Options

Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Well Thursdays intervals went really well and I followed it up with a 6 miler at 8:20 a mile the following day but wheels feel of the wagon on Saturday when I woke up to a really bad case of sciatica which is STILL with me

If anyone has some advice on how to best relieve the body pain I would be very grateful. ...
  • Options
    Bloody sciatica still with me, gentle jogging just about possible but cannot stretch legs out as fully as I want. If it carries on I may give in and see the Doc which believe me is for me a complete disaster as military doctors are so defensive when making decisions you are lucky to leave without a sodding referral for a time wasting appointment at the other end of the bloody country image
  • Options

I find alcohol works well to relive pain Philby - not much help I know but I hope it starts to improve soon.

Talking of injury DT2 is not in good shape for London and looks like mising out. He's had a disasterous run of luck with knee, calf and now a groin injury. Just doesn't seem to be able to pull it together for any period of time. I'm gutted for him and it won't be the same at London without him chasing me down.

I'm struggling with a chest infection at the moment but nothing too major. Managed 22 miles this morning and just completed my first ever 300 mile month so it all looks good for London and Edinburgh.

Right, I'm off to watch Jo and the kids eat chocolate - happy days!

• Options
    Dave you really made me smile there "just managed 22 this morning" I should be so lucky. Really sad to hear DT2 is struggling as I know only too well being injured is bloody horrible. Hope you can resist the chocolate I honestly believe the majority of the modern world are sugar addicts! Including me image
  • Options
    No injuries here, just not too many miles due to the heat, running about 40 miles a week at the minute with no specific goal.

Hope all the injuries clear up and you all reach your goals!
  • Options
    Oh yeah Dave, just 22 miles - you're ready for an ultra!!!
  • Options
    GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭
    Phil, hope the sciatica clears up soon.

Echo Phil's comments. Sorry to hear that DT2 is having a bad time.

And then I read that Dave's done just 22 miles and WR is doing 40 miles a week with no specific goal. I never run 22 miles unless it's during a marathon and 40 miles a week is marathon training for me. Awesome, guys.

7 days to Paris so not much running for me. Feel I'm in decent shape. Would like to feel I could be around 3:45. But will always take under 4.
  • Options

Can't believe I'm looking for a job AGAIN...oh well I guess I can always become an elite athlete or a Jeremy Kyle watching pyjama wearing slob image

We've been down to Londonium for the weekend to see the parentals and collect some chocolate...the scales beckon tomorrow and I don't think it's going to pretty...actually I KNOW it's not going to be pretty I have seriously stuffed my face this week.

Sorry to hear DT2 is having a tough time of it just lately, hopefully he can pull it all back together in time for Edinburgh.  Well done on the "just 22miles" Dave...we've got 16 scheduled for tomorrow but there is danger of a sugar crash so we'll see.  There's always Saturday's 20 miler to redeem myself if I do blow up tomorrow.

Phil there are some stretches you can do for sciatica, might be worth a google and if you find some that help keep up with them to keep it at bay.

Oooh I'll keep my fingers crossed for the 3:45 GE image

• Options
    Thanks Caz, will see what Doc says Tuesday and then the oracle that is google after that. Sorry to hear about your job woes, keeping all parts of my anatomy crossed for you and i wouldn't bother with the scales it won't make you feel any better. Get back into the Grove and weigh in a couple of weeks.

Fingers crossed for you GE, sub 4 will be great anything under that will be a Billy Bonus image
  • Options
    GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

Caz, sorry about the job issues. Hope you find something else quickly. Good luck with the 16, and the 20...

• Options
    GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

Just 5 miles tonight and that's me finished until Sunday unless I decide to do the 5k breakfast run on Saturday morning. As usual excited and nervous at the same time. Just need to get all the lists together and the packing done. Don't forget the shoes...

• Options

Tiny request - if you are doing Edinburgh would you please consider participating in my study which you can find on the Spring marathon thread as MSc Research Project requires marathon runners - no electrodes!

It's about using a positively focused self-talk technique to increase your resilience and positive affect (that's the strong positive moods that you can control).

It is straightforward and might just provide an additional tool to conquer the mental aspects of tackling  a marathon. Drop me a line if you would like more details. 

Cheers.

• Options
    Sorry to hear about the job Caz, hope all works out.
  • Options
    GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

Well for all of my non-FB friends, had a great weekend in Paris culminating in a new PB (adjusted down slightly on my FB time) of 3:53:17. Obviously well pleased. Absolutely perfect day for marathon running. Half splits were 1:56:11 and 1:57:06. Definitely put to rest the ghosts of 2011 and managed to come back with some of the money I took, and all of the cards.

On to Loch Ness in September where I hope to renew the acquaintance of Mr and Mrs CS and anyone else who can be persuaded to take part. Come on guys there's still plenty of time....

• Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

I have to pull out after my bike crash (caused by a dog!!), my leg isn't healing I hoped.  If anyone wants to buy my place, please let me know.  I also have train tickets from London Sat, back Sunday and a hotel booked (single room) in the city centre.

It's all waiting for someone, just someone with a decent leg.

Gutted image

• Options
    GE, well done mate that's a great time,and especially after your last experience there. My sciatica is just about clear which had been a sodding nightmare but hopefully will be back out on the road next week.

Hope you all are keeping well. Will report back on my return to tarmac soon enough
  • Options
    That's a great time GE and good you didn't have your things stolen this time. Good to hear you're on the mend Phil.

Hope everyone else is enjoying their running!
  • Options
    Thanks WR wow first chance for a run and 5 miles felt pretty good, so to keep the frequency up will be up for another run tomorrow, 9 miles hopefully. Hoping everyone is keeping fit and well. Must say a very mixed reaction to Maggie's death. At the end of the day whether fan or foe she undoubtedly thought she was making the right decisions for the public good, however wrong she often was.
  • Options

I fell out with Jo over Maggie's death when I proudly announced her passing and with great conviction said "I could have done it myself with my own bare hands 25 years ago if given half the chance"

and on behalf of everyone in the peoples republic of South Yorkshire, I hope she burns in hell for eternity!

La lucha continua!

• Options
    Dave that was a tad harsh and my Dad was a miner so I know only to all the trouble and strife there. At the end of the day she thought she was making the right decisions but look at Blairs chock ups!
  • Options

I'm not a huge Tony Blair fan either Philby but if you could see the devastation in some of the Dearne Valley communities that I worked in. Not to mention the complete decimation of school sports programmes, the sinking of a warship sailing away from the Falklands, the selling off of all state owned utility infrastructure for the benefit of private investors

I could go on Philby but it's probably for the best that I don't - I stand 100% by my comments on this - The mister is not for turning!

• Options
    Ha awesome image mate you make some absolutely valid points but she did have some positive effects, the Falklands for one plus she challenged the unions when it's obvious to all but the ignorant of their influence over Labour which shaped their policy portfolio. But no more MT, let's hope that we all can at least sympathise for her family.
  • Options

Sympathy for the family is my absolute limit Philby - I can go no further.

Anyway, back to running?

Tanner is out of VLM - He has struggled with lots of injuries in the build up (knee, claf and groin all at different times) He raced a 10k as a test on Sunday and struggled to make 36 minutes! He has a 32 something so he's admitted he's not in racing shape and can't go along just to enjoy the run and I can sympathise with that. It just won't be the same without my running nemesis and friend on Sunday image

Still, there is a job to do and my build up has gone really well and been very consistent. I put it down to adding in weights and building a strong core and more upper body strength. The last 2 weeks have been a little patchy as i had a chest infection but managed a 74:13 in the Blackpool half for 4th place and a 34:32 on Sunday for 6th in Wakefield 10k (In gale force winds) Also did Ashby 20 in sub 2 hours so i am in PB shape for London but need good conditions and some luck on the day.

Weight is down to around 9.5 stones despite the extra muscle so I'm quite happy with that.

I'll post on FB and will try to get on here as soon as I can after the race to update you.

Have a good weekend (when it gets here)

• Options
    Dave, sad to hear Tanner won't be there but he has such high expectations it's only to be expected. As for you mate, 9.5 stones wow you must be shredded! Incredible image well I sincerely hope you run a storming race, please for the love of god be safe on Sunday after yesterday's horrific news at Boston.
  • Options

Hi guys.

I know it has been like for ever......sorry.  Loads going on work and personal still.  We lost Bo (dog) on 25th Feb.  9 weeks start to finish.  Haven't had chance to read back and catch up but sorry to hear about your job Caz - sorry to hear DT out of London.  Good news that training has gone well Dave.  Good luck for Sunday.  Congrats to Grandad Philby image  Well done GE - fantastic time and what better way to lay to bed those Paris ghosts!

Just had to log on today after the awful events in Boston.  These senseless atrocities are terrible no matter what, but when they touch on something so close to home it intensifies that disbelief I guess................basically I just needed to check in with my running buddies and give you all a great big ((((hug))))

Take care guys x

• Options
    Hi all,

Thought I'd log on and say hi. I've done Edinburgh with not much training before and have done a couple of marathons around 3.41 pace. I am trying to train as well as possible this time and whilst it has been going well I have also really been enjoying it.

Target time for me is 3.29 but realistically anything under 3.41 will be great! Really looking forward to it as just love the city and supporters!
  • Options

Good luck with it LG2 and welcome to thread.

Breaking news is that Tanner is back in the game for VLM. After the awful scenes of Boston I think he wanted to show some solidarity for runners everywhere so he's giving it a go image

• Options
    Tell Darren he is officially a star as will be all the runners at this year's VLM, the time is irrelevant after recent events but as you say solidarity at this time is so important, all the very best for all on Sunday but most of all condolences to all those touched by the evil acts this week.
  • Options
    Yes - good luck to anyone doing VLM. I still can't get over the awful happenings at Boston.
  • Options
    GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

Hi Fi, good to hear from you. Sorry to hear about Bo. Hope you're managing to get out and do some running.

As you say totally senseless loss of life and so many lives changed forever.

Dave, good luck in your PB search on Sunday. Good luck to Darren too. London's going to be an emotional place at the weekend.