Options

Maidstone Half Marathon

Comments

• Options
    obviously I didn't mean cyclig nto Maidstone.. I'll actually be cycling to Wokingham so far enough away that you won't have to fight me for that pint.
  • Options
    Turn left out of the front door on Sunday Lindi & you'll be OK ;)

Are you going to Ballbuster?
  • Options
    Thanks Lindi - I'll owe you - see you at the Wokingham Half in Feb!

Hey, I'll be doing the Ballbuster next year after my duath debut at Richmond!! :0)
  • Options
    I was thinking of going along to spectate as Box Hill's so close to me :)
  • Options
    I'm hoping to still do the Ballbuster but will have to see how it goes.

Definately not doing Luton Marafun.

I expect I'll offer to marshall the Ballbuster if I'm not fit.

• Options
    Hi there!
    I have enjoyed reading the forum in these weeks of training and thought I wrote something in too. So that you are all cheered up by how RUBBISH I am!!!

Got my no, 93, and I am a bit nervous as I haven't raced before(now I have confessed my virginity too).

Last Sunday I run about 12 miles (20 km, sorry guys I think metric) so I know I can last the course but GOD it took me ages! Well over 2 hrs, closer to 2.30 so I might just hid me skates under me running shoes!!
  • Options
    Stellina - there's never a rubbish runner when you're making the effort!

Half marathon for first race ......... very brave!!! I toyed with 10K's for a while before braving one!

Still you've at least run near distance in training unlike most of us!

I'm sure there will still be some slower than 2:30 and in race conditions you may suprise yourself!

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Stellina, welcome! Don't worry about your speed, just enjoy the experience. I'll be plodding along near the back myself ;-)
  • Options
    Stellina, I am sure that all back-of-packers would agree that running is a personal challenge. If I ever ran with the sole purpose of winning I would be in for a life of disappointment. To get into the top half of a field would be an achievement. Knowing this, I set myself two targets that may seem twee but they are simply: to run, and to do the very best that I can do. The fact that you are taking part is an achievement beyond most others. Go for it!
  • Options
    By the way my number is 247, a number that is much higher than the place in which I will finish!!!!
  • Options
    I meant lower, much lower
  • Options
    Stellina,

just remember before you call yourself slow....slow compaired to who? - over half the nation can't run a mile without stopping and you're going to do 13.1 (22 km)

My advice would be for your first 1/2M make your only goal "to enjoy the day" and really doesn't matter if it takes 70 minutes or 170 minutes

Dave
  • Options
    stellina,dont worry about your time,in a sadistic sort of way most runners will say they enjoyed themselves after running 13.1 miles just concentrate on doing this.
    iron lindi,sorry to hear your pulling out always another race.
    jeychick,have to agree with others regarding trainers,buy another pair about january than wear them alternately,this way you will always have a pair of worn in trainers.this pair wears out you buy another pair,but you still have your january pair ready to wear.(i'm confused)
    quicksilver,misread credit notice not 25 years just 6 months your welcome to it.
  • Options
    still sitting on my doorstep,postie still not delivered my number.
    starting to get cold and wet now.
  • Options
    Paul - time to ask someone to bring you a cup of tea :-)
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    <hands Paul a cup of tea and a piece of buttered toast>

Sorry you've had to pull out Lindi.
  • Options
    Thanks for the encouragement everybody! As you are all so wise and knowledgeable (not sure of the spelling of this), what do you suggest wearing on top? Will it be too cold for a vest you think?

I could also do with some tea. I will swop a cuppa for a slice of cherry cake that I have baked today (that is the reason why I run, to be able to scoff half a cake and still fit into my clothes)
  • Options
    I'll be wearing a vest (and a pair of shorts, obviously). I don't understand how anyone can run 13 miles and not get hot! At Brighton this year it was FREEZING!!! I couldn't even feel my feet for the first 4 miles. ANd I'm not even joking. But you still get warm and sweat eventually. Provided you get dressed warm asap after finishing.

On the other hand, does it come down to preference? Cos I'm amazed at the number of people that run that distance in sweatshirts on hot days????!
  • Options
    Paul - any news on your number?

My calf is still rough - gonna try running tomorrow morning to test both shoes and leg.

It's a shame, cos other than that I'm feeling really fit to run.

• Options
    had to smile today,the postie handed me a sae,great my 1/2 marathon numbers arrived.opened it up and it was the wilmington 10k number the week after maidstone.posted both entries on the same day.
    starting to look at my neighbours suspiciously now,has one of them got my number by mistake.?i will be knocking on some doors this weekend.thanks for that cup of tea redhead.
    cherry cake sounds lovely,you'll have to bring some to maidstone,stellina.
    jeychick,make sure your calf is warmed up prior to running,you could run in shorts once your calf is warm.
  • Options
    Sometimes I love running.

Today is not one of those days. Had my worst run on record. Not slowest, just the worst, most mentally challenging.

Good news on the shoes though, they're great.

Calf is not such happy news. I think I'll still be able to run Maidstone, but I'm not going to time myself, just gonna run by feel.

• Options
    JeyChick.
    Your body is just saving itself for the big day(thats what they used to say anyway),just take it steady and you will be fine.
  • Options
    Thanks Dave.

I've come down off the ceiling now - and yup, a rubbish dress rehearsal is a good sign!!!

Still planning on running by feel though, I'd rather enjoy the day than go for a race I'm not prepared for. I won't be getting a 1:40 this time, but that's completely fine. I'll get it some time soon!!

• Options
    JeyChick.
    I would be happy with 2 hours these days but it wont be.
  • Options
    jeychick,
    still a week away,just concentrate on repairing the calf,dont bother to train,maybe have a short run at the end of the week,you'll be surprised how quickly injuries can mend.

by the way postie came today and yes he did have my number,see you all next week.
  • Options
    Paul,

GOOD!!!!Bout time!!!

Thanks and thx P & D for the encouragement
  • Options
    coming up from cornwall for my second kentish half marathon of the year.was at canterbury in may- so be prepared for a cornish drubbing( or not as the case may be - ok will be) see you on the start line
  • Options
    Hi Guys
    Just checked the weather.co.uk site and showers are forecast for Sunday. I haven't checked the BBC site yet as they only do 5 days.

Getting really excited now and I am also becoming a real bore verging on the anorak with friends and family.

I did a 7 miler this morning and it was really good except for the moaning Cliff Face (He's a bit like Victor Meldrew) but he has been a great mentor and I will feel a bit sorry for him next Sunday when the student overtakes the teacher.

Stellina don't fret about times or anything else, this is my forst race and I don't really care about times. I have achieved my first objective by being fit enough to run 13.1 miles and enter a race. The next objective is to finish...
    However 1.45 would be nice.................
    EVENTUALLY. But under 2 hours and I am aiming for 1.50. Anyone else running for that time?

See you all on Sunday. Any tips for the final week from seasoned racers would be appreciated.

• Options
    and i thought i was travelling coming from essex.se6 you must have another reason for running this,are you visiting friends or family in the area.?
    old virgin,i normally run 4 or 5 miles a couple of times,monday,thursday then do nothing till sunday,it works for me.will do a 10 miler tomorrow all 3 runs will be at easy pace.