Options

The 2010 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options
    What!

Scary stuff Fiona.

There's some nutters out there...
  • Options

Fionaimageimageimage Any cctv nearby? I really would report that to the police!!

I was good tonight and ran my MLR in a more conservative and controlled manner-image - 12m in 1:34.25 with first 7m around MP+15-20% and last 5m MP + 10% Splits: 8:17 8:06 8:06 8:03 8:02 8:09 8:11 7:32 7:29 7:30 7:30 7:28

• Options

Erm. The world is full of wierdos, unfortunately. Good job you're ok though Fiona.

And yes, last nights 17.5 miles was on a mountain bike.image

• Options
    jayc- A semi-local race to consider for you next year-  Ras Cors Caron (Tregaron Half m) Sun 13th Feb- couple of very interesting hills and a very flat straight last 3m through a SSSI make for a great race. Did it last year and loved it. Even better, it's £10 in advance (affiliated) which includes a free bowl of cawl with bread and cheese afterwards in the rugby club!image 
  • Options
    That's what I was wondering

4 miles easy for me in the drizzle. Cough has mostly gone and blocked nose has now turned into a runny nose.
  • Options

sorry, guys- cawl is a Welsh name for soup- though generally refers to a tasty meat and veg stew type dish- very welcome after a chilly halfimage

Mr S- glad you've cleared your blockageimage

• Options

Fiona glad your ok after "well done on the 5:46mmimage

Jason well done on your MLR hope you enjoy your cawl.

Jay well done on the bike work.

Looks like snow tonight so treadmill looking good for tomorrow as at workimage Gobi shorts and no hat or glovesimage

• Options
    Did 5.35 miles last night.  Have got the club Jingle Bells run tonight.  We all go together and tour the local light displays so a stop-start 4 miles or so followed by nibbles in the pub.  The best displays tend to get a rendition of 'We wish you a merry Christmas'.  Oh yes, we all pin bells on as well image
  • Options

A nice uneventful 9 miles last night!

Snow here this morning but not too bad yet. Hope the TM does not die on me - the belt seems to have moved to the left, not sure if I can fix it myself! The hat and gloves eventually come off on the TM! image

Cawl sounds nice.image 

Good that you're almost better Mr Spoons.

Nice MLR jason. I'm enjoying running longer distances through the week but all at a relaxed pace at the moment!

F

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    It is rather warm here today so the snow must be coming.

78 minutes on the turbo today as it is Thursday

Running a few times later
  • Options

Nice running folks.

OMG Fiona - scary stuff. But good to clock a fast pace while you're at it! Let's hope that's the last you see of him. The worst I have had is some jeering out of a car and a few wolf whistles (which I don't mind reallyimage)...oh I forgot I did get shoved in London off the pavement into the road over London Bridge a year or so ago by some nutter who thought I was invading his space by running past him.

Glad you're on the mend Mr S.

Intervals yesterday - 5 x 1km with 500m recoveries.

• Options
    Dangerous thing this running at times. Glad you ok Fiona.

Everyone seems to be running well at this stage...

A comfortable 4 miles this morning with 2mins gym work afters. A nice start to the day....
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Well done on everyone's training.  Hope the weather is kind over the next few days.
  • Options

Snow here now image but not too bad so hope it stays that way!

Nice gym work after the run AGF image

Some people just seem to have it in for runners/cyclists. Maybe it's their guilty conscience!

F

• Options

AGF- nice start to the dayimage

6m nice and slow recovery plod for me tonight- last half a mile in a snowstormimage- not sticking at the moment though cos roads are too wetimage

• Options

Awwwww.... everyone seems to be having snow except me image   image

Rest day today 'cos my left hamstring felt a bit tight and I don't want to do any damage 'cos it's the Merthyr Mawr Xmas Pudding 10K on Sunday. Assuming I can get there through any snowdrifts image

Jason - thanks for the heads up on the Tregaron HM. I think that's the same date as the Dursley Dozen but I haven't entered yet so it's a case of making my mind up. Cawl sounds nice tho!

I get loads of gobby kids shouting at me on my commutes. Although they shut up fairly quickly when I skid to a halt, turn around and ask them what their problem is... image

I suppose the worst I've had is the cliche "run forest run" from the odd chav in a car when running...

A couple of teenagers on a scooter told me to speed up in the lanes behind the house once but baulked at the idea of joining me for the 15 remaining miles of my LSR image

• Options
    Jayc- you're welcome- sent my entry and a cheque for a tenner off today! I don't want anymore snow!!!!! Good luck with the Pudding Run- missed the entry this year, but would love to do that one too!
  • Options
    Snow here!

I'm still not 100% so did an easy half hour on the treadmill to keep things ticking over.

Fiona, I hope your treadmill doesn't give up. could be a nightmare with lots of snow.
  • Options

Mr S- well doneimage 

Snowing here tooimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Not happy!

• Options

6 miles am with 5 @6:22 pace, 6 miles pm easy @ 8:00 pace all on the treadmill follwed by lots of work due to lots of snow, some people just don't slow down on the roads no matter what the conditions are like.

Mr S well done on the treadmill.

Fiona same to you, I am sure if you slacken the belt you will be able to move it back and then tighten it back up.

Jayc hope the hamstring is ok.

Freemers well done on your intervals, I'll give them a miss for a couple of months.

AGF Well don in the gym.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Snow came and went

NP - Who needs intervals when you can run 5@6.22 image

This evening I had a curry
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    We had some snow last night.  I'm really hoping we don't get much snow between here & Nuneaton as we're due to do a present swap with Chris' parents on Sunday.
  • Options
    Lots of snow hereimageimageimage
  • Options
    No swim this morning due to snow, 3rd time this year I have had to fit the snow chains to the works car.
    Gobi: I hate intervals I think it's an age thing, will do some in late Feb/mar. I also hope to bring the tempos down to 6:05/6:10 by March.
  • Options

Bit of snow in Suffolk, and expecting more I think. Haven't ventured outside yet (working at home today) so not sure if the roads are OK to run - if not I'll be hitting the dreadmill later.

Like HY4 I'm meant to be doing a family present swap this weekend, and I need to drive to Surrey tomorrow, let's hope the roads are OK.

What type of curry Gobi?

• Options

I hate intervals too but will slot them in when I need to in the marathon plan...in fact are intervals beneficial for marathon training? image

Snow here - a lot of it. It's horrid. 5 miles on the TM this morning, will try to fix it at the weekend. Thanks NP, never thought of that.

Haven't had curry for ages, yum. Christmas work night out tonight so loads of food but I'll be driving so no alcohol.

F

• Options
    Wow, lots of snow everywhere... Except here in warwick which has a dusting.

Good to hear the treadmill is still going fiona. Lots of other TM running too.

I managed 44 mins jogging on TM this morning. Some swimming and gym work planned tomorrow...
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I am getting quite in to doing very short speed work. Definately went too hard last night considering I had a VO2 test this morning to help with an Asthma study.

Curry was Chicken with boiled rice and a plain nan
  • Options
    Quite a bit of snow in North Norfolk and very icy.

It took me over 2 hours to get to work image