Options

Votwo Jurassic Coast 3-Day Challenge 78.6

Comments

• Options
    Yes - I did a bit of a conversion.  As most people still think of long distance races in terms of miles rather than Kilometers and  the event itself is advertised as 78.3 miles - it seems a bit perverse.
  • Options

Afternoon all

Hope everyone had good weekends! BA sounds like you had fun! Golden Cap is quite a lump isn't it! I had quite a gentle weekend in comparison - just a bit of walk running round lovely Charlton to stretch the legs out. Getting really nervous now - starting to think about what kit to take down with me and what additional food and drink items to get in for the Ladies Caravan! Bear we may need to cooperate on this!!

I have a sports massage booked tonight which I am sure will be delightful! Hope the weather stone proves correct but I won't be packing the shorts just yet!image

• Options

Hi everyone, great thread, except that i'm now seriously nervous image

My first time at anything like this so not sure what to expect, except hills, hills and more hills.  Not sure if i've done enough miles in training, although body tells me otherwise (lots of creaking joints!) what sort of mileage you guys been doing each week? I managed to get a couple 18 mile b2b runs in the last few weeks, but backed off this weekend cos felt tired and heavy legged. Been training on Epsom downs which is hilly and muddy so hopefully that has helped.

My map reading is crap so would it be ok if i tied my ball of string to one of you?image

• Options

Hey Blakey!

I know what you mean about tired - my runs at the weekend were very short as everything just feels super heavy so not planning on doing much now except resting and eating! I got up to 50 miles per week which wasn't as much as i'd hoped but was as much as I could manage. Enough? Probably not but survival will be the key for me on this and hopefully enjoyment ...at least on the downhills!

I did discover yesterday that I have killed my trail shoes so had to panic buy yesterday!

As to the ball of string? I am happy for you to attach it to my rucksack but it may only lead as far as the next pub!

• Options

That sounds good...the pub bit i mean!

I've been doing 50 - 60 miles a week, which is tough on the legs, my relationship and finding the time. I'm gonna do a few faster runs with the club this week just to get the legs moving beyond the "marathon shuffle" I find that if i stop completely to rest i always get sick or pick up a cold, so i try to keep going.

New shoes eh!! dont forget the blister plasters BEFORE you run. 

• Options

Hi Blakey, welcome along!

I don't feel like I did enough either, but my legs couldn't take any more. I peaked at 64 miles and did 60 miles for 3 weeks in a row. I am on a serious taper now though, I only did about 21 miles last week probably do about the same this week. I think the only way to get through this is to make it as much fun as possible, if you can do that it will go a long way to getting you round... probably I don't actually know that for certain, and that thought isn't stopping me from shitting sticks right now! 

• Options
    Did my intended 24 miler on Saturday - went much better than expected as I'd done 14 miles of the same stretch of the Noth Downs Way on Thursday and really struggled, and that stretch hadn't included the really hilly bits which Saturday's route did.  One last burst of hills (about 10 miles) + a bit of flat this week, then rest, rest,rest . 
  • Options

Hi all its getting close now!

I went to Silverstone half yesterday to have a bit of a plod round with definitely no racing. As soon as the gun went off the plan went out of the window and I broke my PB by 5 mins. Oops! I'm off for a sports massage in a bit so will probably get told off for running too hard this close to the JCC

This week I'll aim for around 25 miles and I might get the bike out and have a bit of a ride round the countryside

• Options

Thats good Bear, I have not found the time to do anything more that a couple of hilly 15 mile runs..... along with the usual daily runs of 10 miles. So you are well ahead  image

Mind you I think we all worry to much about if we have done enough training, am I fit enough etc it's on the day, that's when we will find out   image  So to you all, it's not worth worring about the training side concentrate on the mental preperation and getting your kit all together as planed and resting . Birdy that does not mean going down the pub and drinking lots.

I still work in old money so am still in the old school of distance running, in my time the term "Ultra distance"  did  not start untill 76 Miles (100Km) anything shorter was just termed as a long marathon. As it is getting more trendy it is used for most distances beyound the standard 26 miles, 385 yards (41.195 km).  Thats the end of my rant image

• Options
    Daily runs of 10 miles!!  Hilly 15 mile runs!! That's much more impressive than my slow waddles up hill and down dale.  I'm not so worried about the distances and can just about contemplate the hills - but still worried about time.  Haven't heard from Ben re cut offs for the walkers.
  • Options

Evening all

Welcome Blakey.....I've been doing about 50 to 55 mile weeks typically, but bizarrely managed a 70mile week at the start of Feb. This is the most mileage I have ever done in prep for a race, and I agree with the creaks and groans have started to come in over the last few weeks, I'm definitely on taper now, I did 51m two weeks ago, 31m last week, 12m of hills on Sunday, and the rest of this week I will maybe do 2 or 3 runs but wont be going anything over 5 or 6m per run I reckon, I might do a short cycle mid-week instead for a change.

My brain also works in 'old money', where miles are concerned anyway....I can picture a mile, and work out a mile on a map etc, but start talking in km's and I'm stuck having to do the maths too.

Bear - this cut-off thing is interesting - I was looking at differences in G3 and G2, each group gets the same time to do each set distance (but G2 starts earlier), so as I see it, there is no added time advantage starting in the 'get to walk more cos your legs are knackered by day2' group than in the 'try to run / hobble more group'. I dont see how they are gonna know who started in what group by the time we are quite a few miles in.........unless they are using the timing chip and as we cross a mat it flashes up on a laptop at the CP.....only thing I can see is it spreads the field out more on the path so it doesnt get over-crowded, and G3 'advantage' is a slight lie-in, whilst G2 'advantage' is possibly an earlier finish and more recovery / eating time image.

• Options

I am really worried that there will be no beer left when I finish image

• Options
    I`m more worrried I will be too tired to drink any!!!
  • Options

image Valley I am just putting on a brave face and after running for that distance I will be mince, so staying up drinking would probably be the last thing on my mind. BUT such a good thought, I will try to have at least one with all you guys to swap stories

Tiger I have been discussing with others and possibly due to the growing popularity of this type of race the organisers are trying to keep the field spread out naturally thus not clogging up the narrow paths. Just a thought  image
  • Options

That suits me BA, I'm not one for busy races or some of these city runs where you cannot move....I prefer it when everyone is spread out image.

One beer and I will also be asleep...and quite possibly not get up in time the next day image.

• Options

I feel a little happier about my milage now, thanks all. I think I got a bit paranoid because a friend of mine is doing 10 marathons in 10 days (262 miles or 420km.......thats an Ultra in new or old money i think BA!!) and is doing 400+ miles a month, so mine seemed pathetic in comparison.

Definately up for a few beers after the run on Sunday.....Its FREE!!!! I just need to avoid temptation and not drink before. I Drank 8 pints of Guinness night before Dublin....and felt dreadful image but managed to get round.

• Options

Hi Blakey, is that the "Brathay 10 Marathons in 10 Days challenge" ?

All races are challenges and none are easy - Shorter ones you try and go faster and longer, finishing is good!

• Options
    BA -can't quite accept idea of organisers trying not to clog up paths - otherwise why ask entrants to say if they are joggers or runners then allow exactly the same pace for each group?  Why not just assign 2 different start/finish times randomly?  Also from my experience of similar events the field spreads out very soon after start so there should be no congestion problem.
  • Options
    Bear I am not sure really I was just making a comment but:- In the world of political correctness and going through endless red tape to get a race like this organised, I would think the people who would say yes to the race going ahead would have looked at the numbers.
    You and me would know that after a short time we would all string out into smaller clumps and there would be no problems. But to get permission Ben probably had to show that the numbers would be staggered and on paper would not cause congestion on the path.
  • Options

Hmm its all a bit confusing but I'm sure all will be made clear when we get there. I can only go as fast as I go so I can't get too worried about it as I can't do anything about my pace. I remain hopeful that as long as you look like completing in a reasonable time the organisers wouldn't take you off the course unless it looked like you were going to finish after dark. At that point i'd probably happily jump in the nearest minibus!

I had a very painful sports massage last night. Have been told that my legs are not in great shape and I have an inflamed achilles tendon so not running this week. Going to head to the pool tonight and just have a gentle swim. I take my hat off to some of your mileage on here but clearly its beyond the reach of my poor body! I wish I really did have wings for some of the hills we are going to have to take on!!

• Options
    My mileage has not been good either over the last week or so, suffering with a cold and have had to go away with work. Wont be home until Friday, will have to get in some miles this weekend and up till Wednesday.
  • Options

BA - no criticism of your comments intended , as you say it could well be to satisfy 'outside parties'.  From my experience last year the organisers were really helpful to get old slowbees like me as far as they could and if necessary 'leap frog' a couple of CPs.

Bp and Vb - commiserations - I had a not very happy visit to clinic re scew in head - not going so well and might not be able to wash hair for another 3 months image.

• Options

Bear....screw in head? I'm too scared to ask!

BA, yes it is the Brathay 10 that my friend Heather "Gymfreak" is running.

I've not done any running this week, this taper business is hard work, my hangover this morning was horrificimage. Plan to run tonight, Thurs, Sat and Sun, no more than 25 / 30 miles total. 

• Options

Will probably be a bit hungover myself tomorrow - 'im indoors is Irish and down the pub already.

Was going to do hilly session Friday - but going to hairdresser instead to have some of manky locks cut off -  Bear has her priorities!!

Heard from organisers - the cut off times are guidelines only .

Anyone arriving in Weymouth by train Thursday?  Was thinking about  offered lift from organisers so could co-ordinate timings.

• Options

aw forgot! Happy St Patricks everyone. I'll be hungover tomorrow too I think - off out for an un-st patricks curry with some old work pals.

Am going to go out for a gentle trot tomorrow and then Saturday before putting the trail shoes away and thinking more about packing! image

• Options
    So what's considered a decent time to get round? I was thinking an average 5 hours 30 min per day, but looking at last years results that would place me about 25th.............highly unlikely.
  • Options

Oh yes, Happy St Paddys to all. No drink for me, I'm on an alcohol free month....until after the first race at least image.

Starting my trip down on Sunday, so my packing / washing routine is already in full swing....will have Sunday night with parents, about half way, then get to Dorset by Monday afternoon.

Bringing both trail shoes and road shoes, cos if it is dry enough I will wear the road shoes......trail shoes dont support my feet enough on hard ground or tarmac cos I over-pronate, although they'll be fine if its thick mud image.

Hope all the niggles, colds etc sort themselves out quickly........I'm enjoying this low mileage week, had a nice cycle this morning image....never thought I'd be this happy about tapering, but its giving my aching tiger carcass time to recover from all the winter plodding.

Good news about the cut-offs Bear image.

• Options

I looked at last years times too Blakey......and all I could say was 'Oh.....****' imageimage

• Options

crikey that is scary - the day 3 times really indicate the toll on the bodies.

Ok. Scared again now. Pass the calming irish whiskey please.

• Options
    Day two seems to be the quickest, but by day 3 everyone seems to add at least another hour to their time