Options

The 2014 Marathon Thread.

Comments

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the newcomers.

Lyl, Fran-tic, jd, tricialitt and any others I may have missed.
  • Options

Well done mace and well done to NN whose long run I missed.

mathschick - kudos for getting up at 5am at this time of year.

Stuart - Snowdonia is a challenge but a great race if not a PB course ( it was my PW! but only in timeimage )

• Options
    NN well done on your 18 was down your way in N Devon over new year.

Welcome Lyl, Jd11 and Fran-tic, Tricialitt - stick around for plenty of good helpful advice on hereimage

Jason no doubt your banging in serious mileage image

Tek the wind does make such a big difference even on shorter recovery run image

SM6 hope your run went well tonight

Mathschick good work on the early doors run image

10 miles tonight @ 817 av, last five M @ 7.55 av. Happy with that but getting pretty fed with running in yet more wind and rain! Although got to be character buiding stuff I guessimage
  • Options

MG - Nice running in the tough conditions. I've been a bit of a wimp and really tried to avoid the wind!

OH/Jason - Snowdonia was strongly considered, but getting there looks a major operation so that's the other one that has been ticked off. Likely to be Loch Ness again.

Jason - Those numbers are mental!image

Mace - Good mileage last week all the same. Hope the calf is ok now.

mathschick - Well done on the early one.

----------------

Ended up doing 11 miles after all. Legs had nothing to give though. Likely due to a poor sleep last night.

8 or 11 tomorrow, hopefully 11.

• Options
    SM maybe your just being sensibleimage good work on the 11 image
  • Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

jason, sorry about that!! image Amazing mileage.

Quick post and will have a proper catch up tomorrow.

Good to see you back NN.

NP I hope the back is improving. 

Fingers crossed you get a decent sleep tonight Stuart.

Hope you've warmed up Stewart, I've just had a hot shower and plate of soup!! 

5 miles this morning and 6 tonight in the rain then body balance class was freezing. Metafit had been in the studio before so the air con was working well! 

F

• Options

mathschick - hayfever at this time of year usually due to allergy to leaf mold.  A few good frosts will kill it off & then you should be clear again.

-----------------

2 mile last night on the road without my running buddy (Aero, our 9yr old choc lab). He's still sulking this am but he doesn't like running on the lead - better when off road & off lead & he can vary his pace. Need to get my legs stronger before I take my feet onto uneven surfaces tho

• Options

A little stalking and suspect you are in the same profession Fran-tic

• Options

NN, great long run and totals for the week, 

Jason, well done on the huge weekly mileage,

Tek, nice to see the HR down, you've got over a minute and a half on me

Fran-tic welcome and nice run with the dog.

OH, watch you're not blown over in those winds

SM, shame you missed out on the Yorkshire marathon, I'm sure you'll find a suitable replacement, well done with the 11 mile run too.

MC, nice early 4 mile run yesterday,

Mace, I was knackered at the end could have walked the last mile too but managed to plod on, well done with the week's training it was a tough one, and at least it's a bit easier this week image

MG, imagine the splits when the conditions are right, great running from you image

Fiona, great doubles day yesterday followed by body balance, I had to take the OH to work so the heating was up in the car,

-------------------------------------------------------

Rest day yesterday so I got some weights done at the gym followed by body balance, JS tonight could be a busy one with all the new year resolutions.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Awol with the back for the weekend and yesterday however only two runs missed so no major issue, woke this morning no pain at all image so an easy 6 miles banked out again later for another 6 and back on planimage

Some great running over the weekend by you peeps and already some good long runs banked. Weight wise I have around a 1 lb to lose every week between now and VLM. Will book in later after my second run image

• Options

Thanks for being so welcoming!

Yes running VLM for my chosen charity, anyone else running it?

Did my first 18.7miles yesterday, only on a treadmill though but with a 1% incline, more of a mental challenge than a physical one, I figure after staring at a blank wall for 3 hours anything has to be more exciting after that!

Will mix up running on treadmill, road and beach.

Have to admit my hip feels a little dodgy today though :

• Options

Hi Lyl, welcome to the thread, I'm running the Edinburgh marathon this year. I am, a fellow treadmill warrior. It's not the best, but as you said if you can run that distance on the treadmill you, you can get through most mental challenges..

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

JD 11 Welcome

Jason 122m week ! image

Fran-tic welcome - nice steady build-up is the best way

OH well done on that windy 16 miler

HM hope you drag Chris out tomorrowimage

Mathschick nice early start for that 4m !

mace well done for the 50m and I hope you're feeling better now

MG nice progressive 10 miler

Stuart well done for getting out for that 11m

Fiona nice double and BBimage

Stewart well done on the gym and BB.  Hope you're not swamped with newbies tonight at JS...

NP glad you're up and outimage. Nice 6m run

Lyl blimey 18.7m on a treadmill!  Get on the roller for the hip...

Stu yes, I think that's why I shy away from the treddie - tough mentally.  Unless the footie's on the telly...

---

8m with the club this morning. HR improving notwithstanding the mud, wind and rain.image

• Options

Is there much difference in running on treadmill and road? Physically is it tougher outside? Obviously i know there are hill variances but if you're running... you're running right!?

Also are there any things about the marathon worth knowing about before hand, any tips about the day, being prepared, what to expect etc...

There's a meet the experts day in feb, just wonder if it's worth going to as i'll be travelling up from Cornwall which is a bit of a pain! image

• Options

Lyl - Well done on the 30k on the treadmill, no chance you'd catch me doing that! What sort of time are you aiming for at London?

As for the difference, I think I read somewhere that the treadmill does a lot of the hamstrings work? That could be rubbish though.

Tek - Good running again today!

NP - Good to see you're back to health! Good running earlier, and good luck with the weight loss!

Stewart - Good to see more people doing some weights, but remember it's not really a rest day if you're lifting weights.

Fran-tic - Good work on the run with the dog

Fiona - Cracking lot of training yesterday!

• Options
    Lyl I would think running outside is tougher, undulations, hills , wind resistance and general weather factors . P trainers at my gym don't recommend continuous treadmill work as they believe the injury risk is higher .

LRs on treadmills are a last resort for me as I cant take the torture image

Tek nice muddy run, should help improve a bit of leg strengthimage
  • Options

Lyl, I ran 20 miles on a treadmill last weekend. I have used them in the last couple of marathons when the weather is rubbish outside. They have their uses for sure and are great for mental training and also for aerobic training. As the marathon is 95%+ aerobic for most of use then this is good.

I find that the main issue is that you do not quite run at your natural speed on a treadmill. When doing a 3 hr run you tend to run slight slower than you would like for like on the road. I think this is because you want to run within yourself and be "safe" - eg not be in danger of falling off the back. That maybe rubbish - but I find I run slower on a treadmill for a long run than my natural pace running a long run outside. 

I think the main reason is that the glutes do not get fully engaged. By this I mean that we do not "push off" as much with each step as we would do on the road. hence why we are slower. Instead, the natural momentum of the belt does some of the work and we synch with that instead of the "pushing of" pace we do on the road. A 1% incline does help with engaging the Glutes - but its not quite the same I think.

This ultimately means that other parts of the body "compensate"  as the glutes are not fully engaged- eg work harder than they would do on the road.  For me - I find these to be Achilles, calves and Hips. Hence I Stretch these before and after and sometimes take a minute half way through to stretch these.

To help make sure that I do not get injured I also do lots of squats and bridges. These help keep the glutes/hips strong and ensure that they are engaged when I run outside when not on the treadmill.

My Suggestion would be to only do 50% of your runs on treadmill if possible. Or at least run outside when the weather is "ok".  Also make sure you do at least 2 long runs outside of a similar length - eg 3hrs.

However treadmills are very good for getting your fueling strategy. if you know your race has water stations every 3 miles you can test this on the treadmill easily.  You can also have gels ready to take at the same placed you would in the race. 

• Options

Thanks Stuart, I would love to be able to do it in 4hrs, not sure if that's do-able, i managed 30k in 3hrs 20 yesterday, so maybe in a few months i could push it? It's all pretty new to me, before i just ran and do crossfit, kettlercise and other gym classes. I did go to my local running shop to see what sort of trainers i needed and they were neutral ones. Other than that all the gear and everything that goes with it baffles me a little! So if there's any advice on what i might find useful i'd appreciate it! 

I think you're right MG1, i definitely need to up my road running, especially as the VLM is on tarmac the whole time!

Thanks guys image

• Options

Lyl,

in terms of going to the "meet the experts day". I am sure that they are good. Not sure I would travel from Cornwall to London for a day event like that though - when you can get a lot of advice online.

Here are some tips from me. Other will have better ones.

1a) getting to the start line not injured is the hardest part. Sometimes you need to rest in traiing,

1) 20 miles is only half way in a marathon in terms of effort. The last 6 miles are tough. 

2) the last 6 miles are easier if you have done lots of SLOW long runs.  This is because your body is prepared for running for a long time - as it has done plenty before.  if you run 18 miles fast in training - it is good - but does not prepare you for the last 6 miles.

3) All miles are not equal.  If you run 40 miles a week then you are better doing 18, 12, 4, 3, 3 rather than 8,8,8,8,8. Your ( probably) training to run  the marathon for 3-5 hours - hence the more runs you do over 3 hours the better.

4) if its your first marathon - try not to set targets for time. Do plenty of training withing breaking yourself and enjoy the day - soak up the atmosphere and just aim to finish with a smile on your face !!!

Good luck with the training

• Options

And thank you AGF, that's really good advice. I think i'll start running outside and create a lapping route so i can pass my house and pick up water or something, i live in a very hilly area so this will be a challenge! image

• Options

Thanks for all the good advice AGF, hoping that by May my time running out on the road time will be more than the time i spent pounding the treadmill.

Lyl, it's worth trying www.runningmap.com to plot out some different runs, I used it to plan my long slow runs (LSR). It's also worth looking at the RW training programs on this website, i used their half marathon one last year and i am currently using a modified one for my marathon training. They have a good selection for different times.

As for water, i found that using a running belt with a waterbottle holder works for me, they are reletively cheap and normally have a pouch for keys etc. Sports Direct have them plus a lot of other running gear that won't break the bank.  Are you a member of a running club? I just joined one where i live and its been very helpful, they are a good sorce of infomation for kit, training tips etc. I also find i run faster with a group to push me.

Since we are both first time marathoners it will be interesting to see how we get on with the training and the build up to our respective marathons. Im sure everyone else here will be willing to offer any advice we will need.

• Options

Welcome Lolo40

Lyl - second all advice from AGF

• Options

Lolo40 - Welcomeimage

------------------

11 miles again tonight. Felt better than yesterday, but slower and higher HR. Odd.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

Tek, 

I hope so.  Because he's not been running for a while the plan for me is to do a mile in the morning and then try & get him out for 2 miles.  

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Some great running going on, welcome to more new peeps, done my fair bit of running on a treadmill but it's not the road, far better to get outside with the undulation of the ground and also wind and the weather.

SM6 well done on the 11 miles tonightimage

HM4 good luckimage

Lolo,SGW enjoy London it's a fantastic marathon if I can give you one tip it is don't drink to much water and practice fuelling on your long runs, enjoy the dayimage

Lyn learn to love hills they will make you so much stronger without you noticingimage

AFG nice adviceimage

Teknik great muddy runningimage

Fiona great double yesterdayimage

MG1 Nice 10 yesterdayimage

OH you the mad Drimage

Well second 6 mile run D&D and legs feeling good aim for a MLR tomorrowimage

• Options
    Lyl really good advice from AGF, having done my first M last spring would agree with it all 100%

Welcome Lolo

SM6 well done on the 11, glad to hear the legs are feeling better

HM hope you guys get out tomorrow

NP good double, enjoy your run tomorrow

5 m easy tonight then back to the gym to dry out and a hour PT session, first one this year, legs and Abs forgot what fun it isimage
  • Options

I think that in previous marathon attempts I tended to run my LSR too quickly. I am definitely going to slow it down this year. Hopefully it will make a difference!

• Options
    MatsmumMatsmum ✭✭✭

Hello, can I join you?  I am doing Edinburgh in May.  At present I am running 20 to 25 miles a week  Very slowly!