Options

Dublin Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options
    ah, I was chatting to welsh flag bloke at end (I am also welsh)

I had a white vest on, blue woolly hat with sunglasses
  • Options
    vellooo wrote (see)
    I still can't walk downstairs cos my legs are so sore! Thought the atmosphere was great, I met some lovely runners on the course and around the city. My heros are the guys who did the 3.45 pacing group, it was so helpful having them there, I think I would've really flagged without them. As it was my first (and maybe last) marathon I wasn't sure what to expect, so not being blue lighted off the course was major bonus. Got a sub 3.45 (just)
    I was one of the 3.45 pacers mate. Did we have any banter i wonder?
  • Options
    This is now officially my favourite marathon. Brilliant organisation, great pacing teams, fabulous city and some of the warmest, friendliest crowds this side of heaven. For me, it was even better than London and I'm a Londoner! I want to do it again - now!! (Not really, legs a wee bit tender but I'll be back next year).
  • Options

image WRITTEN REAL FAST...EXCUSE ALL TYPOS...IN A RUSH...

EVERYONE Good show - been reading back..well done

PADDY - Bloody hell, that's a great time...holy cow...

ME: 3.15.37 CHIP TIME (3.16.22 on the clock) - pretty happy in that I set out to do a 3.15 (that was goal A)...after ten miles with the 3.15 pacer, I was really cruising & I thought to myself, 'mightn't get conditions as perfect as this for the Dub Mara again for a while, & my legs are feeling good, so I may as well take a gamble (not too reckless) & just go for it'...so go for it I did...& with about maybe 3 & 1/2 miles to go, I seriously thought it was game on for a possible 3.11 or something better, but out of nowhere I got one hell of a cramp at the rear of my left thigh...I pressed on ignoring the jolts of pain (which lasted for only a second at a time with maybe twenty second intervals) & then at mile 24 or thereabouts I'd no option but to come to a complete halt...I was completely immobile...some of the crowd were screaming, 'Go on, go on! you're so close'...but this wasn't a case of giving up, more a case of simply having turned into a statue...the back of the leg felt so sore & so tight that I'd to ask a Garda on a bike if there was a physio around...he said he'd go off & get one...I stretched for a about a minute & a half or so whilst I was waiting, & then out of the blue my leg went back to normal! & off I went again, very cautioulsy for the first half mile (waving to the Garda that I was okay again), but then as my confidence came back I lashed through the last mile & a half (which felt pretty cool as I ripped through loads of runners at the point in the course where there's the most spectators, & more importantly where the gf & the bro were wathcing - what a dejected site I'd only been minutes earlier/what a contrast)...my legs have made a really quick recovery (stairs aren't a problem), but although I'm chuffed with my time, there is that nagging feeling of, 'if only...' - greedy I know, but hey, we all want to get quicker...

I'm going to aim for a 2.59 for next year, but first I've to research what causes such a sudden & severe, yet temporary cramp...it cost me I'd estimate about 5 mins or so (but the time you get, is the time you get, so it's not an excuse...maybe I'd have pulled up anyway even if I'd been taking it more cautiously...I was hydrated & fuelled & everything & the strange thing is the area feels fine at mo)...

Anyway, what a great marathon...I've run in Lisbon, Seville, & Prague, but Dublin is just ace - the best...(& that's not just hometown bias speaking!)...singing the National Anthem at the start, that stretch through the Phoenix Park et cetera, coming in aroung College Green, the atmosphere, oh yeah, roll on DCM 2012, YEAH! image

• Options

Hi Frank!

Thank you so much for the amazing job you did in the pacing group. If you were accosted in Kennedy's by a short woman (me) and tall bloke both English with dark hair and slightly overwhelmed, then yes we did chat. During the run itself banter was beyond me!

Thanks again image

• Options

Hey Jimmy - we're from Neath so how did we miss the familiar accent.

Just a small grumble: For once, because of the performance fabric, I'd use the top but despite asking for an extra small, it's huge - can wrap twice around me and sleeves are 9 inches too long - the neck is down to my chest(?) - anyone want to swap?

• Options

Hi all,

Well done Eastham, glad you enjoyed your day.  Great times Jimmy, Vellooo and Adog, congrats Thomas and good luck at Edinburgh. Well done Celtic, and what a bizarre coincidence finishing next to someone with the same name, guess it is a small world!

Iron Tractor Boy, I'm quite new to MTC so don't know that many people yet, I'll look out for an Ipswich fan though - I agree that there won't be many! Well done on your sub 4;30.

ffRAN, I thought the tops were a bit on the large side too.  Not an issue for me though as I'm not a big fan of long sleeves and just stick them under all my other clothes when I'm cycling in winter!   Mine is bigger than yours though so wouldn't be much good for a swap. So, are you going for Snowdon at the weekend then?

• Options
    Glad I'm not the only one who's a bit sore today, although the legs are definitely getting better. Had to go to bed for an hour this afternoon though so obviously not quite recovered yet!!

Been messing around on the TDS live site, and you can get your positions at each of the split points as well as at the finish. Initially I was pleased to see I'd finished in the top half, but it appears I passed about 600 people in the last 12k! I know it spurred me on when I was still running and others were walking/hobbling but didn't realise I'd made up quite that much ground!!

Anyway, having said "never again" after crossing the line, I'm already wondering when I can have a stab at sub-4 hrs - charity place for VLM 2011 maybe?!

By the way Ffran - I too have an x-small top which is on the large side. Might just about get away with running in it but never going to be a fashion item!!
  • Options

Hey K.P it get's even more bizarre, we finished bang on the same time! I checked out the video and the guy actually catches up on me and we pass the line together !! Really weird-ed out by this.

I'm also a little bit peeved the guy was 11 minutes behind me at half way and 10 minutes behind me at 30k. I need to work on my finishing lol  image

• Options

Celt - that is spooky.  Think next year's race will be on Halloween, perhaps you could get your revenge then!

Tangle, it's always good to finish strong, good luck with your sub-4 attempt. I'm doing my first ultras in January and March, but I've entered the North Dorset Marathon in May and am pretty certain I'll do Sussex in April as my spring marathons next year.  Still got 3 left this year, but they're mainly training runs for the ultras.  Targetting North Dorset for my next pb attempt.  I'm also pretty certain I'll do Dublin again next year, can't help myself!

• Options

Ran the marathon on Monday, my first......really great event and will definately do it again!!

Well done to all who competed and organised this great event.

Jamie

• Options

Wow.. Well done everyone!

I've only just got home so loads of posts to read and to many to respond to each. I had a brilliant day ( I'm the one walking as got injured in week two of training ) I have never walked a marathon before and was much more daunted and nervous than when I run and was so expecting to have to pull out with shin problems or at least have bad patches...but I sailed around without a single bad moment! It was fun having no pressure about times and I was happy to do it well under 7 hours ( 6.42 ) and even got my first ever negative split ! ( 2nd half 30 mins faster ! )

Now I can start running again ....

• Options
    JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    tangle how did you get the positions at the splits? I'm probably being a bit slow - got my times at splits but not position. Also it's a niggle but overall place and category place is based on gun time not chip time. So i'll just tell myself I was a lot higher placed in category!! Mind you top time my age group was 2:32 which I don't think I'll ever get close to that - next target is sub 3:30!
  • Options

Jeremy- I noticed that place/ times didn't quite make sense.But don't care really either way - just thrilled at race overall.

Adog - great report , felt I was with you all the way, instead of way back in the pack.

Tangle, see you in London?

Glad you enjoyed Jamie.

Really well done Sarah - you'll enjoy your running all the more now - brilliant time.

Everyone - resounding success all round - NO-ONE has been disappointed with their day!

I can't do Snowdon - bibs non-transferable (as always) but you register half hour before the race as it's a relatively small field (1900) and I won't pass as a 32 year old male! Shame as I really know I could do it even though it may not be that sensible - no niggles, aches or pains at all - obviously didn't work hard enough! Only casualty was that when I took off the Compeeds from my toes (I've lost my toenails on other runs) my daughters screamed - my red nail varnish came off with the plaster - looked gory!

• Options
    JeremyG - go to tds-live.com and find Dublin Marathon, rather than using the official DCM website. Then click on 'Ranking Online' on lefthand menu (you might need to change the language to English first!). This lets you look at your times at various points by using the top drop-down menu and gives you your overall position, as well as your position in your race category.

Well done Sarah - was wondering how you'd got on earlier. Enjoy your running now!!
  • Options

Jermey G, yeah, Tangle is right; here's the link to the relevant English language tds page (just copy & paste it & slam either your name or bib number into the box top centre then click on your name when it appears with the race time for the low down on your ranking at splits, delta times et cetera, average per km time at main splits, blah, blah):

http://www.tds-live.com/ns/index.jsp?login=&password=&is_domenica=-1&nextRaceId=&dpbib=&dpcat=&dpsex=&id=3003&pageType=1&servizio=000&locale=2057

...it's pretty cool

• Options

Morning all ! Agree with all the previous posts, was a fantastic race with fantastic crowds ! Achieved my sub 3:30 with a time of 3:28:21 ! Been aiming for that for my last three marathons (this was my 5th) so it is fantastic to finally achieve it at Dublin.

Thought the course was hillier than advertised, but felt that kept it interesting (!). Conditions were absolutely perfect! No wind ! We were in Phoneix park yesterday and the wind picked up - that would have beena  whole different experience! Pacers were excellent - many thanks to Tony manning the 3:30 balloon !

Only gripe would be the water stations - each one was a rugby scrum ! So chaotic....

Celebrated with a lot of Guiness at the Storehouse. Fantastic Irish hospitality meant there were more free pints offered than I could drink ! Definately a good decision to wear my medal there !

Thanks to all for all your advice and motivation. Really great race that I would certainly recommend !

• Options
    JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭

adog/tangle thanks for the link to TDS - looking at my times etc gives me hope for sub 3:30, min/km were 5:46/5:31/5:25/5:19 - from 30km I moved up 989 places!!

Tricky I agree the water stations were a bit packed in the first half esp- I took my own water bottle so I wouldn't need any in the first half - used to wearing it on LSR's anyway

• Options
    Some of the photos are up now on marathonfoto.com - none of the finish yet but some amusing ones of me being chased by a leprechaun!!

It says that 50% have been uploaded so far.
  • Options

Hi all,

Tangle, did he/she catch you?!  Well done Sarah, that's a fantastic time, good luck with your running, and enjoy.

Thanks for the info on the TDS site.  Jeremy, your stats are great, getting quicker all the way.  Mine were pretty steady, 5.51, 5.42, 5.38, 5.41.  It was quite interesting to see as I'd never really thought about breaking it down that way before.  I was quite surprised the first and last stats weren't reversed though with the way I struggled in the last mile.

Hope everyone is recovering well.

• Options
    A work colleagues Mother won the over 60 category for the second year on the trot in 3:41 it makes my 4:30 look a bit weakimage. I think she only started running a few years ago to lose some weight.
  • Options

Thanks for the encouragement KP.

I have to say it was delightful not to have any bits where I struggled and I had such a fun day...so many people to talk to !  Still aiming for my 4.30 goal though so will definitely get running as soon as the blisters have healed. Never again will I wear posh running socks! Sainsbury's had run out of their cheap blister resist two pairs for £5 so put on some posh ones I had in my drawer...I've never ever had blisters before these 2" long beauties.

• Options

hi all, congraz to everyone for taking part and finishing the dublin marathon. 

it is the best that race i did so far and it will be very hard to get a marathon that will be this for me.

the support around the route was fantastic, the marshell were great, a lovely city,

and all the runners were great with support.  10 out of 10.

i am very happy with my time of 3.09 and i am now the fastest runner to run a marathon

and if you seen me on the course, thanks for your good lucks.

the leprechaun lol

• Options

Sarah - I bet you had a great craic  - I had so much banter with the crowds - I loved it!  Blisters- just badges of honour!!! I still have the photos of my awful swollen, bruised toes from FLM 09, where I lost 7 toenails - disgusting - but they remind me how hard I worked.

I'm still buzzing - I've exhausted everyone who is/was willing to listen to my race story, I really need to do something now. So in half an hour - spin and gym - has to be done. (Did spin and gym Wed, and a little run yesterday just to loosen up)

I've lined up a few races pre-Xmas and a set of great training  runs for London '11 but am then contemplating:-

a) Chicago; b )Berlin;  or c) Budapest for the Autumn: Only 2 a year for me, I'm afraid, KP.

Oh, and Big Sur OR Two Oceans(Ultra)  for Spring '12 - Yes, I'm a tourist marathoner!

• Options

Hey ffRan ,

Me too, still buzzing. Not actually done anything yet tho! Thinking of taking another week off as I have some boozy nights coming up. Then I'll ease back in to training.  

A friend of mine just did Chicago , she said it was amazing however the temperature was pretty sizzling for a marathon. Not sure how ya go in the heat! I hear Berlin is another brill marathon, very fast.

Myself I am looking at Rotterdam in April. I hear it's in the top 10? so I'm told. Looks pretty cool.

• Options

Rotterdam - great marathon, I hear. I've been told off for going back to gym but I'm not doing anything other that stretching and loosening exercises.

I've been to Berlin - crazy city - spent New Year's Eve at the Brandenburg Gate. But I would love to run around the city. OH has a cousin we could stay with in Chigago and I would just love to see Budapest.

• Options
    How did I miss the message from our very own lucky leprechaun?
  • Options

Thinking of doing Barcelona in March, I can get cheap flights for €50 but it arrives in El Prat at 17:20 the day before and you have to collect your bib on that day from the Expo. unfortunately I have no idea when the Expo Closes. Anybody done Barcelona before?

It seems we all have Marathon fever!

• Options

Brilliant isn't it - Does anyone do a marathon and then say , well that's it, I've done the very best I can?

I'm on the quest of that GFA time - may be next year.

• Options
    You lot are hardcore! The thought of running 26.2 miles again makes me want to cry.