Options

Race the Train

Comments

• Options
    Asteroid - not sure what the arrangement is re: team race entry for our club - would've thought the organisers just count the first finishers from each club and work it that way, rather than specific named team entry being required?

Agree with comments about going long in training for the endurance, I put in a 1h23 half back in May 2004 arrived at RTT thinking I had a shot of beating it. I'd not trained over 15 miles though, and that really showed as I fell apart completely in the second half of the race - I staggered home in 2h17 ish in the end.

With the jetstream staying further south this summer, there's little chance it'll be hot on race day this year (I'd be happy to be proven wrong as camping in the wet isn't fun!).
  • Options
    Last year we had a blistering run of weather just before and we were all worried about being cooked alive.................but on they day it was a total soaking we got instead.
  • Options
    RHB - thanks.

As far as I've worked it out (even corresponded with the new Race Director about it last year), every club member whose entry is in by 5 August is eligible to count as one of the first three home for the team. That's what we're relying on - and I wouldn't like to put money on who out of eight our first three will be - could be close but it won't include me! (unless there's a disaster).

I suppose a club with a lot of really fast people might decide to nominate A and B teams, to try for more than one team prize.

If you're still at 1:23 standard for the Half, you should be in with a chance of beating the train. I recall 2004 was pretty sweltering, which takes its toll on runners, but not, it seems, steam engines. I reckon the lower temperature last year more than compensated (just) for the worse going underfoot, but you really did need trail shoes or something else with good tread.
  • Options
    I gather that the ploughed field was a bit of a challenge at the top of the course.
  • Options
    Someone told me the farmer ploughed that field to the very edge on purpose so there wasn't a runable bit around the edge.

I ran in road shoes and I think fell 4 times, twice in 2 seconds on a gravelly path/track/road thing and cut my hands and knees and I have the scars to prove it.
  • Options
    I was lucky, managed to stay on my feet,but a few members of the club still bare the scars. Forgot about the ploughed field, at some points it was up to my knees. And just as I started the return there was an ambulance pulling up with all sirens blazing.

What a great race, cant wait.
  • Options
    Just entered, see you in August.

I predict blistering heat for this year's race.
  • Options
    Asteroid - I'm no-where near 1h23 half pace m'fraid. I'm nowhere near half distance either, so I've entered the earlier and shortr 10k race.

I'm just getting back sub 40 10k on road, so knowing what the second half of the race is like, - 45 mins is my target time.

As this is off early morning, then I shouldn't be affected if it's going to be a hot day.

Ploughed field sounds interesting if it's the same this year...

• Options
    The timing does seem to be geared to running the main race in the hottest part of the day. All part of the challenge! Who's got shares in Ambre Solaire, I wonder?
  • Options
    Wish I could be as optimistic as you about the weather. We live in hope, just wishing for a dry day to go to work in at the moment, forgotten what the sun looks like.
  • Options
    cheers Marshallini & blisters will have to try and catch the first one

dont let the rain lull you into a false sense of security, my money is on it being very hot.
  • Options
    Does any one know what the minimum age for the 10k race?
  • Options
    anyone had any race packs yet - still no reply from organisers despite about a dozen e mails.
  • Options
    Hi Phil, Nothing yet. And two of the boys have sent entries in for the 10k, and we've just found out that you have to be 18 to enter it,they are only 17. I've tried to get in touch with some one about it but still heard nothing about that either.Tried the phone number on this site but its for a charity not the race organizers.
  • Options
    pre race admin has got shocking on this now - used to be very good.

i'm sure the boys will be fine as the dates of birth are on the forms, so if they take their money they can race
  • Options
    Carrot Top you should easily beat the train! If I can do it, you surely can! (and Denis)
  • Options
    Hi there,

I entered online in May for the 10k and am yet to get my race pack / confirmation email. Has any one got a race pack yet for this event. I to have emailed the organisers however it would appear that the email address given is not working as the message bounces back to me and I am unable to find the organisers phone number on the website.

Any suggestion.

Cheers.
  • Options
    Hi devoncream, still haven't heard any thing either. they did say it would be sent out at the end of July.
    Still trying to find out if two young members of our club can run the 10k as they are only 17 and apparently have to be 18,but it didn't say an age limit on the entry form they sent off.
  • Options

If it is raining you really do need grippy trail shoes, so many people tried it in road shoes last year and were all over the shop. Dangerous in fact.
  • Options
    found a phone number in runners world today, phoned it and got through to cystic fybrosis office - their number has been printed by mistake! the've been alloctaed 10 free places as official charity, but even they haven't had any race packs, and also have no contact details.

getting a bit worried now, more for the family as they haven't had the train tickets yet, and that is the main point of them coming up to support.

shocking,shoddy admin
  • Options
    No info received yet, but cheque cashed 5 weeks ago.

Was unde rimpression, of a few bits of trail, one climb, and one stream to cross.

After reading this forum, ploughed/cut up mud thing, with all runners falling over..
    why didt you put that down before I entered, was planning on wearing my racing flats, if dry.

How many water stops? Anyone ran in fancy dress?
  • Options
    Phil,I phoned the number that was on this website and got through to Epilepsy Action, but that was just an answer phone. And that number has now been removed.

Lemsip, I wouldn't like to run in fancy dress, although if its wet you could come in looking like a mud wrestler. Wouldn't like to run in racing flats either, I ran in trail shoes that had a good grip last year and just managed to stay on my feet.

Alex, hows the family doing? are you doing this race?
  • Options
    A BoltonA Bolton ✭✭✭
    Anyone got anything yet...getting worried now. Booked to stay for 3 nights, bought train tickets and the cheque has been cashed ages ago.

All the email addresses keep failing on me and as with everyone else getting nowhere on the phone.
  • Options
    some joy this morning.

rang the train station and they gave me a number for the orgainsers.

01654 711208.

she said that the race packs with everything in were to be sent out by the company providing the chips, and were due to send end july/early august. so they should be on their way.

website has had problems apparantley.

if you need to check with them, give them a ring and they can scan for your name - but if your cheques been cashed then you're as good as in!
  • Options
    Well if i dont get my pack in a few days, Ill give them a call. I have also purchased a ticket for the train at the same time as paying online for the race, so i guess this will arrive at the same time as the race pack.

Phil thanks for posting the organisers number, I have been unable to find it any where.
  • Options
    Still waiting for my number too, there was a change in organiser last year (the person previously responsible had been doing it for years). Word of warning - assuming the race packs arrive with train tickets etc. make sure you go to the registration point to check that your ticket in the race pack is valid for the train. They weren't last year and when my OH tried to board the 1st train she was directed to registration only to find that only tickets for the 2nd train were left. This spoilt her day - no chance of spotting me on the course and there was nothing in the race pack advising that tickets needed to be exchanged for "official" ones.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advise, I will be making sure that the train tickets are valid. All sounds very strange :-)
  • Options
    Glad I am not the only one with a problem, although it doesn't look like my cheque has been cashed - complete shambles.

No accommodation booked as heard nothing and web site is dreadful.

Better to boycott this event.

• Options
    I take that back, just checked my back statement online, cheque was chased in June, still a shambles though as heard nothing.

Anyone know of any accomodation nearby, cheap B&B?
  • Options
    Hi Everyone ,

Had my pack through this morning with 3 1st Train Tickets as orderd.