Options

Sub-39 at the Stubbington 10k

Comments

• Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Merry Christmas guysimage. As for my training...non existent since last Thursday, although it's been pretty impossible for me to do any. What with being in Holland where they had some of their worst snow in 30 years....it was simply impossible to do anything at all out there...then I was stuck in delays coming back and even diverted to Mancester overnight when flying back to Southampton! So what with Xmas shopping etc and packing to come back to Wales I have done nothing. Slightly dissapointed in one respect but good to have a break in another too! Not sure if it will impact upon my Stubbington 10k expectations...I was hitting just under 39 minutes on the treadmill in training over the last few weeks and did get 39"58 in a club handicap on the 12th December. But we shall see! I will pick up on my training again as from tomorrow! image

As for the snow and ice here, I hear that we could see some of the worst snow in 25 years here next week although the south coast should escape the worst of this if this does come off!

• Options

Slightly dispondent today after running to the end of the road, suffering some ankle pain and abandoning the run image

Still... 30, 30, 26 miles for the last three weeks isn't too bad coming back from injury. Hopefully be 35+ next week in the penultimate week before stubbington. Race-week itself I'll probably leave pretty light. 

• Options

Hope everyone had/having a great xmas!

Haven'T been able to run outside for over a week now, and not at all for the last 3 days, the ice here is getting ridiculous, the only place without snow is 2 wheel marks either side of the road, and if you try even walking on it you end on your bum! So been on the bike at home, everytime i get on the poxy thing i hate it that bit more.

WJH, more on the way? please no!

Squall i hope your ankle is feeling better, if your able to run Stubbington then i bet you ll get under 41, just dont push it if your feeling anything, theres plenty more races during the year.

Did you get out Boxing day Vicki? Having to work xmas day was a bit of a bugger!

• Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Looks like parts of Wales and the Midlands will get a fair bit of snow Mee Meep! Hopefully it won't be as bad as some say and hopefully it won't affect your training!

Went out for my first run since a week Thursday earlier....about 7 miles worth! Not that fast and felt like ive lost a little bit of fitness what with no training and Christmas, etc! Hopefully it will come back quick!

Got a fun run tomorrow morning which will be good with the running club local to my parents in South Wales after an invite from a mate of one of my brothers. No idea what it will be like but looking forward to it all the same!

• Options

More ankle niggle this morning :/ So the running's being put on hold till thursday.

How's everyone else holding up?

• Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Unlucky Squall but wise choice by the sounds of things!

I did that "fun run" this morning....well it was fun....when it ended! 6 x 2 minute of hard running with 4 minute recoveries walking/slow jogging back to the starting point each time. So anything but fun more like bloody hard work! If that was a "fun run" id love to know what a more serious training session of theirs is lol! image However, it couldn't have come at a better time to kick me up the ass after Christmas and lack of training recently and was good of the club here in South Wales to allow me to take part! So in all seriousness, a good session!

• Options

Sounds like a good workout WJH, still on the treadmill, 10m easy, remembered to take earphones so was able to watch 2 episodes of Friends on the tele, really made the run seem to fly in!

Probably do a progressive 10m tomorrow morning, whats everyone else upto?

• Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Yea in hindsight just a shock to the system I guess mee meep lol indeed it was a quality session. image

Are you just doing the treadmill then because of the ice? I quite like doing the treadmill but never usually take headphones with me but it will probably be a good idea to do that! Think I will do an easy 5 or 6 in the afternoon/evening. Definately nothing too hard after today. I think this week will be crucial in gearing me up for Stubbington now.

• Options

6 miles in yesterday in the end... just took it easier!

Off for 3.5 in a moment. 

I like the treadmill for stuff like 5-k and 10-k pacework.... anything steady and it's far too boring. Although I haven't taken headphones before, that sounds like a decent idea.

I did go through a phase of doing lots of treadmill running whilst the Beijing Olympics was on... that was quite good to watch. 

• Options

Yeah there is still so much ice and quite alot of snow which is impossible to walk on let alone run, its raining out there now so fingers crossed it melts it.

Did 10.80m earlier,speeding up the whole way. And made sure i took the earphones image no Friends today so switching from Sky News and the Vault!

No snow or ice down around Portsmouth Squall?

• Options
    Has anyone got their numbers?
  • Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭
    Im back down that way on Tuesday so hope I will do by then! image
  • Options

I have managed only a couple of 3 milers over the xmas period,

I have got a place for romsey 5 mile road race and david lloyd 3k road race anyone else doing these?

• Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Never knew of those Zoe! The 5 mile race in Romsey sounds good!

Did 5 miles out tonight...it's flat in parts and hilly in other parts so it's good to do some hills as well...took tonight easyish though. I don't think I will be getting sub-40 in Stubbington now though. Can't say im looking forward to heading back down that way having had such a nice time back in Wales...although it will be good to hit the treadmill again at times though as it's bloody cold and the recent cold spell could be the coldest in many many years into January so will be good to hit it more then!

• Options

those races are at www.conceptsport.co.uk,

the5 miler is the 24th of Jan and the other is the 7th of Feb

• Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Thanks Zoe, some very useful info on that site including some other races I didn't know about like a Winchester 10k on Feb 21st. Really should start planning a schedule of races I want to do this year over the next few weeks!

Did an easyish 7 mile yesterday evening bringing my week total to 18 so far (25 if I include Sunday in this). May go out for a short sharp 3 miler or something later although it's very icy out so will have to see.

• Options

I did 8 miles today and did a PB, did it in 1.15.31 the quickest I have ever done it is around 1.18.00.

I have not run for a week and this is my first long run since gosport half, the pavements were not too icy so that was good,

How is everyone else getting on?

Got my number too

• Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Nothing today but hopefully one more run for me tomorrow! Then one treadmill session on Tuesday and some light running leading up to the 10th.

Ive been keeping a close eye on the weather forecast as usual lol and it looks like it's going to be poosssibly down to record low temps in some parts by the weekend of the Stubbington race. This is definately worth monitoring it does look as if it's going to get exceptionally cold for our standards that's for sure.

Hows things going with you Squall? Are you feeling ready?

• Options

Got my number for Stubbington... but feel mixed.

Went out for a great run the other day with a colleague - 7.61 miles on a hilly route... with some tempo paced sections. Really hard work and good fun.

But after a 5-miler yesterday morning my ankle was hurting image and not even the injured one... the other one.

Not sure how to proceed this week... 

• Options
    6.36 miles slowly this morning.... 151 ave HR for the hour I was on the move.
  • Options
    Eugh... more ankle pain. I'm sick of this.
  • Options
    hi squall i fill you got to rest this ankle, if you carry on and do the stubbington 10k think what mite happen think of the bigger picture only thinking of you,( this what i call the kings finger,) there was one king who went hunting one day and he got is finger bitten by a snake and it went poisonous and had to be cut of, his advisor said this is the lord mercy king replied how can this be the lords mercy i,ve lost my finger and he put the advisor in prison,the king carried on hunting and was hmbushed by a tribe and they started to offered him for sacrified then noticed he had lost a finger would not offer him as he wasnt a complete person, then he realised is avisor was right because if he had is finger he would have been killed and offered for sacrified, so went to release is advisor and said sorry, the advisor said dont worry that was the lord mercy ,the king said hows this the lord mercy, the advisor said if i was there they would have taken my life in stead, hope this is of some help .everthing is for a reason take care.
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Hi squall - just read on another thread in the events section of this forum that unfortunately the event has had to be postponed. So just think of this snow as Gods way of telling you to stop for a while until you are feeling betterimage
  • Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭
    If that's the case Marty then it's good of Stubbington to cancel this one early so there is plenty of notice. Very dissapointing but a very wise decision and prevents any doubts for those taking part! I had a feeling this could happen the weather down here has been exceptional! Should allow you to take the pressure off a bit hopefully Squall with the ankle problems you have been having. I am partly pleased as well as I don't think I would have been at my best for this...a load more snow is apparently forcast late Sunday into Monday down here (potentially) and the current snow is bound to remain as slush and ice as well before this...so all in all a good call by the organisers at this stage.
  • Options

Noooooooooooo!

Was really geared up for this, but without doubt the right call if its anything like it is here then snow and ice would have caused havoc. Oh well the easy taper week will have to be replaced with a couple of long runs, damn you snow image

• Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭

This is a difficult one for me as one of my other hobbies is weather (if no one had guessed)! I love the snow and all sorts of more extreme weather, but am still dissapointed it's cancelled Sunday but definately not with the sensibility of doing so! I am probably an odd case there in being a runner that loves the snow! image Where were you travelling from mee meep or are you a local to Stubbington/Hampshire?

• Options

Disappointed about this, but obviously it does take the pressure off me a little bit.

I just don't really know how to proceed from here image I took 2 weeks off running AND walking back in November.... and got given the all-clear by the physio. I dunno what the hell's going on now.

Anyone with a history of ankle/heel problems who can help?

I'm going to have a few days off running and see sports massage lady on friday... but I'm still a bit lost.

• Options

Was coming down from Henley, (not far from Reading). Going to do a 10k on the 24th at Dorney Lake now before a couple of half marathons in  Feb/March.

You will be happy when we get a load more snow Sunday then WJH!

• Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭
    Ah right roads would be difficult coming from there as well I guess mee meep! Yep, I will be happy with the snow, but it's not possible to do any training at the moment. My gym is at the bottom of a hill but you have to go downhill to get to the entrance to it...so it has been just about impossible for me to get to the gym and on the treadmill (if the gym is even open with where it is as its not easy to walk to either!). So I have mixed feelings about the snow coming on Sunday now.image Looks like this spell of weather will continue into mid month with only a slight hint of it thawing at least in the south by a week Friday/Saturday (15/16th) at the moment.
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

I think everyone is having the same thoughts. I am doing the gloucester marathon on the 24th so should be doing 22 this weekend. The pavements are definately a no no so am hoping to find a bit of road a mile long and keep running up and down. Otherwise its the bike for me again....

Squall - I don't know much about ankle pain, but guess rest must be top of the list. And when you do start again, have you thought about running for a set time and then resting for a set time. Currently on my long runs i am running a mile then walking for a minute. It seems to be helping me to get more time on my feet and at the end i don't feel as tired as if i had run the distance in one go. It also breaks the run up into manageable chunks. Just a thought really. In any case, hope you feel better soon.

Keep safe in these conditions everyone.