Options

Mums Running Club

Comments

• Options

PP The company is a large manufacturer of pumps.  I shan't say their name out loud in case they are trawling the net.....you never know who is watcing image

I haven't even been for a walk yet, never mind use the bike/trailer.  When I had H, we had a forceps delivery including the inevitable forceps.  I got an infection and my stiches all broke down 2 days post delivery.  Nearly 4 weeks in and the infection is only just starting to subside, and I have been left with a still open episiotomy image (sorry if thats TMI)

They are giving it another week to see how it heals and then maybe take me back in for a repair under a GA.  I can't tell you how much pain I have been in, and unable to sit down properly for 2 weeks after having him.  I ended up getting a Valley cushion which was great.

All the antiboitics meant we got thrush too which has just added insult to injury.

• Options

((Farnie)) - that sounds really crappy, hope the pain subsides on its own and you heal quickly.

Have peacefully sleeping baby now, so really should be taking advantage and working!!  image

• Options

Farnie that sounds absolutely hideous.

We get wees on the potty everyday now, and a poo this morning, so come Monday the nappies are going......bring it on!  But it's definitely because she's ready, and I guess they all rerach that stage at a different point.

Off to Glasgow soon for my 10 yr uni reunion.  Hubby has already left for my dad's with M.

Have good wk ends all.

• Options

Oh Farnie, that does sound grim, poor you. image I consider myself so lucky that I healed remarkably quickly - also had an assisted delivery and a nice two cut episiotomy with some tearing, but it was fine after about 2 weeks once the stitches came out. I can sort of imagine the pain - I remember being so grateful to the registrar in the hospital for giving me Voltarol!!!

RB - thank you for sharing LB's experiences with the potty. Maybe we did give up a bit soon after only one day of wet pants! Going to give it another try when Ben's back - don't think I could do it on my own!

TT - know what you mean about coping full time. There is no way I could do it - I need to work and have time away from JP to truly appreciate him. I thought I was going to go bonkers by the end of my mat leave!! Boo to the negative test too - I must have skimread over the bit when you said you were trying again! How exciting! I'm due to start back on the Clomid soon, once I've taken another cycle of Norethisterone to kickstart AF. I just have to rule out pregnancy first (as if, but still need to check!) and then I take it for 10 days. Once I stop it, AF usually happens within about 3 days and then I start the Clomid on Day 2 of my 'cycle'. It's all very precise - I have to write all my dates down or I get it wrong! If we get lucky on the first time, I could *potentially* conceive at the end of Nov. Finding out in mid Dec would be a great early Xmas pressie...

caro - have a great weekend away, sounds like fun!

Ben is now on the home stretch. He landed in Jeddah about an hour ago and is there until Tuesday morning. He is such a jammy g*t - he got to fly first class from Doha to Jeddah and had access to the first class lounge - OMG, you've never seen anything like it. I was very jealous over Skype!

Right, going to finally finish this flaming marking and then I can enjoy my weekend! image

• Options

TB - we had at least a week of poo in pants and I was getting really down about it. Just as I was considering putting Leila back in nappies, she just got it. I don't think she knew which muscles to use to stop the poo coming as she would say she needed a poo as she was doing it. image  She is now dry and clean and has been for 2-3 weeks so persevere and try not to go back to nappies other than bed and nap times is the main bit of info I gleaned from other parents and books. I also think I read that girls are ready a lot sooner than boys to be potty trained and it isn't like he is going to be going to school in nappies is it!?

TB - fingers crossed for the clomid. Really hope you get good news before christmas.

Farnie - ouch. I didn't have an episiotomy but tore a little and I think I thought I would never feel the same "down there" again. Hope it feels better soon.

Lovely morning here, went to Savill Gardens and ran about in the woods in the leaves. Only spoilt a little by Leila treading in a dog poo, which ended up over one leg of her trousers. I HATE irresponsible dog owners, especially leaving their dog cr*p where children are running about.

Hubby really poorly again today. Came home after lunch looking terrible and went to bed. He had his MRI scan today so hopefully will be a step closer to finding out what's wrong.

On a positive note, I booked my Dad a glider lesson down in Surrey for his birthday, and have decided to have a lesson myself! Eek.

• Options

Farnie - that sounds awful. Hope it all gets mended soon one way or the other.

Caro - have a great weekend. I am jealous. Think I need a alcohol fuelled blow out with friends! Must plan one soon!

TB - get on with that markingimage 

RB - I did a race report but it is rather long winded. Still since you asked I will post it! Hadn't wanted to bore everyone - I mean do you think this is a running thread or something!

Abo race report

Arrived in Oxford to a thick ground frost and temperature of -1C. Car park was a mile from the start so this gave us a good (but very cold) walk to the start along the last mile of the race route. Had time for a toilet and change and then the race was started at 9am prompt.

Was glad to get underway. Feet were numb and took a while to defrost with a few sore bit on the balls of feet while they did so. This settled down a couple of miles in. Was pleased that legs felt pretty fresh and tried to relax and settle into a good rhythm. After 3 miles my comfortable pace was too fast (around 7.00) so tried to slow it down a bit. Plan was to try to stick around 7.20 for the entire race.

The course was very flat with a bit of crowd support along the way and just the right number of runners I felt. Weather conditions once we were on the move were perfect. I had been worried about my stomach since it had been upset the day before (and hubby had spent Friday spewing) but other than a few cramps across the top of stomach it didn’t seem to be affecting me. Went through halfway in about 1.34 which worried me as I knew that was a bit fast. Had a bit of a coughing fit somewhere around here and had to slam the brakes on for a few seconds (on that narrow path/track) until it passed.

I took gels at miles 5, 10, 15 and 20. Had sips of water and about 200ml of lucozade the second time around.Felt comfortable until the 20 mile point where I was aware of knees being sore and that I was getting a blister on my left foot just around the base of big toe. I was overtaken by a blond lady in a green vest around here. The first woman runner I had seen since the start. She went in front but stayed in my sights. I started to have to dig a bit deeper. By 23 miles I knew the pace was really drifting. I felt strong in my head and didn’t feel I was lacking in energy but my quads were agony and every step hurt. It was like running on lumps of wood. Mile 25 was hardest. I just wanted it to be over. I couldn’t even face looking at my watch by this point and really had no idea how close to 3.15 I was.

• Options

cont.

Turning into the park was such a relief and I was getting very frustrated with my inability to make my legs go faster! Hit the track and just went for it determined to catch the green vest lady who was about 100m in front – which I did. Delighted to see 3.15 on the clock as I crossed the line. Gun time 3.15.36, chip time 3.15.31. Wildest dreams happy time would have been 3.14, very happy with 3.16 and 3.18 was the least I was willing to settle for!

Mile splits:

2.24  (6.50pace)

Post race analysis. The 31 secs aren’t annoying me as much as I might have thought! However I am a bit annoyed I didn’t have the confidence to stick to my plan of 7.20s and instead let myself go off too fast. Not sure the final outcome would have been much different but perhaps I would have had a more comfortable last 4 miles. Disappointed that my quads felt so shattered. This happened last marathon (albeit it earlier in the race) and I thought I had worked on improving my leg endurance although realistically probably just not a big enough time frame from Lochaber in April to this race.

Average mileage in the 12 weeks pre taper was 50.1 (peak 62) as opposed to 43.5m for Lochaber.I have been running 5/6 times a week instead of 4/5. I thought the 23 and 24 mile training runs would have made more of a difference. I think my biggest downfall has been a lack of MP miles. I have been doing weekly track sessions at a faster pace but have neglected the MP runs as I didn’t always feel my body could cope with two hard sessions in a week. 7.20 didn’t feel a comfortable pace for me during the race.

• Options

TB - image - you didn't miss anything with your skim reading.  We are not actively 'trying' again due to really wanting to have medical insurance in place before we have another but (like PP!) had a (rare!) night of passion which I secretly hoped might come to something.  I would have thought nothing of it if I wasn't so late.

If you have an iphone, there are a few apps you can get for monitoring your cycles, bumping uglies etc - I would never remember my dates otherwise.

(((Anj))) - sorry your husband is still so poorly.  Hope the MRI helps them to diagnose something easily curable.  Really feel for you all going through this for so long.  Gulp to the glider lesson!!  I did an air experience flight when I was 18 - with the winch launch - loved it but swore a lot on take off!  Not sure I would have the bottle now...

• Options

RB - fingers crossed lttle B has clicked then. Sounds like it. Cameron is on day 3 of big boy pants and doing well. No wee accidents today so far but he did have a poo one while I was at work and my mum was babysitting! He is asleep in the car at the moment with no nappy... Lewis has graduated into pull ups but he really isn't ready yet. He want to do it and stiit on the potty and then gets up and claps himself - but there is nothing there, bless him.

Anj - you are brave. Heights aren't my favourite thing although I did do a tandem bungy jump in NZ with hubby many years ago!

Better get on with things. Got to bake fairy cakes for the halloween party tonight, make tea, feed kids be at pilates for 6pm. Then back home at 7pm and rush to the party which we will  be slighty late for but hey ho - am not giving up my pilates since I have already paid for it!

• Options
    ChynahChynah ✭✭✭

Ouch Farnie!  and Ouch Tatty too! Makes me ever so thankful for my csections!

Am dreading potty training but think we may try in summer if Nate seems ready.  Would be helpful if his speech inproves though so he can tell me he needs to go - he is a little behind in that department which is a bit worrying.

• Options

TB- you certainly aren't the only owner of a 3yr old not yet potty trained. Tom showed no interest at all until he was nearly 3 and I found it much easier than Archie's  demands to wee every 2 minutes (or sitting without any wee then puddles).Hope you get your marking finished- I think my eyes would go squiffy after reading the same stuff over and over.

Lotte- fab pacing, I can see your point about going too quick at the start but other than a little slowing down I think it looks very consistant? Good luck with the baking.

Farnie- hope you feel better soon- although repeat surgery sounds grim it is probably better to get it sorted once and for all rather than risk ongoing problems if it hasn't healed

TT- naughty naughty!!!!! Be careful what you wish for - could be too early to show on a test?  

Archie's birthday today he had a wooden sandwich kit and a wooden veg set which he loves and a hand puppet set and a fisher price till. All 'learning' type stuff and nothing with batteries -yiipppppeeeee

Tom was a bit annoyed he didn't get any presents but once he realised Archie was willing to share in return for a jammy dodger peace was restored... 

• Options

Grr sat here in my running kit and the heavens have just opened. I don't mind it raining once I am out, but find it really hard to make myself go out in the pouring rain. I had a park run in mind tomorrow am too. But it is in a Country Park and liable to be incredibly muddy with all this rain! I have also just put a homemade apple pie in the oven, so it is looking likely that I will change from my running kit to my dressing gown image

Happy Birthday Archie!!

TT - could be!???

Lotte - not read your race report properly but will do later! Still v v impressed with your time.

Chynah, I read that boys are slower in the speech dept too, but maybe speak to health visitor or nursery if you're worried.

• Options
    Ooooh!  When I got pregnant with Max I tested on the day AF was due and it was positive.  Hadn't even considered that the test might not be correct.....image  Might have to nip out to Boots tomorrow!
  • Options

Ooh, good luck, TT!!

((Anjelicals)) Hope hubby feels better soon and you get some answers from the MRI.

Anjelicals - Running kit to dressing gown sounds like a good plan in my book! I was really glad I went for my run this morning before the wind got too bad - it was blowing a hoolie before. image JP was getting quite cross with the wind on our walk home from nursery, shouting at it to go away and leave him alone!

Lotte - wow, those splits are awesome, I really admire anyone who can do miles starting with 7. image All things considered, your pace didn't drop off that badly by the end. Good job Cameron on the poo accident for Granny - that was well timed!

Happy Birthday to Archie! image Those toys sound lovely. JP was given some wooden toys for his birthday and he's played with them more than anything else.

Chynah - I would second Anjelicals, have a chat with your HV if you're worried about Nate's speech. Although he has come on a lot, JP's speech is still far from perfect - there are a lot of sounds he has trouble with and there are times when he isn't great in terms of his comprehension either. With him, a lot of it depends on whether he wants to listen or not - he is just like his father in that respect! I'm not too worried though - Ben didn't speak hardly at all until he was 3, and only nonsense until he went to school!

Marking is now done, hoo bl**dy ray. Now to a spooky weekend! image

• Options
    ChynahChynah ✭✭✭
    Thanks TB & Anjelicals but he already sees a speach therapist for his eating prolems and I have mentioned it to her.  Shes not worried at the moment as his development in other areas is fine or wayabove (motor skills) and his comprehension is really good.  I just find it had when his friends are talking and he's still  at the 'byebye' stage.
  • Options
    ((Chynah)) It is hard, and I know you shouldn't compare to other kids, but it's only natural to do so. I constantly find myself assessing how JP measures up against his peers and feel quite sad when their speech makes so much more sense! I try not to beat myself up about it though - easier said than done. Big hugs x
  • Options

Chynah- it is hard to go with the flow when you are concerned but remember most Mums only bragg about the good stuff so you can't compare like with like & If the speech therapist was worried she'd have said so!

I think we should have a list of things we or our offspring can't do.... 

I'll start- I can NOT make pastry (will list more when hubby not pushing me off computer). 

((Angelicals)) hope you got a run or some pie (or both)... 

• Options

I can't swim. I have tried several times but just end up a nervous wet wreck.

I also can't tie my shoelaces the proper way that people do by making one loop and then wrapping the other lace around it. I do a double bow instead!

I am really bad at computer games - in fact, anything that involves any degree of hand/eye co-ordination. I really struggle with any motor skills and it takes me AGES to learn new movements. Like driving - it took me seven attempts to pass my test! When I was in school and I did the reasoning tests, my scores in the verbal and numerical bits were very high indeed, but on the non-verbal reasoning, I think I came out a bit 'special'!!

Oooh, that felt quite cathartic.image

• Options

That's a great race report Lotte. I must admit I'm surprised that you got the "wooden quads" syndrome again. What with the hills, the long runs and the speed sessions that you do. As you say, maybe need to give it more time. I take your point about avoiding injury but for the next one (!) I would consider doing a hilly mid-week run of between 12 and 15 miles starting at long run pace and speeding up progressively from half-way to marathon pace or faster by the end. Start out by only doing the last mile at MP, then gradually increase the length of the MP section but always do it at the end of the run. I think you do need to give your legs a bit of a battering every week to protect against the "wooden quads" syndrome.

Anjelicals Hope you get to the bottom of hubbie's illness soon. Did you do the parkrun?

Speech problems - interesting to hear the experiences. LB has trouble with lots of consonants but we have been working on b and p, and now we are working on c/k. Very frustrating but he is much happier when people understand him so he is motivated to work on it. Like CC our HVs weren't interested. He has got a combination of poor speech but amazing language development - which means it is really hard sometime to work out what he says. he comes out with things like "After breakfast, I thought we might go into the sitting room and put some music on. Not the bopping bunnies one, the nursery rhymes one".

Another dry day at nursery yesterday - they couldn't believe it (and neither could I, after our experiences at the start of the week).

• Options

I dream of doing miles splits that start with a 7...

*looks whistful out of window*

re the speech thing, does he get frustrated at it or not? If not then I wouldn't be bothered, but if it was making him cross that he was unable to make himself understood then maybe I wold push it with the powers that be.  I found baby sign really useful in the starting to talk stages as mini F no1 got quite cross with my lack of understanding of his points and demands.  Thinking about it, he was never cross with himself, just with me.  He reminds me of Stewie off family guy LOL

We also never bothered with potty training until he wsa quite old.  Way over 3. Much to the mockery of some very ungleful 'friends' who liked to remind me that their kids had been dry since....blah blah blah...TBH I couldn't be arsed with the wet pants and carrying around a bliddy potty etc.  Most of my good friends have 3 and 4children and it always seemed to be the way that the youngest ones almost potty trained themselves. The fact they were normally left to do it when they were ready.

It worked so well we only used a potty for 2 days and then we were weeing on the big loo,

There are some bight coloured ping pong ball type things you can get for boys to aim at too, which made it a bit more fun.

I will try and find them

• Options
    Good grief i thought i only missed a coupla days but there's tons to get thru!
    RB I know lucas is going to be found to be bad but that is part of the attraction. Tried to download wallpaper but cant get it to work! Gawd am truly obsessed.
    Welcome JR unsurprisingly im in edinburgh with a 3 yr old, louise.
    Struggling with phone keyboard still!
    PP hope u r ok. And is it Tt who is testing?? Fingers crossed. We got questionnaire from hosp today then they say 12 wk wait from day returned.
    Lotte fab racing. I too dream of splits starting with7 so well impressed.
    Supposed to do race tom but no race info received so binning it. Gotta go cross eyed
  • Options
    ChynahChynah ✭✭✭

Its reassuring to hear others have had similar re the speech - it's just a shame as he gets so frustrated when I don't uderstand him.

Love the idea of the balls Farnie!

• Options

I think the balls look great but am a bit concerned Archie would try and play with them image. Tom could really do with something to improve his aim as he rarely lifts the seat and then aims too high aswell.....

Hectic day carving pumpkins, splitting argueing kids, changing stinky bums, smoothing family stuff etc etc. 

• Options

Well ladies, I am now 5 days overdue.  Just done another test and it is negative.  Although my cycle has been lengthening a little since it started again, it has been pretty reliable at 25/26 days (I have accurate dates as I use a neat little app on my iphone!).  It's like waiting for a bus, come on AF, get on with it!!

Nuts, just seen the time.  I knew I was up early but I had forgotten about the clock change - 5am, ugh!  OK, should take advantage and do some work while Max is still asleep!  We have my MIL and FIL coming today for a few days so I am hoping can do some work then while Grandma is looking after him.

• Options

Hmm, Farnie, not sure about the name of the little floating ball device..........image  Could get complicated in our house!

• Options
    image I'm sure you could think of a new name for him. Mr Hanky maybe?
  • Options

Hi All, Remember me???

Just popping in to say hello and hope everyone is well. I'm hoping to start running again this week after a long layoff with all manner of post pregnancy niggles, mainly down to hypermobility meaning my joints are still doing weird things. image. I ran a little bit after Sophie was born but had to stop again. She's 8 months old next week, so I'm going for a short run this pm, and will see how it goes.

Noticed you seem to be on UK time, Turbo Tid - back over here are you? Gosh, no doubt lots to catch up on.