my running...

I have been slowly building on the miles and this week was another milestone for me so its going well! Will be posting a schedule that has a XC race in mind by Monday or tomorrow night ...

LSR in the morning - plan to do 60 minutes .. last week did 55...Will be my longest run (In terms of minutes)

• Options

Weekly summary

Mileage 36.94

LSR @ 6:57 pace for 53 minutes

2 x speed sessions - 6 x 800s + hills

1 x park run setting a new PB of 16:40

Steady runs inbetween...

• Options
    Long run done! Really nice weather this morning in Southampton and a good run- even with my backpack on image

9.93 miles in 64:45 - 6:31 pace ..

Felt ok even with the last week- not used to running that length but legs were fine! Will probably walk home now with maybe few spells of jogs/strides and some stretching later

Overall satisfied with that pre work!