Options

The Nike+ Human Race 10K

Comments

• Options

Hi All!

Apparently the race starts at 6.30pm and the concert starts at 8:30pm!

http://www.runtex.com/web/2-2089.asp

When I signed up I didn't realize it started so late! I reckon it's going to be a good one, how often to you get the chance to run at wembley stadium? I am also wondering how many ticket are going to turn up on ebay with people only wanting to see the concert! 

• Options
    I think I may have deleted the email saying my shirts ready image.... do i need it or can I find the number anoher way?
  • Options

Your personal ID number is in the email they sent you when you entered, subject line "You're In."

HTH

• Options
    Cheers! Will trawl through my hotmail! Oh it's exciting!
  • Options

Hiya!

Just went to Nike Town and picked up our race shirts, chips etc, my other half didn't have his number, but they found his entry using his name instead. Didn't need any ID, they just asked DOB, postcode, things like that. The shirt's pretty cool (as long as you like red!) and it's nice to be able to have a girl sized one - the one I got at the BUPA 10,000 is a bit on the large side!

• Options
    £30 quid for a 10K!!! i thought cardiff was a rip off this year at £22
  • Options
    Hey DaisyD did you get a text message from them saying your stuff was ready or did you just turn up to pick them up?
  • Options

I collected my shirt today - and they told me it helps to have your number but they can look you up by other info if not. You do get some freebie vouchers (and if you smile and ask nicely, they give you some more!)

Confused about what time it starts - although the web says that 'most' runners will finish in daylight. Which implies a start around 730 (I'm guessing here...). But I just don't know. Lucky that I'm in Wave 1.

I really don't like the idea of being herded around and having to do loads of waiting! Even if there is a concert on!!

My usual 10k is 250 people max and even that makes me feel claustrophobic at the start,s o I ams eriously wondering whether I can cope with the numbers they are talking about. Still, I am willing to give it a go! 

• Options
    Develish - we were on the train on the way up to London to pick the stuff up when we got the text message! I don't think it matter if you've had the text message, I got the impression it was just a reminder.
  • Options
    I still havent heard about going to collect my race pack. It's getting a bit close now don't you think?
  • Options
    i haven't heard anything yet either but i am going to pop along to nike town this and see. i did email them last week and i haven't heard anything back so i am not too impressed with them!
  • Options

Just go down there, I'm sure it'll be OK.

They have about a thousand t-shirts behind the desk (which they allocate to you - its not like the packs have to be specially made up...) so I am sure they can sort you out on the spot.

• Options

How many people do we think they'll really have running it in the end? I know you can get 30,000+ running the london marathon, and even more on the great north run, but these are huge events in the calendar for elites and fun runners alike, and very well established with hundreds of thousands lining the street in support.

By contrast the new 'Bupa London 10,000' this May bank holiday had about 6000 people finish (ok, bad weather) ; the Great Capital Run in Hyde Park had about 8000 people run it out of about 12500 places.

These were well organised and well publicised races, running at a nicer time of day on a weekend or bank holiday morning, cheaper entrance fee and easy online signup (instead of a website that only works with some browsers, and makes you pick up your race kit from central london yourself)

The idea of racing against the rest of the world sounds like a good gimmick, but how easy is it to find 30,000 people who want to go out to west london at 8pm and run around the block while their friends and family keep the stadium seats warm (if they paid £10 for the privilege of being able to meet up after the race)?

From the response on here it doesn't sound like they are going to sell out and have 29,999 people for me to race by the end of this month...

• Options

Got this e-mail from them today:

Thank you for your email.
    Please collect your race pack and spectator tickets on the below dates.
    You will be able to pick it up with your full name and be able to answer
    security questions.
    if you do not have a confirmation email.

Race packs are to be collected at NikeTown London

Wave 1 and 2 needs to pick up their race packs this week only.

Wave 3 from the 18th Aug-24th
    Wave 4 25th Aug - 30th Aug

We can not post any race packs.

You will not be able to pick up race packs on the day.

If you are unable to pick up your race pack, you will have to arrange a
    friend to do this on your behalf. They will just need your confirmation
    email and your date of birth.

Nike Town Opening Hours
    Monday to Saturday from 10:00-20:00
    Sunday from 11:00-18:00

Thanks
    Nike+ Human Race Team

• Options

Hi Everyone,

Got my technical t-shirt, which although very nice, has been made somewhat un-technical by being screenprinted instead of dye-sublimated(I think that's the right term). 

The screenprinting has blocked up all of the holes in the chest area, which will mean we all get hotter than we should and probably end up with heat rashes!  That said, I do think it's still worth the entry fee - concert/decent(but not very good for long distances) t-shirt, and a couple of free starbucks drinks, not too bad for 30 quid.

See you at the race!

• Options

This whole race is getting more and more annoying. First it was the website, which when I managed to get in, didn't even have the race route though plenty of other nonsense, then having to trek down to the Nike shop which is a noisy hellhole - why do they have different 'music' playing around the shop so that at various places you have a clashing cacophony? - now it's an email trying to generate some fake North-South rivalry. I thought this race was about runners from all over the world coming together in the spirit of this, that and the other, not 'I hate northerners' and 'southern softies'. What juvenile rubbish!

The real problem is that there's no changing or baggage storage so you're expected to sit/stand around in your running kit for an hour or two before the race and - worse - after the race, to hear the concert. So that's why your 'mates' have to buy a ticket; so that they can look after your stuff.

Oh, and the route: they had it in the shop, and it's round Wembley industrial estate. It's even worse than it sounds. And there's more dust, sand and grit blowing around than in the Sahara (it's been a building site for years) so my tip is if it's dry and you don't like carp in your eyes, wear sunglasses . 

• Options
    Phew! Good to get that off my chest! And there might be a problem with finding 30,000. Brent (the local council) were offering 100 free places to residents. Now, members of my running club which is in Brent need only ask the council to get a free place.
  • Options
    ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    I got my stuff, easy to pick up, its just by the doors, so a quick in and out. I didn't see the route though? My club is also in Brent. Who do you run for Eva?
  • Options
    ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    Oh, and wave 1 runners start on the pitch, which is pretty cool. Doesn't the concert start before the race as well, or is it after we finish, I intend to collect my medal/memento and just run home?
  • Options
    £30 ?? absoloute discrace milking the cash cow any runner entering this race deserves to have their pockets picked
  • Options

Hi everyone picked up my race pack yesterday no fuss they also gave me my GFs no trouble.

It maybe pricey but it's a good event my first event was the Night 10k (Nov 2004) so happy memories, everyone training going well ?? 

HOD

• Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Picked up my pack this morning so am ready to go!  Quite a few people registering at the store too so obviously a few places left!
  • Options

Does anyone know the timings of this?

from an email they sent, i got the impression we have to be in the stadium by 6 (if you're late, you don't get in) and then we have to sit through the entertainment (DJ, Pendulum then Moby) before anyone can actually start running. Can that be true?

Thanks!

• Options

Hi,

I had a friend pick up my pack with no problems. Thank goodness. I had a choice to choose from wave 1 or 4. Wave 1 apparently is the fastest and seeing I'm not that fast I opted for wave 4. Have no clue what time the waves set off. Anyone else in wave 4?.

I've never run among 30,000 people, I usually run alone and it's my 1st run of 10k in an event like this. 

• Options

I be travelling from Uxbidge underground  station to wembley direct if anyone else is travelling that way.

• Options

Picked up packs for me and my hubby in the week without any ID etc - all very straight forward.

Just seen the route this weekend though at a running shop - no wonder it is so hard to find online - no-one would have signed up! 

I was hoping to improve my time (only my 2nd 10k race) and had put in lots of training but the route doubles back on itself all the time with lots of tight twists and turns - it looks to me like we'll end up walking most of it, not running! 

If the weather is pants, I suspect that there will be nowhere near 30k people doing it. 

Bit dispirited to see the route and feel a bit like Nike just concentrated on the start/finish and forgot about the middle (i.e. the 10k).  Has anyone managed to find the route online anywhere?

• Options
    This is probably why they didn't publisize the route!! No one would sign up for it. I am actually regretting signing up for it. I get the impression that Nike is doing this more for publisity rather than focusing on getting everyone around the world to run. This will be my first 10k and I thought running in the new wembley stadium would be pretty impressive.  Also from  what I have read hear there are a few people who don't seem too impressed with it!This is the last time Nike will be getting any of my money!
  • Options
    Yeah, I would like to know the route also.
  • Options

Does anyone here work in a running shop with a copy of the route? 

If so, would be great to have it posted somewhere so we can all see it

• Options
    Hi everyone.

I've done a couple of the Nike runs and they are really well organised (or have been in the past). Not a surprise the route isn't great TBH. It is more about the start/finish for this one. Even with twists it'll still be farily flat very runable.

I'm supposed to pick my pack up by today but have not had the chance to get to Nike Town. Does anyone have a number I could call?

Previously they have said that there is limited baggage and changing facilities and they have been fine. I think they try to discourage everyone from leaving bags etc but if you've got one, you should be fine. They haven't had showers etc before but ther have been changing areas.