Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: fat face (sub-4:00)

Comments

• Options

That's a sure hard way to save a quid mate.... image

• Options

That's it - I've signed up for Edinburgh! image

Hellen thanks so much for your advice.  My goodness that was a great in depth answer and very useful.  I have to say I'm not sure I could cope with what you are doing - the thought of 20-22 miles this weekend is enough to make me want to stay in with a nice glass of wine and give running a rest for a while!  I might try a slightly longer run next weekend - 14 miles or something depending on how I feel but follow the rest of your advice.  I was really worried about my 5 week  unplanned taper for London but it will be 5 weeks between London and Edinburgh and that gives me some confidence.  A couple of my friends are running Edinburgh too which is great - they thought I was joking when I said I was signing up!

FF - I would definately recommend Edinburgh some day - it is the fastest marathon course in the UK which can't be bad!  You did a great run today - that's still a great pace.  Please do keep posting all your mileage and splits etc - it will keep you on your toes with us lot keeping an eye on you!   Is Steve still around helping you out?  Steve, if you are - any advice on the London - Edinburgh double?  If there is anything left to add to what hellen said?!

Thanks again hellen.  image

• Options
    lou you probably don't need to do a 20, I just feel I ought to but I take it very slow.
  • Options

I don't honestly think I could do a 20 just now and then another marathon in three weeks!  But you are experienced in doing the 2 marathons within weeks of each other and know what works for you.  Total respect to you!!!

FF - just noticed you have posted on the thread about the super sixers not achieving their goals.  I read that the other day and it really annoyed me.  Slightly ashamed that I didn't post a cheeky reply but these people obviously have not been following you or the other super sixers and have no idea of the fantastic support you have had and hard work you have all put in.  I learned so much about training for the marathon through what you guys all passed on through the forums.  I think they were far too quick to judge when not having the full facts!  Let's see what their response is.

• Options

Lou - I agree entirely. The Super Six projects have been a success on so many levels and all power to them!

Did a 30.30 4 miler on Wed night that sweated off a bad day in the NHS! And it proved I still could despite my falling short in London. Am impressed tho' Hellen at the 20 miler, but then impressed that you are doing Edinburgh so soon. Nice race, did it in 2005 just after they stopped you running up Arthurs Seat for the first 2 or 3 miles! Lovely city, hope it all goes well.

• Options

what is this thread about super sixers not achieving their goals?

Was talking to a chap at running club who was saying only one person at the club was happy with thier time, everyone else was way off.

• Options
    Hi Rob - Shona here - how are you doing? Good to see you up and running. Just seeing Hellen's post about SS runners - I guess that's life and that's running - sometimes it goes your way and sometimes no matter how hard you try it just doesn't work out. Obviously I was disappointed that the guys didn't run but I know that all goals will be achieved at some point - Jason (GNR Super Six) smashed his Sub 3 ambition by building on the GNR experience. I only hope what all six runners went through together will be advice that can be taken to every one of your  future running goals. Just to give an example; Last year I ran 3 mins slower at London than I had done previously then ran Edinburgh and ran a pb 3.26 - 7 mins faster than London.  I guess that's why I love running so much - there is always a slight element of surprise and unknown. Anyway, lots on at the moment post London......back running myself - Edinburgh again - I ran a pb at London this year 3.25 - hoping to edge a few more mins off that in a few weeks time (who knows though!!) Take care. Shoimage
  • Options

Good to hear your back running FF.

I'm off up to Edinburgh in a couple of weeks, hopefully the weather will be slightly cooler.

FF - Edinburgh is quite easy , logistically.
    I'm getting the coach from Victoria on saturday night arriving in Edinburgh at 7:40 sunday morning , running the marathon, finding a pub for the afternoon then getting the coach back arriving back into london at 7:00 monday morning.Then straight to work with a steeming hangover image

• Options
    joe, at least doing it that way you save on hotel bills!!! but what if the coach is delayed!!???
  • Options
    I'll start late , please don't say things like that image
  • Options
    fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    I think I'll pass on that one Joe. I'm a bad sleeper at the best of times.
  • Options

Joe - you are hardcore!  I like my bed too much for that sort of caper.

Hellen - the thread kind of died a death, it was a fairly half-hearted anyway.  The only people with criticisms were those who'd paid no attention to what we were all doing throughout our training anyway.

http://images.cafepress.com/product/269858252v4_150x150_Front.jpg

• Options

FF - advance apologies for sneaking in and side-tracking ... but I'm wanting to ask an OT question ... Lou7 .. you said you'd just signed up for Edinburgh ... '09 or '10?

I thought entries for '09 were closed?  Someone I know, D, got a place last week when his running mate rang up and asked if he could transfer his place for D to take.  They took all D's details, and he had confirmation of his place last week.

On this basis, my club mate C, who has a place but can't run, rang up yesterday, to try and transfer her place to me, and was told this was not possible image  I would dearly love to run Edinburgh, but never having snuck into a race with someone else's number,  I'm a little nervous of spending £££ on travel and hotels to do this for the first time.  Can you enlighten someone who's rather green behind the ears on how you've gone about this?  Ta.

• Options

OMG I don't know if I've been a little hasty signing up for Edinburgh.  I ran 4 "easy" miles tonight and it certainly was not "easy"!.  I kept telling myself "hellen's doing 20 this weekend" - my legs now feel like they have just done 20.   But 3 weeks is a long time isn't it?! image

Hairy Thistle - if you had asked this question yesterday I might've been able to give you a helpful answer.  Basically I got a last minute place from someone I got talking to at a running event I was at who works for a charity and said I could have the place if I covered the £50 they paid for it as they had some left over.   (The last time I ran Edinburgh the entry fee was £39 anyway).   It was one of those silly conversations when she mentioned they had guaranteed places for next year if I was interested and I stupidly asked if they had any left for this year!  The deadline for entry via charity places was today at 5pm and they said I had to get my form in by then or it would be too late.  Hence the quick decision, emailing and faxing going on yesterday afternoon.

Sorry this is not much help to you.  image But there's always club mate C's number? Edinburgh is nothing like London for checking ID, numbers at start etc.

PS What is an OT question?!..................

• Options

HT - It was possible to trasfer your number for Edinburgh but there was a deadline so guess you missed it.  You get sent your number by post this year so there is no way of anyone knowing if you run with C number.  The only way anyone could find out is if you have some problems on the course and need attending to by the medics.  You would need to make sure your details are on the reverse of the number.  It may well confuse the issue as if you are uncontious they may contact the organsiers to find out who you are rather than look at your number then if you get to hospital they will look at C notes not yours!! That is a worse case situation.  If you have your details on your number and perhaps write on the front of your number your name as well you should be OK.  I would suggest NOt wearing a vest with your name on though as if they announce you coming in over the loudspeaker and you have a different name to what is on your vest it could ring alarm bells!!

Lou, you have 3 weeks before Edinburgh, dont worry!! I have done a fair few marathons now and have done a lot of training deliberatly on tierd legs so am more used to it. (eg running to and from body pump, doing 10 miles sat 20 sunday). Two years ago when I did my first FLM then Edinburgh I did 20 two weeks after FLM but it was slow and with lots of stops and starts - I was supervising on a D of E weekend so running around to meet kids, there was a lot of waiting involved, I would guess I spent as much time stopped as I did running. I wouldnt have been able to do 20 without a break then!  Most of my running since Stratford has been closer to 11mm than 10mm.  I have found that running very slow helps with recovery.  I did do a short interval session on Thur (just 3 x 800m) but other than that I have been running slow.

Last weekend when I did my 19 miles my legs were a bit tierd and I remember after about 3 or 4 thinking there is no way I will get that much done today but they didnt get any worse, if anything they felt better once warmed up.  I then forced myself out for 10 the next day!!! Lou, you may well have found that if you had kept going wiht your easy 4 miles it would have felt no worse when you got to 10!!!

What are you going to do this weekend? If you have no plans I would suggest you find a 4 or 5 mile loop and just keep running until you can run no more maxing at 20 miles.  When you get to the point where you have to stop then you will not be that far from home.  You could have little treats for yourself at the end of each loop.  Alternatively, if you can face 20 or dont have time then try 10 today and 10 tommorrow or 10 in the morning and as much as poss in the evening.??

• Options
    Lou, Hellen, thanks, much appreciated.  Lou - OT - off topic!
  • Options

Hellen you are being scary again!  image

I hadn't planned to even try a long run again until next weekend.   I usually do mine on a Friday as the weekends are out for me.  (Just as well I read your post after Friday!).   I was loving your options - running a loop up to 20 miles, 10 miles x 2 days back to back or 10 miles in the morning and 10  miles later.  I am feeling sick and dizzy just reading that!

I run a low mileage - only 3 runs a week (Furman schedule) mainly because I teach 10 fitness classes a week on top of a full time job and running any more than that leads to constant sore legs, injury and losing the enjoyment for running.  I totally admire what you do but I just couldn't handle that!

I really don't know how I feel about Edinburgh now.  I think I was still on my post London Marathon high when I signed up but I will see how a long run next Friday feels and take it from there.  I hope your 20 miler went well!

HT - hope you get to run.  Like the OT question!  I'm a bit slow, was trying to work it out and nothing fitted.image

FF - how about you - have you been in training this weekend?  And how's the back?

• Options
    fat facefat face ✭✭✭

Hi peeps.

My back is virtually back to normal now. Typical eh. Well, when I say normal, I mean as normal as can be for me. 25 years of badminton has taken it's toll meaning I can hardly arch it at all.

Done no training at all this weekend. I've been working all weekend but I'm off tomorrow so I'll be doing 90 minutes easy. I've sort Steves advice and he has said to get back to running 4 days a week with one long easy run, a mile reps session, mid distance easy run and a marathon pace run.

So speed and speed endurance until August and then marathon specific training from then on. I've set myself a target to lower all my PB's this year. So far I've set 5 mile and half mara PB's which means 5K, 10K, 10 mile and marathon to go.

But the main question to be answered is where to go on holiday. Nottingham is 13th September and I'm off work for the following 2 weeks. Hmmmmmm. Decisions decisions.

If anyone on this thread is hardcore, it's Hellen. She's rock she is.

• Options
    fat facefat face ✭✭✭
  • Options

Hi Fat face

hope alls well

i mailed u a day or two ago- but my system is slow, and may not have sent it

• Options
    fat facefat face ✭✭✭

Hi Mick. How's it going?

All's good here and I hope all is fine in your world.

Haven't had an email through from you yet.

• Options

Mickimage

*waves madly*

So how long does it take to recover from lumbering slowly round 26 miles?  When I run I'm at least half a minute slower per mile than normal, and this fecking hamstring is still moaning even whilst sitting on the sofa typing.  Oddly , it shuts up after about four miles of running, only to come back bellowing its head off when I stop.  Grumble......

• Options

Lou, if it is any consolation, my long run was tough yesterday, I had to have a break after 6 miles where I had a sit down for 10 mins, then another after 12 miles for an ice cold can of coke.  Had gut trouble as well.  MY last long one is always rubbish so not too concerned.  Did 11.5 on sat then 21.5 on sunday so pleased with the milage but hoped they woul feel easier.

Lou, I am sure you will be fine, dont worry, you have your sub 4 so there is no time pressure and I know people who have done 13miles max between the two marahtons in the past and been ok

• Options
    fat facefat face ✭✭✭

Just back from from first long run since my last long run before the marathon that never was. Something like that anyway.

It's a beautiful day and seeing as though I'm going to be training through the summer for a September marathon I thought I'd best get used to training when it's warm. I looked out the window and it was easy to tell that it's vest and short weather and I set off on my favourite 10 mile loop.

Everything was fine and there was no discomfort from my back at all. The route took me just under 1:29 and I didn't stop to stroke a doggie once which is a record for me.

I've just had a Lucozade carb/protein recovery drink from my stash that I have left over. I wonder if they'll send me some more when I've run out?

• Options

FF Sounds like a great run yesterday in a good time!! Beautiful weather for running at the moment, not too hot and a nice breeze. Am really enjoying running without a schedule again, in fact had a fantastic run at the weekend where i ran with friends for 6 miles, 11mm just chatting and enjoying the company ,carried on for another 6 on my own, feeling very comfortable. Was a nice suprise at the finish to find the last 6 had been 8.30mm.image It was one of those runs where I am so grateful I can run !!!!!!

I really need to work on my core stability now and am sure a past Runners world had an article with exercises in. Does anyone remember it ?

Lou and Hellen good luck with the training, you mad foolsimage x

• Options
    good to see you back fat face
  • Options

Good run yesterday FF - I think as your marathon experience has been extended, so should your lucozade supplies.  Think of all the extra advertising they will get with you keeping this thread going.image

Hi Dee, sounds like you had a fab run too - it's great when there's no pressure (for a while anyway!).

I did a mini speed session tonight and really enjoyed it.  I deliberately didn't plan to run "hard" as my legs have been feeling so sluggish since the marathon but wanted to try and up the pace a little for short bursts.  I felt alot better than I expected to and although not super fast it felt good.  The big test is my attempt at a long run on Friday.  How are your legs holding up hellen?

I've also starting logging my food intake on the food focus website as per super Wotsit advice!  It's fab and a real eye opener!  The plan is to get my weight down a bit to help me run faster.  Same plan I had pre london but never quite got there.image

• Options
    lou I too want to get my wright down so I can run faster. Regarding the legs, yesterday they were good, expected them to be really tierd after doing 33miles at the weekend but I tried a new drink on my long run which had protein in. The drink is advertised as helping improve endurace and recovery. Today was running club, 3.5 miles before then a very tough hilly 5.5 miles, legs tierd at the end but everyone was complaining because it was hillier than usual.

Good to hear you did a speed session, I have often done one when feeling lethagic and not feeling like it but it has woken me up!
  • Options

Just as I was getting over my "I shouldn't have signed up for Edinburgh" fret and starting to want to do it I realised I am at a wedding reception the night before.  I had muddled up my dates and thought it was 2 different weekends.  Two weeks to decide. image

• Options
    P.S.  hellen - what was the drink?  Was it one of those chocolate milk shake drinks?  I love them and treat myself to a Mars one after a long run.image