Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: BellyBoyBarnes (sub-3:00)

Comments

• Options

Fantastic sub 3 run H4RRY particularly with your build up-you must be delighted.

Tony -That's bad luck at missing out on a sub 3 by less than a minute but still a good run given the warm conditions. I'm sure you'll be back faster and stronger next year.

well done Steve-2:47:55. Another impressive display. To run as consistently well as you have done over the years is very impressive.

BBB-good to meet you on Saturday. Enjoyed your company. I hope you you're back to run sub 3 next year.

Thanks to all for their postings on this thread. I've picked up so many tips and different ways of training for a marathon that will stand me in good stead in the future.

• Options

Well run H4rry

yes in the weather, important not to go off too fast Tony. I tried and couldn't - 3:57 for first kilometre which was what I averaged overall and was about that pace in last km too.

As I didn't slow at all, don't think I can blame the weather in my case though - just not having trained hard enough this year due to niggles and work constraints.

Thanks Jason. This is my 34th year of marathon running after debuting in 1976 and while slow in comparison with my best times (set in 1980 and 1981), I'm probably in my  most consistent spell, having run 2:46, 2:43, 2:46, 2:43, 2:47 in last 5 Londons and a 2:42 at Austin and 2:46 in Wolverhampton the few years previous to that.

• Options

Hello Boys and gals,

H4rry, Well done, you are running really well looking at your races leading up to the marathon i would have been surprised if you did not achieve your target.image.

Tony,What can i say,It just was not your day ,im sure that when your sort the toilet issue you will be way under the sub 3.I've had big toilet problems in the past as my club runners will tell you.A change of my diet really helped.

Steve,Yet again with another solid marathon year in year out this man is still doing the bizz!

Rubert The Bear,With 3.14 looking for a sub 3.15 which will give him a good for age for the next 2 years,watch  your self boys this young man is getting faster.     

• Options
    that's the kind of streak I'd love to emulate... awesome consistency!
  • Options

I was in London for the weekend and even though it was really hard not to be running it, I had a fantastic experience watching it and have to say a really big thank you to RW, Lucozade and fasttrack for giving me the opportunity to improve my running over the last few months and for looking after me and my wife so well this weekend. I've learnt loads and hope to put it into practice as soon as I'm recovered and fit again. Steve's been a brilliant coach and Matt's nutritional advice has been a real eye opener for me. If this opportunity comes along again I would recommend it to anyone, it's been a fantastic experience.

WELL DONE THE SUPER SIX GIRLS  image, commiserations to the Super six boysimage. Girls you really left us behind this time!

Congratulations to everyone who ran yesterday, whether or not you got the time you wanted on the day, you should still be proud of yourselves for the tremendous cnmmitement and training that you've put in over the last 16 weeks or so. Although I do know a few more of the times, I don't think it's fair for me to post your times, as I know a few are dissapointed and need some time to reflect - but don't be too hard on yourselves as I know you will reach your goals in the future.

• Options

Hi BBB and well done to all you guys

Correction, I did 3h 13m 58sec ..... those two seconds mean a lot to me!!!   Just done a little analysis with the Garmin watch and realised I ran 26.52 miles in total but averaged 7:01 for the last 3.5 miles.  So without that burst we'd have been on the wire. I'm absolutely chuffed and you can't get the grin off my face!!  Great support from Jerome (PTH) who shared the pain from start to finish - we met by fluke after one mile. 

A huge thank you to all the PTH club for helping me achieve this but particularly BBB & MF for all those training sessions together and perhaps the defining moment for me when we did those 12 hill sprints up Goytre Hill a few months ago.  I think that made me wonder if I could seriously get anywhere near the magical 3:15.

I always say 'never again' - I've said it five times now!! - but as I've got automatic entry ..... who knows??

• Options

RTB - my apologies you are indeed a 3.13 man and not as my previous posting stated 3.14 - I have to agree with you those two seconds are everything.

Steve - hope your feeling ok and have no ill effects from the beerimage.

Steve I know you have been telling me this for months  - I've been checking a few of the sub 3 times and noticed that starting slower seems to be the way forward.      In all my previous marathons, I have failed to get get my sub 3 and when I next get to do a marathon it will definately be a slower start for me, regardless of what the legs and adrenaline say, it will definately have to be the head that rules. 

EOL - nice meeting up with you too, hope you recover soon and I'm sure we'll meet up on the circuit some time soon.     

• Options

BBB - sorry I missed you in London. How are you feeling?

Can I echo your thoughts by thanking everyone for their advice here on your forum - particularly Steve & Matt. Always good to hear a spread of views and find your own way through the maze to find what works for you.

• Options

Thanks to everyone and well done

BBB all the best for your recovery

Steve great run AGAINimage

Well pleased with my run,previous pb 3:1:25 Wolverhampton 1984, before 20 year rest  1986- 2006,couldn"t have been tryingimage

• Options

Hello Guys and Gals,

RTB, Feeling o k at the moment my walking is back to normal stil getting pains in the lower back and front area when doing certain things around house etc.

Has Anyone entered  any more marathons/races yet, i have place in the nottingham robin hood marathon in september, but i don't think i will be running it as it will be to soon.Perhaps i will enter a few shorter races later in year if i am very fit and healthy see how things pan out. 

Who's in for the Virgin London marathon next year?    

• Options

Afternoon all

I'm gutted I failed! only managed 3:02:47. That's a PB, but it just doesn't taste too sweetimage. I took 2 Min's off last year so I'm still going in the right direction. Just not fast enough, think I got too cocky and too confident. taught me one lesson, never under estamate the marathonimage

Well done Harry, nice to catch up before the race too.

Steve, well done to you too mate, thats a cracking run.

Tony, thats so close, well done mate.

RB, six seconds slower than Jerome, well done mate. I new you would do it.

BBB, I'm going to have a crack at Abingdon October 18th. Do you think you'll be up for it?

• Options

FL don't be too hard on yourself, still had a PB and going in the right direction, it will come. Which part do you think let you down? was your pace ok or just the day itself?

I've entered Nottingham as I had it deferred from last year but don't know if I'm doing it yet. I may just concentrate on some shorter distances for the remainder of the year once I'm recovered.

You are spot on with your comment about never underestimating the marathon - I think thats where a lot go wrong - any slight niggles will always show up within 26 miles.

• Options
    BBB, I have no excuses, I just didn't run fast enough!!! I went too slow from the start, put too much thought and trust into the garmin watch. The pace it was giving me was 6:47 avg pace. Came through 26.2 mile at 2:58 on the watch but it read 26:66 in the endimage. need to go back to the old fashion stop watch and just split every mile. And use my headimage.
  • Options

FL - Really sorry mate, didn't realised you'd broken the 3hr for the genuine distance - particularly cruel

I noticed the difference between the watch and the mile markers after a few miles and assumed they had placed the mile markers at the most convenient point and not with perfect accuracy. As the race progressed I realised the difference was increasing and we must have run significantly further than the racing line.  Fortunately we had set off averaging  7:20 pace and I knew that would probably hit the 3:15 exactly.  Luckly, we had enough juice in the tank to kick from 3 miles out at 7min pace and that 'bought' us the minute to spare at the finishing line.

• Options

RB, I never broke the genuine distance. just did the distance the watch was telling me!!! that was my point, don't rely on the watch! you have to start at the start and finish at the finish in under 3, end of story.

Does that make sense? I'm having a few more beers so may be talking rubbishimageimage.

the mile markers in London are(or should be) spot on.

• Options

FL, I do understand but still think you were unlucky so don't beat yourself up over it - you'll crack it soon.  Then we'll do some serious drinking!! image

• Options

FL - My Garmin was up a bit to 26.48 miles image but as you said its the course that counts. Dont be to hard on yourself....Like you said you PBed image

I wasnt happy with my performance, but know I let myself down by getting carried away at the start...big lesson learnt..

I did Abingdon last Occtober and did 2:58, which is why I beat my self up even more about my London time...

I might do Abingdon again this year, but I will be back at London next year to smash the 3hrs...

If you need any info on Abingdon please ask or Email me if its easier...and well done again for London 

• Options

Hi All,

FL,When i run london last year my garmin 305 showed that i had done 26.77 miles and after speaking to other runners their distances they recorded was around the same.I was told to follow the blue line but i could not understand why i would have run half a mile more.So i did a little research and everyone i asked was using the garmin 205 or the 305 and thought that the tunnel around the 23 mile mark was a big problem  with the garmin.

Steve,I believe you used the garmin 405 this year what was the the milage when you finished?Or did anyone else use the 405 or any other make of watch?  

• Options
    Tony, any info on Abingdon would be greatly received. Do you know how many they take as there are 750 odd entered already. does it fill up fast? and they say that the course is changing this year, will that make a difference?
  • Options

Hi all

Also on one of the other threads they were saying that the buildings around canary wharf were also interfering with the signals some watches were losing signals for a while.

• Options

BBB, but losing signal would have shortened the mileage. I had the same last year 26:75. but at the end of the day, no matter what the watch said I was still over 3 hoursimage. will use my Polar stop watch next time.

Have you entered for next year yet? Good for age, is it just send results and photo copy off driving licence? or is there a form that needs to be filled in? cant remember what I did last year!

• Options

BBB, can't see it being tall building etc as I'd detected we were getting behind the mile markers quite early on - which of course is where it is hardest to get anywhere near the blue line sometimes.

FL, you just need to snd a letter I think with proof of age - the new Virgin site in now online and found the 'GFA' area this morning::

http://www.virginlondonmarathon.com/marathon-centre/enter-2010-virgin-london-marathon/good-for-age-entries/

• Options

FL I've got a deferred entry from this year, as far as I know for GFA you just need a letter with your race number so they can check your time and a photocopy of proof of age, like driving licence or passport.

Losing signal wouldn't necessarily shorten your distance, as you are continuing to move it would still be calculating, as there would be a distance covered between signals - I'd need to show you to explain, as I know that doesn't sound right image

I'm hoping the Garmin 405 will have improved and eradicated all of that.

• Options

BBB - I used the 405 and had 26.48 miles.....I did lose the signal going through the tunnel you mentioned, but as RB said my mile markers were beeping very short from about 6/7 miles..

FL -I thoroughly enjoyed Abingdon. You need to get in early if you want to do it as it did sell out very quickly last year (only 1000 entries this year). They said there would only be minor changes to last year’s course, which was almost all flat. I still need to decide if I am going to do I or save myself for London next year.....

You start and finish at a sports stadium on the track and the facilities are great, lockers to leave your kit in and hot showers / tea / coffee at the end. 

Only bad point from last year was there was no energy drinks on the route, only water…..

Any more questions ask away….

• Options
    birderbirder ✭✭✭

BBB I used a garmin 405 and recorded a distance of 26.45 miles. I have to agree that the mile markers were always further  than the garmin measured miles from quite early on. I lost sgnal in two tunnels, and even at one point was apparently running at 4.45 mile per minute after one of the tunnels! (if only!)

Congratulations to everyone that finished. And to those who didnt manage to start or finish there is always next year.

I didn't get anywhere near the hoped-for 3 hours but that is mainly down to various illnesses meaning I missed most of my training in  february and half of march. I was just pleased to be at the start after a terrible few months. One final excuse before I mention my time - At 5.45 on sunday morning my left calf muscle went into spasm while I was in bed. This happens to me on very rare occasions and it was very unfortunate that it happened on FLM day. (does anyone else suffer from this?) I stretched and massaged the muscle as much as possible before the race but knew it would be a problem. I started a 6.50 per mile pace and kept this going until halfway, when the cramp in my calf told me it wasn't going to be my day. The rest of the race was just survival and damage limitation!

The crowds where fabulous and I had a real boost when I passed a band at around the 18 mile point playing "Men of Harlech" - not my usual taste in music by it certainly inspired me at the time!

I finally crossed the finish in 3hrs10, just behind Nell McAndrew!

Despite the problems I still had a great weekend and even managed to speak (briefly) to Liz Yelling at the Expo.

During my earlier training I did manage PB's at 10k and half marathon so I am still hopeful a getting that elusive sub-3.

Thanks to BBB for allowing me to rabbit on on your forum and all the very best with your recovery. And thanks to everyone else for their useful advice. See you all next year.

• Options

Hi Birder,

Well Done ,3.10 and just behind nell Mc Andrew I don't think is to bad thing! imagethere could have worst people to be behind.I did see Nell Mc Andrew finish i did not see youself as it was hard to check the numbers as they  were going through the Finish line.

I was lucky enough to be in the grandstand at the finish, if any of you get the chance in the future take it, as this was an experence of a life time that i will never ever forget, just seeing some guy running 2.05 for marathon was just out standing.

• Options

I too measured the course at 26.45 on my Garmin 405.  When we exited the last tunnel I watched what happened as reaquired the signal and it added on the distance it had lost in the tunnel therefore loss of signal is not the issue.

I also noticed the mile markers from about mile 4 onwards were consistently around 0.2 miles "long".  Therefore, any discrepency must have been early on and was not a gradual creep as would be expected by progressive deviation from the blue line.

Nevertheless, excellent day despite the weather and missing my target of a sub 3:30 by 9 minutes! 

• Options

Hi,course measured 26:39 on my Garmin 205,but i started my watch when gun went off,not when crossed the line.

Will be entering for next year GFA,send off proof of performance & age,they send form back to fill in.

No more marathons this year,shorter races.

All the best everyoneimage

• Options

Hi All - My "Thank You's" are definately due, sorry if it sounds a bit like the oscarsimage -

It's been a fantastic journey over the past few months, the experience's I had and the support from everyone has been fantastic. Steve MC your generous advice and support has been much appreciated, not just by me but also for all the others that you have helped through this thread - THANK YOU.

Also everyone at Runners World and Fast Track - thank you again for giving this me this fantastic opportunity and making it such a special experience.

Lucozade Sport - what a brilliant and professional group of people you are, I can now see why your the number 1 in running and premier league football. Although I didn't get to run in the end, I've massive support and learnt so much about nutrition and hydration, which will definately benefit me in the future. Matt & Shona thanks both and I hope to see you again in some races around the country.  

And a big thank you to the contributors to this thread, it's been brilliant, I really enjoyed sharing your company, questions, advice, support and general cammeraderie.  I feel like I've made some fantastic friends and genuinely do care how your running is going. There's been over 24,000 hits and it's down to all of your imput that the thread has been so successful.

Feel free to continue using the thread, I'll keep popping in and out.      

• Options

BBB, nice write up mate. It has been good reading and posting on here. Sorry you never made the race. But will be honored to run the next one with you, if you don't mind.

Tony, I've just entered Abingdon. So two months easy and then its heads down for it all again. will we see you there?