Options

Newbies 2

Comments

• Options

hi all,

sorry not been arond much injured my back 3/4 weeks ago moving boxes at home, so not been training.  I have my first 5k in September and really worried I am not going to get the training in to enable me to complete this.  any advice greatly received, feeling bit low about it just now 

• Options
    Sam sorry to hear your injured. Best advice can give is to get right first before training or racing. I know it's probably not what you want to hear but there are always other races and it's no point causing more injury. Hugs!! Have you seen anyone about it? What's been said??

Mark we all get times like that where life gets in the way. Just keep at it and you'll be back soon image as for running slow don't worry about that I did 4 miles yesterday at 11min mile pace just couldn't go faster or further...
  • Options

Thanks Claire, I saw the doc he said i'd strained muscles in my lower back, due to go back next week so keeping fingers crossed, it seems ok now, particulalry in last few days.  I have the 5k end of Sept and 10 k start of Oct so quite worried about it, 10k is for charity 

• Options
    Fingers crossed for you. Take it easy and hopefully you'll get all clear from doc. Don't over do it training wise though just take it steady and cover the distance don't at all worry about time. Can even adopt a run/walk strategy to get you round lots of people do it. Just make sure your alright first and as said don't worry about training days you've lost, don't over train to make up for it. Work out your weeks to go and do a gradual steady build up to the distance have couple days rest before hand and you will be fine. image let us know what doc says
  • Options

thing is i was only just getting to the stage of being able to run a mile before i had to stop, i'll pretty much have to start again i'm guessing - but thank you Claire

• Options
    5k is 3.1miles for my first races I never did the distance till the day the adrenaline on the day will get you round, plus you will want to finish so do as I did on marathon just keep moving forward! And your wining. If you nearly got to a mile your a third of the way there. First run out just go see how you do on the run you were doing before. I know you will do it image and you can do it!! Try not to worry first step see what doc says. If you want any help or chat not on forum you can message me no problems.
  • Options

thats very kind of you Claire thank you.  Yes first see what doc says.  Must admit i have missed the running.  I was training indoors but this time I am going to do outdoors...prefer the fresh air anyway image

• Options

Hey! Ok, so I did my first ever proper run - the R4Life yesterday, and boy was it HOT! I tried to remember the 'run with your head' for the first mile advice,and took it easy, especially cos the hills (not real ones, but they felt like it in the heat!) were at the start...it was a lovely course and a really great atmosphere with lots of encouragement. I kept a reasonable pace and found myself overtaking a bit, and also taking advantage of sections where there was some shade/flat and a bit of downhill...I knew it wasn't going to be a fst one, and at one point wondered whether I would make it in 30 mins...as it was I did it in 27:34, which I was quite pleased with - it's a start anyway. What really surprised me is that, according to my son and partner, I came either 7th or 8th?!! I know that no-one overtook me, and that I definitely sped up at the end. I also know that it wasn't a fast race overall, and that lots of women walk the whole thing. EVEN SO!! As my son said, to come 7th-ish out of 2,000 sounds good, and I have to say it was great fun. On reflection I could have gone off a bit quicker, but I was really worried about tiring too quickly and again the sun really bothered me- you kow how I like to run in the rain!! hey ho- a rest today then back on it tomorrow. Thanks to you Claire, Mark, NV and (more recently) Blimpy for the advice...have entered another 5K in Manchester for September, this in addition to the 4 mile trail run will give me three events for the summer...who'dathought??

Sam- good luck with your recovery from injury- Sod's Law that 'real life' chucks a spanner in the works of our running plans??!!

• Options

Hello everyone!

I'm Wyn and I've just started running.

I'm sure I'll learn a lot of good things from you guys here image

• Options

afternoon all...welcome new newbies!

Blimpy are you back causing arguments again!?!?!?! image image I do agree with what you've said (over the few pages i could be bothered reading back over anyway). Its definately best to get comfortable to go over distance before racing - well up to a point. I'm not sure many people will ever be comfy going over mara distance ever, let alone in training!

• Options

Hey...isn't it great when the big ball of fire in the sky goes down and it's cool enough to run? Can't complain mind you, but it is amazing how soon the novelty of the sun wears off??!!

Off on holiday next week- camping near Abersoch, so I really hope we keep the weather...was thinking of trying some beach (barefoot?) running- has anyone done this? Is it as ace as it sounds? Any advice??? I'm actually looking forward to swimming in the sea more than anything else!!

• Options

Hey all image

Cheeze, fwiw I agree with Blimpy on this one. If you tell someone you've run a half marathon, the follow up question will be "Which one?". GPS are never that accurate either so there's no guarantee that it was half mara distance. It's amazing how often you see little huddles of people after a race comparing their Garmins and complaining that the course was short/long despite some bloke with a measuring wheel going round and certifying it accurately beforehand.

MDL, well done on your 5k. And another one entered as well!! First of many...image

MD, where have you been hiding?

Still doing limited training and unlimited eating calling it recovery. At some point I'll have to get my finger out as I appear to have accidently pre-registered for Outlaw again next year. No idea how or when I'm going to explain that to Mrs NV. Going to be a lot of "Just nipping out for a paper dear" going on next year and coming home 6 hours laterimage

On the subject of accurately logged Garmin distances, it appears that mine recorded a 4.2km swim instead of a 3.8k. That may have something to do with my inability to swim in a straight line though.

• Options

NV, good name change! I am sure that i swam at least 4k in IM, for the same reason. I'm pre-reg for Outlaw too, but not decided on that or IMUK yet...but it will be one or t'other! not been hiding just been catching up with sleep life et al. Back to some form of training now, i have the Royal parks half to aim for and want to get sub 90...assuming i don't break on the way to the start line. Have a few 10ks as training and stuff too, oh and a few tris and London to Canterbury sportif too...

Cheeze, kinda agree with Blimps and NV, you can say you ran 13 miles or half marathon distance in a traiing run(quite a mouthful though), but not a half mara, because its only a half mara if its a race. image 

better go as i'm back to working, oh and i'm running home tonight too, its a bit warm

• Options

Hi all

I can see where you are coming from cheeze, I think if you have run hm distance then you have done just that, run hm distance. its just not official, who cares if anybody else counts it you should give yourself a pat on the back for making that landmark distance. thats my personal view. I'm also not that fussed about races myself, as long as i can see myself improving over speed and distance thats whats important & by running a hm distance you can get an idea where you are at fitness wise in comparison to others who have run this distance. I would stop short of saying i had ran a half marathon though as a marathon in itself is defined as an event and race. Of course if you have been running a while and your pb's are improved by tenths or secons rather than minutes you would want a more accurate distance to measure improvement. 

• Options

MD, one word: Outlaw!!!! I've tried to get into the Royal Parks a couple of years running now. Supposed to be a great race.

Just entered a marathon in Lincolnshire in October. image

• Options

NV I am leaning that way, the gf's family are in Derby so i could stay there and save a lot of hassle, and I can drive over there on the morning to race. Nice and easy.  I think the only thing stopping me is that I like the IM branded thing, thats the only downside to dong Outlaw...what's the bike course like? If it isn't too much climbing so i can lash the TT silly (I want a sub 11) and still be able to run then that's decision made...i think, nearly image Good luck for the mara - its nice to have a focus, but please don't do what I did for Dublin and take the 'its only a marathon, I'm an Ironman' attitude because it hurt. What time are you going for?

Well i've managed 2 runs in 2 days, ran home from work yesterday 5.8 miles in 42'29. Not the fastest but in the heat (32 degrees) with a backpack i'm not too disappointed at all. Then this morning i managed a nice solid 2.8 miles (cut short due to olympic shite shutting the park, roads, etc. i can't wait for it to start and then finish... anywy 2.8 miles in 21 mins something, splits were 8'08, 7'26 and the last bit was at 6'50 pace. Nice and easy! feet are blistered and battered now though, need new shoes! So that's the plan at lunch.

• Options

I remember your ill-fated Dublin mara MD. No, I needed a focus to get me training again. I was in danger of having to enter some short, fast, painful races so it was either find a long race or start doing intervals. There isn't much I won't do to avoid them! Time? Dunno. Reckon I should be 3:30 or thereabouts but we''ll see.

Bike course is pretty flat at Outlaw, something like 2000ft of climbing with only one lump of any note and I span up that without gettng out of the saddle. It was quite windy this year but that apparently isn't usual for the area. Run course is very flat as well, although neither are as flat as the swim image Good course for a fast time with your biking. The organisation is spot on. I've never been much of a brand chaser, it had a good reputation and the timing suited me so I didn't really even consider alternatives.

• Options

that's a good enough review for me, Outlaw it is then. It fits with the other plus points i had, including timing and location. Well that was an easy decision to make! I might try and swim Taiwan 70.3 if i have to go back this year...with free flights and the hotel being covered for most of the stay by my work i reckon that could be a good one, and the quality of the feild there isn't great so might get a reasonable result...he he he

3'30 is a very solid time to aim for, I'm going to run London next year (if i get in the ballot) or 14 come what may, i think i want to go for 3'20 or 3'15. But that will depend on form and fitness - i think Dublin last year pre injury i was going really well and my 15mile training runs were about 7'10 pace very comfortably too. Just need to rediscover that. Although my commute home the other day according to the garmin i did the first mile at 5'30 pace???? (moving time anyway) I don't think i can run that fast but if i did that's awesome.

• Options

Hey MD, how's things? I'm not causing any arguments at all, just saying how it is!

Well done on your run, Di, you will get quicker and quicker from now on - a positive frame of mind is half the battle!

Rosko, if an endurance runner is only improving by 10ths of a second, then their training is all wrong lol!

Hi to everyone I didn't mention. image

• Options

Hi Guys

Sorry life kinda been getting in the way. Have been out for a few runs nothing special but I am getting onto a running track now so getting to have a good go at speed work. Still slow but im hoping it will pay off in a bit. We are doing relays tonight on a kinda trail route, should be good fun. As its the opening of the Olympics the team I am in have decided to go for a Torch Relay, with torches image not seen the top im wearing tonight but it should be a laugh.

Di - Awesome work Well Done!!!!

Wyn - Hi welcome So what running have you been doing?

MD, NV, Blimpy, Rosko Hi image hope all your training is going well

• Options

Hi Blimps, I'd expect nothing less than saying as you see it! Yeah going ok slowly getting back to form fitness and some motivation. Been a bad year on that front since i had to pull out of Dublin last year injured. Not really got back to anything. Still I'm back in the game and starting to get a bit fitter, running faster easier off less training so that all bodes well.

Hi Claire! track sessions are great for improving speed. i just don't like to do anything that hurts... enjoy the torch relay. It'll probably be more fun than the real thing that went past my office yesterday, i don't see what the fuss is about - just hurry up and start the races already!

well better get going and do some work - hi all those i didn't mention! image

• Options
    Morning all, long time no seeimage

Not sure how often I'll be able to get on here but it'll be as often as I can. You were all fab the first time I started and made a huge difference.

So here I am, 6 years, 4 stone and 2 kids later. This time I have to stick with it, I want to be able to have fun running around with my children and they deserve to have a mummy that's able to do that.

Went out for my first run/walk on Wednesday. I took it very very steady and was pleasantly surprised that it was much easier than I'd thought it would be. With 2 littlies to look after I can't risk breaking myself so slow and steady it is. If I remember rightly it's time on my feet that counts and anything is better than nothing.
  • Options

Hi all. I haven't been here for a few years but its good to be backimage Advice needed, i have started jogging 'properly' the last 2-3 weeks as i signed up for Bupa Great Birmingham Run 2012, i have upt my current pace to 3 miles with a little bit of a struggle but i have improved massively. I dont really have a schedule but i run for at least 40 mins 3 times a week, what do you suggest for next week? Do i do the same again?

Your sound advice is appreciatedimage

• Options
      I would get on a plan Dizzy if its you first time at that distance. Plenty of free ones around. Quite fancy that race myself actually.  

Hi Glowfeet, time on feet is good as long as you don't over do it. I think if you want to improve though some sort of structure would help. 

Blimpy, thats not what i said, but as usual i don't think i made my point very well at all. 

Iro nv just realized you did Outlaw congrats glad the hard work paid off. 

Im starting to get back to full fitness again after being injured for more than 2 months, which is a relief because you do start to wonder. Still lacking distance but speed is good. Ran 11.3 miles today @ 6:54 pace & looking good for a decent time at Robin Mood half mara. 

Hello Claire md6 & everyone else.

• Options

Hi guys.

You ran 11.3 miles at 6:54 per mile in training, Rosco??! image  That's awesome running, well done!

Slow but sure is the best way to come back, MD. No rush at all - good luck with it.

Hi to everyone else.

• Options
    Hi rosko, I'm following the beginners run walk schedule on here as much as I can. Trying to get out 3 nights a week once the littlies are in bed. I'm just not worrying about how slow I am.
  • Options

Hi guys.

You're right to start off like that, Glowy.  Once you're up to 3 or 4 miles without walking/stopping, then you can start to think about speed. image

I'm just off for an 8 miler before a 5K race on Wednesday. 

Hope everyone else is running away, injury-free. image

• Options

Hey everyone...back in the groove and three runs in a week- going to up it to every other day (off on hols tomorrow, but going to try to keep it up).

Found a lovely new route last night with a hill to start with (half a mile?), followed by a scenic 3 miles...just enjoying it for a bit, then going to start working on a bit of speed? Did 2 miles in 15 mins the other day...for once didn't set off too slow, and managed the whole thing at a fairly constant pace- I seem to be ok over this distance, but now need (or would like) to build up to a faster 5K...from what everyone has said its about getting beyond the 5K on a regular basis, so that's what I'll do, but first hopefully a decent week in 'sunny' (?) Abersoch..image

• Options
    Claire Hardman wrote (see)

Wyn - Hi welcome So what running have you been doing?

Thanks Claire!

I started off doing too much (4 mile-ish sessions) and my legs were starting to get angry, so I've bought some proper running shoes (Nike Free Runs) and have dialed it down to between 2 and 2 and a half mile session, 3 times a week.

So far so good! image