Snapstinget
    Mokina

Lochaber 23rd April
    Shades

Halstead 14th May
    Nick P

Copenhagen 21st May
    Snapstinget
  • I just had a quick read back - everyone seems to be doing well!

I did do 12 miles last Saturday - that was having taken a week to recover from a mild case of food poisoning last week which meant me missing my long run and a midweek one.

I am due to do an 8 mile race this Sunday, but, my back is not so good today so I will wait and see!

This thread is so valuable to me, even if I don't always post!!!
  • The legs are ok but I haven't run on them since my 12 miles - I've been in London for the weekend. I'm due to go out tonight so I'll know more then.
  • Duchy 12th March
    Shades

Paris 9th April
    CdK

FLM 23rd April
    Tiredgirl
    SianH
    Snapstinget
    Mokina

Lochaber 23rd April
    Shades

The Neolithic 30th april
    HappyasLarry

Halstead 14th May
    Nick P
    HappyasLarry

Copenhagen 21st May
    Snapstinget

It looks like I may have to pull out of the Benfleet 15 cross country event next Sunday because of a sore Achilles/heel. Its not too bad at the moment but I had a lot of trouble with it last year and I don't want to aggravate it then muck up the marathon training.
    I did a tempo run yesterday and managed 10.05 min/m but couldn't get faster than that but was pleased with how it felt. It seems strange having so many rest days but its good to run refreshed each time.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    HaL - probably not worth risking your achilles, especially in that mud.

tiredgirl - that's good news

I'm like 'Billy No Mates' on that list :-(
  • You've got all the the others from the sub 5 thread. We'll have to get them on here with your training plan!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I think there's only Mokina who's following the plan who hasn't posted on here
  • I did 9.1 miles yesterday (it should have been 10) and felt fine.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    that's Ok Nick, 0.9 of a mile won't make much difference.
  • Does this plan work for half marathons?
  • Can I take the silence as a resounding 'no'?

<gets coat>
  • Duchy 12th March
    Shades
    Duchy 20 so that Shades is not so lonely
    Scoobs
    Mr Scoobs

Paris 9th April
    CdK
    Scoobs
    Mr Scoobs

FLM 23rd April
    Tiredgirl
    SianH
    Snapstinget
    Mokina

Lochaber 23rd April
    Shades

The Neolithic 30th april
    HappyasLarry

Halstead 14th May
    Nick P
    HappyasLarry

Copenhagen 21st May
    Snapstinget
  • Azacaya140 - I'm sure Shades will get back to you, but she is a busy bee and at work during the day! I'm sure you would be able to adjust the mileage appropriately for a half.

• Tiedgirl – good luck with your run tonight!

CDK – hello, so you’re doing Paris too! Nice that I have company on here so please do post! Sorry to hear about tum and hope back is ok. What race are you doing this weekend? I have adjusted Shades plan for Paris, so have a 12 mile run scheduled this weekend. I had to miss the 16 miler due to lower legs.

HappyasLarry – not another one with achilles probs, welcome from another sufferer! I ran off road last Tuesday – big mistake! The achilles was painful all the way around. I thought less impact might help, but completely overlooked the fact that I would be slipping and sliding all over the place, hence pulling achilles around a bit more than it liked! Doh! So would re-iterate what Shades said! Well done on your tempo run.

NickP – well done on your run,

Snapstinget – so it’s a double whammy for you then, I hope you haven’t more tucked up your sleeve?!

Hope everyone else is ok?

Well I am resting away – yawn! But have been out on my bike. I did 32 1/4 miles yesterday in place of my long run. I have to say it was overall a great ride, but I did have a hissy fit on the worst hill. I just could not get my legs to keep going, they just gave up and my breathing…well, when I stopped I was gasping and I mean gasping for breath! But being up on Dartmoor cycling round the lanes was fabulous as I enjoyed the most fantastic views, but of course to get the views you have to go up and Dartmoor has plenty of those. Anyway apart from that one hill, where I was swearing and cussing like a good un, I had a great time! Hope that will equate to a long run, certainly felt tired last night!

Off to see Pod tomorrow. Had a sports massage today, blimey I nearly went through the roof – oooooooooowwwwwwwiiiiieeeeeee!!

Shades – see you are not alone, well not for the first 20 miles anyway! What’s another 6! <<scoobs ducks the scowls and exits thread fast before the lecture on the marathon being 2 races the first 20 and the last 6!!>>
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Scoobs, I feel better now. the marathon and 20 miler run together for the first 14 miles then you take a shortcut so you don't have to do the hill again!

Azacaya - that's not a daft question at all. Last year when training my group for Dublin marathon using this plan they all set massive PB's at a half marathon race 4 weeks before their marathon. I think the biggest PB was by 16 minutes.

However, I also have a half marathon plan, email me if you would like a copy
  • Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭
    Duchy 12th March
    Shades
    Scoobs
    Mr Scoobs

Paris 9th April
    CdK
    Scoobs
    Mr Scoobs

FLM 23rd April
    Tiredgirl
    SianH
    Snapstinget
    Mokina
    Mr Bump

Lochaber 23rd April
    Shades

The Neolithic 30th april
    HappyasLarry

Halstead 14th May
    Nick P
    HappyasLarry

Copenhagen 21st May
    Snapstinget
  • Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭
    Hello, Good to see the postings. Everyone seems to be doing well.

Scoobs - Pleased you went on the bike instead. Sound a good trip. Good luck with the pod.

Happy as Larry - I think you've hit the nail on the head. Because you're having all these rest days, you do feel rested and can therefore put in more quality. Well done on the tempo run. I find that I do recover better by having the rest days. I only run 2 days back-to-back in a 4 run week.

As for me, I had a race yesterday. Did better than I expected. 6 miles in 44:02 (7:20/mile), which I was pleasantly surprised about as it was only 3 secs outside my PB. I'd already done my long run for last week, last Wednesday, which was 13.4 miles of muddy cross-country as it turned out. Still have ankle niggle mind...although it's not getting worse...maybe ring the physio. Daft thing is, it doesn't hurt when I run...as long as I strap it up!
  • Duchy 12th March
    Shades
    Scoobs
    Mr Scoobs

Paris 9th April
    CdK
    Scoobs
    Mr Scoobs

FLM 23rd April
    Tiredgirl
    SianH
    Snapstinget
    Mokina
    Mr Bump
    Sammy Snail

Lochaber 23rd April
    Shades

The Neolithic 30th april
    HappyasLarry

Halstead 14th May
    Nick P
    HappyasLarry

Copenhagen 21st May
    Snapstinget
  • Good to see the list of marathons building up! It will be good to be able to keep in touch as people's marathons draw closer!

Well, I am enjoying this training programme (although need to keep eyes on shins etc) as tonight I ran the 5 mile club run without getting dropped (even on the big hill) at 10:15 min/miling. This is great for me (although I realise still modest) and I feel that I have made some improvements already :-)

Healing thoughts to all those with niggles and injuries - particularly Scooby - hope the visit to the pod is helpful tomorrow.
  • Scooby - well, yes, actually, now you come to mention it :-) But they are for later in the year (Sept 4th. Skovløberen - an undulating woodland marathon; Sept 24th Berlin or Odense marathon; and then maybe something in October if my legs are up to it ... and that will be in the UK ... like Abingdon or Beachy Head) Then 31 December, Socialmarathon (Copenhagen) again just for the hell of it.
  • Shades, i've sent you an e-mail for the 1/2M plan as well.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Sian - that's fab, I'm so pleased for you. Nice easy run for your next session, nuture those shins.

Scooby - like Snaps, I too have a few more races planned than on the list, but don't want you all to think I'm a complete marathon nutter..
  • <<scoobs whispers to Shades quietly to ensure no-one else hears>> I'm afraid we already know this about you, but we like nutty people very much!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    thank you Scoobs
  • ouch ouch ouch ouchouchouchouchouch

B***dy shins.

Serves me right for being smug I guess. Ran last night and the pain was awful. I had felt them during the first 3 miles on Friday but thought it was just my legs loosening after my massage (or hoped!). Not sure what to do now. Feeling a bit sad :((((
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    (((tiredgirl)))

are you icing 3 times a day?
  • no. best get off to Tesco's for the peas then.
  • Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭
    No, don't feel sad. The ice will help - believe me. Hopefully you've got the peas now.
  • tiredgirl, I know how you're feeling :-(( don't be sad!
  • ((tiredgirl)), so sorry to hear that shins are misbehaving.

Now is the pain actually on the front of the shin bone or to the side and if to the side, where exactly?

Ice is really good to reduce inflamation and calm them down. I've also been advised in the past to take anti inflams but not just for a few days but regularly for a week.

Shins can be very painful and troublesome. Where do you run? Are you running on tarmac? If so can you run on grass or trails for a while. Tarmac is very hard impact and shins do not like hard impact. Hills can play havoc with shins too. Personally I found the downhills were the worst.

Dare I say it, but the dreaded rest is the ideal solution. I know us runners hate that word and immediately go into a panic of losing our hopes and dreams. (believe me I've been there and am there now!).

But if your shins are hurting all the way through a run then it's time to back off and work out why it's happening.

Usual things, i.e. get shoes checked out, has your mileage increased a lot from what you were doing before? Have you experienced this before. If so did you work out what caused it then?

Lots of questions!! But for what it's worth a bit of rest, ice and anti inflams does help tremendously.

And a big hug to you - all is not lost. A bit of TLC now and you'll be away and at that start line!

And on that note I have actually listened to advice and am not prepared to run at the moment. I know if I do I'm going to be right back to square one within a week or two at best.

Saw pod and feet are a bit confused about what they should be doing and need some help. Basically I turn my left foot inwards (which I knew as noticed no-one else seems to do this!) and then my right foot has to compensate for it. Pod doesn't like to lump probs into the gen over/under pronation band as says this is a loose term and everyones feet are different. So I'm to have inserts made for my feet, which should help left foot to behave and save right foot from all the over work it's been having to do (poor thing!). Two weeks until they are ready and I am to wear them with all footwear. So we'll see what happens!

In the meantime, it's cycling for me.

33K on hill, level 10 in 65 mins on stationary bike in gym. I worked hard and felt suitably knacked at the end, so happy with that!!