Options

Mums Running Club

Comments

• Options
    CC - I knew there were other night wanderers on here - the mass of experience definitely helps as most of us have covered most things at one point or another! Don't think I can do anything about it, we chain and bolt the front door so at least she can't actually escape!!
    I don't think its sleep walking though, just waking up and having a nose around the house!!

Teeth - I took mine a little while ago, the dentist we saw was slightly extreme in my opinion, she advised not giving fruit as snacks! Not ideal as I have two fruit bats! She suggested breadsticks, rice cakes and cheese. I do all those anyway but if they ask for fruit I give it.
    I never knew about sugar in crisps - checked the pack of Pringles in the kitchen and its on the ingredient list! We also don't buy crisps as a rule but mine get too much sweet stuff - those sultana fingerellas, currant buns, homemade biscuits and cake. Saying that the dentist didn't say there was anything wrong with their teeth. We only ever really have juice if we are in a cafe or at someone else's house, although that does happen moderately frequently.
    I also don't drink fizzy soft drinks much so we don't have those in the house, but Irn Bru in a bottle???!!!
  • Options

but rice cakes and breadsticks are also carbs which are turned into sugar by the enzymes in saliva. and rice cakes stick in your teeth. so although better, they are still not perfect. E won't eat lumps of cheese. she would however eat rice cakes and peanut butter all day long (strange child).

have majorly p155ed off a guy at work today and i'm not even working today!! i have recently become his line manager, and he lives 10 miles away from me and submitted some expenses for me to approve for a trip to birmingham. now, birmingham is my contractual location (ie my nearest office) therefore according to HMRC rules, i can't claim for travel to it. which is mad as it is 102 miles away and thanks to the m42 takes me a good 2.5 hours to get to. but rules is rules and i can't claim for travel to birmingham.

soooooo - there i am thinking - he lives near me, so his contractual location must also be birmingham. which it is. so i reject his claim and tell him that he can't claim for travel to his contractual location. this is news to him. apparently. he has been doing it for 5 years!!! image once or twice a week. so eventually we decide that, since he doesn't go to reading very often at all and reading is only 2 miles further from his home than birmingham, we will change his contractual location to reading. so now he can't claim to travel to reading. but can claim to travel to birmingham. as of weds of this week - when i made the change.

and now today he says - when can i send you back the claim for the trip to birmingham that i did on tuesday to approve? errrrmmmm... YOU CAN'T!! you did the trip when brum was your contractual location. therefore i cannot approve it. sorry mate.

he has gone ballistic at me.

he is ranting at the wrong person. when i was 33 weeks pregnant with J, i was given an assigment in birmingham. this meant that i had to travel to brum every day of the week. i could neither claim travel nor expenses to stay overnight. a 5-hr round trip in the car, every day, at my own cost and in my own time. or else i pay out of my own money to stay overnight in a hotel... so i drove. every day. 5 hours. and did an 8 hour day minimum on top of that. 33 - 37 weeks pregnant. and the company wouldn't approve any change to this because of me being hugely pregnant.

so mr chancer - you have got away with it for 5 years. you aren't getting away with it now. and i'm NOT approving your 44quid's worth of fuel expenses i'm afraid.

right - rant over. happy friday night's all!

• Options

Blimey, knew it had been about a week since I'd been on but looks like it's been a super busy week on here ...

Sonya - boo to morning sickness! I've been so lucky never to have had any bad sickness in pregnancy, most I've had was feeling sick if I didn't eat and seeing as I ate almost constantly throughout all my pregnancies that didn't end up bothering me too much. Do you think this maybe means it'll be a boy this time as you're getting different pregnancy symptoms this time?

JT - that's so wierd about the metal in the watch affecting you in that way.

JohBo - well done to J with the walking, time to put everything up on higher shelves now! Having said that Anna is a big climber too so even when we try and put things up out of reach we need to be careful that there are no chairs or big toys or she'll be climbing on them. She fell off Issie's little chair again this evening - didn't hurt herself though luckily but don't think it's going to stop her climbing antics.

PP - don't blame you at all for the rant, I would have done exactly the same thing. If she was that concerned about her stupid bloody car maybe she should have moved it instead of watching you struggle to get your shopping and toddler in the car!

Mine all have perfect healthy teeth so far although to be honest dentist actually hasn't been able to look inside Issie's mouth properly as she simply refuses to get in the chair or open wide - ggrrr. She'll do it for us at home and last time we left the dentist as soon as we got outside she opened wide but she just won't do it for our dentist - stubborn little madam!

So last time I was on think I said we'd just decided to move house, well in the space of a week I've managed to do a complete 180 and we've decided to stay put. Basically after looking into the house prices round here realised just can't justify the extra cost for what is really just one extra room, so instead am going to remodel the downstairs and make our through lounge / diner back into 2 rooms and add a conservatory on the back of the kitchen to use as a dining room. Reckon it'll cost about half as much as moving and tbh that's about as much as we can afford right now.

Right, wine o'clock here and vampire movie on telly that needs my attention. Hope everyone has good weekend. Vixo / PP - looking forward to hearing news of your imminent arrivals. TB - good luck with the race this weekend (it is TB doing the half isn't it?). And hello to everyone else I've missed.

• Options

Yeah good luck to PP and Vixo, hope you don't have too long a wait and it all goes well.

CM - must be really thick, how do I find you on FB? Typed in your e mail into the search box but it just said 'no match'. If I ever do get on I am M***** M********-F******.

Oh JT thats weird about the watch but very interesting. My sore hip is on the side i wear my watch, hmmmmm.

CM - that guy from your work sounds a right plonker.

Teeth- all fine here so far. They get water/milk in day and apple juice in morning and only get juice if out somewhere which isn't very often. Crisps and choc about once a week. I think everything in moderation is the key. My sis didn't let my neice have anything like that and now she's 13 when she gets thge chance she eats loads if she's at a party etc. I used to have to hold my oldest down to do her teeth when she was younger, felt cruel but was in her best interests i decided!!

8 mile run this morning, longest since start of pregnancy so quite pleased  although very very slow and my hip is niggling again. I really need to start increasing my mileage for my October marathon.

TT - yeah us scots are pretty good at sweary rants, he he!!

Jo - yay to the walking but you never get to sit down in peace now! Good your feeling well now.

Sonya - yuk to feeling horrible, I remember it well. Felt awful all 3 pregnancies, worst the 3rd time, almost the whole pregnancy. Hope you start to feel better soon.

Yeah Lotte- was great 'bagging' a munro! Want to do ben nevis in fort william now!  Well done to your sporty kids, you should be very proud, you have every right to be.

Canna remember what everyone has said! Betta go as hubby sorting dinner and giving me the evil eye and madam asleep in her buggy so better wake her up.

Good weekends everyone.

• Options
    you should be able to just search on my email address. did you try my name also?
  • Options

My Garmin fell apart this morningimage, it was sitting squint on my wrist and I went to straighten it up and the whole front came offimage. It still working but held together with sellotape. Can't decide whether to contact Garmin and see how much/how long it would take to get it fixed or just superglue it. Superglue idea is winning just now as doesn't involve being without my garmin. That would be like sending my arm away to get fixedimage, I am every so slightly attached to my garmin.

TT ;0)

• Options

Altho quite liking this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Forerunner-Enabled-Unisex-Sports/dp/B003EG83LK/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1307817928&sr=1-3, not that I have £100 to spare right now but the superglue will hold for a while yet.

TT ;0)

• Options
    I got a brand new one but then I took mine back to the shop as had only used it 3 times!
  • Options

Sure I've read that too, but mine is ancient so not  sure if that would still apply. Think mine is about 6 or 7 years old.

Will look into it tho!

TT ;0)

• Options
    Don't superglue it TT!! I did that when my front fell off-it destroyed it and I just had to chuck it. Deffo send it back to Garmin...unless you feel like an upgrade image
  • Options

I'm BACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Went to bed with paracetamol, brufen and decongestant and a dollop of eucalyptus oil on the pillow (enough to make my eyes water) but this morning I actually feel human again -Thank God !!!!!!!!!!!!

I was beginning to think it was glandular fever or something worse although a few chaps did suggest maybe I was the first female to catch man flu....

Anyhoo- tried to read a bit everyday but it went in and out,

dentists- last time I proudly boasted that my 2 had never had sweets and he said a few wouldn't hurt! I agree with you CM even 'healthy snacks' have their own risks so I guess really we should be aiming for breakfast, lunch and tea with nothing in between. We have a ban on choc and sweets but I use cereal bars which are just as bad but I can 'kid myself' I am being a good mummy.

night wandering- scary- my niece often goes for a little jaunt and a chat to herself and even got out of the top bunk here without remembering (I've banned her from sleeping in there now!). You can only make the landing safe and boring and hope it passes.

Garmin- my arm would feel totally naked if I ran without mine, I also heard they were good at replacing/fixing though so good luck.

Sweary rants- hmmmm I'm not so brave, I would LOVE to but usually find myself apologising and taking the blame, then I feel sooooo angry after. Good for you!!!!!!!!!

Mileage/ expenses-CM we have a similar rule where you obv can't claim the distance you usually travel to base each day but I know people swing all sorts of scams like if they go same distance in the opposite direction they shouldn't claim but they do.  My colleagues even wangled a base in places closer to their home addresses so they claim more of what should be normal commute to their 'real' office. It really p**'s me off as a girl working 2 days claims 3 times as much as me on 3 days! Then the boss says no to my study leave requests as 'we have to be mindful of expenses !!????

Am a bit cross (well more than a bit actually) I phoned my Mum yesterday morning to ask if she could come over and help with the boys because I was so ill but she said she was busy doing a charity stall, found out last night that because it was raining she didn't actually set up the stall at all and was free all day. Can't believe when I am struggling so much and Archie has had the catheter for nearly 6 wks, she' s only seen him once and that was to show him off to her sister-in-law. She lives 5 miles away but always has an excuse. gggrrrrrrrrrrr.

Good luck to those running (TB hope it was yesterday and not in this rain??). Lotte have you decided to go for the games yet? I have enterred another tri in July so need to get back to fitness !!!  

• Options

Camlo- I'd be p!$$ed off with mum too!

Have emailed garmin to find out about repair, their website doesn't give you any info about repair in the UK but I know they do it. 

Meant to ask the other day -how people got their RW names, a lot are self explanatory but some not?

I got mine because when I 1st started using home computer about 13 years ago, the computer was set up in the toy room and the book shelf was next to it. So when I had to pick a username on something I just grabbed a book off the shelf and looked in it for ideas. Book I picked was 'Molly's hair' and Molly has tangly wangly tangerine twirly red hair, so tangerinetwirly it was. I have dark brown straight hair which probably surprises people as they probably assume from my name and the fact I am Scottish that I have red curly hair like Molly.

TT ;0)

• Options

My Mum is very like that Camlo. I usually have to beg to get help from her and then I get looks etc. She loves seeing the kids and is great with them, but its all under her terms and not ours. If she does manage to sell up and move over here I'm not sure I'd get that much benefit, certainly not the day a week of childcare I'd like to if I want to go back to work. Glad you are feeling better though, sounds like a monster virus

Race yesterday was good. Managed 31.48 and was 2nd, but go nothing at all in the prize giving. Was rather peeved if am honest and have posted so on the ratings for the race. Club also won the team but they don't do team prizes either image . Not doing that one again, will do the 5 mile attached to the fun run the boys did this morning. Hubbie is there now, in fact probably just finished.

This morning has proven what can be achieved when you have kids. I got up at 7am and ran 16.5 miles en route to race. Met hubbie and kids there, got kids entered. I ran around with them, 0.5 miles but tbh they would have been fine by themselves. They did brilliantly as there were quite a few older than them, both loved it even though it was pouring with rain and I mean pouring. We came home then as all soaking wet. Hubbie raced at 11am and is running the 5 miles home too to make up his long run. Busy day and we've all ran and its not even lunchtime!!

I am still cold mind, going to make a cuppa I think. Only just had brekkie too as boys wanted my cereal bar hubbie had taken for me image. So after 16.5 miles I had a banana and finally 2 hours later got my brekkie!!!image

Still pouring too, and looks like its in for the day, so packing I think for hols this afternoon. At least the boys have had some sir and exercise!! God I hope it doesn't do this on the Isle of Wight image...

• Options

MM and CC - well done on the early starts today and getting so much done by lunchtime. Wish I could do that at the weekend but after getting up at 6am every morning for work Monday to Friday I like to make the most of every extra minute I can stay in bed on the weekend and today we didn't get up until about 8.45am. Anna was up at 5.30 but I just gave her a small bottle and put her straight back in the cot, she chattered away for a bit and then went back to sleep until 8.30image!

My mum is also very much a seeing the kids on her terms person too. She lives about an hours drive from us and despite it being easier for her to come to us (she lives alone so there's only her to get over here) I'm sure she'd be happy if we always struggled over there with all 3 kids and she never had to come here again. Don't think I've seen her for about 5 or 6 weeks now - she was supposed to come over today but her excuse for not coming was she had loads of washing to do after coming back from holiday. Seriously though, she came back on Tuesday and she is so not the type of woman who could bear to have a mountain of dirty washing in the house so clearly it's a rubbish excuse just because she can't be arsed to come over. On the other hand my dad is fab, drives or gets the train down almost every Saturday (2 hr journey plus each way) and can't do enough to help out with the girls - he's my number one babysitter and I love him to bits!

Runnin free - if you're still having problems finding us on FB just type Runners World Running Mums! into the search box at top of the screen. Think there's then an option to request to join the group and then once JT approves you you'll be able to see us all by just clicking on the Groups button.

7.5 miles done in the rain today - lovely! Perfect running weather in my book, rain not too heavy, not too windy, and nice and cool.

Right off for a shower and then to make biscuits with the girls.

• Options

Wow- lots of running despite the rain. Can't wait to hear from TB!

I was feeling so much better that I drove over to my sis and let my niece pull off another 2 toe nails (much to everyone else's disgust- but there was nothing underneath so better off than on???).

Now back home and starting bedtime routine but I am feeling really sick and headache has returned...... image

• Options

oh camlo (()). i understand re: your mum. my parents are still absenting themselves. my dad did send a text on friday to ask if i had got any olympics tickets as i had applied for all of us. i texted back to say that i thought i only had football in cardiff and he texted back ok. so at least he did initiate contact, i suppose. but they haven't asked how things are or anything.

another day messed about by T today. we had a bday party at 2pm today so i said if he wanted to meet us, it would have to be in the morning. he agreed that would be fine. and then he organised a roofer to come and look at his roof. 'sometime in the morning' on sunday. i was hopping mad. this was after we had promised the kids to take them swimming. as a consequence, we didn't make it to the pool till 11.30 and didn't get out until 12.20. then i needed to get the kids home, give them lunch, give E a nap and get to the party for 2pm. doesn't compute, does it? as a consequence, E only got a 20 min nap and we were still 10 mins late for the party... and as a result of such a short nap, she was clingy for the first hour of the party until she came round. really not impressed. once again, his agenda - sod everyone else, basically.

• Options

Proud Mummy moment. Joshua was first U5 and Harry 2nd U5, although actually Harry crossed the line first, but we won't argue the point. I have told them they were both first!! image

CM I would have texted him to say I am going swimming now at 10.30 because E needs a sleep before the party and sod him, but thats just me and you are too nice!!

• Options
    Look after yourself Camlo. Get thee to bed image. I'm not far off myself after running 55 miles again this week...
  • Options

MM  - well done those boys!!

i can't take the kids swimming on my own in the local pool. need an adult each to take them (rules...).  so i did need him to truck up since we promised them.

and he has had the audacity to text and 'remind' me that E has a hospital appt tomorrow. AS IF I WOULD BE THE ONE TO FORGET?!?!?!  am actually gobsmacked that he remembered. and slightly gutted as i hoped he would forget. ironically he never came to a single appt with me when we were together and he didn't even come to the hospital either time E was admitted as an emergency after she was born. (which at the time i thought was 'normal' but people subsequently have told me it is not). but now suddenly he remembers all the appointments. and has time off for them. image

• Options

CM- it's hard I know, I would have thrown swimming stuff in the cupboard and announced Daddy hasn't come so we can't go now (with extra flounce), but you really are a star for doing what's best for them xx Is the hosp appt for her eyes? (or did I drean that??)

MM- I would be a proud Mummy indeed- are the boys identical (hence the mix up on the line?)

I am going to bed soon and if I feel this rough in the morning I shall be visiting my GP.

• Options

Camio - how old is your niece? I'm picturing a mischevious looking 7 year old with a pair of plyers laughing as she pulls off your toe nails, quite a horrifying image actually. Hope the truth is a bit less scary. And hope your lurgy gets better soon - sounds like you definitely need that early night!

CM - that's so annoying about the swimming. Very odd as well that they insist on one to one for adults and kids, where we are it's one adult to 2 kids and doesn't seem to matter what age they are. Also seems a bit over the top given that your kids look like fab swimmers already (did I mention before that your water babies pictures are amazing).

MM - well done to your super speedy boys, chips off the old block indeed (not that you're old of courseimage).

Right, better not hang around as hubby been in a bit of a wierd mood this afternoon, think all the arguing and bickering from the 2 big girls has got him a bit down today (always worse when it's raining and we're all cooped up inside) so best go help out with the tidying.

• Options

No not identical, but they were wearing the same shorts and rain coats so easy to mistake them at a distance. Harry also wears glasses, but bless him it was raining so hard he could barely see through them!!

I thought it was one adult for two kids CM. I can go in with the twins, but can't take Sophie as well. Is it different in Wales? I went in the pool with Mum at Haverfordwest with Mum and 3 kids, so that wasn't 1 to 1. And go with hubbie and kids all the time which is the same, 2 adults and 3 kids under 8. Once the boys are 8 I can take all 3 of them.

• Options
    CM - his mum probably reminded him!
  • Options

here it's 1 adult for 2 kids over 4, and 1:1 under 4. so with 2 adults you could take 2 aged 4+ and 1 under 4.  but even tho J swims unaided (and swam down to the deep end and back twice on his own with me swimming alongside him), i still need another adult to take E as well. the only exception, i think, is the teaching pool where they do sessions on a  sat / sun afternoon. i think there you can have 2 per adult. but i'm not wild on that pool any longer as J can touch the bottom even in the deep end so he doesn't actually do any swimming at all. but if needs must, i can at least get in the water with both of them and they do like it there.  but we couldn't go there today as it's only afternoon sessions at the weekend.

yes, it's her eyes, camlo. check-up. unfortunately she broke her glasses 10 days ago and although her replacement pair have arrived, they couldn't cut the arms when i picked them up on friday, so they don't fit her properly (need to take them back in on tuesday). as a result they have spent more time off her than on her this weekend as they are annoying her. and they are now bent out of shape so don't stay on her face. so not entirely sure how productive the appointment is going to be tomorrow!!

• Options

OK I have done a request to join the group on FB i think! image

Knew you would give into the 61 miler CC! Blimey that is sooooooooo long!! Yeah your mountaineering group sounds great. Maybe we could find a munro one day near us and meet up although I think I would be miles behind you!!!

Has to be 1:1 swimming here until both kids over 5. A real pain.

My 6 yr old is going on her first school trip tomorrow. Because its a wee school they go on a trip every year. Away for 2 nights, yikes. Cannot imagine how she will get on as she doesn't like staying away from home although she seems really excited. I'm just worried she'll be sick on the bus!!

Well done on your boys MM and your run. Sounded like a manic morning!

Camlo - hope you get an early night and yeuch to the toenails!!!!!

My forum names pretty obvious why I choose it I guess eh? image

• Options
    oh yes forum name - well i like caramel macchiatos from starbucks. although i don't like them that much anymore. i have gone off all the milk, and now prefer caramel americanos. was thinking of changing my name but then thought you lot would have to type CA rather than CM and i have been CM for so long now... maybe i just should though. you could still call me CM - i wouldn't mind image
  • Options

Well done to the boys MM. And for your running week too. I've done 42 this week (with 62 miles on the bike too)  after 30 last week. Trying to be sensible after my injury and get back up gradually but not sure what to target this next week. My race is 2 weeks today so it would be good to go for a 50 week before a taper week but will back off if I feel the injury niggling again. My orthotics arrived at last so I did 6 miles in them today. Felt a bit strange.

RF - sure she will have a ball although 6 does seem quite young for 2 nights away. What size is your school? Our school has 106 pupils!

Sophie left on the boat tonight on her school trip (she is 10). They are off to Edinburgh and are away for 6 nights. The schedule of things they are doing is really impressive, she is going to be shattered when she gets back next weekend. It is going to be so weird without her here.

Dylan was playing at a football tourament yesterday morning and got hit in the face with the ball and it snapped his sports goggles clean in half at the nose. Hubby says it was a real hard wallop. He was a bit stunned and had a bit of a greet but otherwise fine.  Glad he was wearing them and not his normal glasses but just the small matter now of having to stump up £70 for a new pair.

CC - good weeks training for you too. Lol at the 61 miler you nutter! I still haven't decided what to target in the autumn, should I just book Dublin and me and hubby have a weekend away or see if I can find a place in Abingdon (I got one off the forums last year) and work in a family trip in the october hols. I'm hopeless at decisions! 

Camlo- hope you feel better tomorrow. You're not preggers are you?! Shame your mum is not helping you with all you have to deal with Archie and feeling so ill.

My parents and in-laws do help if you ask them. I'm just not that good at asking, especially my in-laws. MIL always says you know where we are if you need us but then if you do she makes you feel like its a bit of a hassle. My parents are easier to ask but they live further away (only 20 miles though, in laws are about 4 miles down the road.) My parents have the twins on Monday while I work . Haven't seen my parents since last monday and I think it is at least 2 weeks we saw the in-laws. Which reminds me I do need to phone and ask her if she can babysit in July as we have tickets to go and see the Levellers during the tall ships race which comes here this year.

Been a good weekend here. A great day yesterday. A friend came over with her two kids and we asked what the kids wanted to do. They all said go wetsuiting - a great idea but it was not the warmest day, overcast and a bit drizzly, but we thought o what the heck and went anyway. These tourists were on the beach in full waterproofs and hats and there was our lot out in the water in shortie wetsuits. They made a point of coming over to tell us we were nuts. I did point out that I was not (unlike you CC!) and had no intention of going in the water! I was perfectly content sitting on the beach in my jacket supping hot tea!  We got home and had a mass bathing session of 8 cold sandy kids, got them fed and sent my hubby up to town to fetch a takeway while we drank wine! 

Right better go. Have promised I will do a decent rolling session before I go to bed tonight. My calves are really tight and I have been neglecting the roller this week. Not the best idea when trying to come back from injury.