Options

Sub-39 at the Stubbington 10k

Comments

• Options

Thanks phil.

So for me a tempo would be 20-30 min at 6.10mm and a threshold would be an hour at a little slower, if ive understood  it right.?

• Options

Isn't it the other way round Tinka, threshold (i.e. lactate threshold) is where if you push it any harder and your legs will die quickly. Tempo you're still working hard but can be sustained for slightly longer?

Happy to be put straight though, I'm already learning  a lot from this thread! image

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    No, the 20-30 min at 6.10 is a threshold run.  If you can sustain a certain pace for 1 hour without being exhausted, it's no longer a tempo run, probably more like marathon pace run.  Nothing wrong with that generally but it's not having the same stimulus as a tempo run in improving your threshold.  The alternative to the threshold run is a tempo run @ HM pace, or around 6:20/m, but for no more than 35 - 40 mins, or you could build up to this by doing 2 x 15/20 @ HM with a 10mins jog in between, then moving on to a continuous run.
  • Options

Thanks Stuart/Phil.

I can see why i dont have much structure to my training, its confused the hell outa me.

• Options

I always seem to struggle to hit my threshold pace (taken from Daniels vdot charts) during tempo runs. I can manage the (Daniels estimated) pace for long and short reps ok but always seem to be 15-20 secs off the pace when I do a tempo run.

Maybe I'll try running them on a track (could be quite boring) as it could be down to the slightly undulating loop I run.

Probably just need to do them more regularly as I keep avoiding doing them! 

• Options

Im not gonna bother commenting, except that my haphazard approach and lack of knowledge has rewarded me with 10pb's this year.

I aint biting anymoreimage.

Squall, good luck with your sub 39 you will get there no problem, with the exception of some, thanks all for your constructive polite replies, thats the kind of forum i expect.

• Options

It's the "comfortably hard" thing I don't get. Obviously I could hit the pace if I really wanted too but it certainly wouldn't be "comfortably hard" just hard!

I usually do 2 mile warm up, 4 mile tempo, 2 mile warm down, so think I'm warmed up ok.

Like you say, you have to be pysched up for it. I do my track sessions with a group and that helps pull me through sessions I don't think I could manage on my own so maybe I need to start running my tempo's with a partner.

Might look at buying a HR monitor.

• Options

Jokerman, your probably right about my progression. Regarding your straight talking, your not Yifter with a different name are you? image

Midnight Rambler, ive experienced similar things on tempo runs aswell. I always think the main thing is to maintain the effort and get the run done, even if its 10/15 secs per mile down, I guess im still getting a lot out of the session. Plus where I live can get very windy, so have to take that into account.  

• Options
    Are we talking about the real Yifter or Yifter from the RW forums?

Ronnie.. Yifter.. Zanzinger... Prefontaine.. who cares what we call you.
  • Options
    Eugh.. no running for 4 weeks... this is shit.
  • Options
    just have to get some x training in Squall. are you ok to cycle?
  • Options
    I don't know...,

I might try swimming and cycling and see how they feel. I'll definitely get some upper body weights stuff in.., I can't just do nothing.
  • Options

Squal - I've just had 10days off, had to do nothing for the first week which did my nut but then I did cross training in the gym along with a few spinning sessions and whilst yes it wasn't the same as getting out for a good run it was definitely better than nothing! Back out for my first run last night 7.5miles with the club and the pace was a bit harsh for me first run back but it'll come back quickly I'm sure.

Get what you can in and hopefully the time will fly by without too much impact on your fitness.

• Options
    Squall it feels like forever now but it will go so quick, i spent hours and hours in the pool and i really think its made me stronger overall, and after all that swimming a definite crack at a  triathlon in the new year!
  • Options
    Any advice welcome. i am a fifty year old woman and  I have only ever done one race a 10k in 58mins about six weeks ago. I missed the GSR having had a fall on the friday. I am doing a half marathon in two weeks time. I stareted running again this week. On Monday did five miles, Tuesday cycled 50 miles, Wednesday 8 miles, Thursday 5 mile and today 8 miles in a very slow time of 1.26.  Suggestions please.image
  • Options
    How frequently a week do you currently run... and would be prepared to run?

I'm a big believer in frequency as the best path to progression..
  • Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Hiya Peacefultwo! image  That's unlucky with the GSR! As for the half marathon, do you mean the Gosport Half Marathon by any chance since this is in a few weeks time?

As for your training, I am certainly no way the best person on here to give advice by a long shot but would say just keep on going....and would be a bonus if you could get a 10 mile run in if not this weekend, then some point next week? Then taper down your training particularly the mileage in the week leading up to the half marathon? As I say, I am sure there would be others who would give more sound advice than this! image

Squall - sorry to hear about your achillies problems...it's certainly very fustrating and I hope it recovers in time for you to put in some good training between now and January! Hopefully some decent cross training to do though in the meantime?

As for my running training this week, it has a bit patchy as other things have come up....however, I did a 5k on the treadmill tonight and managed to get 18"31, quite a bit better than my previous treadmill best of 18"54 and was quite suprised at this. I think losing a few more pounds and running some longer runs/races is benefiting me a little lately. Hopefully some more normal structured training next week but have the Lordshill 10 mile this Sunday first off.

• Options
    Hopefully sorting some physio out in the next couple of days. Hit the gym yesterday for an upper body weights workout... but I really want to get back out on the road.

Bloody injury. This seems to happen to me any time I'm getting anywhere.
  • Options
    The doctor and I agreed it was my footwear... I'd done circa 500 miles in my current shoes when I ran the GSR and they'd been in use since mid-April.. so were probably due a change.

I've already bought replacements for when I'm able to run again.

I over-pronate badly... so having support shoes that were worn out and didn't provide support for a hard 10 mile race... probably wasn't sensible.

• Options
    Just back from the Lordshill 10, finished in 61.40, almost exact time as last week at the GSR! A bit frustrated because I reckon in better conditions I might have got under 60. Very windy in places and a lot of the course was ankle deep in water! Having said that I'm a lot happier with how I paced myself today, didnt go off too fast.
  • Options
    Sounds a bit mental! Not a big fan of trudging through lakes myself.
  • Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭
    Agreed Scott the conditions were dire...the canopy almost blew off when I was paying for my entry...I think I was a minute almost exactly under my time from last week and wasn't expecting a PB today. Think I managed about 69 minutes or maybe a few seconds under. The end of that was a nightmare though it was difficult getting a good grip with the grass having turned to mud. That's a good time especially if it's the same as last week, I know a few others like myself were a minute under their GSR time from last week.
  • Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭
    Got to admit that when I turned up, I wondered what on earth I was doing there for a few minutes...the marshalls had a tough job today but did well in the conditions too.
  • Options
    Yeah I don't fancy being a marshall in that. My mum was down to run... but she didn't fancy the conditions... as her expected time would've been in the 1hr 40 mins range.