Options

Sub-39 at the Stubbington 10k

Comments

• Options

Mixed feelings for the last few days... managed to run for 30 mins on the treadmill yesterday at 6.7mph pain-free... going to do all my running on the treadmill for the next week or so.

Any thoughts anyone on converting walking miles into running???

• Options

Hi Squal, some research has been done on this. Depends on what you are aiming for though. Theory behind it is to slow down the onset of fatigue by combining a preiod of running with a shorter period of walking, it is suppose to work well with longer distance races so more geared towards marathon/ultra distances and for people looking to complete the distance. So for example someone looking to complete an ultra might use the technique to enable them to run the race in even splits and prevent hitting the wall.

In terms of using it as a  mehod to come back from injury i'd suggest you rather just start with running for 15 minutes 3 times a week on a soft surface such as grass and then progress steadily from there rather than run/walking. If you consistenly having injuires you need to fix the underlying problem before you start any running otherwise as soon as you ramp up the volume/intensity you will just hurt yourself again. Lower leg injuries are often down to poor core stability so I would suggest going to see someone who specializes in sports biomechanics and can give you a proper analysis on your specific areas of weakness. This generally costs around £100 but will be money well spent.

Just my opinion though.

• Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Went to my local gym last night....on Downend Road, Fareham which is dicey getting to at the moment to say the least! It's down a hill and was closed last week due to difficulty in getting to it with the conditions.

I feel like my fitness has dropped a little but I am sure many will be in the same position...managed to cover a 10k on the treadmill....just a steady pace really. Last week I did one run consisting of 7 miles at a steady pace as well.

Reading the Stubbington website, the race is posponed until next year and there is a note about reduced entry costs or something for this years entrants...or something like that...worth keeping tabs on this all the same to see what ends up being decided!

What was your next race target after this Squall? Or are you now just focusing on getting shot of your ankle and heel problems?

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

James - What you have written is spot on. I am training for the two oceans ultra in April with a view to finishing the race and trying to enjoy it. All the stuff i have read indicates it being about time on your feet and the ofsetting fatigue and the the run/walk method seems to be the best way of doing it.

The only reason i mentioned it was becuase after the runs i wasn't as fatigued since i had used different muscle groups through the walking phase of the training.

But i guess everyone is different and you need to find what works for you.

• Options
    Marty enjoy the 2 Oceans - Cape Town is my home city. It is a great race with some beautiful scenery. Have you done it before?
  • Options

Thanks for the input James.... I was looking more for converting the walking miles I do at work into run training. I currently walk between 5 and 9 miles a day at work on hilly terrain, in around 10lbs of kit. I was hoping that as this walking has caused my various achilles/ankle/heel problems that it would somehow count for some training!

My injury problems have really only existed since doing this walking (usually 30-45 miles a week) on top of my regular running training.

Thoughts anyone?

I'm seeing the physio on friday about it... but i'm having all kinds of problems with casual footwear rubbing on my ankle and causing it to swell up etc..... almost certainly bursitis rather than tendinitis.

• Options

The walking wouldn't count for any running using any quantifiable conversion despite the fact it may impact your running training.

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    James - No, in fact this will be my first ultra!! I decided since i wasn't lucky enough to get into London this year, i wanted to do something enjoyable and not worry about my times. So far, so good, am upto 23 miles including my walking breaks and (touch wood) am still in one piece..

I am staying in cape Town for a week after to enjoy all the sites. As the weeks go by i am getting more and more excited...Do i sense from what you have written that you have done this race before?

Squall - its a real tricky one. Perhaps the physio could give you some advice on what exercises might help your situation. In any case, whilst the snow is here, its increasingly difficult to get outside and train. Just be thankful that its not gorgeous sunshine outside - that would certainly add to your frustration..Hopefully you get some answers on friday.
  • Options

Moraghan: I thought as much, what a pain. It's clearly wearing on my joints etc.... not really sure how to accomodate this within my training without simply training less. 

Jokerman: I wear magnum boots at work... for the first 7-8 months at work I had no problem. At the moment I get pain, but only from where the stiff back of the boot is rubbing on the swelling around my heel. I can run in my running shoes completely painlessly... and walk in open-backed shoes pain-free as well.  Right now though, the impact of running doesn't seem to be doing the inflammation around my heel much good, it was pretty red and sore yesterday despite repeated icing. 

• Options
    I think i've compounded the problem with my reluctance to back off from training altogether, or ease back into it once i'd been cleared by the physio in the first place.
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    squall - i think everyone does that. A reluctance to back off. But in the long run its better to be running consistently throughout the year rather than having periods of downtime due to injury. Much easier said than done mind you.
  • Options
    Marty, no have not done the ultra, I'm 25 so maybe in a few years. Done the half a good few times though and always watch the finish of the ultra which is at my old University. Constantia Nek is a big climb to come at around the marathon mark but the support is really brilliant up there. But I would definitely do some good hill work, I am not really sure what would compare to it in the UK but it is a tough. I have no doubt you'll thoroughly enjoy the race.
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    James - thanks for the advice re the hills. Where i live i can't go far without encountering hills so most runs include a few so hoping that will stand me in good stead. The clips i have watched on youtube look great so can't wait to be part of it.
  • Options

Is anyone else going to do the romsey 5 miler on the 24th of Jan especially now stubbington was cancelled?

I have not done any running for 2 weeks on saturday! did do 110 lengths today swimming though image

• Options
    Might do no running till then... and give it a go...
  • Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭
    If I am here that weekend, I might  enter that 5 miler too...I bet a lot may want to enter that now Stubbington was postponed to regain some race fitness! I'll either do that one or an 8 mile race in Newport South Wales which is at the end of the month. Getting race withdrawal symptoms now lol.
  • Options

I did 5.5 today, my first run in 2 weeks! hard on the breathing for me.

I also collected my mug today from an outdoor shop in whitely village

• Options

Current prognosis isn't great.....

for the next three weeks:

- calf and hamstring stretching 2-3 times a day
    - glute strengthening work
    - running twice a week for 15 mins, easy
    - other non-impact stuff for fitness (cycling)

I'm going back to the physio in 3 weeks to be re-assessed after that. 

Did 10 miles in 40 minutes on the bike int gym just now... 

• Options
    Is your physio well regarded in the running community?
  • Options

Um.... I honestly have no idea.

What would you recommend?

Incidentally... ran outside very slowly for quarter of an hour just now... no pain at all. Still doing LOTS of stretching. 

• Options

I just find that there are so many sports physios out there that it's always best to make a concerted effort to find one who has a reputation as being successful with runners.  I've been very disappointed with some experiences with sports physios.  If I were you I'd ask around running friends, clubs etc for recommendations.

At least with a sports physio with significant experience helping people continue their running you are more likely to get pragmatic advice and one that sympathises with concerns about losing fitness. 

• Options
    Some very fair points. I shall ask around...
  • Options

I'm wondering about this...

...3 weeks back at work... getting used to the walking again and seeing if the pain returns...then attempting 50% of my previous mileage with run/walk intervals...then holding that for 2-3 weeks... then slowly increasing... 

• Options

Just ran 15 minutes, pain-free.

Did an upper-body weights session yesterday... will probably do core and lower body on friday. At the moment I'm not going to bother with cross-training... I want to give my achilles/heel as much chance as possible to heal up. 

So my current plan:

- Weights twice a week (upper/lower split)
    - Run for 15 mins easy twice a week
    - Stretch 2-3 times a day (especially calves/hams)
    - Continue with walking at work as normal (approx. 30-40 miles per week)

Had sports massage yesterday where the lady said I definitely had issues with tight calves... and she said that my right was noticeably tighter than my left (unsurprising given that my right was the one with the achilles injury initially). 

I intend to start running properly (ish) again in the first week of February... something like:

Week Commencing 1st Feb

Mon - 30 mins easy
    Tue - 35 mins easy
    Wed - Off
    Thu - 45 mins easy
    Fri - Off
    Sat - 30 mins easy
    Sun - 75 mins easy

And see how that goes for a little while. I don't intend to run more than 5 times a week for at least the next 6 months... I think given that I can't 'opt-out' of some of my walking mileage, I have to make concessions with my running or I'm going to wreck my joints and put an end to both my running career and my actual career!

• Options

From the outside looking in a few comments...

I also suffer from very tight calves and , like yourself, have had a few periods of forced absence from training. My current stint is my longest uninjured in about 3 years. 

If I were you I would start at three times a week - possibly with cross training mixed in somewhere. From there build it up. Running even 5 days a week if you're just back from injury is too much IMO. Three days and build it up. Three days for 2 weeks and then 4 days for 2 weeks etc etc.

That's what I have found...

I'm very prone to tight calves too. I've got new trainers, orthodics, get regular sports massages, consistently do heel drops for stretches(eccentric calf stretches). My thinking is mine aren't properly conditioned so I really really need to be more 

• Options
    tommygunn: thanks for the input, I'll certainly take it a bit slower then, if you think it'd be worthwhile. For me, i'm on my feet all day. Both the physios i've seen have said that's what's leaving my calves (and possibly hams) overloaded.
  • Options

Well I'm pretty sure that what I have is Retrocalcanael Bursitis.

I only get the pain when I'm in my work footwear... I can walk barefoot without pain... run in my running shoes without pain... 

I'm also looking at Haglund's deformity as a possible cause.