Options

Votwo Jurassic Coast 3-Day Challenge 78.6

Comments

• Options

Looking at the results form last year I have either grossly underestimated the difficulty of this or I stand a half decent chance of winning… looks like I have underestimated it then!

Oh book me in for a hang over tomorrow too. “May the enemies of Ireland never eat bread nor drink whiskey, but be afflicted with itching without the benefit of scratching.” On to the important stuff, we are ok for food and booze but does anybody know if we get a medal? The only reason I run is for medals!  
  • Options

I think my panic phase is over - I am just really looking foward to it now - especially if the weather stays nice and bright.  I was looking at last years results and based on the fact that for almost every race or tri I do, I seem to end up about 2/3rds down the pack, I hope to muddle round in 6 - 6.5 hours each day.  We'll all only know on Sunday eve if we've done enough, so no point in stressing now. Positive Mental Attitude guys! 

I'm taking everything in terms of kit - vests, t-shirts, long sleeves, shorts, cut-offs, long tights, etc etc etc! I'd rather have my whole running wardrobe with me to be able to decide each day what will suit best.  Same with road shoes and trail shoes.

Here's hoping everyone's coughs. colds, niggles and head-screws(!!) sort themselves out. 

• Options

<Passes Birdypie a Talisker>

Scottish whisky if you please imageimage.

I just took another look at last years photo gallery imageimage.

<falls off wagon and pours self a double> image

• Options

Tigerspaw, probably the best day for road shoes would be day 2. From the start it`s road to Portland, firm gravel path on top and road after cp1 right through to Bowlieze Cove which is about 15 miles into that day.

When looking at day 3 times for last year take into account the diversion inland. Thats not to say it was any easier. It was also a warm day. Not good for climbing the steps!!!

• Options

<passes bottle around>

Mr Guy - in the photos it looks like people are getting handed some kind of medal at the end image. Hooray!

PMA Minnie - Positive Medal Attitude - the thought of not getting my medal has seen me to the end of a few marathons image.

• Options

I hope we do get medals. The photos from last year show everyone being handed a medal, but no mention of one in the info......for what it is costing to take part in this event i'd hope a medal (worth about 50p usually) would be included image

I'm not getting stressed, no point, I just keep telling myself its gonna hurt..........it's three days of marathon running, its supposed to hurt!

I agree with Minnie, I'm loading the car with ALL my running gear, just in case. I've got two pairs of road shoes and two trail (1 breathable, and 1 waterproof) Not sure how 4 pairs fits into 3 days, maybe i'll do a pit stop and change a pair half way round. I'm gonna have more shoes than my missus takes on holiday....never thought i'd say that image

• Options

Yes, we all got a medal at the end last year. 

After the ACC we all got some nice engraved glass trophys which I think is what you will get this year for the JCC.

• Options

I just keep thinking of Eddie Izzard for inspiration. If he can run to Swansea in 11 days after a months training I'd better be able to get round this bliddy thing!!

Oooh Talisker...nice!!!

• Options

image Maybe I should carry a wee dram for the finish of the last day. Not sure I can run with a whole bottle though....hmmm, maybe a couple of miniatures we can pass around image.

One of 'Eddies Tips' from the first programme was to swop your running shoes.....based purely on his experience of wearing high heels image.....so I dont think our packing of multiple pairs of running shoes is particularly excessive imageimage. (I will probably have 3 pairs plus walking shoes/boots).

• Options
    Bp -  am not even thinking about anything apart from why? why? why??!!!  (I attempted it last year to celebrate my big 60. and swore never again).  Hope you do not mind sharing caravan with mad old bear with smelly hair imageand scrrew loose in head image.
  • Options

Not at all Bear!! All forms of madness welcome!!

Right its curry time for me. Just quickly gulp down the last of my dram and head off for a nice hydrating glass of wine.

Back tomorrow for more pre event chatter! image

• Options
    However any drams - wee or otherwise  - would be much appreciated!!
  • Options
    Bp , meant  to add  imageimageimage!
  • Options

Hi all!

I work in a running shop so have LOADS of kit and I'm intending to take it all (except my racing flats obviously!!) I've also got enough nutrition (gels, drinks, bars etc) to last me for about 3 weeks

Time-wise I was hoping that my times for one of the days would begin with a 5...beyond that I'm not bothered!

I hope everyone who's out tonight has a nice time and that the hangovers aren't too bad in the morning!!

• Options
    Did a nice steady hill session at the club tonight. Ran with the slower group's which was a nice opportunity to chat with a different crowd. Felt good and strong, just want to get stuck into JCC now! 
  • Options

like the name Blakey -here is an avatar

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/354146/Gallery/4989577647a6163937657m.jpg

we have another coastal challengewww.coastersgb.co.ukimage
  • Options

“Positive Medal Attitude” I like that image

I am taking pretty much everything I own as well. All my running gear and anything else I can fit in the car including 2 fold out bikes!

Did a 5 mile tempo run yesterday and feel very sore today. Despite tapering my legs don’t seem to be getting any better. All the training has gotten me used to running on tired legs… but it would be nice not to have to just once at least!   

• Options

Thanks Hoose, very funny and original, i've never heard that one before image, now get off my bus!!!

Did a 15km treadmill run tonight, nice and steady. Feeling good and can't wait!

• Options

Blakey I'm jealous that you feel good!

I've done 10 miles today and how I found it in me 2 weeks ago to run 31 miles with a 12 miler the next day is beyond me. My legs feel like they're filled with lead and my motivation has disappeared! I felt much better running a 70 mile week than I do running 25.

I always feel like this when I'm tapering so hopefully I should feel better by this time next week.

• Options

Blakey- some Blakeys under 30  would not be aware of our freind. For us old 'uns we can never forget that oneimage

Hope you got your bus-lolimage

• Options

Splat - with you on that. I did four miles last night and was knackered! taking the new trail shoes out for a run tomorrow in the woods to get them nice and muddy. Fingers crossed this emergency plan works out!

• Options

This time next week... Gulp!

Have a good last week worrying and practising with your compasses everyone.

Torrential rain in Dorset right now I hope that changes in seven days...

• Options

Well, I'm onto my last bit of packing now and chomping at the bit to get on with this (tapering always makes me feel stir crazy and wanting to get out there image)........

......so I'm just gonna say Good Luck to all in case I dont manage to get back on here before I leave on Sunday, and hope to catch up with a few people during the course of the event image.

(Bring your good weather stone BA image).

See ya all soon, safe travels to everyone image.

• Options

Good Luck Tigerspaw, hope it all goes well for you.

My maps arrived the other day so I am spending the weekend ploting the rout and reading the book I bought on Navigation for walkers. It's all about resting up and mental perperation for me from now on. I only plan on running another two times before next frieday and probably not much more than 10 mile in total.

• Options

Have a safe trip down Tigerspaw.

I hope BA is rubbing his weather stone, looks like it could get muddy again for the weekend. Hope this changes.

http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-Weymouth-UKXX0317

• Options
    I am but I do not think it is working - it is peeing down in Portsmouth  image And I am trying to shrug off an impending cold ..
  • Options

I think I am finally over mine, just in time. Hope it clears for you.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Showers and 5 degrees at night.  I'd pack your woolly hats.

Still looking forward to all the race reports.

It helps not to be very afraid, just a little afraid.

• Options
    Wooly hat packed + waterproofed one as well - in case screw in head rusts image.   Absolutely terrified - is that right?  One last hilly bit tomorrow, then a little bit of flat, then total panicimage.
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Terror isn't called for image.  It's a reasonably sanitised coastal trail with superb views of headlands, sweeping bays, amazing multi-coloured cliffs. When you can see them, which you may not on account of sea mist, darkness, etc.