Options

New Forest Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Evening folks - can I join in?  I'm only doing the half (making my slowly after injury), so feel like a bit of an imposter at moment, but there doesn't seem to be a NF half thread yet.  Will be my first race at that distance, so I'm looking forward to it.  I wasn't even going to think of attempting that distance yet, but another forumite got me into it, and as it's local, "seemed like a good idea at the time"!
  • Options

GOOD MORNING

CJBA:Welcome to this New Forest Forum

Only Concern is the FLU News will it spread from Portsmouth Docks to New Forest?

• Options
    GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

Good morning All,

Does anyone know what's available at the drink stations? Is it just water or is lucozade available? Couldn't see anything on the website.

• Options
    I'm in as well - first full marathon, last half was 5 years ago, but hoping to get round, maybe in a respectable time- using my Garmin 305 and the RW schedules to see me through. 
  • Options

Ellen, Have you tried a physio or sports massage? They may be able to pin-point a muscle group that requires loosening, which in turn will relieve the pain in your knee. I know you are embarking on your first marathon schedule, but you don't mention if you are a regular runner or what your experience is. If you are a relative novice, upping your LSR to 16 miles almost 5 months before the marathon seems a little bit extreme to me. You will run the risk of injury if you try to do too much too soon. I would be interested to know which schedule asks a novice to complete a 16 miler so far out from race day! If, on the other hand, you are a regular half marathon runner, (for example) then crack on!

CJBA,  Welcome aboard! The more the merrier!

Goldeagle, Only the bigger events tend to have Lucozade, and seeing as the New Forest Marathon is geared towards charity fundraising, I would suspect the drink stations will be water only. It's a good point to investigate further though, as your training runs may be based around Lucozade. It may be a case of carrying around one of those awful bottles!

Personally speaking, I have given myself 2 weeks respite from running after London. This weekend I intend to have an easy run for an hour or so, then take it from there. I'm looking forward to some 10k races in the Summer and actually enjoying my running again. I have no time goal for the New Forest, so the pressure is off!

Happy Running,

Safety29.

• Options

Nathan, Great to have another new guy on the thread. It'll be really interesting to see how your training pans out over the next few months!

Happy Running,

Safety29.

• Options
    GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

Thanks, Safety 29, I suspected that was probably the case. Not too keen on carrying bottles, they're bad enough on training runs, and haven't really tried gels. However having done 5 FLMs, I'm sure that the Lucozade was a major help in getting round.

Latest London this year in 4:06 and still looking for a sub-4. Was looking at New Forest as I have some relatives in the area and it looks quite good. Will probably have to experiment with the gels thing over the next few months. 

• Options
    Cheers Safety - yeah it will, started on the sub 4.30 plan, with the plan to maybe move up a level or so if I feel able once I have done a couple of shorter races in the interim to guage where I am - that said, the garmin constantly beeps at me as the current target pace is below that i feel comfortable at, at that uncomfortable too fast to walk pace to slow to jog, so will see how things pan out...
  • Options

Ellen: I had the same issue last year training for Edinburgh, my only marathon to date. The pain started after my 1st 16 mile run and never really went away.

I was probably a bit stupid in not getting it seen to and ended not being able to train for the last 5 weeks before the race. In truth, as I had lots of sponsorship money riding on it, I was worried I would be told not to run. On the day I managed to run, inside my target pace, for 18 miles before my knee gave up and i ended up limping round the last 8. I was pleased to finish it all things considered, but in hindsight I should have seen a physio.

I ran the New Forest half since then  (which I loved) without any problems but have not run that distance since, so it will be interesting to see what happens when I start getting the longer runs in this time round. I will definately get it seen to this time if it reoccurs. The good thing as you say though is we've got plenty of time on our side. I would suggest resting it up and icing for a bit to see how it goes, just don't make the same mistake I did last year if it does persist. Good luck and heres hoping for an injury free training schedule for all!

• Options
    well - first warm one this weekend - managed a nice steady, conversational 12 miles across the coast roughly at 3-30 mara pace, so things starting ok! also over 30 miles thisweek for first time in ages - must keep it up!
  • Options
    OK - I have gone mad and booked my first marathon. I've checked the listings and I am on so no pulling out now. I have run 4 half marathons over the last couple of years so it makes sense to do the 26.2 and I never get into London anyway. Looking forward to it - I think......
  • Options
    well done ms - i'm sure it'll be a good decsion - once you've finished!
  • Options
    I'm doing the Brandon Half Harathon on bank holiday Monday in 12 days - have a week off - then I start looking at Marathon training schedules.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Fresh off the back of Halstead marathon on Sunday, this will be my main aim through the summer now, did 3:13:46 at Halstead, so hoping for better here as similar courses.
  • Options

3:13:46 - very impressive time. How was Halstead? I think I read in Runners World it was one of the best Marathons in the UK. I was thinking about doing it this year but I wasn't ready for it.

• Options
    how did people get off in the heat today? sapped me although i only did an hour - having said that, some of it was on the big dipper!
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Mr Spoons, Halstead is a very good race and well organised, similar type of course to the New Forest.
  • Options

Might look at Halstead next year.....

Just did the Brandon Half Marathon yesterday. Very hot and dehydrated. It's off road which is tiring on the legs too. Managed 1:46:19 which is a PB for me by 23 seconds! I had hoped for faster but the heat was very draining and I ran out of steam. Don't know how I'll manage 26.2 miles though. The idea of turning around at the finish line and running back to the start is a joke! Maybe after a few months of longer run training over the summer it will all get easier.

• Options
    Mr Spoons: Well done on your PB. With those times I imagine that you'll be relaxing at the end of the 26.2 with a nice cold beer (and the free hog roast)! I'll still probably have around an hour of running to go!!!
  • Options

hi just signed up for this one.

think will make a long week end of it, as the new forest sounds nice

does anyone know of any nice places to stay down there.

• Options

Hi Southern Softie:

I'm not sure about relaxing with a cool beer. According to RunnersWorld race time predictor I'll do 3:41. This sounds a bit ambitious to me. I'm hoping to scrape under 4 hours. Mind you, I put a recent 10km time in and the half marathon time was correct to the second! Whatever happens I'll make sure i get plenty of free hog roast though - with extra crackling.....

Alpha 1:

Well done for signing up. Don't know where to stay. My mate lives in Bournemouth so I'm staying there. image

• Options

yes that sounds good might have a look round Bounmouth while im down there,

havent been there for years.

• Options
    Finger Cross I will have time off to do this one again and nice to see Portsmouth again.So Come On...?
  • Options

imageHi All,

I live on Barton on Sea just by the Cliff top so thought that I must do the half this year! I've already entered, it will be my first half although I ran a lot last year I haven't done a lot this year yet! My last race was 10 miles last October!

I've read all your posts and found them encouraging! image

Happy Running.

• Options
    ShivaShiva ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm in this too, looking forward to it.  This will be my 13th marathon I think.   Hoping it is as good as the reviews say.

• Options
    Welcome on board Shiva. 13 marathons! This is my first. I only plan to do the one. I guess you will be showing us all up then.
  • Options

Hello everyone...

Decided I want to run this.  Only three marathons before - Beachy Head twice and Seaford once - and they're all off-road and hilly.  Fancy one that's flatter but still nice and rural.

I haven't entered yet (looks like a hefty premium for online entry) - but am planning to print off the entry form when I go into the office Monday.

The challenge will be to run a PB.  I managed 4:46 at Beachy a couple of years ago, but I'm nowhere near as fit as that now.  I know this is a lot gentler - I should really be able to go well under 4:30 - but I reckon I've still got some work to do to.

Anyway - now I've told both my wife and my mother that I'm going to do it, I guess you'll be seeing me there!

L8er dudes...

• Options
    Hello.  Just sent off my entry too.  This'll be my 2nd marathon - I must be mad image
  • Options
    Welcome on board. This is my first. They can't be that bad - it seems most people sign up for more.
  • Options

Hello all,

I did this one last year as my first full marathon and loved it so I am back again. I did the South Downs Marathon yesterday so I am still a bit sore but already looking forward to doing another Marathon!

Kal300 - where you at Stratford in April, I think I remember your name from that thread?