Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Options

Welcome Juliefliesimage

Which was your first marathon??

• Options
    Hi Bburn Plodder
    Thx
    My first was Dublin 09 (Oct 26th) it all happened very quickly as only started running in June but did quite well in it and got hooked so really looking fwd to this one!

Would love to do dub again next yr too
    Have you done Edinburgh b4? Where does it start have tried to find route but must be missing something really obvious!!!
  • Options

Welcome onboard Julie... as you can see we talk about just about everything on here...  Erm Edinburgh route... If you google Apex hotel Edinburgh, it starts basically outside there or near enough and then goes out somehow to along the sea front, then its out and back for a bit and finishes at Musselborough... there that was helpful wasnt it??? image

13mile LSR for me tomorrow morning and then into Leeds on Sunday to get the last bitties for Xmas...  Will have to wing it with my Secret Santa recipient as I cant seem to find out much about them even with a jolly good cyber stalk...

• Options

You into cyber-stalking CS ? Ooerrr.... better be careful what I say on here then... !'ve already been labelled a flasher.... I'll have an angry mob at me door, next image

Welcome JulieF - that's right - no topic off-limits in here!

Haven't actually setlled on a plan yet... no club run tonight, but lined up for a 5k park run in Manchester tomorrow, all being well. Then I told myself I'd start training properly for Edin on Sunday (altho I said that last week!) - so will look to do a gentle 8 miles or so.... if current sore back/neck stops playing up...

• Options

I wouldnt worry too much Teuchter, my stalking is rubbish... Although I will very likely be stalking the rest of the Edi postees for 26.2miles. image  Feel free to wave at me on the out & back bittie.  I'll be on the out bit as you're all heading back.  I will not be tempted to cut the corner and miss a good 6miles out though like I saw somebody do this year tut tut tut!!!

*hands Teuchter an ice pack*  My chiro says ice packs rather than heat packs are a must for sore neck/back.

• Options

Evening all and welcome Julie

Caz ...just read back on the posts and  with you using a golf ball under the foot. I used to do the same until a physio told me that a rolling pin was better. I have used this method since and i must agree with the physio, as it covers the full width of your foot. Do 2 minutes a day on each foot, thats all you need adding more pressure each time. Its not fun but it does the trick.
    BTW....leeds will be busy on sunday due to the Abbeydash 10k.

• Options
    CazSoul,

Thank you, probably stay at that hotel then!!
    Look forward to the banter on here then image

Went out for first outside run (as opposed to yucky treadmill) today and the cold air didn't agree with my chest too well, but finished my 8 miles.
    RE: Plan: I was thinking of copying the supersix plan only starting a few weeks later as obviously London before Edinburgh. I'll have to tweak it o fit round family though!

Thx for all the welcomes image
  • Options

Base training at the moment as i had quite a big layoff after London and i've lost most of my leg strength, peaking next week at 7 miles before starting 24 week plan the week after with a nice steady 6 miler.

Completed 6 miler yesterday in the wind and rain, not cold though (nice warm southerly wind) which was a suprise, but the rain was very refreshing and got round without any problems.

Starting to get my mojo back after the lay off, actually looking forward to running again image

• Options

Happy weekend's running eh??? image

Weather was terrible. At one point on Saturday afternoon, I was actually laughing out loud to myself whilst running along. It was ridiculous!!

The wind was blowing driving rain straight into my face........I couldn't see a thing (glasses covered in rain & all steamed up), and the wind seemed to be pushing me backwards.

Mr Plodder told the kids "mummy's now officially a nutter, going out running in this". LOL

It gets a bit wild and woolly up in't hills!!!!!

• Options

Well done BB, Beavis, for persevering against the elements - that  shows true character !!

<Hands back dripping, soggy remnants of ice pack to CazS.>  Thanks for that CS - much appreciated.... Unfortunately didn't prevent me having a pish-poor weekend of running image Ran the South Manchester parkun 5k on Sat morning... not a brill time - but no ill effects... not a twinge. Set off for a planned 8-miler LSR on Sunday morning... and had to pull up after 100 yars due to agonising back pain....... Must've looked a right dork, sprinting out of the house in shorts and running bib.... only to hobble back to the door clutching back, seconds  later.... Not even sure I'm gonna be recovered in time for Wesham next Saturday image  

• Options

Rolling pin huh Gold Pig???  Thanks for that tip, will look for a rolling pin next time I'm out shopping as I currently don't own one. 

Oooooh I can feel for those of you running in the driving wind & rain... One of my runs last week I swear I was running backwards the wind was blowing that much, dont suppose it helped that I was meant to be going uphill as well....  Thankfully, although it looked miserable as sin on Saturday morning (thick pea souper fog) the wind & rain held off until the last 20mins or so of my 13miler. 

*instructs Teuchter to lay on floor*  *takes of shoes*  *wipes feet on carpet*  *steps onto Teuchter & starts walking up & down his back*  There that should sort you out... image  Hope your back sorts itself out sharpish.

• Options

Teuchter, look after your back this week, wrap it in cotton wool and ice.

I'm sure CazSoul's treatment will have done the jobimage

We need you in pb-chasing form for Wesham on Saturdayimage

• Options

Wow CazSoul - thanks..... I feel better already !! image Glad you took your shoes off first, tho..... I didn't like the look o those Stiletto Heels  image

BTW - I'm surprised to learn that you don't have a rolling pin....

http://cr4.globalspec.com/PostImages/200803/wife_rolling_pin_95ABB372-06CC-13B3-F32F9DD93992AEC2.jpg

• Options
    Thanks BBurn P - I'll gonna try... I've decided on a 'damage limitation' strategy - I'm gonna cut out any running this week, including with the club... , plus the curcuit training, which I recently started  ( and which I think caused the initial problem!) - and  hope that I'm in a reasonable  state to have a go....
  • Options
    CazSoul wrote (see)

*instructs Teuchter to lay on floor*  *takes of shoes*  *wipes feet on carpet*  *steps onto Teuchter & starts walking up & down his back* 

Ive got a bad back !!!, Ive got a bad back!!!image

Teuchter......Take it easy mate, want to see you on that start line next saturday.

• Options
    glad I wasn't the only one laughing out loud on a run due to the crazy conditions! I could have sworn I was going backwards at points!!

Hope the back sorts itself out T.

hoping to fit in some quick miles this eve..weather yet again yukky, thinking biggest obstacle will be sludgy leaves on pavements!
  • Options
    Thanks Gold Pig,  JulieF  image 
  • Options

"thinks Gold Pig may be telling porkies about the bad back but kicks shoes off anyhoo*  Lay down...

You should see me navigating my way down five rise locks over the last couple of weeks with the sludgy leaves underfoot... I have been fully expecting to go bottom over boobie and end up flat on my back... so far so good...  watch I'll slip and fall next time now. image

Have made an appointment with fizzy on friday to check that this pain in my ankle is nothing to worry about, figure its better to get it checked out now rather than wait until I've done some serious damage and then have to start endless pointless threads about what else I can do whilst injured etc etc.  

• Options
    CazSoul wrote (see)

"thinks Gold Pig may be telling porkies about the bad back but kicks shoes off anyhoo*  Lay down...

LOL...I'm lied down....I'm lied down....image
  • Options

Thank goodness for that my feet were starting to get cold... *steps onto Gold Pigs back & starts walking up and down*  Stop wiggling or I'm gonna fall off.. image

• Options

Caz...As you can see, i am easily pleased.

Dont fall off, ive seen those adverts for slips, trips n falls. "where did i put that insurance policy" image

• Options

Hmmmmmm yeah dont think THAT was meant to happen GP... imageimage

Oooooh where there's blame there's a claim...  When did we stop being responsible for our own supidity/actions?? 

• Options
    Its called "Living on the edge"image
  • Options
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room.............
  • Options
    Gold Pig wrote (see)
    Its called "Living on the edge"image

Really???  I'd have thought you'd have called it Little GP... image

Urgh... I went for a run on the treadmill last night... I only managed 20mins before I was bored out of mind and sooooooooooo sweaty... they really need to sort the a/c out at the gym I go to.   Oh well, have got a nice easy 3 or 4miler this weekend up at the inlaws...  Love running around the country lanes of Scotland, much much nicer than busy chav infested streets...

• Options

Little GP eh ?  I look forward to the ensuing custody battle being thrashed out on this forum image 

Oh Lordy... does this mean I'm gonna get an ear-bashing now from Gold Pig,  every time I'm out on a club run with him..... about mediation.... access rights....  and how CazSoul is bleeding him dry for maintenance ?? 

<mental note to self:  invest in some ear plugs>

Yeh - its's a funny thing about the treaddie CS ,isn't it ? I started off running on the treadmill about 18 months ago... and kept putting off the transition to running outside...which in the end was hell! . Now, I cant bear being on the thing for more than about  10 minutes - even with an ipod .... I just get soooo bored !!

Whereabouts in Scotland.. ?  We had our running club weekend around Galloway Forest last Summer... the countryside was gorgeous....

• Options

I was on the treadie last night, due to crap weather outdoors. I managed 5 miles, but it was a slog. Apart from the tediousness and boredom, I am also rubbish at it.

Everybody says it's supposed to be easier, but I find it harder. I get much more hot & sweaty - yuck image  and also I can't seem to run as fast. I set it to about 10 min miles, and I am exhausted after half an hour, but outdoors, that pace is an easy run. I just don't get it??????

Last summer we had a weekend camping in Scotland.I had a fab run around Kirkcudbright, it was lovely.

• Options
    I dont understand it either.... By September 08,   I was up to about 40 mins on the treaddie...reasonable pace...  with something like a 1% incline (cos I read  that that's supposed to simulate outdoor running)... and then when I started outside....honestly.. it was like I was starting from scratch !!  I had to do (from the plan) -  fifteen minutes run.... three minutes walk.. fifteen minutes run... three times a week , for the first three weeks... and I was absolutely knackered !! I'm sure a lot of it must be psychological... but whatever, now - I only use the treaddie if I really have to - I hate it....
  • Options
    Treadmills are the absolutelast resort for me, but sometimes a necessary evil to get the miles in. I'm hoping we won't have too much frost or snow this winter, otherwise I'll have to us it to stick to my mara plan from Jan onwards.....
  • Options
    Teuchter wrote (see)

Little GP eh ?  I look forward to the ensuing custody battle being thrashed out on this forum image 

Oh Lordy... does this mean I'm gonna get an ear-bashing now from Gold Pig,  every time I'm out on a club run with him..... about mediation.... access rights....  and how CazSoul is bleeding him dry for maintenance ?? 

Teuchter...If it takes my mind off those hills, i dont mind talking about anything.image