Options

Give me a kick up the back side please

Comments

• Options

Don't worry about pre-race demons, they happen to lots of people.  PMA, just like the add with the little kid and Linford Christie all those years ago, and you'll be fine.  Can you run after taking anti-histamine, or does is affect you too much?

What sort of things are you applying for, GG?  It might be worth you joining something like Linked-In if you haven't already.....

• Options
    JuanaH wrote (see)

I think P is flirting with you, Jimo!!!

Says thoughtfully .. been thinking about this whole 'flirting' malarky .. can't remember the last time I had a good flirt .. or at least realised I was 'flirting' .. maybe I should try it .. do you think I'd be any good at it ... how embarrassing .. forgotten how you get started image

Tries out a 'flirty line' .. "Jimo m'dear how do you get rid of the lactic acid build up in your legs when you run longer distances" .. hmmm ... doesn't sound very flirtacious to me .. think I need help

http://www.freefever.com/animatedgifs/animated/smileys7.gif

• Options

To be fair, that's not the bezzie.  We can offer advice here, but if you want a giggle, I'm going to post a link below, just in case you haven't read this thread - quite charming, actually! 

My flirting technique is rubbish.  For example, out on a date with OH on Sunday, asthma attack, throws up in hand. It's a surprise he still fancies me!!

• Options

Try not to get too down about the application thing grast_girl, it's just a bit of a rubbish time at the mo. I'm still having no luck, but you've just got to keep trying.

Plus race wise you'll do great, you put so much prep and hard work in you incredibly well prepared compared to most I reckon. image

Yeah there's a lot of flirting around at the mo, must be that spring is in the air! I wouldn't take JuanaH's advice on flirting patootie, she tried to use crying as a way of getting close to the gym hotties! image

Decided I'm going to go to running club tonight, what's the worst that can happen right?

Also have to sort out car tax and put curtain rail up, yep I have no curtains at the mo, which is not very nice for the neighbours I should imagine! image

• Options

Jimo - I'd totally forgotten that.  Yes, I did cry in the gym, but it was pre-marathon jitters and a blotchy tear stained face (I learnt subsequently) tends to scare off the fellas.

How did I pull my OH?  He was always a bit aloof at work, so at the Xmas party, I went up to him and after a few pleasantries, I asked him: 'why are you such an aloof a***hole?' (had had a few shandies by then).  He dealt with it very well, so I suggested we got drunk - particularly unclassy at the best of times, but even worse in a full length ball gown, and that seemed to do the trick.  Again, don't recommend as general flirting adviceimage

Def go to the running club, if it's that bad, you can run away.

I think I'm finding my comedy streak again, wahoo.

On a more serious note, keep plugging away at those job applications.  Something will come of it.  I've been down to the dole office a couple of times now, and some of the people there, couldn't look for a pair of socks, deodorant or a hairbrush, so you will be fine (unless any of you are the reebok classic wearing sockless and stinky slob I had the misfortune of sitting next to last week!!).  Still, no more visits for me now.  Instead, I get to start work on Monday at a place where they'd clearly forgotten I was going.  I had to ask yesterday what was happening on Monday, and at 5pm yesterday, a chap rang me and said:  You're working for me - so I've been told.  We'd better sort something out!"  Oh my!!!

Run like the wind chaps, and have a fab day.  Off out to lunch to stuff my face with the olds

• Options

Glad to hear work have been in contact JuanaH.

Well went to running club last night, had a very charming 5 mile and a bit run. I've never chatted to people on a run before, which I learnt is quite a skill in itself! They seem a friendly bunch so will join up next week.

Anyhew heading down to good old Berkshire tonight, will do 15/16 miles on Saturday morning then it's round my mate's to get him trollied as it's only 2 weeks till his wedding.

Anyone else got much planned?

• Options

image and I was teasing about 'best threads' etc ... just reread it and it doesn't look funny anymore image

So easy to put things that are meant innocently or as a 'tease' .. but often much harder to convey the 'humour' correctly ... image 

Sorry !!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a good note ... I am going to a party tonight image

We are 'congregating in the communal lounge at 7pm' to toast "Happy Birthday" to a 79 year old .. free wine and nibbles .. sounds like it will be a 'riotous' affair .. image

• Options

Morning everybody!

How did the weekend go?

Nice party patootie?

How did the race go grast_girl?

Any crazy stories from the weekend JuanaH?

Well pretty quiet one for me really. Headed down to the country on Friday night. Did 16 miles on Saturday morning, probably the easiest feeling 16 miles I've ever done and it was my fastest bizarrely. Not too sure what distances to do on the 2 long runs before the marathon on 10th May. I was thinking around 12 miles for both, would that be OK?

Spent Saturday night round mates drinking far too many beers and crashing on his couch, he reminded me that I should really write that best man speech. Sunday just relaxed really, ooo put up that curtain rail last night which meant I much better night's sleep..

• Options

Not sure whether GG will get on to this forum today or not. She did amazing, and knocked about 1 and a half minutes off last year's course time. Not quite the target time that she was aiming for - but the course was a lot hillier than she'd remembered! Most importantly from my point of view - she did this without throwing up at the end! It also meant that I had a nice and quiet afternoon yesterday as she dozed/watched TV image

Jimo - I would suggest 12 miles 2 weeks before and then dropping further (8/9 miles max) for the week before. Although as long as you're taking it easy, 12 miles shouldn't matter too much.

• Options

oooo thanks for letting us know how she did sanity, always great to PB, gibe her a big slap on the back from me. image

Did you run it as well sanity, how did you do?

Sounds like a good idea re: the runs sanity. I shall do that.

Well 3 miles tonight and a few weights I'm thinking. Haddock for dinner. image

Just thought isn't it JuanaH's first day at new job today? Hope it's going well JuanaH if so. image

• Options

Beautiful sunny day here .. went out in my car .. helped my elderly gentleman friend to buy a walker (rollator, call it what  you will) .. there'll be no stopping him now .. he was haring up the street like a 20 year old .. was given a bottle of Smirnoff .. opened the packaging when I got back ... and with my usual clumsy butterfingers promptly let it slip through my fingers ... with stunning speed I darted my bare foot out to break the bottles fall ... bottle was saved .. but dratted foot has a lump the size of a football (well golfball, mustn't exagerate) ... slathered 100% pure arnica gel on ... throbbing madly but somewhat soothed by the arnica .. image

Trust me .. typical clutz  !!

• Options

jimo - I knocked 3 whole seconds off my 10k PB. I was a lot happier about the 3 seconds then most people would be because my previous PB was on a really flat course, so getting a PB on a hilly course bodes well for the next 10k race!

patootie - hope the foot stops hurting soon. I have a habit of using my foot to try to stop things when they're falling, often causing myself more damage then whatever was falling. Fortunately I've always (so far) managed to pull my foot out of the way again when I've dropped a knife...

• Options
    3 hours after stopping the Smirnoff from breaking .. 6 x 30 minute applications of 100% pure arnica gel .. and I am happy to report my foot is in perfect condition again .. no soreness .. no bruising .. lumps gone down ... thank goodness for arnica gel image
  • Options

Apparently my official time was 1:00:24, only one minute off my top target of 59:30, but better than last year's 1:02:02, so can't complain too much (even if I felt I deserved a better time with all the training I put in).  I think it just shows how much speed work can make a difference, so I'm going back to doing club speedwork starting this week ready for Whipsnade in 8 weeks time, which is a lot flatter and has laps so is really easy to pace.

Glad your foot is OK patootie.

Hope Juana's first day went OK.

Good luck with the training Jimo.

• Options

WELL DONE GG, CONGRATULATIONS.  AND SANITY TOO.  PBs all round image

Yay for P sorting out your foot with arnica (the stuff of legends!), and nice work on the 16 miles.  I agree with S on cutting down the miles - sounds very sensible.

Thanks all for your kind wishes.  The day was fine.  I'm exhausted, nearly left some confidential docs in the office - not the end of the world, but would have made me look rubbish, and my boss is a marathon runner!!  Every year he gets sub 3 times, and he must be around 50, so I believe his PB is 2hrs 30 mins, and if I want he's going to help with speed work - he used to be heavily involved in athletics as a coach.  AND, we're going to set up a Post Office running club.  So it's a nice footing (if you'll excuse the pun) for a good working relationship.

I have cheekily invited myself to mum and dad's for dinner, so I don't have to cook!! Sadly, no comic weekend stories for you, Jimo.  I will try harder next weekend, although at this rate, it'll be a weekend of snoozing!!

I won't have a computatormerator for a couple of weeks, it looks like, so runnersworld will be an after school hobby for a while, boo!

Have a good day tomorrow, folks image

• Options

Good to hear the foot is a lot better patootie.

Yep the hard work sure does pay off grast_girl, what races have you and sanity got next?

Glad to hear the job is going well JuanaH, very interesting regarding your boss being a runner (and a really good one by the sounds of it), everyone in my office thinks my running is a bit weird still.

Did 3.5 miles last night. Going to join running club today and I think I'm due to do speed work with the really fast group, don't know if I'll be able to keep up, but I've always been one for glorious failure. image

Everyone else got much on this week?

• Options

Off to do speedwork tonight (middle group hopefully), the beginner's course is starting so it's going to be completely manic, but I'm sure it will be fun.

Sanity is off to Iceland this weekend, so I've got to decide what I'm going to do while he's away.

• Options

How did the speed-work go grast_girl? Easy answer what to do when sanity is away, partay! image (only joking sanity image)

Well to let you know how my week went. Did 8.5 miles with the really fast group on Tuesday, managed to keep up till about the last couple of miles, but found my own way back to running club!

Took a leaf out of grast_girl's book and ran 3 miles Wednesday morning at about 6.45am, really enjoyed it.

Then did 7.5 miles with the second fastest group last night, did the last mile in a flat out sprint (I think I might have been showing off) looked at my watch and managed that in about 52 mins which for me is extremeley quick for a midweek run. So covered 22.5 miles this mid week, well chuffed with that.

And they given me my membership card already, yay! Going to run 12/13 miles on Sunday at quite a relaxed pace.

So Sunday decided going to pop into London and watch tthe marathon, never seen it before so I thought it would be nice to take it all in.

How's everyone else doing? First week go OK JuanaH?

• Options

Weird weird.  I've been posting a bit this week, and they have disappeared.  Promise I haven't been putting anything offensive on...

I've had a couple of shandies right now, so will write tomorrow when I'm making more sense.

Buenas noches tod@s

• Options

That is strange JuanaH. image

Anyway how's it going everyone? Everybody have a nice weekend?

So went for a run with some peeps from running club on Saturday, ended up doing 14.5 miles, but it was at a extremely relaxed pace for me. The odd time they stopped at gates and the such I was doing press ups and chin ups as I was bouncing with energy for some reason. Had some nice pub garden beers on Saturday too.

Sunday went to the London marathon, had a great time at the RW's cheering section. Helped give out jelly babies, bananananana and jaffa cakes to runners as they went past, even got a hugs off a couple! Got through quite a few beers as well and got home about midnight. Great day out. image

So no running yesterday as very tired and hungover. Running club tonight which will be my last 'fast' run before marathon I think.

Let us know what you're up to dudes! image

• Options
    Sorry I haven't been on for a while, I lack internet access.  Finally got my engagement ring, when I get time I'll post up a pic.
  • Options

Blimey someone posted again! image

ooo can't wait to see the ring grast_girl. image

How's the new job JuanaH?

Things going well patootie?

Well quick update what I've been up to, my best mate got married on Friday just gone, so was best man for that, one of the happiest days of my life it was amazing.

Running wise, been putting the miles away, including quite a few runs with new running club which is going very well. And my first ever marathon is on Sunday so some nice good luck messages before then would be nice. imageimage

Anyway hope y'all well dudes. image

• Options

Going to see Evita at a local theatre this afternoon ..image ... 1st time I shall have been out for about 15 years .. so that is extremely exciting for me ... image

Weathers been playing my fibro up .. but that's nothing new of course .. image

Been to several very interesting meetings recently ... I never ceased to be surprised at how much work goes on in the background to enable us to rent our homes .. the red tape and 'must have' rules are numerous  .. and all need reviewing on a regular basis to make sure they still comply ... and the tact and patience that the customer help people must have .. blimey ...

.... a ladies small child had stuffed her rubber gloves down the toilet ... being somewhat squeamish about reaching into the toilet to retrieve the gloves she decided to just flush the toilet ... of course the gloves then blocked the loo up ... she was shocked to find that her pair of cheapo rubber gloves was going to cost her £55 to have the blockage removed ... so that's my advice for the day ... never flush rubber gloves down the toilet image

• Options
    Evita was stunning, wonderful, fantastic, brilliant, enjoyed every second, other than the THREE flights of stairs and the oven hot auditorium ... met some lovely 'regulars' who gave me all the tips ... so I shall know to take a bottle of drink and a snackette in my handbag ready for next time hahahahah Phewee I am totally cream crackered now .. legs throbbing ... tired .. but happy image On the way to the show my taxi driver admitted she hadn't gone the shortest way to the theatre  ... so in recompense ... she turned off the meter not often you'd hear a taxi driver admit they hadn't gone the shortest way is it !!
  • Options
    There I was doing my little bit of shopping in Tesco Express .. as all too often happens they'd moved things around in the shop .. I had 'lost' the coffee .. so there I am trundling around the shop on my disability scooter searching for the coffee ... when .....

..... I noticed this chap acting 'oddly' .. he looked nervous .. was trying to peer over the top of the shelving towards the checkout .. and was clearly not impressed that I was whizzing past him up and down the aisles . ...

.... he kept moving to other aisles and doing the same thing .. so I was sure something was wrong ..

... then he suddenly started moving swiftly for the doors ... so I did a quick reverse ... and got my scooter down the aisle he was about to dash down ...

... the look on his face was a picture .. realising I was in his way ... he threw the items he was about to nick back onto the nearest shelf ... and with a graceful leap he jumped over the front wheel of my scooter and was away ....

.... I yelled "SHOP LIFTER" ... and the staff came flying over ... they dashed outside ... but he was already making a get away in his car .... I described the chap really well ... and they wound the CCTV tape back and got him on it ... he had indeed been lurking ... going up and down the aisles ...

.... the manager came out to thank me ... said shoplifting was a daily occurence ... then asked me how I knew something was wrong .. I said I had been Neighbourhood Watch Administrator for the local police Sector and had gone to training sessions on how to spot ne'er do wells ... he said I had given an almost exact description of the chap ... 4 of his staff had run out after him .. watch him jump in his car and pull away ... but not one had thought to notice what kind of car or take the number plate ... he said .. "I bet you'd have remembered that too" .. hahaha

But you know it makes me cross that someone would risk getting caught just for the sake of a couple of cans of drink and two chocolate bars .. why, why would he risk getting caught and getting a police record for so little ... the cost of the items was just over £3 ... but if he'd been caught it could have ruined his life !!
  • Options

Hello chaps, I'm back and online at work.  Wahoo.  It won't be quite like before - I actually have to do work here!  But all is good.

Jimo - you did a stunning marathon time yesterday.  Congrats.  Dead impressed, 60 or 70 mins quicker than me, wasn't it?!

How is everyone else?

• Options

Blimey that's all quite eventful patootie, well done on your good citizenship! image

So you enjoying the new job JuanaH? Done much running? 

Where's this pic grast_girl? Haven't you got Whipsnade soon?

Well the marathon was fun but painful if you know what I mean. It was a scorching hot day and I forgot to pack the sun cream so have a very nice tan now!

Halstead is a 90 min drive from where I live, so got up at 6.20am to get ready and make it there for 9am. Pottered around talking to a couple of peeps then before I knew it race started.

Took it nice and easy first 2 miles (15 mins), then speeded up a little bit and kept the pace going till about 17 miles. Then my legs sarted to stiffen. Walked a couple of times, once as I had to stop for a pee! (least I was well hydrated, glad I took the water bottle belt). But managed to get over the finish line in 3:17:24 which I was pretty darn happy with. 35th overall out of about 600, a lot of people dropped out halfway when it looped round as it was so hot I think. ooo and I had a 90 min drive back as well, he he.

But great fun, but extermly knackering at the same time. probably won't run till Thursday as legs are still a little bit stiff but not too bad.

Anyway let us know how you're doing guys! image

• Options

Cor blimey, 35th.  Nice work, you sure you don't wanna try and go pro for the London Olympics.

Haven't run for ages, to be totally honest with you.  Must get back into it, but work is so manic at the moment, it isn't really a huge priority.  Come on chaps, motivate me!!!

• Options

Maybe I'll give it a go, they'd re-name me 'Smithy the Slug' image

Motivate you to run hey, well here's a few reasons......

- You were doing pretty darn brilliant at it.

- Remember how good you felt when you done your marathon.

- The weather is prefect at the mo.

- Means you can eat and drink more!

- Think of your poor lonely running gear at the back of the cupboard which is begging you to use it.

- We can do a race together!