Options

Sub-39 at the Stubbington 10k

Comments

• Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭
    Someone has just given a very interesting account of todays race on the Sunday 1st November thread! I would have thought a few people would have given it a miss today and wouldn't blame anyone for doing so! A club 5k time trail is next for me now this Tuesday.
  • Options
    Last week was a mixture of me going off too fast and the wind in last 2 miles, this week was purely the conditions. I ran a much more sensible race, so im happy with that. Im thinkin i might do the hayling 10 on the 29th now, cos that will be flat as a pancake, just got to hope that the weather is better!
  • Options
    I'm hoping that I'll actually be able to run before Christmas image
  • Options
    hello everone just started back training.
  • Options
    How's it going?

Got my first physio appointment this friday.
  • Options
    Anyone with any achilles tendinitis experiences??
  • Options

Did my first interval session for ages this morning, 6x 1k at 3.42/km,  2min recovery. First one was tough but then on they were pretty comfortable.

Allowed to do any cross training Squall?

• Options

Eccentric calf stretching would be a good help for achilles tendonitis... Basically heel drops.

Get the physio to do the friction work too, it won't be pleasant though...

Calf stretch as much as you can too. 2 minutes a time on the heel drop.

• Options
    mee meep wrote (see)

Did my first interval session for ages this morning, 6x 1k at 3.42/km,  2min recovery. First one was tough but then on they were pretty comfortable.

Allowed to do any cross training Squall?

MM, randomly that's almost identical to my session tonight!... 1mile warm up 6x1K with 200m recoveries, run at about 5:30-5:45m/m pace (varied slightly due to which direction we were going - one way was slightly up hill, the other slightly down), 1mile warm down.

I've known for ages that I should be doing some longer reps and this was my first crack at it so found it hard but then they're meant to be hard right!

• Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭
    Some good training there....something I would like to do more of and did something similar on Tuesday last week. Had a 5k timetrail with my club tonight...ended it in 18"56 which is a second outside my PB from April but felt fairly comfortable. Slightly dissapointed I didn't beat my PB but also feel positive in that I can work on that such as hopefully improving my 10k time. My shins don't feel great though...get a sharp pain in the one every now so think I am going to be careful for the rest of the week and just get some base mileage in if I can.
  • Options

Spooky Stuart image,  did a very easy 4 last night, then 7 just now at 6.51/m. all easy for the rest of the week.

A good 5k there WJH! The club im with do not do any sort of time trials, do a 5k league with 5 other clubs in the summer but thats it.

• Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Thanks mee meep.image My club is good for doing this in that we have time trails on the first Tuesday of each month. Normally it's 5k but there is also a spring and late summer 5 mile and a summer 10k time trail! Hopefully I will pick up my training on the weekend needed a bit of a rest this week although did have a hockey match last night.

Have you done much XT this week at all Squall?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Hi Squall, I had achilles trouble once, i think the recovery is outlined earlier on this thread, but to summarise

1)calf stretches, stand on stairs, lower heels, one foot at a time, both feet at a time, hold for 30secs or so.

2)normal calf stretch, straight leg, both feet pointing forward, stretching the leg that you send backwards.

3) bent leg calf stretch, bend both legs doing the same stretch as above, works a different muslce in the calf, the science bods will say what the exact name is.

Those 3 stretches, done regulary will strengthen and flex the calf which is a big reason for achilles issues.

I also wore a support over the achilles which I still wear to this day. To be honest i could probably do without, but It works for me!

Obviously once you're back fully fit, incorporate all these stretches into your post run stretching.

I always do the heel dip one before runs too,as although they say never stretch a cold muscle I find it works for me.

How's it feel at the moment? Pain on walking or just on running?

• Options

Swift 10miles with the club last night, will go out for another club run tonight (currently running with two clubs) before easing down before my first cross country outing of the season at the weekend which I'm looking forward to.

Not sure how sustainable running with 2 clubs will be as that means consecutive club nights Tue/Wed/Thurs and I want to ensure I don't over do it but I do find it's better to do the quality work with the club.

Hope everyone elses training is going well and that you're not bouncing off the walls too much Squal!

• Options

Hmm I suspected as much Jokerman. Tuesday / Thursday is with one club Tuesday being a speed session and Thursday being either hilly or a tempo run, Wednesday (with the other club) tends to be longish but fairly fast as well.

Only done it for a couple weeks but may have to drop the Wednesday one to give myself a chance to recover and avoid burning out / getting injured. Or alternatively just go down on the Wednesday if I can't make one of the other sessions.

I like both clubs (one is a Fell running club, one is road) but should recognise that trying to do everything is risky.

• Options

Stevie G: Pain going up and down stairs... and prolonged walking/driving. I don't dare try running... my GP would be even more angry with me!

I shall definitely give those stretches a go though, thanks for the advice.

Got physio tomorrow morning, so I shall see what they say as well. 

• Options
    Stuart h- just be careful mate i tried 3 club nights in a row , quality ect , 4 weeks after doing that i broke down with shin splints in a race! Learnt my lesson the hard way!
  • Options
    Fair point LG, after this week I definitely don't think it's sustainable and am going to err on the side of caution, besides I won't be getting anything out of the training if I'm running tired all the time.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    mee meep...is that Burnham you run with?
  • Options

Stuart, obviously there's a risk of injury from overdoing consecutive hard sessions but IMO the biggest risk is not allowing recovery from the speedier session on the Tuesday.  So I agree that your 'default' days for club running ought to be Tue/Thu, with an easy run on the Wednesday.  Back to back hard sessions on occasions should be fine, e.g. if you're missing Tuesday, a steady run followed by a tempo run would be manageable with a rest or recovery on the Friday.

Wish I had a fell running club round my way.  Fancy a bit of that!

• Options

Stevie G, no its Wargrave, you're with Marlow aren't you? Some pretty impressive times in the 5k runs last year for you weren't there?   Do Marlow do any speed sessions at all?

Rest day today before LSR tomorrow morning.

How did the physio go Squall?

• Options

Still on light duties and no running for the next 10-14 days...

Got  2 more sessions booked for next week: Massage and Ultrasound. In the mean time, lots of stretching and icing at home. Been doing upper body weights sessions... but i'm itching to do some decent cardio image

• Options

Stuart

If you are young it's often good to sometimes do back to back quality days rather than a day between.  You may find that you always feel the quality session 2 days later rather than the next day.

Of course at my ripe old age (36) I do my quality on tuesday and friday and avoid the 2 day effect that way.

I would never do 3 in a row, but maybe if you're very young.....

As for club / group runs in my opinion it's the number one cause of people training inappropriately fast.  Try not to get sucked in (if you can get sucked off, then more power to you)!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Mee Meep, yep Marlow for me. We do some speed sessions at the moment, but so far they've been a bit short for my liking, like 100-200metre sprints, great for football, but not great for race distances of 5k upwards!

5k series went quite well, surprised myself by getting my quickest time at the toughest course Burnham! Then surprising myself by not matching this at Maidenhead! Sometimes i'ts about getting into a race with people, and also the grassy nature of Maidenhead doesn't help.

Is an odd series with 2 races on road, then the others being 2 lappers, mixing grass and road so you're never quite sure which is the fastest course!

How'd the series go for you?You've got one guy up the front of the field, who I was edging at the start  of the series but he came back strong in the last couple of races.

Squall, have faith, you'll come back stronger and faster than before, as long as you give it the right time. You might even look back and see it as a good thing as you can take stock and re evaluate your programme, stretching etc.

Moraghan, I can see that about people running too fast in groups clubs runs.We had some new guys who one week went with the slower women, then someone suggested they go in a faster group. Over the summer I regularly ran some 6-8milers with a guy who's about 4mins slower over 10k but this was actually fine as we both ran these sessions together but at a pace that benefitted both. However, we added a few more guys into the pack, some a fair few mins slower than the guy 4mins slower than me, and you could see that was a bad mix! With more runnes the competition element comes out, and the slower guys think they have to compete and it all ends with them running well above their limit, which over 6-8miles is not recmommended!

• Options

Phil / Moraghan - thanks for the advice, good to know I can do back to back every once in a while as that gives me a bit of flexibility in he routine but I'm gonna definitely try and space out my quality sessions to allow myself to recover and get the full benefit from them. As for young / old well I guess I'm probably somewhere in between! image

Phil - if you ever happen to be in the vicinity of a fell race you should give it a crack, I'm a recent convert and am absolutely hooked! I love running off road and being out in the hills so it's right up my street and I feel quite spoilt living right on the edge of the peak district where particularily through the summer there are absolutely loads of races. You could race a couple times a week if you wanted to... obviously though, that would be overdoing it! image

• Options

I'm going to look into a more balanced approach to fitness when I return. I have horrendous flexbility issues that need to be addressed.. so maybe once weekly yoga/pilates/body balance etc.

• Options

Squall - get a qualified sports massage as soon as you can.  Nothing is better for highlighting tight areas.  If you have an achilles problem you'll probably be intears when they attack your soleus!

• Options

That's what i'm worried about! Deep tissue massage sounds bad!

I'm stretching my calves every couple of hours over this weekend.