Options

The Nike+ Human Race 10K

Comments

• Options

Just read the reviews and some of the comments on here.  I very nearly entered this and now glad I didnt but sorry to hear so many negative comments.  Could I just reasurre the slower runners that I have run many smaller races of around 300 and had lots of reasurrances and support from the marshalls, even though I'm very slow.   I just look at the results from the previous year and if there are people coming in at the end around my own predicted time then I go for it.  And being last isnt as bad as you think - you tend to get a good cheer! image  The bigger races can have a lot to offer but the smaller ones are much more friendly.  I like to do both. 

• Options

Call me old fashioned but ...anyone who pays £30 to enter a 10k wants their head examining...in my humble opinion of course image

• Options
    I hope that Sole Survivor and The Beetroot will run a smaller race in the future and all the best for your future running - you'll see a different world in a smaller race but I understand your concerns about a small event - danger of running alone and finishing last is no fun!   Good luck.   Boooooooooo to Nike!
  • Options
    I ran on Sunday but did it at home and then logged in the run with my ipod they sent me congratulations and i believe i may get a t-shirt aswell, we'll have to wait and see.  Anyway it got me out of bed and running six miles when i probably wouldn't have, so i can't grumble.
  • Options
    C Hughes 2, I don't want to depress you, and congratulations on your 10K - I also got the email as I have a sportband which I used to log my run, but I think there's little chance of any of us getting a shirt. As you're obviously a Nike+ runner, see the support forums for the Human Race on the Nike+ website; there's one entitled " Questions - can I get some answers????" which has a response from a member of the Nike staff. To quote from their email: "I know there are a lot of crazy stories floating around regarding free Nike+ Human Race tees...[snip]". Doesn't sound too hopeful, does it? Scotch mist I think, rather like the medal!

• Options

I complained to Nike about Sunday's Nike Human Shambles. Just got a cut-and-pasted response from Nike (from 'UK Runners'?! No specific name/email address):

As you can appreciate, Nike is a company that wants to try and do new and different things, rather than just sticking to a more traditional format of events time after time. Sometimes that means new and different for the people taking part too. 

Just to address a few of the specific points raised:

The course - we wanted it to be Wembley, and for most people to get a chance to be on the pitch, start the run from there and finish approaching with the arch lit up was pretty cool. This means the route was in the surrounding streets/estates, and we agree it was urban and gritty rather than picturesque. We did have markers at every 1 KM along the route   

Concert at the start not the end - we thought long and hard about this and eventually decided that the music would be better to try and get people warmed up. As for people saying they didn't want the music, just the run, we made it clear all along that the two were integral to the event. For every person who didn't like the concert, there were many who seemed to be really getting into it by the stage.

The waiting to get going - With 20,000+ people taking part we had to group the runners into four waves for safety and logistics reasons. This meant they needed to be spread out in terms of the start timings to avoid overcrowding at the start and out on the course. We should have been clearer on the timings of the wave starts and we'll make sure of that in future. 

Race reward - We took the decision in the UK to provide a technical running top as a memento of the day as it was something that could be worn again to run in and must say that it was welcomed by a lot of runners (especially after getting soaked in the rain).

Getting cold and wet - Yep. We got soaked too. Probably fair to say that had it been a lovely summer's evening it would have alleviated many of people's problems!

If 'new and different' means blindly trying not to trip over railings and potholes in an event organised by sixth-formers, I'll stick to 'old and the same', cheers Nike.

• Options

Cheers.

This was my first 10k running event. I loved the atmosphere, I thought the people were brilliant and yes we all did get stuck in the rain. I was in wave 4 and got soaked, but I was still smiling and there was even another runner who had an umbrella to keep me dry and I didn't even know her..lol...I loved the t shirt at the end as I was wearing it on my first day back at the gym. I felt proud. I loved the concert and was at the front dancing away with people I didn't even know. I've never been to wembley and this was my first time. I was slightly mislead by the medals thing, but pleased with the t shirt. I loved the fact that I got to see Paula radcliff...apparently she was in my wave, but she was probably zooming ahead. She was part of the reason for me running in the first place.

It did seem a bit chaotic and I do feel sorry for the people that did get hurt during this run, but in all honesty it was with all it's little problems - it was for charity and no one can help british weather.

I'm looking forward to the next Nike run. I am already back at training.

The event was exciting, but I guess some things could of been done differently. But it's done now and hopefully we have helped our chosen charities. Mine was WWF.

http://profiles.yahoo.com/dianeunitedkingdom

• Options
    Unbelievably patronising answer, which makes me really angry now instead of just exasperated. New and different my a***! They are just asking for that lovely white top to be defaced and then worn again in another race - "I ran the Human Race and all I got was this lousy T shirt!" Also, how do they know that most people thought it was 'cool' to be on the pitch? For everyone that did, I bet there is one that couldn't have cared less. I am not a football fan and don't give a toss about the "sacred turf" (i.e. plastic covering) having been caressed by the golden one's boot! And as for the music being better for a warm-up, why did other countries not do the same? Could it be because they didn't have to wait for a major retail outlet which is always packed on a Sunday to evict the last shoppers in order for us to run at all?
  • Options

Hey People, Well the Nike + 10k was my first event and I have to say I was very disappointed. Are all events that poorly organised? I hope the Birmingham half marathon isn't.

We got there at about 5.20pm and didn't start running until about 8.30pm!!!!!! After standing in the rain for 20 mins freezing our tits off. I consider myself a fairly good runner. After taking nearly 7.30min to run the first 1km due mainly to the bottle neck start and then trying to weave in and out of people while trying to jump puddles I picked up my pace and ran about 46.20 mins or something. I normally do 10kms in about 42/43 mins.

I really wanted a medal so was gutted just to get free t-shirts both of which are the wrong size as they had ran out. Hell I didn't even realise there were any free t's!!! As some people have already said, I went there to run not to listen to a bloody concert. I just wonder, was that where most of our £30 went???

I just read that response from Nike what a complete joke.

Has anyone actually measured the course by the way as my Garmin picked it up as 6.55 Miles. I know its not going to be bang on but that's about a quarter mile over!

Ben

• Options

It's been noted by other people that the course distance was not exactly right.

Some of your money went to your chosen charity.

• Options

Yeah I know. I'm quite happy about that but I can't remember how much went to the chosen charity. I just remember it being quite expensive and was looking forward to my first running medal.

The Birmingham Half Marathon is only about £20.

Ben

• Options
    I think it was only 10% of the entry fee went to the charity - personally I would rather more went to the charity and less on the extra t-shirts, many of which were being trampled on (by the time I had finished) in the confusion and chaos at the finish line.   We even saw some of the staff throwing them over the top of the ramp to people below as we were leaving!
  • Options

Whilst I'm slightly miffed that, if as suggested, the distance wasn't right, I would have actually registered a PB (my current PB from the Great Capital Run was 53.42, my chipped time from this race was 55.02), I'm more bothered about Nike's responses - the first km marker wasn't till about 2k.  "Gritty and urban" - I've heard that epithet used to describe downtown Basra, but I wouldn't run there.

Actually though - there were lots of references to this race as a "fun run".  If that's the case, why issue out chips?  Why have a digital clock at the start and finish?

I guess we all have a choice, and we can vote with our feet and wallets next year if we don't see that Nike has made it better.  It's not as if there's no-one out there doing it better (GreatRun etc?).

I'll probably be less seduced by the swoosh next time and revert to organisers I know can turn out a good event. 

• Options
    It was too dark for me to see them !!!
  • Options
    I saw all the Km markers from start to finish.
  • Options
    Oh well.  Maybe if they'd given the marshalls torches to shine on the marker boards....?  I'd actually run the previous evening, left it way late, was almost running in darkness.  Didn't realise until we left the stadium how useful that training run would prove to be!!
  • Options
    yeah- I thought it was pretty cool running in the darkness with my trusty ipod screen glowing to keep me company..lol...
  • Options
    I only got bumped out of the way by 6 ipodders this time - an improvement on the 12 in the british london 10k back in June....
  • Options

aww....poor you...hope I wasn't one of them..lol....although I was running on my own.

You doing any running events soon?

• Options

a few local to me (bedfordshire) - a five miler this sunday, a 10k at the end of september, and an 8k cross-country in october.  My goal is a half-marathon at some point in the future.

You?

• Options

10k (chelmsford) October. Can't see anymore local ones in Essex.

Good luck

• Options
    Is anyone else doing the adidas 5k women's challenge at Hyde Park this Sunday? They too have promised a medal, a t shirt and loads of other goodies. I wonder if adidas will beat Nike on this occasion! I'll let you know what I get image
  • Options

The Clapham Common 10k on 26th october looks interesting....

• Options

yeah?. Have you got a link?

You going in for that one?

• Options
    I got poked in the back by some woman on steriods who shouted get outa my way ! Nice
  • Options

Yeah I got a bit of that too.   My (censored) response was "Fiddlesticks Homework!  Room for all of us, love!" 

There's being "in the zone" and there's being an arrogant selfish individual.

• Options

and being a cock too image

I wonder how many of these 'runners' will be there on a cold December morning for X Country ?

• Options
    Er, probably very few.  Their ipods might not work in the cold....