Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

RR - rest for you from now on.  The job's done, anyway.  Arnica for the knee.  And probably some more chocolate for your organism.

Last 10k coming up for me this morning.  I always like the "last run"...I get all reflective about training and the race.  And the sun is shining image

I have a spare WWKD bracelet that I will bring with me.

• Options

OUCH - RR, go steady, rest up and ice - arcica?  good for bruises.

Off to shop today - Green Ribbon, Green Ribbon......image

Peeing down and chuffing cold, so I'm glad it's a non run/jog day, will be back out on me legs tomorrow for a swifty 6k.

packing list to do/case to find - I'm all behind at the moment - trying not to get overly nervous, so leaving it till Thursday.  Do I need my hair straighteners???  will anyone notice?

I've googled map'd from each place to each place, so I have one page for each journey that I'm intending to do - it gives you a list of each metro/street and distance  it's great....

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Onetit wrote (see)

OUCH - RR, go steady, rest up and ice - arcica?  good for bruises.

Off to shop today - Green Ribbon, Green Ribbon......image

Peeing down and chuffing cold, so I'm glad it's a non run/jog day, will be back out on me legs tomorrow for a swifty 6k.

packing list to do/case to find - I'm all behind at the moment - trying not to get overly nervous, so leaving it till Thursday.  Do I need my hair straighteners???  will anyone notice?

I've googled map'd from each place to each place, so I have one page for each journey that I'm intending to do - it gives you a list of each metro/street and distance  it's great....

What's wrong with Green? It's a beautiful colour! image

Do what I do - wear a cap so noone notices your hairimage

• Options
    And for those who don't bring small notes to pastapapa, round-up to the nearest 100s rule applies.

On topic of list, we need list of lists for some or all of items. It's mostly action oriented, so we call it action item list, for example

Item 1:Vaseline, action items:

-check quantity

-bring extra bottle with checked baggage

-list of areas to apply, under arm pits, groin etc etc

Item 2: Gel: action items:

-check for leakage

-trim and rounded off sharp edges

-pre-loading procedures: pin 2 on waist-bands in front of shorts, 2 at back, 2.5inches from centre, 2 in back pockets etc

-hang pre-loaded shorts safely so that it won't be sat on by mistake.

-Item 3: footwear; action items

-bring shoes, in-sole(or orthotics), shoe laces

-check inside of shoes and clear any pebbles lodged inside, vacuum suck if necessary.

-check outsole for any undesired foreign material, thump-tack etc.

-pick pebbles from pores of orthotic

-pre-tie shoe laces, medial side should be 0.8 inches longer

Pls add whatever still missing....
  • Options

I'm a tad superstitious......never had anything green in my life....I know - odd...! but I will find a suitable shade so I'm not Billy No Mates.

I wear a baseball cap when running, but it's for after - quite like to look reasonably tidy...LOL

But after shuffiling along for 42+km's am I going to give a stuff about my hair???  Prob not.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Onetit wrote (see)

I'm a tad superstitious......never had anything green in my life....I know - odd...! but I will find a suitable shade so I'm not Billy No Mates.

I wear a baseball cap when running, but it's for after - quite like to look reasonably tidy...LOL

But after shuffiling along for 42+km's am I going to give a stuff about my hair???  Prob not.

Ooh- I see. I'd be nervous too but then again - i'm stupidly superstitious!

I don't really mind about how my hair looks. All I care about is that medal around my neck!

@Larri - good call about hoovering out your shoes. Ive ran a few races with a stone stuck in it.

• Options

Sorry about the question (not quite related to the marathon but I have got to look after my support team). I have been told that Oxford Street is the place to go if you want to go shopping in London. What about Paris? Is there an equivalent?

• Options

I'm now having a WTFSI Moment........I have hair like a bog brush but I still have to take hairdryer and straightners.......WTF.........Just so my teenage daughter can use them..........apparently they don't fit in her case.....clothes or them she was told..........slamming doors........grrrrrrrrrrrrrimage

• Options

How many jelly beans am I going to need on Sunday, and where am I  putting them whilst running??? The pocket on my blet doesn't seem big enough??? do I put the pack(S) where the bottle normally goes?? Madness in full force today.........and partly because some person told me last night that there is no way I should be considering running on Sunday...............

• Options
    Denis Duret wrote (see)

Sorry about the question (not quite related to the marathon but I have got to look after my support team). I have been told that Oxford Street is the place to go if you want to go shopping in London. What about Paris? Is there an equivalent?

image Denis is our resident homme français!

I am not sure such a street does exist in Paris M. Duret. The city is mainly famous for car tyre production and it's pretty harbour.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Rather than the Paris Metro Map download the RATP app. Its free, contains the map and will also plan routes for you - including times, lines and direction of travel.

Brilliant app.

Kaz - any chance that your hotel/apartment provides a hairdryer?

I'm in work today, so I can't check the forum as often as I would like (every 10 minsimage ) aaargh

• Options

Cheers ATM - god bless you and your ability to post pictures

Hi Aliya, Chas, MG09, Claire (don't panic)

Danni - can you stick me down for a wristband please? What you going to do with the double booking? Can you defer Chicago?

NB2 - if you've got space, you could squeeze a kettle in your bag. That's my plan, altho I don't have an entourage to pack for.

RS - I knew there was something I'd forgotten image

RR - ouch too. Hopefully the calf thing's a phantom pain. I'd stick it in the niggle box and forget about it (it's like the hurt locker, but bigger).

Larri - you win today's OCD award.

Today's picture's especially for the doctors in the house...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-g_YItRoAisA/TWMZduVyLmI/AAAAAAAAAeI/ld-V7pOSg9I/s1600/xray_hand.jpg

• Options
    yer_maj wrote (see)

And probably some more chocolate for your organism.

Wow, that must be good chocolate if it gives you a....oh, wait...you typed organism.

My mistake.

• Options

Orbutt - The first flat(that fell through) had a hairdryer, waher/dryer and everything........the one now has neither.........so making a 8 days worth of packing for 3 interesting..........image But 6 pairs of shoes.......Getting it sorted but just making sure things are not too limited and enough so we don't smell!!!!!image

• Options

Think were sorted..........2 cabin size cases, 1 slightly larger and 1 medium........Certainly not travelling light but 1 cabin size case contains running gear only!! so 3 cases for 3 people really........

• Options
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

image Denis is our resident homme français!

Definitely "Homme Français” but I am not sure about resident. I live in the UK so I am not a French resident but you could say that I am resident on this forum, although not very active.

• Options

Denis, depends what you want to buy .... round about rue de Rivoli is good, you have BHV (best DIY dept ever), lots of shops on rue de R heading towards Châtelet and the shopping centre underneath Les Halles just behind.  But then I'm a girl and into H&M, Sephora and Monoprix ...

For sports stuff Decathlon is brilliant for basics, but it's cheaper in the UK for anything else.

Now if it's food, then the Madeleine is where to go, the Maille mustard shop, loads of fancy shops for presents like Fauchon and Hédiard and if you are into macaroons then Ladurée in rue Royale with Pierre Hermé (which I prefer) just round the corner, opposite WH Smith.

For posh dept stores then Au Bon Marché is nice with a fantastic food hall next door, La Grande Epicerie.  If not then Galeries Lafayette and Printemps are good but be prepared to fight through hoards of tourists.

If anyone is into makeup then Sephora own brand is brilliant, made by the same manufacturer as the Chanel stuff and really good value.  Their toiletries are great too.  Chemists are great for face creams at reasonable prices.

If anyone has specific questions, fire away ...

• Options
    TartanPimpernel wrote (see)

Denis, depends what you want to buy

Thanks. That is great. It is for my wife and daughter. I have never heard of Au Bon Marché so I will send them there and possibly Sephora.

• Options

Bon Marché is close to rue de Rennes, lots of shops all around that area going down to St Germain des Près, lots of nice cafés too.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Tartan - we went into Les Halles once. Only just made it out. It's the only place that I've been to where even the maps are confusing - and they're electronic too :~

• Options

I get lost there too ... but know my way to New Look as there is an entrance that's direct from St Eustache.

As for changing trains there .... you can spend hours wandering the corridors ...

• Options

J-5 email just dropped in, but I get the French version so can't snigger at strange terminology .... 

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Well that's my last training run done.  10k...still feeling knackered and sicky but I'm not running again before Sunday.  Decided I'm going to run in the new shoes - they've got 53 miles on them and they felt great this morning image

• Options
    We used to have a Bon Marche in Chester, Denis ... Where New Look is now opposite Cotswold...

Our apartment is 200m from Les Halles metro, and has 2 hair dryers. ( thank dog as there are 4 wimmin )
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Kaz - we have a washing machine, we're in Paris until Wednesday.  You're very very welcome to come over and do a load of washing!  I might even make you a cuppaimage

• Options
    M BaldiniM Baldini ✭✭✭

That's me done as well. 4 very easy miles. Calf and achilles very tight but no pain. fingers crossed they hold out. A quick hour spin class tonight just to keep the lungs inflated and then let the carbs begin tomorrow....bring on the bread....image

• Options
    Marv Baldini wrote (see)

A quick hour spin class tonight ...

I tried spinning once but it left me really tired.  

I pricked my finger and  slept for 100 years.

• Options
    TP - today's is a particular treat:

'give yourself some pleasure by displaying your nationality with the help of a small flag'

• Options

YM - Thank You......you may regret the offer!image

5 miles for me tonight and 4 tomorrow.....that'll be it and no more circuit training either - I canna lift my arms above me head the day.image

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

RR - I loved this line.

'Put bandages in an X over your nipples as soon as you get out of your morning shower, to avoid forgetting during the excitement at the start.'

Are we sure they're talking about running in these messages?