Options

Amsterdam Mary & Half 17th Oct 2010

Comments

• Options

Higs,

were all entitled to get grumpy and frustrated at times. I can totally understand the frustration thing at not running, try to see beyond it, rest up with the man flu and come back fighting fit! image

Things CAN only get better!!!

• Options
    HigsHigs ✭✭✭

Well I did 'more than four' this evening.

And it seems to have cleared up the manflu a little too.

• Options
    See Higs... better image  At least you know you're not making things worse by getting out there.  I hear the forest is still snowy though.  Managed a 14 miler yesterday.  Slow, but better than expected by a long shot!
  • Options

Way to go Higs! image

See, man flu is all in the head........     

Not 14 miles on the tready H? image  Bliddy well done!

Managed 7 yesterday, feeling well tired having spent the weekend demolishing and rebuilding a Cornish stone hedge....

• Options
    Nah, 14 on the roads, although it's started snowing again so it could be a first and last.  Have pulled something in my leg too.  Bit tender.  Day off today...
  • Options
    Hi, this is our club trip this year, I'm doing the half cos am also doing Windermere and not up for 2 in a year (also want to have some energy for fun stuff), my OH is doing the full.  See you there!
  • Options

Welcome NR !

H, bliddy snow is beginning to be a right pain!

Hope the leg is ok, I am day off today too, bliss........   not a teenager in sight!!!

• Options
    HigsHigs ✭✭✭

Morning all. The comeback continues...

Since my run on Sunday I've been out for a short pootle on the mountain bike on Monday and 40mins of CV stuff in the gym yesterday.

Plan for the rest of the week:

• tonight - mountainbiking (with quick mates image)
    • Thurs - run 5ish
    • Fri - rest
    • Sat - mountainbiking (leading a slower group image)
    • Sun - run 6ish
  • Options

Good going Higs!

Had a "CBA" day today, will do 3 tomorrow and Friday, rest Saturday and if I am not pit crew for my son on Sunday I will probably do 7....

I must start getting back on the bike though, figure once a week would be good enough for cross training.

• Options
    JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭

Howdy all, just entered the full and very excited, its like buying a new pair of shoes (or trainers!!). Looking forward to this one, heard its a good race.

Will be my 4th mara (well assuming i finish edinburgh in may) and my first overseas one! WOOOP WOOOOOOOOP!! Clearly a bit of a screw loose image

• Options

Evening ..... 

welcome JW, this will be first and ONLY marathon, so will need to pick the brains of those of you that have already lost your virginity!! LOL

Don't ALL runners have a screw loose? image

• Options
    HigsHigs ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

I didn't get chance to do my 5 yesterday so nipped out at lunchtime - enjoyed it but I'm still making harder work of it than it should be.

Mountainbiking tomorrow and 6 flat, slow miles on Sunday.

• Options

Not done much this week but cross train...leg still buggered.  Don't think I'll be racing sunday image  Work's been a pile of kak this week too (hence still here with a long night ahead at 7pm on a friday!!)  Breathe!!

Have a great weekend one and all..

• Options

Must be the week for it!

Manic week at work, haven't been out for 3 days... now climbing the walls.... and...

I will be chief pit crew (only pit crew) for my son on Sunday so thats the first day of next week obliterared!!

Enjoy your weekends everyone! image

• Options

Hiya folks

At the minute I'm looking for an autumn marathon, one that isn't massively crowded & a flatish course.  This will be my 6th marathon - I've just returned from completing the Miami marathon on 31/1/10 (totally amazing but very humid making it very tough!)  Do you reckon that Amsterdam would fit the bill?  The other ones I'm looking at is Elgin, Robin Hood & Longford which are all around September/October. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Options
    HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Heather Baxter wrote (see)

Hiya folks

At the minute I'm looking for an autumn marathon, one that isn't massively crowded & a flatish course.   Do you reckon that Amsterdam would fit the bill? 

I hope so. That's why I picked it myself.
  • Options

Ams, flat for sure.  Just a slight 'hillock' (bridge) at about 39k, but on the whole a good one for time.

Meanwhile I had to watch the race I was supposed to participate in yesterday.  Strained groin still and felt like kak.  I was gutted.  It was beautiful!!!  Slightly snowy but not too cold and a stunningly beautiful course.  Ah well....

• Options

Welcome Helen

((H)) Hope you are ok now?

Higs, I am with you ref the choice of Amsterdam! Flaaaatttt! LOL

Hope everyone is doing ok, has been hectic here with work and life in general...

Trying to up my mileage a bit at the moment and am experimenting with a pair of Nike lunarglides.... Time will tell, all good at the moment!

Higs how are you?

• Options
    HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Tiggers Bouncing wrote (see)

Higs how are you?

All good here thanks.

I did 6 hilly miles on Sunday. Rest Monday. An hour and a half of silly mountain biking in the snow last night. And I've just got back from the gym where I did some intervals on the tready.

Plans include a 'tempo' run tomorrow and 7 at the weekend. If the roads are dry and ice-free I may even take the road bike out for it's first spin of 2010.

Longer term, I've entered the Leeds Half at the start of May after which I'll launch into mara training proper.

• Options

I have entered Plymouth half at the end of May, then mara training.....  

A few weeks behind you, maybe as it is my first I should crack on a bit earlier! image 

All ears for advice peeps!

• Options

Well... nothing going on here!  Still can't run, having trouble even with walking ;(  Been biking but that's about it.  Apparently I have a locked pelvis causing pain in my groin.  Frustration!!!

How are the lunarglides going TB?

• Options

H, that sounds bliddy painful...  Are you having physio or is it a "rest" kind of thing?

So far the Lunarglides seem really good, I am really NOT a fan of Nike..  It is still early days with them tho'

• Options

Having physio but it's tough trying to get to appointments at the mo.  We'll see...

Meanwhile I'm laughing about the Nike's.  I'll be honest I was never a fan.  Just never thought of them as a running brand particularly but now I work for them (and was thus forced to).  I love the lunarglides though image 

• Options

I am in the same boat as you as far as Nike go....  Hence being very reluctant about trying the lunarglides, decided in the end that worse case previous injuries would re-appear they would then be consigned to gardening duties! I didn't realise that you worked for them!

Hope things get easier re the physio, who said running and exercise was healthy??? What is the unhealthy option?! LOL

Hmmm.... perhaps we best not go there...

• Options
    HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    H. wrote (see)

Having physio but it's tough trying to get to appointments at the mo.  We'll see...

Is that 'cos you insist on the man in the tight shorts?

re: Nike: I think they suffered as a running brand when the Air Max got picked up as a fashion shoe. They then played to the market. I have in the past had Air Pegasus which I liked largely due to them doing a wide fitting. My problem now is that I've completely lost touch with the Nie range so stick with what I know, Asics and Saucony. As an aside, I've used Saucony for years but always buy them on-line as I don't know how to pronounce the name!

• Options

Evening all...

Back to Nike again, I think you are right about being labelled a "fashion shoe", when I first started running I had a pair of Nike, then moved onto Saucony. (pronounced sock-a-nee Higs)

I have only tried the Lunar Glides because they were on offer and  I am fed up with getting used to a certain fit in trainers then they change/update them..... Grrrrr.... not always to the benefit for me.

"Is that 'cos you insist on the man in the tight shorts?"

What is wrong with that Higs...???? Seems perfectly normal to me...image

• Options
    HigsHigs ✭✭✭

8.25miles - flat and slow.

Pleased with that, particularly as I only set out to do 7 and felt I could have done a bit more. Ask me tomorrow whether my legs feel it was a good idea to tack a bit more on the end.

• Options

Well done Higs, I had a CBA day...

Hopefully your legs will be good tomorrow, paws crossed.

• Options
    HigsHigs ✭✭✭

Rest day tomorrow anyway (and mountain biking Tuesday) so they've got 'til Wednesday to recover.

• Options

Hi folks,

Just checking in - entered the full this week, race, flights and hotels all booked image It's my PB course, and think I'm looking to reclaim some of my former glory .. although I guess 5 years sat on the sofa means that's a bit unlikely image

Still, started training this week: two 3 milers done. Which is nice.