Options

Sub-39 at the Stubbington 10k

Comments

• Options

You are a jokerman. and the reason ill not use these forums anymore, i dont like rude arrogant people, who over rule everyone else, try coming across a little more polite.

As i said, im no expert and i was not giving advice just saying what works for me, and what was mentioned by other people, so who's right and wrong, you may be wrong and others maybe right, im passing on what ive read and advice ive been given, everyone is different and beleive it or not we are not all elite nor does every one want to follow those hard to understand programs,and most have full time jobs so are unable to put in loads of miles, and have to find a happy medium, its the real world use novices are running in.

If someone who runs a 34 min 10k says miles are not important, who am i to disagree, he is doing something right, and miles are important if you are training for big runs, even i know that.  If you read the post properly you will see that i said i know the long runs should be easy, but i run them at an uncomfortable pace, thats what i want to do, and what works for me, its up to others to take on board what they read and take it from there, but please dont undermine people because you think that your knowledge is far superior than everyone else.

This is part of what i read yesterday.

It's not about 'getting the miles in'. It's the intensity of those miles. Pushing yourself for 15 miles per week, is better than going through the motions for 40.

• Options

I'm also doing the Stubbington 10k so will post on here.

Tendonitis Squall? I had trouble through July and August with that, saw a physio on numerous occasions and its all cleared up now.

Have not run a 10k since July but feel realy good at the moment with 5 weeks slowly built back upto almost 40 a week, did a tempo run tonight 7 miles at 6.47 and felt pretty comfortable.

Jokerman, always enjoy reading your advice, whoever your alias is at the time. Often wondered about your running, you must have some decent times behind you?

• Options
    Hey Tinka, i saw you did a half marathon at the end of September, how did you go? You are lucky that you can latch on to runners at your club and improve that way, the club i go to only has one quick runner and he never goes!
  • Options

SDalyVictory......"I reckon it's more beneficial to run 30miles with these sessions thrown in than 40miles easy, you certainly feel more knackered"

Sorry, what I meant to say was 'I know from experience that it is more beneficial'

Earlier this year I was running 50 mile weeks, with minimal quality. My 13 week schedule for the GSR switched this to 40 mile weeks with up to 4 quality sessions in each week. I found my progression slow when running the 50 mile weeks, however upon starting the schedule, between may and september i took 4 minutes off of my clubs 7.5 mile handicap time, 2 minutes from the 3.5 mile handicap, and 2 minutes off of my 10k time.

Maybe the top guys are running 10/12 sessions a week. But this thread is about Paul's running who (no offence intended) clearly isnt.

• Options

I did 1.23. The quick runners are around 36 min 10k, and i dont always stay with them for the distance, its just my way of training, the realy quick one, 34 min 10k  doesn't go either.

Hey, i never said i was a good runner or i know everything, cos i dont, its just nice to give a perpective of how i train, i run how i feel.

My times based on my training are,

5m---29.24---10k-37.01--- 10 m-61.49---1/2m-1.23

• Options
    Some quality times Tinka, do you prefer the shorter distances? Just seems like they are slightly better than your longer ones?
  • Options

Thanks, i do yes, the 10 and 1/2 were on hot days, so i would like to think i could get another min of each, in cooler conditions. In the great scheme of things they are probably average times, but im peaking i think.

I joined the club last summer, with a 41.30-10k time, and 68.50-10m time and 1.31-1/2 m time, so ive done something right, for my level, im 39 also, so im never going to be elite.

• Options
    Thats a big improvement in not that long a time. You say they are average times, but i bet in 95% of races you would place in the top 5% and higher.
  • Options
    I would like to invite Tinka to stay please... just let the comments breeze over you. You have to learn how to take Jokerman, he is a bitter medicine. He does have a great deal of knowledge though.

I think I have achilles tendonitis...
  • Options
    Right... doctor's appointment booked for 10.20am image

My heel is creaking...
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Hope all goes well Squall. Important thing before any training is that you are fit and well

Nice to see you Jokerman love reading your posts even if no one else does

• Options
    I also love reading his posts.... they're a bit of a slap in the face, but there's no pissing around - he just tells it like it is.

Contrary to expectations, there's a lot of valuable training/running knowledge in there.

He's certainly helped me a huge amount in the last 12-18 months.
  • Options
    Confirmed from my GP that I do have achilles tendonitis.... have a note recommending I switch to restricted duties at work... and to contact Occupational Health to get some physio

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Squall - sorry to hear that. Hopefully you will have a swift recovery. Physio certainally a good idea

jokerman - Wouldn't be the first time someone said that image
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Tinka, your times sound very similar to mine, 15-20 seconds quicker for most distances but a few seconds slower for the half.  My times are reasonably bang on using Macmillan calculators and suchlike for times  across the spectrum, so not sure if you have a minute to take off the 10miler and 1/2marathon without certainly taking more off the shorter runs.

Jokerman, I was thinking reading your fairly abrasive but obviously informed approach you sound just like a fella who was on one of Squall's other threads. I forget the other alias but presume it's you as well. Is that why you hide your forum posts as you change names a lot? Why is that by the way?

What kind of times have you done, I'm presuming some good ones as you seem to have the theory behind the desire to run a lot, whereas a lot, myself included just reel out stacks of miles without much thought.

• Options
    He keeps getting kicked/banned by the forum admins... because people keep putting in complaints about him.

It's starting to irritate me a lot how thin-skinned people are... and how personally they take things. It's just a running forum. I come on here and take everything with a pinch of salt.

And I separate the wheat from the chaff... if I don't like a comment I just let it wash over me.

Jokerman knows his stuff.
  • Options

Squall, know i should of let it go, but i do bite a bit sometimes, just felt a bit patronised, thats all, and i would not talk to people in that manner. Your not a fireman by any chance?.

Stevie g, your probably right, maybe wishfull thinking on my part, but the half had a git of a hill at the end, and i would like to think i have a 1.22 in me for the 1/2. The goals for next year are sub 37, sub 61 and sub 1.23, marathon training should help.

• Options
    Not a fireman, no, a PCSO...
  • Options

This post has prompted me into some reading today. Im reading about the tempo runs and threshold runs, which i was probably doing at the club runs anyway, but im getting an understanding of it.

Also, although i was aware of it but could never concentrate on doing it, is breathing patterns, i tried it on tuesday, by controling the breathing whilst still running hard, and it did seem to work. Although towards the end of the run i slipped back into very fast breating, probably 1/1.

• Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭
    I think it's about taking other peoples advice and using it to your own advantage to see what works best for you at the end of the day. We are all different, some of us have speed naturally, others don't, some of us have the natural physique of a runner, some of us do not. Therefore, I don't think any of the advice in this thread is right or wrong - it's just helpful advice whereby you can form your own informed opinion as to how you want to train. A particular approach that may be recommended could work well for one person, but a completely different approach to training for achieving your desired objectives could work well for someone else. It's not about what is right or wrong for me personally. As long as you do have some sort of structure/put in the time and effort with your training.
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

tinka - Interesting point about breathing.  The more racing I've done, the more I've started to use breathing much more consciously as another tool for pace judgement.  I think this has come especially from doing a series of 5,000m races over the summer; maybe it's the fact that I'm running at close to VO2 max, i.e. getting more experience of what's happening with my breathing when I'm close to max aerobic capacity.

So for the vast majority of a 5,000m race I'll have a 2-2 pattern, but for a good few laps I can afford to let this change to a 2-1 (in-out) without dying towards the end.  This in turn has helped me in 10k's - struggle to keep a 2-2 breathing pattern at halfway and I'm definitely pushing a little too hard.  I think this is especially useful for races in the range 5k - 10k compared to, say, HR because HR is steadily climbing for a good proportion of the race.  I also think it's good for mental toughness - if you know you've reached a certain level of perceived effort in a previous race, you know you can push it at least that hard again, so why not give it some more welly and see what happens!  I'm convinced I kill myself more in races than I used to.  image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Agreed to a lot of the stuff above from different people.

Times wise I'm always more keen to learn on people's progressions through the times barriers then what they do now in isolation.

This is where guys like Barnsley runner and Bryn R are useful as they can tell you how they broke 40mins then all the way through to 33mins or so.

My own story started with a sub 42, and now knocking on the door of sub 37.

Would like to think this can come down a few minutes, but that's the journey we're all on!

To be honest after a cold last week and now some bizarre back strain that leaves walking a little jarred and running painful i'll settle for running without reaction for now!

• Options
    Out of interest, are tempo and threshold runs different or the same, ive been reading this morning and they seem to be conflicting each other, some websites refer to them as the same thing others as two seperate runs, ive been on loads of sites this morning.
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

tinka, sometimes the terms are used interchangeably (sp?) but strictly speaking I understand a threshold run being a subset of a tempo run. i.e. 'Tempo' refers generically to running at a pace which is hard but sustainable, but 'threshold' defines this more precisely as running at lactate threshold (LT), the point beyond which lactic acid accumulates quicker than you can flush it away from the muscles.

LT is thought to be about the pace you can sustain for an hour's racing, or close to 10M in your case, and is a good pace for a classic tempo run (warm-up, 20-30mins @ LT, cool-down).  However, you could equally do a tempo run at, say, HM pace so for the same effort you can keep going for longer - obviously good for practising target HM pace for example. You can still call it a tempo run but you're not running at threshold any more (just below).

Shame I can't do Venn diagrams on here.  image