Options

BUPA London 10,000

Comments

• Options

Mornin'

I'll be there Tracy.  Not sure about your expectation of a fit guy to run with.  image

In the pub after I bet I'll have the reddest face of everyone!!

• Options
    Mr K - where are you travelling in from?
  • Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Morning TracyB image

Long range weather (despite the track record & it`s a bank holiday) is looking OK   image

image  Arr the sticky road of energy drinks .... image

kaysdee - Powerade will be at the GNR image

Andy - Just coming up from Farnborough, Hampshire - main line into Waterloo & a skip across town.

• Options

Mr K - no worries.

i'm near Tadley so I was checking in case you wanted a lift.  I'll drive in to park near Hounslow and get the tube.

• Options
    Hi All image

Reading all your posts gets me nervous! I'm not organized, have to make my way from Taunton to Kent ( IN LAWS) on Sunday then will be coming in via train Monday from Tonbridge. What is a safe time to get to Green park? was thinking about 20 mins before race as have bag holder with me image (husband) is this too late?

Would love to have drink afterwards but have to get back to Taunton via Kent for kidsimage, maybe next time! if I survive this one.

Tracey will you be wearing the antlers/horns? image

Another Dilemma, I have just received my BHF running top and its a bit snug, Would you wear it or bin it?

Blimey I'm getting nervous and I don't get nervous!

• Options

andyp, how about a guy that's fit then? image Red face! I confuse them with hot flushes these days.... oh, that's just me!

Morning Mr.K. - I may change it again yet, but makes it less obvious and less 'googleable' image

Hi Lisa - I find the nerves is all part of the adrenaline - fires you up, but be careful of the pressure you may put on yourself! Shame about the drink... one less lunch to buy with coins from the fountain gmike. I'd only wear running vest IF I was comfortable in it. Important to be comfortable to help confidence in running - you may even find you can exchange it at the BHF table? Wonder what Mr.K. is wearing image

• Options
    Lisa, sorry, was in a rush to start work image No to the horns.. although they match my red top! I tend to plait my hair at the bottom of my neck, helps the sweat run down rather than bunch at the back of my head.
  • Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Lisa - Relax but a wee bit of nerves is ok.

I always wash a new running top before I wear it for `real` - breaks them down a bit & should rub less.

Me, personally I like to get there 45 mins early, wander around - might be some tents to visit, freebies to grap, find the start area, say hello to peeps, find the bag drop (do not have my own personal bag holder), have a WARM UP etc.

TracyB - Best to be safe (I had my name as a handle at first too).

• Options
    Hi Tracy

Just had all my hair chopped off so will just about be able to tie it back image. Not sure about the top thing yet, its not too bad, just used to wearing everything baggy image

This post makes me sound like a right girlie.

If Mr K looks likes his profile pic maybe a loin cloth? image

• Options
    Mr K, thanks for tip off to stick running top in the wash!, hope it does not shrink lol image
  • Options

Hi TracyB

I could try and be fit then image

Hot flushes - ooeerr!

• Options

Mr.K. like to think I have nothing to hide though image

Lisa, be sure to check you are comfortable with it. A running top is the next grade up from the baggy t's to hide everything! We're getting there at least an hour beforehand too. Helps relax once into the atmosphere of surroundsing image

Andyp - was just justifiying why I'm sure to be redder than you image

• Options
    I'll be there on Monday. This is a first time doing this one for me and am looking forward to it. Let's hope the weather is better than last year! Best of luck to all.
  • Options
      Lucozade sport is handed out on route for the GNR not powerade.Lucozade sport  & water will be the drinks on course for Monday.
  • Options

It's Powerade now for the Great Run events. Switched sponsors back in November/December? As long as it's not Cherry, Powerade is ok, much less sweet and sickly. The London 10,000 (although in conjunction with Bupa) is mainly organised by the Marathon team? Probably why it's still Lucozade.

I tend to skip drinks for 10k though, it distracts me and usually when I can get a clear run as most people veer off.

Mr K, warm up, schwarm up. I never do image. (Got your message btw, will reply later when I zombie the kids with CBeebies)

I like to get there at least an hour before. The closest race I ever cut it was Coniston with 3-5 mins. I had my number on, but had daughter with me and OH had my chip, faffing around getting son out of the car and bike trailer. I nearly killed him.

I'm really looking forward to Monday, it's a no pressure run for me as I'm not going for a time. Using it as my last tempo run for Edinburgh, so just running for the sights and the medal image

• Options
    I can't believe this has come around so quickly image Have done no training runs at all except a 15-min plod a couple of weeks ago. I can't remember what colour my number is, but I *think* I'd estimated my time at 1:15 - will be lucky to get that image Still very much a newbie runner. I'm getting sickly nervous already image
  • Options
    gmikegmike ✭✭✭
    TracyB wrote (see)

... he 'looked' fairly normal from what I could see.. or maybe it depends on the definition of normal image

Apart from the webbed hands and feet and the radioactive glow image

Evening all image

Well I woke up this morning with a sore throat and snotty nose .. swine flu I reckon .. been drinking Tescos Mexican Lime Cordial image

Off for a plod in a while but I'm in hiding at the mo. Was meant to go and help with Junior Club tonight but had an extended siesta after work instead. I can see them all over the park from my window so I'll have to sneak out when they finish at 7.

NO WARM UP!!! .. sacre bleu ... I found 10 or 15 minutes gentle jog with a few fast burst towards the end makes the world of difference. I do it half hour or so before and it gets me over the initial out of breath stage so you can start at pace. Sometimes I'll do 3 or 4 miles and it's definately helped my times.

• Options

Evening folks

I'm really looking forward to this now, and hopefully meeting up with a few of you before the start.

Mr K are you planning to be cheeky again?? image

I'll hopefully get there about an hour before, that gives enough time to meet, get the baggage sorted, join 3 or 4 loo queues etc. Hopefully it won't be as wet as last year!!

I was supposed to be doing Wokingham Half the day before this one, however I don't think the old legs have recovered enough after the FLM to do 2 races in 2 days, so Mr K, I won't be seeing you at Wokingham, hopefully see you here though.

I'm not sure how I'll do here to be honest as I haven't done a lot of speed work recently. It may turn into a bit of a plod, but what the hell, it's a great route to plod round isn't it!!

• Options

Hi all

I'm doing this run on Monday - it will be my first 10k and I'm really starting to panic.  I'm absolutely terrified of being last!  The only other races I have ever done is Race for Life last year and the year before, and I don't think I have trained enough for this so am very worried about it - the furthest I have run is about 7.5k a couple of weeks ago.  Where I live is quite hilly so I am hoping that the flatter route will help me get to 10k.

Does anyone have any tips - especially on how much I should run this week?  I was thinking of trying to do between 8-10k tomorrow and then maybe 5k on Friday and that's all.  Is that enough?  I was also thinking of going swimming either on Saturday or Sunday but not sure if that is a good idea?

Sorry for all the questions but any advice at all welcome.  I can't believe I am getting so worked up about it!

• Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

WTS - Good guess & nearly right - I`m adding a `twist` this time.

Do you want to give me a call when you are there.....but let us be more than 10 feet away from each other thou? image

It does look a good route image Glad you are doing this one

• Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Hey Angel, don`t panic...breathe...

7.5 Km in a training run on a hilly route is plently you will breeze through this. This course will seem shorter because of the crowds & other runners cheering you on every single step of the way. Whoever finishes last will more than likely get the biggest cheer anyway.

I would not worry too much about doing longer runs this week as this could tire you out - just a couple of Km`s, maybe 5 Kms to get your legs & lungs going. Swiming is a good break from running.

Make sure you eat & drink correctly beforehand. 

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

• Options

Thanks Mr K for your advice.  I think I will go for a run tomorrow just to reassure myself and then stick to a swim at the weekend (I'm a reasonably good swimmer so feel like it will exercise my lungs without tiring me out). 

Am on an alcohol free week (yuk!) until Monday so am hoping that will help!

Thanks again!

• Options

gmike Exactly! That's pretty normal for someone swimming in Canvey/Southend waters image As if man flu isn't enough.. you have to go one better! Will bring anti-bacterial wipes for pub visit, to clean fountain coins before I take them off you image although Mr.K. may have a different, cheekier, definition of normal by the sounds of things! Am starting to get a picture....

Angel, Mr.K. seems an old hand at this, and I'd agree with his advice. They always told me the crowds will carry you along, and have found it true. Once you're running the adrenaline will overtake the nerves too. Enjoy, have fun image

Best consider alcohol free days now too.. it's not too late is it? image

• Options
    Morning,

Hi Angel, I'm with Mr.K - I've only done one other 10k but it seemed a lot shorter than my training runs, and better scenery! I'm like you this week, panicing and wanting to run more but know it's not a good idea with only a few days left.

Also now alcohol free, I wonder what Friday night will be like sober??
  • Options

Hi Bru, WTS, Angel,

It will be enlightening. You will feel self-righteous knowing you aren't drinking for a bloody good reason, and you will see what your mates are really like when not sober image

For the latecomers on here that missed my post, there's a bit of a social (not sure how normal that is either,  for a bunch of health conscious runners) at the Wetherspoons on the Mall. All's invited. Let me know if you'd like to join us. Not sure how we'll recognise each other, but some wear names on their tops and it sounds like Mr.K. will be obvious to spot!

Tracy

• Options
    Hi Angel,

I've been panicking because I'm not running at all(due to injury) but have decided that whatever happens on the day happens and I'm going to enjoy it! image. This will be my first ever race and I've only managed 5.5 miles in training but hopefully I will get round.

My other half pointed out last night that with all my crosstraining etc I've actually been on a major calorie deficit for the last three weeks so this week I'm still doing a little bit but trying to restock the batteries ready for Monday. I'm no expert but this seems to make sense.

Only 5 days left! image see you all soon.

Lisa
  • Options
    I'd be up for a drink afterwards. I haven't got my name on my shirt but I will be the one with the deep red face.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your support - you have made me feel so much better!  I'm definitely feeling a bit more positive - will go for a short run later.   The alcohol free weekend will be a challenge - but at least there's Bank Holiday monday afternoon!
  • Options
    Hi Angel, I'm sure you won't be last. What group are you in at the start and what time are you hoping for? I'm in Green B and hope for 1hr 10mins. Only done one 10k before, in February, and walked some of that at the end so hope to be able to run it all this time.
  • Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

Angel you will definitely not be last! think the roads are fully open until about midday so looks like they are expecting some walkers?

Alcohol free? Have people gone mad!!