Options

Bala 2011

Comments

• Options
    Kanga (M.) wrote (see)
    Suppose I should haul out the bling bike and do a long ride image

No need for a long ride if you're only doing Bala - a short sharp 60 miler should be more than enough.

• Options

Sorted thanks Kanga.

Gyraffe wrote (see)
    Kanga (M.) wrote (see)
    Suppose I should haul out the bling bike and do a long ride image

No need for a long ride if you're only doing Bala - a short sharp 60 miler should be more than enough.

60 miles that is a long ride isn't it image
  • Options
    SlugsSlugs ✭✭✭

Having survived Llanelli Sprint on Sunday, I've finally bitten the bullet & booked my annual dip in Lyn Tegid.

Sunday was the longest continual run I've done since January (about 7K) so I know that I'm going to suffer on that gentle rise to the run turn round, but everybody suffers there so what the hell.

• Options
    slugs.......so at Llanelli did you do the new scenic route on the run................image
  • Options
    SlugsSlugs ✭✭✭

You mean the anywhere between 5K to 10K in 5k route. Yes.  At least I turned before we got to Bury Port!image

A new type of out & back run, the lead runners go as far as they like then turn & on the way back everyone turns round as they meet the lead runners coming back. A much farier way to race, especially for us plodders.

It was disappointing, but things can go wrong, no point in getting worked up about it. I got a 7k run and only paid for a 5K, so I was pleased.image

• Options

glad you survived it...I heaard it was a tough day on the courseimage

• Options
    SlugsSlugs ✭✭✭

One hell of a head wind on the way out on the bike, but great fun on the way back. It felt a bit like flying.

Are you returning to Bala this year, Seren...or whats your excuse? Always a bit of a Pirate Partyimage

• Options
  • Options
    slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭

Cant wait for this now !

Just a quick(I wish) Chiltern 100 this Sunday then ready for Bala   image

• Options
    I'm looking forward to this one too, I need to see big improvements on last year if i'm going to have any chance at the Outlaw.
  • Options
    must find my camping gearimageimage and my bottle openerimage
  • Options
    just over a week to go...my first Tri of the year this!!! quite looking forward to it actually...swim is always survival....Bike i think i'll enjoy...run will be just horrible (every run is horrible for me)
    not feeling 'the fear' yet at all but once i line up on sunday i reckon i will feel the nerves a little till the gun goes!!!
  • Options

My first as well Andy, trained on and off for 12 hours yesterday and plan to rest all this week.

Is everyone ready??

• Options
    I've got loads of beer ?
  • Options
    Not got mine yet but it's on my check list of essentials.
  • Options
    slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭

Weather forcast looks a bit iffy  image

Never mind, we'll just have to sit in tents and drink the beer rather than laze in the sun   image

Oh.... and do a quick Triathlon of course....image

• Options
    It better not rain.... It's my OH's birthday, and it's bad enough she has to stand around in Bala all day, But if she stands around getting wet all day, I will be sleeping in the shed til Chirstmas !
  • Options
    slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭
    Dave - you've got it easy.  It's my OH's birthday as well and I'm not only going to be making her stand in the rain all day but camp in it for two nights!   I will be sleeping in the tortoise pen till the house is sold as part of the divorce!!
  • Options
    bhflyerbhflyer ✭✭✭

Sounds like there could be a load of aching guys sleeping in sheds come next week! Not my Mrs' birthday but nonetheless she won't take too kindly to hanging around in the rain with the kids. Fingers crossed the weather is kind to us.

What time are people arriving at the campsite on saturday, and will I be able to spot the pirate gang?

• Options

Pirates tend to be easy to spot  It's the yellow and black outfit image

Driving over Sunday morning, So will see you there

• Options
    bhflyerbhflyer ✭✭✭
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

Pirates tend to be easy to spot  It's the yellow and black outfit image

Ahh, but do they have yellow and black tents as well?

• Options

Quite a few of them yes.............

as well as flags

• Options

I'll be arriving early afternoon hopefully, in a silver peugeot with a big green tent image  I think everyone tends to camp in the middle bit between to the two gravel roads (the top section is for caravans, if I remember correctly).  I'm sure there will be someone with a flag or sticker. 

I think i'm getting the cold, which i'm highly hacked off about image  Fingers crossed it doesn't come to anything, this tri is hard will be hard enough as it is!

• Options

Hopefully  between  10 and 11  on Saturday in white transit van. apparently I have to park near the wall / fence so it doesn't obstruct the view.

Just checked the info and it looks like I'll be in the girls wave image 
    smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

Hope thew cold clears quickly Lee, I've had a weird cold thing going on the last week. Not felt ill or under the weather but occasional mild sore throat and mildly  congested which clears quite easily image as long as it doesn't develop into something more serious I'm sure I'll be fine.
  • Options
    I'll prob be there late afternoon as its a fairly long slog for me (maybe 4ish if I'm lucky).  Hopefully I'll be able to find you all pretty easily.
  • Options
    bhflyerbhflyer ✭✭✭
    We're driving up to stay with a relative in Shropshire on Friday, then over to the campsite hopefully for around midday on Saturday. Black astra estate and a big blue trailer tent.
  • Options

Just checking race details....

They've put on a bike cut-off this time, and I think i'll be chasing it.  I'm such a slow-coach, and last year bike took me 4:08 (after a 61 min swim), thought i'm hoping this year to be sub-4:00, so should get to T2 for around 14:50 ish (based on my start time), so should just make it.  Run finish will be dismantled before I get back from the run though imageimage  F*ck I wish i was a bit faster!!!!! Arggggg

• Options
    yeah i think this is so unfair...considering i go in the last wave...even if i swim a 45 (which i probably wont) i'll only have around 4 hours....i do a local 25 mile loop with about 750 climbing in about 1.35 so potentially i could do 3.5 but i've never ridden this route so i just dont know how tough its gonna be.....run will be 2.5 hours at least i think...lol....so i might be at the back!!! not that i'm bothered.....do they give out a medal at this race???
  • Options
    I came dead last in 2010 Andy, so i'm looking at a repeat performance, hahaha.  Based on your local loop, you'll probably be quicker than 3.5 on this bike.  I'm just a bit guff on the hills, so it takes me longer than most.  I'm hoping i'll be a bit better this year right enough....  You don't get a medal, but a big thick towel which has 'Bala Middle Distance Tri' sewn into it, or at least we did last year.  Good quality towel though, still going strong image