Options

Newbies 2

Comments

• Options

Hello All and welcome back Blimpy

Well I have decided I am going to give the clubs predictor race a go tonight. If my ankle hurts at all I will stop. I have been resting it and it has felt tons better, I do have an appointment tomorrow to get it looked at.

MD - Good run there, Hope the power has been restored!

Em- Know what you mean there. Good run and hope you have fun at Legoland.

Hope everyone is well, I just cant wait till I can get out and run properly again.

• Options

Hi Claire!  Be careful with your ankle, don't do a 'me' and run on it if it's bad lol!  Your running going OK?

Nice running there with your (almost) 10 miler, MD.  I'm surprised you're drinking beer and eating pizza - I thought you were a toned afffffferlete who would never abuse his body lol!  I'm not training for Dublin, I still haven't gone 6 months injury-free.  Once I've done that, I'll do the mara, but not until.

As for cyclists, S&O, they're the spawn of satan... image  Next time that happens, just accidentally push them into the canal as they ride past you!

• Options
    Well I was good I did about half the race - 2miles. I cut it short as soon as I felt my ankle hurt. I'm now sat with bag of frozen sweetcorn on it. It's not actually too bad, just no point in pushing it.

Blimpy - was going great with my running till I hit 35! Then I got a bad cold and cough which put stop to everything and well now done something to ankle. So running is kind of a non starter. Fingers crossed will be back soon!! How's your running going?
  • Options

See Claire, I told ya...  Hope you can sort it soon.  Yeah, the older you get, the more susceptable to injury you become. image

My running is a constant battle with injury.  Mind you, the latest problem is my own fault - I did 3 races in a week, but it was kind of worth it as in the third one I came 2nd in my age category and won €30 - how coolio is that?!!!  I've a race this Thursday and I can't miss it as it's the third in a series of 4.  The pressure is on me to get a PB so I'm resting until then, apart from some bike work and pool running.

• Options
    Well cycled to work today. Will cycle home then go a run. In this heat it will prove errrr fun?

Claire - Unlucky about the ankle I am sure it will all work out and you will be fine for your race.

Em - I normally slow down and let the runner's through but I have seem some cyclists that think they own the paths!

Blimp - Some nice PB's there.
  • Options

ha Blimps I decided a while ago that as I'm not in any danger of finishing on a podium (unless i end up in some dodgy club by mistake) there's no point in worrying too much about what i eat. I tend to be quite healthy most of the time so every now and then a well earned pizza and beers are just whats in order.  Hope the injuries ease up for your PB attempt.

Claire ice is a good idea hope you sort that out soon too.

haven't been able to get any running done since sunday as i am interviewing potential housemates at the moment, and me post run is something that i wouldn't inflict on a stranger who i may want to take the room...so i'm stuck doing nowt but relaxing...at least the house is nice and clean at the moment though. I hope to have someone sorted by thursday so i can smash out a nice solid 8 or 10 miles after work before my 'rest' day friday (i will turbo as i haven't done that either) then i'm out Fri night and saturday and so then that leaves the 12 or 13 miles on sunday to do...

• Options
    Well orders are no running for two weeks. I have to massage the area and do the hot and cold treatment on it once I am pain free at the end of the day. I have inflamed part of the muscle that runs down inside of calf, and have been told to rest it or it will get alot worse and I'll be out for a long time. Luckily Oz race is 2weeks on Sunday.

MD - Hope you find new housemate soon.

Andrew - have fun running in the heat, hope it's not too bad for you.
  • Options

The rest will do you good, Claire.  Lots of RICE-ing now, OK?!  image

I can just imagine you answering your front door to a potential house mate after a 2 hour Turbo session, MD!  They'd turn around and run away - screaming lol!

Thanks, Chappers, although I know I can improve on them if I could just get some consistent training in! image  So how did your cycle go, was it warm enough for you?!!!

• Options

they seem to do that anyway Blimps - it must be the cycle shorts and HRM as i've not been on the turbo before they arrive... still no luck so far...another 2 tonight so hopefully this will be the last lot I need to see...one of them is an American actress and the other is a 21 y/o student from Germany (they both sound very nice image) Oh and there is a bloke tomorrow too

• Options
    Hi all,

Quick visit - Travelling again.

Nothing for me for a couple of days. 45 minute easy run when i get home tonight hopefully.

MD if the American actress turns out to be Anegelina Jolie, can I move in too image

• Options

MD, take both the women, it's a win-win! image

• Options

Hi all

Back from Legoland and 3 days of no running, the training week is wrecked although I feel dead on my feet! don't know whether to just carry on with the week and not do the runs missed or try to fit them in, although not sure that I could actually do it as its 10,10,16,10,3 so not enough days.  Next week is the cutback week  9,9,9,9, according to the plan, could I swop it round and do the cut back week this week instead? Will think on it tonight.

Will catch up later.

Em

• Options

S&O, what kinf of programme are you following if you're doing the same distance every day?  That's just ludicrous!

How was legoland?

• Options

Legoland was tiring!

Programme wise, this time I am doing a smartcoach programme, I am so far through that I have to stick with it, you are mean't to do some of the runs at different paces.  It is certainly testing me!

• Options
    Morning all,

Blimps, not unusual to have a cutback week with a few runs of similar length I don't think. How's the injury?

Em, did the kids enjoy legoland. I keep threatening to take mine there.

Lodger sorted MD? I have to agree with Blimps, it's a win-win!

5.5 miles very easy for me last night, keeping HR below 167. Average pace of 9:07/mile. I like aerobic image Dug out a run for the same route from a year ago. 40 seconds/mile quicker now with HR 15 bpm lower. It's digging stats like that out from the training diary that keep me motivated.
  • Options
    grant mgrant m ✭✭✭

Morning all (and hi to blimp),

Claire - Sorry to hear about your latest setback, fingers crossed you recover for Oz.

Em - I'd love to go to Legoland! You know, for my kids... image Good luck with the run logistics!

NV - My Garmin keeps me constantly motivated, it is daft how much I enjoy watching the pace go down. image

3.8 miles for me this morning, surprised how good I felt at the end as I did it in a decent pace (for me) and it's the longest I've run so far.

• Options

Well done Grant.

Claire - that sounds horrible.

NV - The kids loved legoland but it is a great big money pit,  we got a q-bot to cut out having to wait about which costs about £25 each but saved alot of whinging and frayed tempers, then they have the cheek to charge you an extra £3 on top of that each if you want a timed slot for the new atlantis ride and considering you have paid the park entrance and for the q-bot already I think its a bit much.Then they charge you £2 per day to park your car. On top of that you are bombarded with merchandise at every turn. Luckily my kids aren't mental about lego but I said no quite a few times, more because its just more stuff that will just go in the cupboard and not get played with.  Don't get me wrong it was great fun but once a year is enough.

I have been moving about this morning and I seem to have hurt the back of my legs, my mum can't manage much walking now so I pushed her round in her wheelchair and there is alot of uphill in legoland. Now the back of my legs (feels like my achilles) are very stiff/sore. I can't go running until later today so I hope that it will ease off before then.

Still undecided about distance, I think time will be the deciding factor in the end.

Happy running all

Em

• Options

Hmmm, cut back weeks are fair enough, but 4 runs of the same distance is just wrong.  Just do some light stretching, S&O, that should sort out your achillies stiffness.  (Oo-er missus!)

Hi Grant.  I couldn't run without my Garmin, especially in terms of racing - it keeps me pushing on.  Well done on your 3.8 miles, before you know it you'll be up to 10 without any problems. image

I couldn't run by heart-rate, NV, I've just got to think of racing and it goes through the roof lol!  I suppose all you tri-afffffferletes train by HR though, don't you?

So I have a big race tonight.  It's the 3rd race in a series of 4 and the top 50 over the 4 races get a t-shirt.  Now a t-shirt doesn't sound like much, but these shirts are coveted like you wouldn't imagine.  So the state of play so far is I'm in 61st place after 2 races, so the pressure is on to run really well in every race.  Basically I have to PB in the last 2 races to get anywhere near.  Sounds easy enough, but I haven't run since last Friday so I don't know how it's going to go tonight.  Fingers crossed...

Hi to everyone I didn't mention.

• Options
    Smash it up Blimps.

Don't race by HR, just train. Racing is all done on effort, although for the half iron I did have target HRs as well.I am prepared to admit that when I spotted a runner ahead of me yesterday, the HR was a bit high until I'd gone past him image

Thanks Em. A very concise summary of potential wallet damage there! I'm with Blimpy on this, bit of light stretching.
  • Options

Oh, I'll give it everything tonight, NV, same as I do in every race.  If I don't finish feeling as though I'm about to throw up, then I know I haven't worked hard enough... image

Ah, so you only train by HR, OK, that kind of makes sense, although I still find training using that method too slow.

• Options
    Missed out the run on Tuesday after a grueling 12 mile on the bike home I was knackered felt like a pool of sweat and had no energy left in me to go a run (remember my cycle to work and home is on a MTB). Tonight I must go a run got the club relays coming up and I have done basically no running and I have still to do ANY OW!!!!!!

Blimpy - Good luck tonight not that you will need it image

Em - Light stretching is needed. Hope you get it all sorted though

Grant - You are getting good mileage there. It is good sense of achievement isn't it image.

MD - Agree take both woman image

Everyone else happy running
  • Options

Blimps, there could be a correlation between training harder and getting injured? I tend to train by HR but find that after a while (when it felt really slow) I got much more efficient and the pace for any given HR was considerably higher last year training for IM - I ran a 45min 10k in training with the HR ave about 165 (which is the top end of zone 2 for me). It took a while to get to that point but it then became much easier, also when training suchh large volumes I need something to stop me overcooking it and destroying myself. Good luck for tonight, I'm sure that you will smash it up!

Unfortunately only one of the 3 who were supposed to view the house yesterday turned up, so i am not too amused, but she seemed nice enough - American Actress - unfortunately not Angie...I wish it was! And as a result i was sat at home getting annoyed so didn't get to train yesterday. but i should get to turbo for an hour tonight - or i could try a nice 8 steady miles. will decide when i get home

• Options

Hello All

Im Bored image I want to run.... but I wont. So I hope you are all getting out there doing a bit for me  image

The good news is that ankle is feeling alot better today so im thinking the 2weeks rest is definately in order.

MD - So have you decided to go with the one that turned up then? Hope you get some training in later.

Em - Glad you survived Legoland. Hope your legs ease soon and you get a run in.

NV - Good run there, yep I keep a running diary too it is motivational isn't it.

Grant - Just between you and me im not missing City2Surf for anything! and I wasnt told no I couldn't do it..... Awesome work on your run this morning.

Blimpy - Good Luck in your race tonight!!

Andrew - Well Done on the 12mile bike ride, Hope you get out for a run later

• Options

Claire - I am fed up too, stuck in with the kids as don't have any childsitters til later.  Take the pressure off and just do the race for pure enjoyment, you could run/walk it if your ankle was still playing up.

Blimpy - Good luck for tonight, I don't know how you can do it, my central govenor stops me before I get anywhere near vomiting!

MD6 - After I finish this round of training I am going to give the HR thing a try, but I am not sure if I went by HR I would even break into a trot.  How many flat mates are you looking for?, is the actress a runner too?

Andrew - Go running, sometimes I go when I am tired and surprise myself.

My plan for today is to run about 10m to the running club, run with them then get a lift home. Don't know if it will come off as there is alot of other stuff going on but keep your fingers crossed for me.

• Options

Hi guys!  Haven't been on here for a while. Nice to see the usual friendly faces!  I had a cancer scare in the Spring but fortunately it turned out to be nothing. Phew-weeeeeeeeeeee!  Then I had a foot injury running! However, I have perserved with running.  I finished the beginner's 8 week training course and now run with a buddy.  We did the Race for Life last month and our time according to our Garmins was 29 mins 20 secs so pretty pleased with that.  I admit it's more of a fun run - and it was a bit of an obstacle course in the beginning... a bit like the wacky races!  And we did stop to walk a bit up two hills. So all things considered, not a bad time in all.

Anyway, I can run 6 miles now  yes, me, really) - my usual time is between 1hr 4mins and 1hr 6mins - so not particularly fast but I'm happy to be building up the distance.  I try to run at least 4 miles each time I go out.  Hills are getting easier too.

Hope all is good with everyone image

• Options
    MissyK - Great to see your still running. Well Done on your RFL time and glad the scare came to nothing, Great News!!

Em - Yep that's what I'm planning, just get round and enjoy it. image Hope you manage to get out for a run later.
  • Options

Hi all

It went pear shaped, didn't do the run I was intending to do. Instead went to the running club and did 5m, what a difference rested legs make.  Managed 1min and 20 secs faster per mile than last run.

Very busy over the next few days so a very quick pop in.

• Options

Hello!

I'm a newbie, tentatively dipping my (bruised!) toe into the thread!

I've always been an exercise junkie who avoided running unless absolutely necessary, but 2 months post second pregnancy I decided getting out for a run was easier than making a trip to the gym (weather helped lot!), 2 bruised big toes later I decided I was addicted to running (or jogging more like) and should purchase some properly fitted running trainers. So, 2 months into running and I'm very much enjoying myself!

My goals for now are:

• To run 10k in 60mins or under (currently taking me 72 on a hilly course)
    • To run the 2k hill to my house without stopping.

Hope you don't mind me joining in!!

• Options
    Morning all,

Welcome Holly. Sounds like you are on the right track. have you got a training plan?

Blimps - How'd the race go?

Em, 5 miles fast is worth 9 steady I reckon image

Good to see you back MK. Looks like you're progressing nicely image

When are you off to Oz Claire?

My family are all now packed off to Ireland. I spent ages packing and repacking the car for Mrs NV last night so didn't get my ride done. Looking to get a solid week of training in now while it's quiet at home.
  • Options

Hello RHR,  sounds like a plan.  You must be at a pretty good level of fitness to already be tackling 10k after only 2 months running. Go you! The right footwear definitely makes a huge difference. 

Oz? Claire? I'll have to look back through the threads. I'm envious!

Enjoy Ireland NV and family.  Despite what some people say, it doesn't always rain.