Options

Newbies 2

Comments

• Options

Just managed a 6.5 mile run in 59.5 mins. For some reason map my run added it to 1 hr 3 mins but when you add together the time for each mile it is 59.5 mins exactly. I had a lucozade energy drink and a banana 2-3 hours before the run and I still felt sick a few times. It doesn't affect my run which is good. I wonder if it gas in my stomach because I did notice that I felt like I wanted to burp too.

• Options

Did an aerobics class today- not really my cup of tea but I did enjoy the stretching, if not the music! Then I went for a run tonight and felt the aerobics kicking in  (exercising twice in one day is not agood idea at my age!!), so curtailed my plans and went for one fastish (for me) mile (7:45) and a slow one- actual sunshine this evening, which threw me a bit!

Am also going to really get hold of my diet- going to cut put the sugar tomorrow (and I love chocolate, so it'll be tough!), and try to drink water...have to break the cycle of sugar highs and lows! Maybe I'll join GP3 in his banana-related efforts?? One good thing is that I am actually having something for breakfast!!!

If you get a break in the weather and you like the sun- enjoy your running! If like me, you prefer rain- I guess we won't have long to wait!!image

• Options

Gah! (Again!)

A long weekend with no running as we were away in Wales (to be fair, I did try to keep fairly active) and I've not done anything since my last posting.

That said, I managed my 5K tonight before tea. Had originally intended it to be a four miler, but I rapidly realised that I'd left it too long since the last run and that common sense would be a better guide than ambition!

Not a great time (38:52), but it's a slightly different route than before with more dodgy "cross the main road here" events and some seriously overgrown trees to contend with on a narrow footpath.

I'll try to do as much as I can this week, as we're away again for a week at the end of July and for yet another week in August.

At least there should be plenty of Geocaching and dog-walking to keep me busy while we're on holiday.

Good running, Newbies 2! 

• Options

Hi guys.

Well done on your Outlaw time, NV, outstanding effort for your first.  So, when's the next one?!

What's happened to the old gang?  I see Claire is still here image but what happened to everyone else?

• Options

Hey Blimpy, how's it going? S&O has been pretty busy and haven't heard from her in a couple of months. MD pops in from time to time, but that's about it now.

Another IM? I'd book one like a shot but Mrs NV has put her foot down and said it takes too much training time....

...so I'm considering one in Northern Ireland in August. Not a word image

• Options

Hi NV, it's going great!  I'm still coaching and my athletes are regularly PB-ing (is that a word?!), I'm running regularly and am not far away from being fully race fit again. 

Is August not a bit too soon after Outlaw?  Mind you, you're experienced enough at this stage so you know yourself...

So are there still newbies coming into the thread?

• Options

EMarkM- you must be running on the same road as me-all this rain has turned the trees into triffids, so I'm having to cross busy roads and run on very dodgy pavements.

Don't even get me started on dog poo...Plus last night something very weird- a bright shiny thing, right in my eyes...coming from somewhere up in the sky...it's back again today in the North of England but apparently will disappear again tomorrow behind the things that make the rain...

• Options
    MDL, you were clearly drunk.

A bright shiny thing indeed!

Don't do it again!!
  • Options

You're probably right Blimpy. That distance is a bit addictive though. There is an option for a half as well on the same day image

Still raining here as well. Mangrove swamp is coming along nicely, and next door's cat got eaten by a shoal of piranha whilst attempting to crap on what used to be my lawn so not all bad news from the weather. 

• Options

Well, as predicted the Bright Shiny Thing (BST) disappeared and it was pleasantly cold and slightly windy out on the roads tonight. Eight days to go until my first ever race, so I've taken advice and not pushing it too much. Was aiming for a 30 min 5K, and got back in 27...I really am rubbish at pacing myself...

Also got beeped by White Van Man (again), who should've gone to Specsavers...image

NV- no mangrove swamps up here, but some tiny 'rescue radishes' (50p from B&Q)I put in a few weeks ago have now gone to seed and are about 4 feet high and covered in white flowers- we all love the rain!!!

• Options

Second attempt at my new 5K route this morning. It's less hilly than the one I've been running for the last few weeks, but my time on Wednesday night was rubbish! (See above.)

I was recovering from many days of non-running due to a short family holiday, though, and the weather was so hot that evening.

This morning's much cooler run was a lot faster, and I think a new PB over this distance since I started running again this year. (Haven't got any PBs from when I used to run years ago, as I never really made a note of times, just rough distances).

Run Time: 35:28
    Stopped Time: 0:00
    Distance: 3.11 miles
    Average: 11:24 /mile
    Fastest Pace: 8:11 /mile
    Ahead of Best Run: 3:23 (that's this route; also a PB by 7 seconds overall at this distance)

Not displeased with that image

Have a great weekend, everyone. 

• Options

Not posted in a few weeks but I have been keeping on top of my running. Just thought I'd pop in, say hi and ask a quick question.

On Tuesday I am running the half marathon distance for the first time. This is not any official event, just me going out and running. My question is, if it's not an official 'organised' event can I still claim I have run a half marathon? I know it won't be an official time, not bothered about that, just whether I'd be fooling myself if I started thinking, 'Well that's a half marathon done!'.

• Options

Just joined Runnersworld! I am also new to running and training for my first ever marathon in April. Excited! but very nervous at how fast time is going and those 26 miles seem impossible at the minute. 

• Options
    Welcome, Rebecca. Keep us informed regarding your training image
  • Options
    Well I've not been on here for a while but I've done my first run for a while. It was hard going but im glad I've done it now but it was slow going.

My stats are:

time 49:01

Ave min/km 8.11

Cal 2518

Miles 6k

i know this is slow but i hope to build it up over the next couple of days. My next run will be on Wednesday. Lets see if i can beat my time. image
  • Options

Hi guys.

Just a little word of advice for all the new runners - don't get fixated on trying to beat your times on every training run.  Also, don't run the same route - mix it up by running different distances, run over hills, different speeds, different types of run etc.  If you run the same route at the same speed all the time, you simply won't improve.

And no, if it's not a race you can't claim to have run a half marathon - sorry. image

You should try that Ironman, NV, you'll still have all the training in your legs (and arms) from your first, so just go for it!

As for me, did 10 1/2 miles yesterday, but it was very slow - an average of 8:37 per mile, I tried to force the pace but it just wasn't happening.  Will try some speed work tomorrow and see what happens.

• Options

Hey...thanks for the advice, Blimpy...I am realising how important it is to get some variety, and to avoid 'going for it' every single time...for a start it's boring, and secondly you get to a pint where you can't see any improvement anyway, which is demotivating. Having said that I had an awful run last night-set off too fast, did OK for the first mile, got a stitch, ran through it, got another one and had to walk (which I hate doing) for a bit before picking up a pathetic jog back...in my last few days before my first ever race (5K) I am going to do a bit of exercise (might do a swim) and ONE more run...probably Thursday night before Sunday...does that sound OK? If so, maybe just a slow 5K?

After that, a bit if a rest then start to work  up to 10K, see what it feels like- have only really done about 4.5 miles before so we'll see if I like it, and if I don't, I won't do it- so there! image

Happy running everyone!

• Options
    It sounds a but eliteist to me if only official events count as running that distance. I've run proper races, 5k, 10k, and I know the difference between the race and just running the distance. I'm not mad on organised events personally, I prefer running on my own. If someone on here runs 10k today is anybody in here really going to tell them, 'no that doesn't count, you didn't pay an entry fee so you've not run 10k'. Don't get me wrong, I'm not someone who would go around saying I've just run a half marathon, but I would tell them I've run a half marathon distance.
  • Options

Hi Di.

A swim is a great idea, however, a 5K is not.  At this stage, you won't achieve anything by running the race distance so close to race day.  If you were one of my athletes, well, you wouldn't be running the race - too early by the sounds of it - but, if you were one of my athletes, I'd rather you ran a slow-ish 4K today, swim tomorrow and maybe a 2 miler on Thursday, rest Friday and a 20 minute walk (not power walk) on Saturday. 

As for the 10K, what's the rush?  To give you an idea, one of my new athletes started running in January and can now run 7 miles without stopping.  I won't let her race, she's not ready.  I don't want her first 5K taking over 30 minutes, so she'll have to keep working until I think she can get under the 30, then she can race.  You need to be able to comfortably complete over-distance in a respectable time, otherwise you'll be wondering if you can make it on race day and therefore won't enjoy it as much.  Good luck with it!  image

• Options
    You are aware this is a newbie thread and most of us are casual runners and not aiming at being hardcore Olympiads?
  • Options
    Hi All

Hey Blimpy nice to see you back image why you not letting her race yet?? I take over half hour on a 5k. Just interested, as races as you know are so so different than training runs.

Hope everyone's running is going well. I completely wore myself out was very ill and took a week off training. Have been out and done a track speed session this morning - yep I know not best thing to go back with but it's all I had time for. Got the dentist next image
  • Options

Cheeze, I'm well aware this is a Newbies thread - if you look at posts from 3 - 4 years ago, you'll see I was around then.  As for being 'hardcore Olympians', what I've listed is nowhere near Olympic standard, it's aimed at totally casual runners!

Hi Claire, I don't want her to be out running for a very long time and anyway, I'm looking at her to be on the Cross Country team so she needs to be 'up to speed', so to speak.  As for doing a track speed session as soon as you've come back from injury - tsk, tsk!!! image

• Options
    You know me I'm a rebel image
  • Options

Hey Blimpy - thanks v.v.much for the advice- please don't take me too seriously - I only entered the Race for Life in May and have been running since then, mostly so I can raise a bit of money for a good cause and in the process not let my mum down, who has had three heroic brushes with the Big C. To start with I thought I'd like to just get round (ie not really 'Race' as such, more an  'avoid walking'!!), as I am VERY OLD (47!!) and have always hated running- not any longer!

I found over the past few months that I could do 5K comfortably in under 30, then in about 27mins, and if I push (ie twice in the time I've been doing this) under 25, but none of this was achieved particuarly scientifically, and only when there was a full moon (!). I don't really know what a respectable time is, although I have checked out age grading. I'm not with a club and don't intend to be...just having a go and quite liking it. Your advice sounds great though (one of the great things about this thread is how supportive everyone is!!).,so I will indeed run slowly, swim a bit and have a walk...then see how it goes on Sunday, which I'm very much looking forward to.  And I'm certainly not in a hurry to do 10K, just intrigued to see if someone like me can do it, and then see what happens after that...it's all new to me, and I suspect I'll be a newbie for quite sometime!! Cheers! image 

Claire - hope you are feeling better!

• Options

Hi all.

You're very welcome, Di - that's what I love coming on here for - giving advice.  You're not old at 47, I'm 45 and still running relatively quickly, although it does take more of an effort now! 

In terms of 'respectable times', I say anything under 30 minutes for 5K is good, under 25 minutes is very good and under 20 minutes is superb.  Given the right training programme and diet regime, I think anyone is capable of going sub 20 minutes - if I can do it then anyone can!

Of course you can run 10K, you can do anything if you set your mind to it! image

Hi to everyone else.

• Options

Welcome back, Claire, hope you're feeling a lot better and that your dentist is not too cruel...

• Options

Thanks, Blimpy- really looking forward to it now! We'll see how old I am on Sunday!!!

• Options

Morning all.

Glad you're looking forward to the race, Di, I'm sure you'll do really well.

Just off for a 3 - 4 miler before my 7 mile race tomorrow evening, then it's to the gym for weights and core work - grrrrr lol.  Add in a coaching session tonight and I'm a busy boy today - love it!

• Options

Thanks guys, I'm feeling better just bit sore from the needle image dont like dentists but they are very necessary when you have tooth ache.

Went for a little run this morning, just kept it short and sweet and at a nice pace that we could chat away at. Will be out again on Saturday morning.

MDL - Good Luck in the race, cant wait to hear all about it image

Mark - Hows your running going?

Blimpy - Hope you had a good run this morning then weight session. Good Luck in your race tomorrow.

• Options

Claire - slow at the moment! I'm in between three (!) family holidays now, and not getting much done. We're away next week, then back for a week, and then away for a final week at the beginning of August.

I'm hoping to be active on holiday, but won't be running as such. My aim is to get back into doing three 5Ks a week when we finally return, gradually increasing one of them to 10K over a period of the next month or so.

Feeling a little sluggish on account of not running much recently, but still feel massively healthier (is that even a phrase?) compared to how I was when I first started posting on this thread back in, ooh April I suppose.

I have the dentist the week I get back from that last holiday. Fortunately, she's very niceimage