Options

Inspire "Elders"

Comments

• Options
    Farby - for swimming I've got a Sportcount lap counter, it's like a tiny watch that fits on my forefinger, at the end of each lap I just need to hit the button with my thumb. It works brilliantly, don't remember now how much it cost, had it for years but it wasn't that expensive I know. You can get others that have extra functions but mine is just basic. 
  • Options

image I might look for one of those, i'm always losing count.

Sebby I am looking forward to the weekend, but like cabbey, not the run, as I feel my training is a bit lacking! I am looking forward to the drink/s at the end, which spurs me on to get my back side round at a reasonable paceimage

Cabbey I have told Lou to book the date for Stamford, we will be bimbling around so your more than welcome to come party at the back with us

• Options
    Oooh, don't know if you can see the Salomon XC trainers on the top advert, but that's what I got and they're great image

Morning all. Getting very excited now, just had a early check in email for the airport. I'm so glad I'm not concerned about doing this race as fast as possible as my cold is at that horrible mucusy stage image It could be so much worse though, so I'm not going to whinge about it.

Lincoln looks so sad today and keeps putting his head on my lap and looks rather pitiful. This is the first time he's done this, I think he's learning suitcases mean we leave him image

RP, I could be tempted with Stamford as a very hard training run for something (just not sure what that something is yet). I was originally thinking of Connemara but I'm not making any decisions/booking anything until after India... Who knows, I may hate ultras... I doubt it, but you never know do you?
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

UI - I can understand the idea and advantage of outdoor swimming (no chlorine). It's the cost of the wetsuit means it never gets beyond the 'idea' stage with me.

RP - trust you had your shorts on in the rain as your legs would be easier to dry than your trousers image  Perhaps the last one to finish at the weekend pays for the post-race drinks .. that should motivate you all to a good time.

Sebby - thanks for your thoughts re shoulder. It's frustrating all this sitting around and very tempting to try and go out .. but I know in the long run the best thing is to wait until it's 100% sorted.

Cabbey - had a image at you looking forward to the get-together but not the run! I could use some of those XC trainers to go running off-road in Ciren Park. But me being a tight-ar$e I've entered the competition to try and win some of those Salomon's. Had a image at Lincoln noticing the suitcase and getting morose - you'll be having to spell things out soon (a la Billy Conolly song).

*waves* to everyone else

I see my adopted town (Wootton Bassett) officially gets it 'Royal' prefix this Sunday. The Princess Royal in attendance, marching bands in the high street, the handing over of the 'letters patent' from the queen, new road signs and the breaking out of the new royal flag. Assorted flunkies in attendance, a flypast by the RAF, big-screen tv's set up and park & ride laid on from Lydiard Park for the expected thousands of visitors. All at an estimated cost of £65,000 which apparently the local council has to foot the bill for! Now call me cynical but you would expect the royal coffers (or some govt department) would pay for all of this wouldn't you as it's not exactly a common occurence? I see a local MP (James Gray) has even started an appeal for donations so that us local taxpayers don't have to pay for it all. I don't have any interest in the royal family myself (far too many 'minor' royals, too many hangers on) so I won't be changing my name on here anytime soon to royalwtnmel image

• Options

Ha ha image loving the "Royalwtnmel" ... made me laugh out loud that!

I have also tried to win a pair of those trainers on here Mel image... as for Lincoln, I asked for a "kiss" today before I left and he turned his head away in a right huff. We once had a dog when I was younger and you could offer him toffee chocolate drops while he was getting a bath and he would close his eyes and turn his back on you... needless to say we found it highly amusing image 

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Cabbey - my friend B&T said the idea made her laugh out loud so much she pleaded with me to change it - so I have! image Love Lincoln getting in a huff with you .. must be like having a teenager?

• Options
    Ha ha... oh how I chortled when I saw your name change on my bookmarks Mel image
  • Options
    UI - that's exactly the type of thing I'm looking for, but as I'm restricted to internet shopping at the moment I'm having immense difficulty finding anything. The only one I've found so far is a £40 effort, and I just don't swim enough to find that worthwhile.

Min - thanks for the tip image Not on their online store, but I'm going to give them a call later and ask if they still have any and can they send it please image

Should be swimming right now, but a combination of meeting someone I knew in the store and chatting for an hour (an hour??) and my current ear difficulty has convinced me that I should just make my dinner instead. I had an early start dealing with an illegal fisherman, and I have a hectic social weekend ahead, so I should really get some rest instead. But I might swim in the morning instead...

I'm also looking at getting a proper bike to train on after my hired bike was stolen last Friday. There are some good deals about, and the idea seduced me in to looking at Triathlons last night! Not going to happen, not going to happen!! But if I was going to train in 3 disciplines, what should my training diary look like? Should I just run, swim, bike, run, swim, bike, rest? Or can I do double days? run, swim and bike, run, swim, run, bike, rest? My current routine has me run, swim, run, swim, long run, rest, rest. Grateful for any thoughts - or outright astonishment, and exclamations that the sun appears to have addled my brains!!! image

• Options
    RoyalWtnMel wrote (see)

Perhaps the last one to finish at the weekend pays for the post-race drinks .. that should motivate you all to a good time.

ha ha ha tis not going to be meimage now if it was the first person, then that would definately be the OH!!!

I like the royal mel gotta keep it

We have had a cat adopt us tonight! of all the weekends for it to ahve happened. It is just as well my folks are looking after master RP at home, so the cat can stay till Monday and we will deal with it then

• Options
    imageFarby I looked at them. As for tri, you know you want to do it!!!! training is generally, swim x2 sessions per week, 1 long bike, 1 long run, 1 brick session (bike followed by run) and a speed session preferably the weaker of bike/run (or alternate each week) plus a rest day(somewhere)
  • Options

good evening all

been in norwich all day shopping for madison, she's got some new clothes and her mum went to the build a bear store and she now has her first teddy bear

• Options

Hi all, thanks for the good wishes.  I'm doing fine thanks, not even as busy as I have been but internet at home is being very sporadic so have struggled to get online (I think I have done something bad to my laptop it seems unhappy!)  Just popped in to wish everyone very best of luck this weekend but spotted that Min is already in transit/ possibly already there so may be a bit late.  Best of racing to you all I shall be sponsoring mile 20 if anyone needs a lift around then.

Mel I love the Royal name - def change it!

Farby - someone else not doing a tri I'm with you all the way.  No idea when you're supposed to sleep in RP's training plan.  Quick hypothetical question for you RP, I like to do some yoga and a bit of weight training to compliment my running.  Would I need to drop these to fit swimming and biking in?  I feel they are both very useful so would be loath to let them go entirely.  This is entirely hypotetical of course, I still have no bike and can't swim front crawl!

Finally sending some ((())) to poor abandoned Lincoln.  I hope he has a good dogminder for the weekend!

• Options
    X post there Q - big ahhhh for the first teddy bear!
  • Options

Hello all

Cabby - Poor Lincoln! I have just purchased Salmon speedccross 3's, haven't run in them yet...but prepared for all weather conditions now!

BecX- I can see another pirate emerging!

GOOD LUCK to all the Amsterdam team..have a great time!

• Options
     good luck to all the marathon runners this weekend
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Farby - can't help with tri training advice I'm afraid .. will leave that to the 'experts' but will note that I sometimes struggle just to fit in my runs.

RP - the 'royal' bit of the name is growing on me now .. must be all the forelock tugging and curtseying that's going on around me! image 

GQ - always nice to go shopping for the little 'uns .. Mrs Wm loves it and never realised how much fun being a granny was going to be.

Bec - can't remember if I mentioned it or not - a friend on another thread said yoga would be a good idea for me to get myself more flexible so there's no rerun of the current shoulder problems.

Just to say - I won't be going anywhere near RWB on Sunday as we are off to Warwick to see our grand-daughters (and their Mum and Dad of course!). I will be coming off the painkillers/anti-inflammatories over the weekend so will see how my shoulder feels early next week. I expect it will take a few days for the pills to work their way out of my system. I woke up this morning laying on my right side (ie. the bad shoulder) so that's a good sign. However, I noticed some pain this morning when I got out of the car so it's obviously still not 100%. But I'm getting there ..

• Options

Farby, tri training is, just like running training, varied and very individual. If you feel like testing the waters (see what I did there?) next spring with a sprint or super-sprint, just make sure you do a couple of sessions of each discipline every week, and occasionally put in a "brick", swim/run or bike/run, doesn't have to be a lot, 30 mns on the bike and a 10mn so-called T-run (transition run) will do to start with. Most triathletes practice the bike-run transition because it's the hardest. But there are many ways of fitting the training in, one of my favourites is to either bike or run to the pool or lake, do my swim, and bike or run back home. Or combine training sessions with necessary chores - e.g. next week I have to take my car in for service and winter tyres, the garage is roughly 20km away so I'll put my bike in the car, drive to the garage, then cycle back home. Do the reverse to collect the car.

As a veteran triathlete of nearly 20 years experience, I have to say I enjoy all the training nearly as much as racing! One of my very favourite workouts is during Ironman training build-up, it's cycle 25km, T-run 10km, times 3.

Try a tri - almost everyone falls in love with it!

• Options
    *Bounces up and down, sitting on hands*

Come on!! How did everyone do? I know Cabbey must have been about 4h45 from the comment on FB, but what about everyone else???
  • Options

good morning all

• Options

Is it too soon to ask for race reports yet?? I'm assuming you're back in the country at least and I've waited a whole day to ask!

My cross country season starts this weekend so I can promise some amusing tales of my exploits in the mud as a trade off.  This year we've got the course back where I fell in a stream last time I ran it (well more slid back into a stream on failing to jump it properly really, I made the marshal laugh!)

On other running news I attempted to pace a clubmate to a sub 25 5km on Saturday, we just missed it clocking 25.03 but it was a new PB at least and given she'd run a marathon the previous weekend she did a fantastic job.  We're going to try again in a few weeks and I am slightly concerned I won't be able to keep up with her.

• Options
    Evening all image

My race report is not my usual 40 pages long and not very interesting, but it's already on my blog if you're interested. I think there will be some very interesting reports from
    others (I'm saying no more) image but you won't hear from Min for at least a couple of days as she's still on her jollies
  • Options
    Cabby - well done and welcome home -  where is your blog?
  • Options

Morning all - this is Mij borrowing herselfs logon .........  apart from Paula on FB I can't find any Hamster Jam reports ...... come on people!

And yes Claire where? Fetch maybe?

• Options
    Nope Marrakesh in Feb image
  • Options

MWW/ Mij - Cabbey's got a blog page.  It's called After Thoughts I think and I have the link on my laptop at home but not at work and can't seem to locate it via a google search.  Report is there I have read it and very much enjoyed it!  No dobt she'll appear soon with the link.

How and you and herself Mij?  I've just remembered I heard Sister get a mention on the radio a couple of Friday's ago on her way to the Round Norfolk Relay?  I think it was her at least, the name sounded right from my memory and it was someone on the way to a running event!

• Options
    5:52:20 and I survived. I've just typed my race report but I've got no way of uploading it until tonight as I'm on a train to London... will catch up properly then *waves*
  • Options

Ooops, sorry... thought everyone knew my blog link.... it's here....

http://cabbey-afterthoughts.blogspot.com/

like I said though... not up to my usual race report standard.

• Options
    Cabbey put on FB that she was just 4 mins outside her PB, which must mean she was something like 4h45 from my investigative work on Fetch! No news of anyone else though image
  • Options
    Hi Farby, yes, I was 4;45;43. Don't worry, I'm sure the others will be around soon to tell you how it went. I think a lot of people went back to work today whereas I don't go back until tomorrow. Peggs news is up there though ^^^^^^ she did bloody marvellously image