Options

for all new runners ..... (part 2)

Comments

• Options

Hey Ecky!

All new peeps on here!

I've bee away from running for so long.  after the Edinburgh mara and physio and all that - i kinda lost my mojo but managed the Birmingham half in October but didnt really train and hadnt run in months after that.

Went for a short 3 miler a few weeks ago, it was nice but how unfit do i feel?! image I havent had the time to be honest, my rock climbing has really taken over and since i'm working towards my teaching qual, it really is everything (and i'm loving it)

I am however tempted at a half mara race which is a real popular one near me - i have done it once but had to pull out last summer because of my injury.  A few peeps i know are running so it would be nice to do and a reason to get me to run again.

I may put it on my list to do for this afternoon so watch this space.

I havent looked back on the threas, have all the old peeps disappeared then?

How have you been and how's your running going?

• Options

Sounds like you have been really busy.Well done on the Rock Climbing,sounds like its a real passion for you. Im like that with running,Im looking at helping at Athletics club and maybe looking at coaching. I did the EDF and loved it,apart from it taking 6 mins to get over the finnish line. Come on,you can do it. Im up for the Great North again this year so really exited.I must admit I have been running more than ever. I am managing to run 10 milers most weekends now and am down to my target weight so finding it a lot easier.

Most of the old peeps have dissapeared,still a couple lurking.

• Options

I remember now that you did EDF too. Yeah that was a balls up at the finish, luckily i got through just before it started backing up over the finish line - that was pants.

Well it is offical - i am now entered for the Potters Arf in June so ive got a reason to get my ass into gear even though i will struggle to find the time.

Sounds like you're still going strong Ecky so well done you!

Its a shame most of the old peeps have disappeared - but i am as guilty as ever but still like to pop in every now and again.

Must go dust my trainers off and go get a plan sorted.

Will be back soon image

• Options
    You go for it Cheetara,you can do it.
  • Options

Howdy chickydees,  suns out, carbs r in & im off for a long run.  Go on get out there!  ill see you in a few hours hope all is well xx

• Options
    Hi Choc,how did the run go. Im off for a longish one tomorrow.
  • Options
    Hey all, back to basics again for me, had a major cba attack and now my achilles is playing up - think mainly down to tight calves, but starting to get a few run/walks in. Have a 5 miler lined up for May bank holiday, a little jaunt off to the Midlands for an 8 miler in June (you know about that one, Ecky image ) and then the kilomathon in October, so a few sensible targets to help keep me focussed.
  • Options
    Yey,I cant wait for that one.You will be brill. I must admit I had a bit of trouble with tight calves,makes my ankle problem flare up again.I need to stretch more than I am.
  • Options
    Hello......hello........anybody there?........... image     ok ill talk to the dark..... felt long run went good today, i changed my fuel combo last night & this morning & felt it made a difference less sluggish,  weather was better (im such a cold run type 'a' gal) , was dreading the running against traffic espesh all the hgvs but my faith is restored only one tried to knock me over! Twas lovely running past derwent water if you can tune out  from the traffic noise its blss.  talked to myself to keep my pace right the new running world issue has a mantra article i pickt 1 & repeated it often, sorry unprintable!  had a gel every 5 miles expecting the last one to get me through to 20m unfortunately a sucumbed to a pesky steady climb at 16 & 1/2 i nearlly got down & crawled!! the elusive 20 is in my sights i aint come this far to be defeated!  hows everyone else? i thought id have pages & pages to catch up on..... comeon comeback x ps top tip for the ladies (or gents if your so inclined) dont wear underwear of the string variety without lubricant im doing a fine impression of john wayne !!!!!! (ouch)    image  
  • Options
    Heloooooooo Choc,very quiet here now,everyone has run away.Nice bunch of people too on Just a little bit further,make you very welcome.
  • Options

hey ecky hows your fettle? hope all is well, oh what a shame people have deserted ill check you out on the above post ta for keeping me informed image

• Options

Yeh tis a shame,hardly anyone on here now.

Fantastic run BTW,ouch on the chafe.

Im training hard for the league now,first race is a HM on May 1st.Im so scared as its very hilly.

• Options
    I haven't run away - I can't run anywhere, well not very far anyway!! Need to sort out accomodation for the GMFR, can you recommend anywhere Ecky?
  • Options
    There is a Moto at the services on the m42 at junction 10.Its just over from our house and you would be more than wecome to come over and have some breccie before we go.Is it just you Kwala?
  • Options
    Ta Ecky - have replied on FB. Did 4.2 with my PT on monday night in about an hour, so should be able to get round in about 2 hours, hopefully less by then- got a couple of months to build up to it image
  • Options
    You will do that easy Kwala,I reckon you will be quicker. image
  • Options
    Is there anyone still about from this thread, I used to post on the original thread 2yrs ago, lostkat,Albion?????
  • Options
    AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭

Hey,I have just returned !!!

Anyone else still lurking ? image

• Options
    Hooray Albion, someone I know!!!

How's the little one??

How's your running going??

A quick recap,

Been running fairly well for the last few years, I have been running with my friend in work for the last 8 months which has made a huge difference, we have run a few 10ks over the summer and we ran the Derry half marathon on 11th sept

We run twice a week at work, about 3.5 miles, once by ourselves, 4 to 6 and then lsr at the weekend, 7 to 9, we ran up to 11 before the half marathon but decided 7to9 is plenty to keep us ticking over

Changed trainers two months ago, from brooks to saucony and struggled with the worlds worst blister the entire time, took them back to my running shop last week and they very kindly offered me a good discount on the new brooks gts 11, done two runs in them and all good so far, I will never change make of trainers ever again!!

• Options

Hellooooooooo.

Hi Albion and Chicaboo

I have really missed this thread.

• Options
    AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭

Hey guys image

Well, my running has been sporadic to say the least image

After VLM last year, had 5 weeks off, which became 7, and have not managed to pick it back up since ! just started to get into regular running again, and slowly getting there, but its so hard !

Have entered Sodbury Slog in november, so gotta pick up the milage a bit by then !

Chic - good to hear from you, its been a while. Great you could hook up with a friend, it makes all the difference. How did the half go ?

Baby is fine, he is 3 now !

Ecky, how are you ? how is your running going ?

• Options

I'm good Ta. Running has just become a way of life for me now. I have been running for a local club in the Ladies Team and have just done the GNR. I have another HM in a few weeks and am hoping to do a Marathon next year. It wont be VLM sadly though as I am a reject.image

Sorry you have been struggling to get back into your running.Thats what worries me about doing the Big one.Glad you are getting back into it.

I was really Lucky in June to meet Kwala from this thread.She did the Great Midlands Fun Run with us and was just so lovely.

• Options
    Hello ecky and Albion

At last, a reason to come on this forum!!! Hooray

Albion, omg, 3!!! I got married last June and we have been trying ever since, fc it happens for us soon, I did the exact same thing after I ran the belfast mara 3 years ago, I did not really pick it back up til nearly a year after, I wonder why that is??

In northern Ireland there are very few races over the winter so desperately trying to find some to keep us motivated over the winter months

We are planning on doing the larne hm in April next year which is why we want to keep our lsr to about 8 or 9 miles so it's not too difficult to increase

We did the Derry half in 2.28 which I was really pleased with cos it was a hurricane that day, horrendous weather, normally you would not have stepped out the door!! Plus sadly, my 4 year old nephew died the day before of a brain tumour which he had been battling for a year and a half, so I was not at my best!!

So we are planning on doing 'fake' races, so today we are doing a wee warm up and then a timed 3 miler to see how fast we are getting and then a 3 mile cool down, in place of our lsr I know but will do 9 next sun I expect

Ecky, good to hear from you too, glad your running is going well, is kwala still running?? What time are you hoping for in the hm?

Well better get ready, my running buddy will be here soon....
  • Options

Hi Chicaboo yeh Kwala is getting back into her running.she is on Fetch a lot now.

I'm hoping to do 2.15 for my HM. I am doing it to raise awareness and am wearing a cape made of fabric stars.I wore it at teh GNR this year and it did get a bit heavy but I still managed 2.21. Well done on your HM too sounds like a tough one emotionally too.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Nephew it just breaks my heart. We are in contact wth lots of Oncology families and so many have lost their battles.

Hope you have a good run today.

I am back from my LSR.I did a lapped route with lots of hills as the Great Brum Run has a Mahoosive hill at the end.image.Managed 10.21 miles quite slow but still pleased to not have stopped.

• Options
    Rubbish, got a crappy head cold, no running today, hopefully tomorrow
  • Options

How you feeling now Chicaboo.I hope your cold has gone.

Rubbish run for me today.Had 13 miler planned and managed 2 miles of it. I was gutted as got up really early and had my proper breccie. I'm not having a Mahoosive chinese again the night before an LSR.image

• Options
    Hi ecky, still feeling absolutely awful, terrible cough and bungee up still, not run in a week so far, I really hope I start to feel well in the next couple of days cos I don't want all my months of training to be wasted cos I don't get out for a run for over a week

Sorry your run did not go to plan, I know annoying that can be, I try to eat real plain boring food the night before my long runs cos I know my body can handle it and not make me feel queasy the next day
  • Options

Sorry you still feeling crappy. I had to have 2 weeks off at Christmas and when I got back into it I was fine.I think the body has a way of telling us to rest.Just like mine told me I needed an afternoon nap.lolimage.

I did mean to have just plain noodles and Chicken but then it turned into Chicken Satay image Was nice though.

• Options
    Sorry about the double-post but wasn't sure which is the newest introduce yourself thread:

Hi everyone. I'm 29 from Hornchurch, Essex and I'm a total newbie here. I've been running between 3.5k and 5k on the treadmill in the gym for a few months now, and I earlier today I completed my first ever 5k (Lewisham fun-run) in 26:26! image I'm not sure if I could've done better though as I pushed myself hard at the beginning and stayed with the top 10 for a while, but then got a stitch after about 1.5km and had to run - walk - run - walk for most of the remaining (although I managed a powerful sprint right at the end!!) and I think I finished in 30th place out of about 200 runners.

I've started running to keep fit (I've recently dropped from 96kg to 80kg but I'm still a few kg over my BMI) and I'm hoping to complete as many races as I can as I feel collecting medals will give me a visual cue of how well I'm doing - as well as the weight-loss of course! My current aim is to be able to complete a 5k in under 20 mins and that's when I'll start looking at 10k races...

It's great to see how much support people on here offer each other and I look forward to being part of a really nice community!!
  • Options

Hi E.S and Welcome. Well done on your 5k too as that to me is a really good time. It has taken me ages to get times like that and I only did it once.lol.

Well done on the weight loss too.as for medals I keep all mine in a bag and I do have a look from time to time.I want something to show my grandkids when I'm older.

What have you got lined up next then?