Options

2009 Albert Bartlett Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Options

Wow Kiwi...you are up early!!! I thought I'd be on my own in here with my shreddies!Morning to you and Smiffie.

I've been off running with a cold now for a week - not happy about it!!

• Options
    I love this marathon
  • Options

MORNING KIWI!
    And Smiffie and Running Ranger and me too Plodding Hippo image)

Looks loverly outside but I'm too late to run now... take my stuff for a wee lunch time jaunt methinks

.... back to the weetabix......
  • Options

Morning all, more folk moving in all the time image 

Hi Flying Ant good to see ya again, sounds like you've had a good rest and are 'flying' again with your 90 mpw!!

I've got the doc this afternoon about my arm, its still no better, so hope to get it confirmed as either golfers elbow or similar and then I'll know icing, brufing it etc will be helping it! Seeing my ruuning doc so we can have a blether about Sunday aswell lol image Talking of Sunday I was so wanting a PB which I will still start off with the intention of going for but its probably less likely I will get it with my arm and general laziness of training!!! imageimage

Neil you were asking about enrgy drinks on Sunday, as far as I can see from the GSR leaflet it only says water! We'll need to take our own then eh!

Hi everyone else,we all settling in?

• Options

Morning!image

yaaay everyone is here now !!!! xximageimage

Im wondering ......still feel wiped out but i could do wit some fresh air !.....should i go for a wee run see how  im feeling with that,or jist a cycle?.....whats best testing things out or resting till sunday?...bearing in mind its only the 10k im in for?image

• Options

Oh laugh only a 10K Amber, you marathon runner you image  I'd say rest til Sunday, maybe an easy 3 miles tomorrow, but nothing too hard.......

Good luck at doctors Bungee, hope it goes well so you can go for that PB........

Molly, wow thats come round so fast, enjoy........ GOOD LUCK image

I'm running lunch time too, struggling to fit running in at all now at home with kids on my own,especially evenings cause once they are in bed can't do anything. Got to get more organised  WILL RUN TODAY.......  5K race on Sunday (Hydra Light), which I really want to do, but don't know if OH is going to look after kids or not....... image

People contacted me about treadmill and are going to see if they can get an engineer to come and look at, fingers crossed cause that would solve a LOT of problems........

Hiya Flying Ant, I'd entered Abingdon, but 'stuff' has got in the way so withdrew.  Focusing on Berlin with Soph on 28/09.  Let us know what it is like............

Right better do some work or the run will get missed again.........

• Options

Hello, I'm doing the Glasgow half this Sunday too and fully expecting a PW having done very little since May!  I naively thought that after the marathon, getting faster in shorter races would be no problem but I was wrong! (Although to be fair maybe I just didn't put the effort in!).

Good luck for Sunday to everyone who's doing it (and any other races this weekend too!)

• Options

Hiya Betty feel free to try to say hi to a few of us at the front of City Chambers if we all manage to meet up lol I'll put my green ribbon on but don't know what I'm wearing yet will prob  be my Fetch T shirt with BUNGEE on the back or may be a my Fetch vest if its mild. Just take it easy and enjoy it and don't worry about the time!

Hi Smiffie hope you manage out for your run. Hopefully arm isn't anything bad, its just very hard to rest it when you use it all the time!!!

Amber if it was me I would go for a wee cycle, if you are wanting a PB then rest up but if not then you could try a wee run?

• Options

smiffie,

I'll let you know how Abingdon is after i've run it, apparently its a new course this year, sorry to hear you had to pull out, but i think quite a few have withdrawn from Abingdon this year, my mate got a spare place due to someone dropping out as he was on the 'waiting list' .

Biggest issue i had with Edinburgh last year, and also the year before was the bleeding wind, anyone know the forecast for 31/05/2009 yet  ????

• Options

Morning all.  Not a good start to day for me had a puncture and car is now in getting two new tyres - could have done without that cost this week.

Great to see everyone on this thread now.  A Watson - those are some impressive times.  I can't help much on how to predict marathon race times though as I ran a 1:33 half 2 months before Ed '07 but could still only manage 3:53 in the marathon.  Aiming for a sub-3:30 sounds like a good plan though.

I'm also in for Sunday's GSR, have white number 11834.  I keep getting distracted from training though and am no where near my best.  Will be happy enough if I can get close to 1:45.

Glad you're feeling better Amber.  I'd rest until Sunday if I were you.  Glad you're thinking marathons again for 2009 and dismiss 10K as a "short" run.

Good luck Molly

Hi to everyone else, bedshaped, smiffie, kiwi, soph etc.  Hope you get that treadmill fixed smiffie.

Oh I keep forgetting - welcome back Running Ranger - glad you're not still getting lost in Livingston

• Options

Hi folks. This thread is positvely pulsating at the moment image

Hello to peeps who have migrated from the 2008 thread !

Hello to new peeps on the 2009 thread !

Hello to Plodding Hippo whose legendary status I shall honour with an  individual greeting !!!

8 mile muddy run in the wrong shoes last night. Not my fault except that I hadn't been down to the Wednesday session for a while so didn't know they had started to go off-road. image. Having surveyed the damage to my shoes, which have already clocked up 450 miles, I may need to break the golden rule and buy new shoes on Saturday then race in them the day after.

• Options

Bungee - re drinks, aye you're right, checked last night, water only. Will stock up on gels to take en route. Looking forward to Sunday - though have a long wait when I get there cos my girlfriends doing the 10k and we need to be there for that starting at 9am (comin fae Edinburgh) - 1½ hours before the half starts. Will hole up in a coffee shop somewhere. Lookin forward to it.

Neil.image

• Options

OMG you lot not got anything better to do!! Hiya Andy, lurk away. Quite a few(probably about 6 nutters) not doing this one but on here anyway. They need me to organise stuff and babysit.

Sorry i don't like this marathon but like the folk that do it. image

• Options

imagehi guys !

.....seeing as even my massive ironing pile knackerd me today.. i agree rest is prob best idea!

hi karen ......we sure do need you for the organising !!image

lots folk doing races this weekend then !.

molly ...didnt realise you were doing a marathon sunday!!...cant wait to hear how you do!

yeah the 10k starts at 9am image so like neil it will be an early drive through for me as well .

• Options
    PMSL at your beep message on the '08 thread Amber
  • Options

Hiya all. Hope you get on okay with your arm Bungee. Glad you're feeling a bit better Soph and you too Amber. Soph you're running Sunday are you not?  Maybe see you too Betty on Sunday?

Hiya FlyingAnt. I've looked into my crystal ball and predict the weather for next year's Edinburgh Marathon to be................... wind! Sorry!!! imageHow you doing?  Good to have you with us!

Hiya Andy, thanks for the bet! And Smiffie! Anyone fancy some points on Fetch? I'm sooo worth a bet on Sunday - honest! 

NeilMac - yeah I was offered a lift by someone going for the early 10k start. I decided it was a bit too early. Now I'm getting the train in a roundabout kinda way but from Linlithgow (starting near Dunfermline!) Gets me in nice and early with enough time to go ditch my bag at Glasgow Green before the nerves set in......

Very busy here eh? Hiya everyone I've missed (Karen, Plodding Hippo - hi, Smiffie - hope you get the treadmill sorted and you get the 5k on Sunday - kids won't notice you missing for 20mins or so!!!)

Final run for me tonight - maybe 6 miles? Did a spinning class today - OMG, how much hard work was that! Much much easier running image

• Options
    Spinning class hard, please!! image  Yep, running Sunday if I can breath... At this rate, may only do 10K!!  Lungs fubar...  Just looked at pollen counts and they are very high at the moment and it's the mould spores that affect me most. image  If one more person tells me I've got a cold still, there will be a texas chainsaw moment. image
  • Options

this is not on bank holiday this year is it

makes things a ta more tricky for me

• Options

Mind if I join in? After a couple of goes at not managing the Edinburgh marathon - One through illness and one because I fell down a rabbit hole on a mountain and knackered my calf three weeks before the marathon - have decided this time I will do it.

I'm probably starting from a lower level of fitness than everyone else here (not done a race for months) but I need to give myself a goal to aim for and i'll start after I get back from holiday.

Hope everyone's training is going well (is it too early to ask that yet?)

• Options

Hi all.In laws have just turned up so instead of going out for a few miles with the club we'll be getting fish and chips for tea.

I totally agree with you flying ant the wind was a bloody nightmare.It completely scuppered any P.Bs for the course.30 mph was a bit too much to have to run into for such a large chunk of the race.When you turned around it didn't matter that it was behind you because the damage was already done.Must go for a long run this weekend.Have only 1 month until The Jersey marathon and being in Turkey for 10 days means I have some really hard work to do now.Daughter is off to see a horror film tonight.The Strangers.Rather her than me .I am a real wuss when it comes to anything like that.I spend the whole time looking  at the floor.She is only 15 and absolutely enjoys them.I don't know where she gets it from.It certainly isn't me.I do my own disappearing act when it comes to anything like this.

See ya later.

Who is still thinking of doing the Edinburgh next year.I am completely 50/50 at the moment.I don't know. 

• Options

Will try and say hello on Sunday morning in Glasgow but will probably spend entire time between getting off the train and the start of the race in the toilet queue! 

Last year I seem to remember the big portaloo with mens urinals in it being a bit too exposed - everytime the door opened we got an eyeful of boys wee-weeing!  Maybe turn the other way this time!!

What are the green ribbon things?  Is it any green ribbon or a special RW one? 

• Options

Bedshaped whats the story with bags, can you  leave them in special tent at Glasgow green or what.

DCB, just trying to work out the best time to aim for in the Marathon, but got plent of time, prob not do specific training untill after the new year..

hallo to everyone else

Everybody GOOD LUCK allRACERS ON SUNDAY>

• Options

Hiya all- flying ant -good to see you again. kiwi too- yep that wind was just terrible, but bedshaped beat me to it- the forecast for next year will also be wind . Thats the bloody north sea for you. Lets move it!!

Thanks for all good luck wishes for my Sunday race . DCB, SMIffie, BUngee KAren . oh just everybody.

Tapering if GREAT- I'd forgotton just how wonderful it was. imageDid a jogette- 3 miles yesterday but thats all this week as i've only tapered for 2 weeks instead of 3.

Now- food for next 2 days..not more pasta..we were going out with friends for a meal tomorrow night but its cancelled 'cos they're collecting a brand new- yellow- BMW from Glasgow. Now- if anyone sees this car can you please make a suitable gesture at it as i was looking forward to going out. Thanks.

Ok- need beddy boos......work in the am then off til Monday.

Hope everyone well with lots of exciting race plans.

Hope families well and OHs- if they  deserve to be well

Oh yes- before i go.....where is Allan??

Molly XXXXXXXXXimage

• Options

Wow,

I missed one days worth of posts and there's an extra three pages to read through.

I have a good reason for missing a day though, my good lady wife was busy giving birth to our second child yesterday imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Baby Anna was born at 11:37 last night weighing 9lbs, mum and baby are both doing well.

• Options

Think Allan's still working out his Deal or no Deal strategy Molly - he was planning getting on the show! Glad you're enjoyihng your taper!! Can't believe you were dumped for a banana looking BMW!!!

Very gentle run for me tonight - 4 miles, on and off road, nice!

AWatson, yeah i believe that's the case. That's what I'm pinning my hopes on anyway!!! Don't think it's a particularly secure area so maybe not leave any valuables there image

• Options
    Aw LS that is such lovely news. Many congratulations to all of you. Aww, ickle baby image
  • Options
    My running partner is broken. My dog has hurt her foot and is not allowed to walk off a lead, never mind run. image
  • Options

LS that is truelly wonderful news, congratulations.  Your OH is clearly one of those that deserves to be well.  LOL at Molly's

Hope families well and OHs- if they  deserve to be well

My exOH falls well outside that category.  Which reminds me ((((((Smiffie))))))).

Only had time for a short run tonight.  Thought I'd see what speed I had in my legs.  5K in 21:45 (mile splits 6:43; 7:09; 7:07, 3 miles in exactly 21 min)  So I know I can 7 min / ml the question is for how long.  Not 13.1 I know that much, but have no real idea what I can do in Sunday's GSR.  My PB would require me to better 7:07 for the whole race no real chance of that but hope to manage something between 7:30 and 8 min/ml.

Night all