Options

Grizzly 2005

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for that snap, looks like a trip to the running shop is needed.
  • Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    I make do in Asic Gel Guts trail shoes. I wouldn't go for out and out MT whoes or walshes this close to the event. In my experince they take some breaking in.
  • Options
    I'm thinking of wearing my New Balance 781 but I'm also considering buying the Terroc from Inov8 for the Grizzly.
    A few weeks ago I did the Coastal Half-marathon (80% off road) and had terrible pain in the outside of my knee after the run and couldn't walk for 1 day. I was wearing my New Balance and I don't think they were flexible enough for the terrain.
  • Options
    forgot to say .... the 2 Entry I had available are now gone.
  • Options
    Grizzly 2005:

bayrunner
    HMG
    Iain
    Ian bawler
    Iluvmud
    Juggler
    jw in bristle
    Kam
    Lin C
    Mak's Friend (less Mak)
    Moe, 223
    oldhasbeen (cub run)
    pab
    Plum
    Supervet
    Seabird
    snap
    Vampire, 222
  • Options
    Will road shoes be OK for the cub run?

Not sure I want to go to the expense of MT shoes for a short run like that and also time is running out now to work in a new type of shoe.

Hmmm should have checked up on that before really........
  • Options
    who is arriving when & staying where?, about 10 of us from my club arriving fri night & staying at holiday camp, staying sun night as well as last years drive home on the sunday was hard work for the drivers.

ohb - if you do not want to buy out & out mt shoes get something like jazz 5000 which you can also use on road, anything with a bit of grip really.

• Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    oldhasbeen: Club run is mostly off road, and will probably include some muddy tracks, a section of shingle beach and a steep ascent/descent or two. Its not possible to predict what you will get because the course changes each year.

Since you are <unlikely> to do the really boggy bits ordinary shoes with unworn soles will probably be OK.
  • Options
    What do you do about drinking on the grizzly do you take camelbacks or just use the water stops?
    I intend running in asics gel guts will these be up to the job? I normally wear brooks beasts but orthotics should be arriving end febuary, do i put them in for the grizzly this close to the event or wait until after?
  • Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Ian: There are usually sufficient water stops, but not a huge number. I run in Gel Guts and they seem OK. I've used used them for several years.

Oh, and my number (1020) arrived this morning. No backing out now!
  • Options
    Thanks for that, next question are lace locks ok or is it proper laces?
  • Options
    Ian, keep the lace lock for the Tri only if u can, apparently lots of triathletes who gets some kind of foot injury are caused by the lace locks. I can't remember exactly what the podiatrist says but it's something to do with not being tight enough on the shoes and not supporting your foot properly!
  • Options
    Thanks Maks friend. I got new shoes recently but I've also decided to get some trail shoes anyway because I would like to do more off road. It'll all depend if I can get them worn in in time for the race so I could still be turning up in the road shoes!

It's all in the balance anyway. My knees will be the decider. If they're good I'll be running, if not I'll be a very resentful spectator watching my husband run.
  • Options
    How about the new Grizzly Approach from Saucony, Pete Ferlie must be hearing the cash register ringing already! Great to see a sensible price tag!!
  • Options
    Thanks Maks friend, have ordered a pair of Asics Tioga. Hopefully they will arrive in time to try them out next week on Golden Cap.

If the weather stays this dry for the next three weeks there should not be too much mud!
  • Options
    Grizzly 2005:

bayrunner
    HMG
    Iain
    Ian bawler
    Iluvmud
    Juggler
    jw in bristle
    Kam
    Lin C
    Mak's Friend (less Mak)
    Moe, 223
    oldhasbeen (cub run)
    pab
    Plum 673
    Supervet
    Seabird
    snap
    Vampire, 222
  • Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    BR: Don't bank on the lack of mud! Its been known to be thigh deep in the bog.
  • Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Grizzly 2005:

bayrunner
    HMG
    Iain
    Ian bawler
    Iluvmud
    Juggler
    jw in bristle
    Kam
    Lin C
    Mak's Friend (less Mak)(1020)
    Moe, 223
    oldhasbeen (cub run)
    pab
    Plum 673
    Supervet
    Seabird
    snap
    Vampire, 222
  • Options
    I only got a grizzly place last weeekend so am a little late in my training as i was only going to do 1 half in march, is it wise to do the grizzly with so little training? This is my training plan for next few weeks:
    24th feb-12miles
    27th feb-15 miles
    3rd mar-12miles
    6th mar 19miles or bideford half
  • Options
    Ian B,

firstly, as an orthotics wearer, I did find that it took about 4-5 weeks to get used to running with orthotics in my shoes (without any aches and pains) so it might be too close to the race for you to change things.

Secondly, in previous years I have run the Grizzly with very little trainging and survived!
    The secret I felt was that on the Grizzly there are places where you will have to wait and places where nearly everyone walks.
    Don't go off too fast,be prepared to walk on the first hill out of BEER and conserve energy ready for the second half of the race when you will probably be passing a lot of people!
  • Options
    You'll be fine running a bit short on training Ian. Unless you're right at the front it's more an excersize in pace judgement than a race. Many people will have trained hard and been in peak fitness then they'll go blasting off up the 1st hill and be spent by the top of the 2nd. Just take it steady at the start and it'll pay big dividends later on.

Three weeks to go....... Enjoy.

Maybe I'll see you in Bideford :)
  • Options
    Grizzly 2005:

bayrunner
    HMG
    Iain
    Ian bawler
    Iluvmud
    Juggler
    jw in bristle
    Kam
    Lin C
    Moe, 223
    My left knee (515)
    oldhasbeen (cub run)
    pab
    Plum 673
    Supervet
    Seabird
    snap
    Vampire, 222
  • Options
    I'll be there too - will add myself to the list when I actually receive my number.
  • Options
    BayRunner (1571)
    HMG
    Iain
    Ian bawler
    Iluvmud
    Juggler
    jw in bristle
    Kam
    Lin C
    Moe, 223
    My left knee (515)
    oldhasbeen (cub run)
    pab
    Plum 673
    Supervet
    Seabird
    snap
    Vampire, 222
  • Options
    Grizzly "1000 steps for mankind"

BayRunner - No 1571
    HMG - No 112
    Iain
    Ian bawler
    Iluvmud
    Juggler
    jw in bristle
    Kam
    Lin C
    Mak's Friend (less Mak)- No 1020
    Moe, 223
    My left knee - No 515
    oldhasbeen (cub run)
    pab
    Plum - No 673
    Supervet
    Seabird
    snap
    Vampire - No 222
  • Options

BayRunner - No 1571
    HMG - No 112
    Iain
    Ian bawler
    Iluvmud
    Juggler
    jw in bristle
    Kam
    Lin C
    Moe - No 223
    My left knee - No 515
    oldhasbeen (cub run)
    pab
    Plum - No 673
    Supervet
    Seabird
    snap
    Vampire - No 222
  • Options
    Due to personal circumstances
    i can not do this
    does anyone want a number?
    email me
    first one gets it
  • Options

BayRunner - No 1571
    HMG - No 112
    Iain
    Ian bawler
    Iluvmud
    Juggler
    jw in bristle
    Kam
    LW* - no 3172 (cub run)
    Lin C
    Moe - No 223
    My left knee - No 515
    oldhasbeen (cub run)
    pab
    Plum - No 673
    RW* - no 55
    Supervet
    Seabird
    snap
    Vampire - No 222

• Options
    Just recieved my number 1137,keep a look out for me lying face down some where along the way,Id better wear my no on my back just in case.Dont forget to visit trotters cafe,the food is superb and you get loads.
  • Options
    Anyone know if there's a number I can ring to change my entry details. I've bought a race number off a friend who is V50. There's a chance I'll run well enough for a V50 prize, but am only a senior, and I don't want to cause a mix up.

I didn't see anything on the Axe website.

Cheers