Options

PROVISIONAL Helphire Bath Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    The course is pretty flat, though very dull. The race is basically a tour of Bath's industrial area with a bit of modern residential thrown in for variety.

The teeshirt wasn't worth having last year, so I doubt its absence will make much difference. You had to buy your own medal last year, and even the chocolate bars had all gone by the time I finished. All in all, a bit of a disaster of a race. It didn't help that it poured with rain and blew a gale, admittedly. If the weather is OK it will be a pleasant enough run, but one of those ones where you wonder what your money actually goes on. Certainly isn't on benefits for the runners.

The locals seem to like it though.
  • Options
    I'm localish - I like it.
    A lot of the peeps who did it last year must have signed up again, so it can't be all bad.
    It would certainly be better if the race went past the Abbey and some of the other Bath stuff, but I guess that's down to traffic, etc.
    And it is almost flat...
  • Options
    WrintyWrinty ✭✭✭
    I once described the course as a run through the Thomson Local Directory - on account of all of the car bodyshops and exhaust centres that it passes.
  • Options
    Four pages since we saw the list and I'm going to change my estimated time from 2.15-2.30 to 2.00-2.15 as training has been going very well (apart from hamstring injury this past week.) Also I did 8mile race last weekend in 74 mins, which race predictor works out as 2hr 4mins, so I'm quite hopeful.

Birdy Pie
    Blisters (2107)(1:25)
    Blond Dog
    Bodjit
    Chaos
    Glugg (Race No.2822)(hoping to do 85mins)
    Grubbysoles (2:05)
    Head Gone (Hope to finish this year)(1540) 2:30
    Josie Jump (sub 2hr attempt)
    Josie's big little bro (first half)
    Josie's little little bro (first half)
    Mitten
    Monkfish (first half)
    Mr J (first half)
    Musketeer (4173)
    Oft (89:59)
    Pablo Honey (1st sub 2hr attempt)
    Pompey Jon (1:59.59)
    Pompey Jon's Bruv (1:59.58 probably)
    Raggy (sub 1.45)
    Ratcatcher (1:30)
    Rocks 2093 (1:25)
    RogerDodge 4222 (2:30-2:40)
    Skipp (first half)
    Spans
    Stace. 1033 (sub 1:50) I hope!
    Tea & Toast Man (1:42-1:45)
    The Doc (Race No 516)
    The Ed (Race No 1077)
    Tixylix (Race No. 1495)
    Toucan
    Wrinty (669)(1:23)
    Zzz (Race no.2020)(first half)(2:00-2:15)
  • Options
    WrintyWrinty ✭✭✭
    Have you seen the latest update on the "Running High" website - 'Race packs race numbers up to 6,500 will be mailed out this weekend, so the bulk of runners should receive their race number by Friday 11th ' - I think that last year they said Friday 13th which would explain rather a lot:-)
  • Options
    So fingers crossed everything will go smoothly this year!
  • Options
    I've not popped in here for a while. A long while. What's the news regarding the chosen timing electronics?

Oh- Zzzoooming - the hill in the first mile is one that you go down, but you've got to go back up it to get to the finish. At mile 3 (& again 8) there's an upwards stretch. It's the finish one you'll remember. However, I've still got my pb on this course.
  • Options
    6 weeks to go!

Ta blisters, it will be a pb for me as first half!

Been out for 14miles today, and aren't my knees complaining now.
  • Options
    Yup race packs for the first 6,500 entrants in the post this weekend.

Sorry about dropping the T-shirts, but we got a few complaints from runners & the local press last year about quality of the free shirts (even though they were exactly the same as previous years) and people wanting medals instead. So this year its free medals for a change. You just can't please everyone !

Also New Balance thought it was time we started selling their excellent high performance T-shirts instead of giving away cheap cotton freebies - I could see their point !

As to profits, go talk to our bank manager, he wants to know where they are ! These events are a nightmare to organise & not a good business to get rich quick. What a suspicious lot you are !

About the course. I think Great Pulteney Street, Green Park (Brunel's great station) & Queen Square are pretty amazing backdrops to this race to name a few, but hey I live here ! You're bound to get a few boring bits in every course. We could make it more scenic by taking you along the crescents as long as you don't mind the hills they sit on !

Timing chips will be standard issue disposable RFID tags embedded on the race numbers.

Keep up the training - see you all on 20th March
  • Options
    Just updating me..... pb of 1:55:51 at the weekend on hilly course so am hoping for a really good time in Bath (but I will have only got back from a week in Florida the weekend before so I'm not over confident!!)

Birdy Pie
    Blond Dog
    Bodjit
    Chaos
    Mitten - (1:50:00ish!!)
    Monkfish (first half)
    Mr J (first half)
    Musketeer (4173)
    Raggy (sub 1.45)
    Skipp (first half)
    Spans
    The Doc (Race No 516)
    The Ed (Race No 1077)
    Tixylix (Race No. 1495)
    Toucan
  • Options
    Well done on pb mitten. Why don't I go to Florida for you then you can concentrate on smashing your pb?!

RD-thanks for keeping us informed. I do like a medal, and they last longer than a t-shirt.
  • Options
    First time I did Bath half in 1995 we all got a bottle of beer from the race sponsor, Ushers brewery. Much more useful!
  • Options
    Back to beer again glugg!!!!!!
    Have you managed any training inbetween of the glugging?!!
  • Options
    Silly that you have been training or silly that you have been drinking?!!
  • Options
    Sciatica still stopping me running and propping up my favourite bar. The bars a bit low and it really hurts!.
  • Options
    You know what to do then glugg......sit down at the bar!
    Are you still hoping to enter this race?
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that glugg, I was looking forward to having a pint of abbeys with you after! When will you decide?
  • Options
    Zoom, ummm tempting offer!! Thanks but I'm think I'm going to use Florida for a bit of 'in the sun training'.

Should help no end :-))
  • Options
    On the day!. Still going for the weekend, train and accomodation all paid for so I dont want to waste that. If I cant run I`ll do a silly dance and be a cheerleader. And I`m more than ready for that pint!.
  • Options
    If anyone is interested and hasn't got a place - they've just released 250 places exclusively to RW for the Bath Half on 20th March.

Hurry, Hurry, Hurry Bath Half - Enter Online
    RD
  • Options
    I've just entered online. What's the course like?
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I've just entered too. I've heard it's a good course, but I guess it depends on what kind of run people have experienced to how they view it!:o)
  • Options
    Hilly that looks like a cardiff half picture you have there. Am I right!!
  • Options
    Im in too.

Birdy Pie
    Blond Dog
    Bodjit
    Chaos
    LLL-(1:24)
    Monkfish (first half)
    Mr J (first half)
    Musketeer (4173)
    Raggy (sub 1.45)
    Skipp (first half)
    Spans
    The Doc (Race No 516)
    The Ed (Race No 1077)
    Tixylix (Race No. 1495)
    Toucan
  • Options
    Gosh that's a shock them releasing 250 places. Have a friend that would have loved to get a place but she is aboard at moment doing voluntary work.
    Welcome all that have just signed up, better get training!
  • Options
    B****r ! I Wanted to do this one a couple of weeks ago but it was full, so booked the Fleet half instead.
    Havent been to Bath in while, we love the place.......Next year for defo !!!
  • Options
    Based on what people were saying on the hill at the start/finish, It has only just dawned on me that each lap does not return completely back to the start and that it loops around at the bottom of the Wells Rd. Am I right about this? The map on the race website is a little confusing!
    Hope I am right - means I can take a good few minutes off of my expected time!
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to this one.
    See there are race numbers up - oh dear, must have misplaced my envelope,will have to have a hunt tonight.
    Hoping for sub 2 hours this time,have added myself to the (impressively large) list

Birdy Pie
    Blond Dog
    Bodjit
    Chaos
    Essy (1:58)
    LLL-(1:24)
    Monkfish (first half)
    Mr J (first half)
    Musketeer (4173)
    Raggy (sub 1.45)
    Skipp (first half)
    Spans
    The Doc (Race No 516)
    The Ed (Race No 1077)
    Tixylix (Race No. 1495)
    Toucan