Options

Race the Train

Comments

• Options
    Anyone know about parking have been booked to do photos for race this year and want to be able to get out for the races and to get back any ideas

www.mickhall-photos.com

oh don't forget to smile!
  • Options
    www.mickhall-photos.comnull
  • Options
    Have tried to e-mail the address on their web site but it came back as undeliverable. Guess if no one has received a race pack yet then this is a good sign? Have done all the training and just want to know I'll be running on the day with all the family on the train. Has any one received any information yet?
  • Options
    Number arrived this morning.

Be aware the train tickets aren't tickets but vouchers to be exchanged, although it does say that clearly this year.

(Apparently last year the train vouchers didn't work quite as they expected them to. Always best to tell people how you expect things to work i find.)
  • Options
    parking is in the railway stn car park over the bridge and TURN RIGHT overside to the race start
  • Options
    Remember the car parking is free. When you turn up they will try and charge you £5. The five quid is for a program if you want one. They got all upset last year when I said I didn't want one as every member of the family had already got one.

Re Race packs, My Nephew has had his kids run number, but if I remember rightly they were real late last year as well - My main race one hasn't come yet.
  • Options
    Got the race pack, doesnt actually say what the address is, I'll be using a Sat Nav from London, anyone know the exact address of the start? Postcode? or do I just head for Tywyn?
  • Options
    I'm in, got my number through today,Number 15.
    Dazza77 Try www.theaa.com for the route. when you get to Tywyn slow down or you'll miss it.Tywyn,Gwynedd.Dont know the post code
  • Options
    100!!

sorry, couldn't resist!

no pack for me yet, cheque cashed in mid june
  • Options
    mine arrived today, with train vouchers (not tickets)

don't worry folks still waiting, yours will arrive in plenty of time.
  • Options
    Print off a multimap plan of the train station area. It will have 4 of the roads in Twywyn.

Camping's better than B&B.

Unfortunately I'm clashed with another race so am missing this. Don't let the pre-race build up get you down, it has in previous years been an absolutely fantastic event. I agree, please do arrive early and register (even the day before). The rules are more like guidelines at this one.

But don't forget the post race beer tent/party. The prize list is historically generous.
  • Options
    pack arrived today - panic over!
  • Options
    Got my pack yesterday too - fingers crossed the Foot& Mouth problem doesn't get any worse. I ran this in 2001 during the last outbreak when they switched the race to road, unfortunately it was nowhere near the railway and lost it's meaning somewhat. That said though, it was the only time I've beaten the train..
  • Options
    PruePrue ✭✭✭
    Hi

Just wondered if anyone knew, normally how much longer is it likely to take more than your average 14/15 mile run?

I was just trying to work out how far at the back I'd be from previos results.

Thanks
  • Options
    Hi Prue, When we started training for Anglesey marathon this year, we started our Sunday runs at 16 miles for a few weeks and were doing them in 2:10/2:15, But this was on flattish ground, and not racing.Last year I done 1:51:59 for this race. Don't know if this is any use to you, what pace do you normally run, what are your race times?
  • Options
    Prue, I run 4 hour marathon, and have completed this twice in 2.15
  • Options
    Race no arrived.

Do we need tickets for the evening presentation? piss up, re-hydration session ??

forecast some rain this week, cant be as bad as last year....
  • Options
    I have a (female) friend who has a number for this race, but isn't going to be able to use it - anyone interested should call Karen on 01323 871736.

Sam.
  • Options
    Hi Lemsip

I've run this in three of the last four years but never been to the evening bash. I'm sure I read somewhere it's 'invitation only'. But this year I've persuaded some faster feet from my club to run, so I might even have a chance to applaud a mate getting a prize - if I'm allowed in.

So I too would be very glad to hear from anyone who knows more about the evening. (We can always find a pub ...)
  • Options
    Ooops.... my friend has found someone to take her place, so it isn't available any more. Apologies.

Sam.
  • Options
    Hi all, not long now :-/

Just back from a 10.5M run and did 12M last Tues. Lots of last min training to cover distances further than 6-8M as that is all I have done in the last 3 months :-/

Did a 48.5 mile week last week, after a few just over 20M so I'm more likely to be k*******d then anything else ;-)

I'm hoping for 2:30 but don't think 2:15 is out of reach. Not decided on how to run this yet. I could either just set out at a comfy pace and see how I get on (may struggle with last few miles) or I could run with Prue (which would be a little slower than my usual pace) BUT it will be more enjoyable to have company and I may need her to keep me going during those last few miles!?!?! Decisions!!
  • Options
    Hey up Caz you doing this as well? Will be good to see you there.

I've hardly run in the since May due to injury, but am now back up to 5 miles, so will be stretching myself some what. A slow time for me I think.

Could be fun LOL
  • Options
    Postcode for Talyllyn Railway, Wharf Station, is LL36 9EY, for anyone looking it up on MultiMap, Streetmap, etc.

The largest scale map on Streetmap seems to mix up the Talyllyn station with the Cambrian Coast ('BR') one, but with only the supermarket and its car park between the two stations no one could really miss the start.
  • Options
    15 mile training runs over the past 4 sundays and now got it to 1hr.59m 06s so this year i intend to beat my 2hr.16.35s record to beat the train as i want the certificate this year :-)
  • Options
    Hi HTA - will be nice to see you again, been a while ... Rough and Tumble was it?

Can anyone confirm if this one is a medal?

Orogionally didn't think it was but then a mate said there is a stonker of one and I'll love it. Don't want to build my hopes up if there is not (bit of a collector you see :-))
  • Options
    I quote:

'RACE the TRAIN Medal and “Goody Bag” for all those who complete the course are awarded at the finish.'

Seem to remember rather nice ones in previous years.

How do you store or display your medals, Caz?
  • Options
    Well Asteroid, seeing as you ask ......

..... they used to be hanging in bunches according to distance on the key hooks by my front door. However, have just had house redecorated and now(I know this sounds sad and tacky but it's actually not) I have the ones with a red ribbon hanging on a rail above the sofa in my back living room (because it's a kind of red wine colour on the feature wall), those on a green, blue or white ribbon hanging above the drawers in my bedroom on a rail, and my favourite medals, and all marathon medals hanging on a rail on the long wall above the stairs for all to see with my favourite mara photo ;-) Others are still in a drawer but my front room is now yellow so those yellow and black ribboned medals will have a home once I erect a rail!

Well, you did ask ;-)

.... and as for my 3 trophies ...... ;-)

I have just killed this thread I'm sensing.

This medal could well join my 'favourites' rail :-)

How about you Asteroid? Or are you of the opinion that anyone who displays their medals so openly is sad and self obsessed?

• Options
    He who asks ...!

My collection is modest but slowly growing. Currently festooned on the Ladderax in my study, but I now have an album and need to sort them into some sort of order.

The chunky bronze marathon ones are great, but the prettiest one has to be Lake Vyrnwy.

Some gold or silver would be nice, but ...

Trophies - I say!
  • Options
    Ah yes, I have a couple of Lake V - very nice :-)

Trophies - :-) very proud! 1st female and a 2nd female both 10k's even though neither race was even within 5mins of my p.b. Can't brag they are well deserved, just choose the field carefully ;-) Have a few bottles of wine from Round the Lakes team prizes too ... and I chose white so they still exist ... the tales get sadder don't they!!

Looking forward to this one especially now I have the inspiration of a chunk of metal to get me over the line!

Do many people stick around for the beer etc after? Am staying til the Tues with kids, camping nearby and am sure I read something about procedings continuing until 10:30 :-)
  • Options
    i will be putting kids to bed, then drinking myself silly at the campsite!