Options

BUPA London 10,000

Comments

• Options

hi all getting 6,30 train from bristol should be there ok i was a bit disapointed with my time last year and hope to make it better this year .i did a pb monday night for 10k in the hogweed trot 44.24 and i am looking to go faster on monday red 2 ,should be in the right place.

its not all about pbs take in the atmosphere and sights good luck everyone

• Options

Hey guys,

I am running on Monday - have been lurking on this thread recently, but decided to say hello!

I am so excited for Monday, feel rather nervous too, haven't done a 10K before. Is there an organised warm up session prior to the run?

I am guessing from previous reports of this race, that the atmosphere is great - someone mentioned musicians and drummers image - wow! Sounds good!

I have raised nearly a grand for my charity now, so want to do everyone proud!!!

See you all there,

Bette

• Options
    Well done and good luck for Monday Bette.  You'll have a great time I'm sure.
  • Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Bette - Nice one.

Andy - Thats good going. I did the Hogweed Hilly in March....was the "Hogweed Trot" on the same course??

• Options

So now I'm here for attention image

I haven't run since Gt Baddow Sunday, and now can't stop eating either image I want to target sub-60, and need to go for a run. I've sat at my PC since 8am - only leaving to get food - and having stressy time at work. I want to just go and leave the work, but also torn because thigh muscles are STILL bloody aching. I'm out with a girl friend tomorrow night - so will try for morning run if I get to bed at decent time cos of work. I hate work interfering with my personal life and get even angrier when it's about running as it's not like I have the look of a runner and work hard at trying to (gmike no comment necessary image ) and don't want to give up. image Am just sooo annoyed!

Rant over! Back to work image

• Options

Well that's a rant and a half!

You are not going to lose your fitness in a week, any speedwork you do this close to the race probably will not impact on your time (I'm sure there are guys on here who know better than me) for Monday so stop worrying. All the training you put in before Gt Baddow will still be a benefit on Monday, I'm hoping my marathon training will get me a decent PB but I'm sure my legs will still be tired cos it will only be 2 weeks since my marathon.

I hope your employers appreciate your hard work & long hours. Enjoy tomorrow evening, destress & eat well. You still have Friday & Saturday, I plan a short run tomorrow evening followed by another on Saturday after a visit to my osteopath but that's another story...................

• Options

Hi guys, thanks for your lovely welcomes and hello's!

As a rather newbie runner, is it normal to have bad training runs? Last Friday I ran 9K easily, yet today could barely manage 3K - eek, not sure what is going on??? Am getting worried image

Bette

• Options

Hi  Tryffydog - knew you'd be there when I needed you image If I don't run I eat badly, it all goes together for me, went pizza last night too, and didnt even try the diet version with no dough in the middle and just vegetables! Was meant to! Will try and get up early for a 10k in the morning.. thats the plan.. depending what time I finish. a 10k for you is a walk in the park anyway.. what time you planning? I can't remember, or did you even say?

Hi Bette, yes totally. One day is faster than another, some days you are more tired than others, plus us women have 'other' considerations that can affect our performance - and the best time to train hard I've heard, is the two weeks inbetween image Mind you.. I find it depends on whether I'm annoyed at something, or happy.. that all makes me run differently. I run better angry. If you covered 9k easily, you'll cover 10k easily in a race. Don't stress image Of course, there may be some more experienced runners that say otherwise, but I don't think so. Mr.K. will advise image

This is so much more fun than work.. anyone seen that 5k + top of the Hilton hotel run? Looks great fun, only 120 entries and have to raise £250.

• Options

Good grief you lot haven't half been chatting since I was last on here! image

Mr K, yep, no problem I'll give you a ring when I get to the start. Have you arranged anything with Kelly yet?
    A cheeky twist??? Hmmm I'm not even going to ask!!

Angel - don't panic! You will NOT be last!! Some people will walk all the way (and no doubt start near the front but don't get me started on that one!). If you can do a hilly 7.5 you will easliy do the full 10 on the day. The crowd and the atmosphere will get you round. Just tick over this week, a couple of shortish runs should keep you loose till Monday. Don't do too much on Sunday though, save your energy then.

I'm very impressed with all of you who are going alcohol free this weekend (Angel/Tracy/Bru). Don't you know that alcohol (red wine in particular) is a great source of anti-oxidants??? I'm going to stock up over the weekend - not that I'm trying to be a bad influence of course!! image

Lisa - same goes for you, if you can run 5.5 in training you will definitely do the full distance on the day. Eat sensible and replenish your reserves and you'll be raring to go by Monday.

Hi Gladrags! Have you recovered from the FLM yet? Glad to see you hve the same ideas as me about the anti-oxidants!

Bette - the atmosphere was fantastic last year despite the weather. Hopefully it will be even better this year. A friend of mine calls the bad runs "challenging", and they are perfectly normal. They just make you appreciate the good ones even more. And no matter how bad a run is, it's still miles in your legs. Don't worry about it, your next run will be better and Mondays will be the best yet!! image

Tracy - as Tdog says, you won't loose any fitness this week, but you can do too much. Your body won't have time to adapt from any speedwork this week, so you're better off just ticking along and saving your energy for Monday

• Options

Hi WTS,

So dont worry about training this week and drink wine image best prep I've ever heard!

Are you joining us at the pub after?

T

• Options

Hi Tracy

It sounds good race preparation to me!! image

Not sure about the pub yet, I'll have to see on the day whether I can make it. Sounds very tempting though image

• Options

Ok, life stinks today, so up and  out early just for a gentle 5k.

You are welcome to decide on the day. It's the Weatherspoons in the Mall (is in THE Mall, not the shopping Mall image )

• Options
    gmikegmike ✭✭✭

Sounds like you've had the sort of day I've had Tracy image .. still, nearly the weekend yayyyy image
    A gentle 5k is just the ticket I reckon .. no point bashing out a 10k this close to Monday.

Mr. K - you've definately got everyone guessing what you're up to image

sorry for the flying visit .. last minute post before bed again. can't seem to get organised this week probably due to head full of snot image

• Options

WTS, I "facebooked" Mr K tonight so will work out a meeting point. I don't leave home until Sunday.

I've been alcohol free since Xmas. Oh yes, I *will* be taking those bottles of Smirnoff Ice, who call my name every time I go into the fridge, to Edinburgh. I can taste it now. 10 more days.

I'm really looking forward to Monday now, just hope it's not as busy as Manchester was. 

Think we'll be going to the Zoo straight afterwards. My 3 monkeys will feel right at home there image

• Options

Hey gmike, okay a gentle 5K went with the plan of just going gentle, everything was aching and I was angry! Result... 1.5 whole bloody minutes on my 5K PB of (only) 30 mins! Apparently running behind Mr.K. and seeing something cheeky is the clue.. doesn't actually leave that much to the imagination image

andyp you may have to give up the sub-60 target for me, and catch you up at the pub image

Kaysdee how have you had the willpower?! Although I have more with alcohol than I do with chocolate.. do you think a binge on Slimfast bars will make me slimmer? Hmmmm.. there's a thought.

Okay, off the office. Have a nice day everyone. At least the sun is shining but I hear the weekends going to be a hot one image

• Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Ok, ok, I give in.....here half of my running oufit......I`m not going to say else I`ve got in mind thou image

http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj366/MisterK_photos/20x30-REIW0090-th.jpg

Taken just after I finished this year`s Reading half.

Morning all image

• Options
    Blimey ! not sure I want that running in front of me image, it might cause an accident lol
  • Options
    hahahahah, Mr. K - that woke me up!
  • Options
    Last night I was following Tracy's prep plan (red wine), is Mr. K's outfit the remedy for this?
  • Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

Mr K - am loving those shorts - have seen a few in various races and always makes me look twice!

Waytoslow - wow what a comprehensive reply! yup - glass of red wine the night before - key to my preparation!

the pub sounds like a great idea - if it's sunny though I won't be able to come as will have family in tow and prob head off for a picnice somewhere.

they're fair weather supporters though so if it's raining, mine's a cider thanks image

actually getting quite excited about this one now!

• Options

Hello! ill be there on monday, looking forward to it! just thought id drop by!

Bearing in mind the large amount of people- is the course a good one for a PB aim? i work aroud the area and know its pretty flat... but ive never ran in a race with such a large amount of entries before, Im starting in the red 2 zone, and looking for a sub 50... feesable?

• Options

Tracy, I'm not a big drinker anyway - I have 3 kids 5 and under so the thought of dealing with them with any kind of hangover is enough of a deterrent! Now chocolate, that is something I have not been able to curb in the slightest image.

I'm tired today. I thought tapering (although mine is specifically for marathon rather than 10k) was supposed to give you more energy?! All 3 kids snotty nosed today. Great.

Hummo, I haven't ran this before but I reckon if the zones are paced properly, you'll be well in shot with sub 50.

• Options

Hey Bru it wasn't my plan and accept no responsibility... was Way Too Slows.. although looking at Mr.K's outfit he may have started already image

Gladrags they have a family area image but unlikely a beer garden. It's meant to be hot by the weekend 

Hummo! Hello there. are you joining us in the Wetherspoons for a social after?

Kaysdee I tried to taper when I trained for a half last year, but anti-b's and tooth infection made me do it 2 weeks too soon! however.. the glass of wine the day before didn't help, but then I had been on a disastrous date for coffee.. so deserved the wine.. or maybe it was 2 large reds, not one.. hmmm

• Options

mr k thanks not as hilly as the hilly half but a bit undulating

yes its a good one for pb and a nice place to do one

and i dont know about your shorts mr k but i know when im warmed up i could strip off and run naked if it was allowed ,when i ran london marathon i lost my hat and belt around 22 miles

• Options

As always there are a number of tube disruptions this weekend. Check here to see if it affects any of you.

• Options

Bliddy tubes...

Hey Tracy- how are u? how are the legs after sunday?... not sure ill be able to join u as will have kiddiewinks in tow, but if plans change- ill definately seek you out- where abouts is the wetherspoons? (soz if its already been mentioned earlier...)

Hey kelly- good luck with your marathon... and thanks for the response. Ive never ran in such a big race, so no idea what to expect- other then the crowds!!!!

x

• Options

Great Capital RUn (July) update:

Just kindly received a reply from Great Run re: Great Capital Run (usually Hyde Park 10K).  Unfortunately it's a no-show this year...

More details have been confirmed for the 2009 Bupa Great Capital RunNew Date: Sunday 13th SeptemberLocation: Regents Park, LondonDistance: 5KStart time: approx 10amThe entries for the event are still not open, hopefully they will be opened within the next few weeks.  If you have signed up for the reminder service, we shall let you know as soon as they are opened.  If you have not signed up for this, you can do so on the event’s website http://www.greatrun.org/Events/Event.aspx?id=8
    Kind Regards
    Caroline Evans
    Great Run Customer Services

• Options
    Thanks for that. I'm on the email reminder service but no email! It's a shame as I was going to use that one in the build up to GNR. I'll have to have a gander and see what else is out there.