Options

Dartmoor Discovery

Comments

• Options
    P - I think I'm aware of some of the threads you're referring to - all the obvious comments and observations are there (amusing but a little tacky in places). Actually Leeds was the only marathon in which I ended up getting badly chafed (armpits and inner thighs) - still have some of the scars.

Last Saturday had a hard hilly 3 hour run on the North Downs in Kent, 20+ miles in very warm sunny conditions - drank 3 litres of water in 3 hours and at least another litre afterwards. I believe a problem with too high a water intake is that it can dilute and upset the balance of the body's essential minerals hence the importance of isotonic drinks?
  • Options
    That's about right, regarding too much drinking. Apparantly its the slower runners who stop at every water station and drink a litre at a time or more.
    You really only need 600ml an hour.
    Too much water will dilute the blood, lower the concentration of sodium and potassium which affect the heart I think.
    The condition is called hyponatria
  • Options
    Tim, thanks for the explanation - so if I'm 7.5 minute miling (the pace required for a 4 hour finish) I need to be drinking around 200 to 250 ml at each drinks station (drinks stations seem to be spaced at intervals of 3.5 miles) - will aim to start of with a full tank.

Have today started taking loads of fluid on board - if any one squeezed me I think water will ooze out the pores of my skin!

Off to Runners Need now to get some gels and another big tub of High 5 (anything but tropical flavour).
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    GR - Yes, dilution of body salts, I'm interested cos I THINK I'm having probs with the isotonic drinks (the prob is actually rectum cramp, which I cant get to the bottom of - SORRY about the pun, but it IS serious, and has affected several races)

I will HAVE to put sports drinks in the boxes (got a variety of those from other events - SIS, Lucozade, Gatorade and my own Isostar powder) although I do think water alone IS okay as long as you EAT - but if it's going to be HOT or I start upping the pace ...

Interested in your training - my sister (top endurance cyclist) works on that basis - 3 wks hard, ease off the 4th.

Someone may be interested in how LOW my mileage is per wk - but that may be because I'm not counting the WALKING miles, which can be 15-20 per wk - plus some cycling miles

The hardest thing is to get the balance between increasing yr training and easing off, rest is SO important.

Was worried yesterday (had extreme hectic on-my-feet-all-day Tues plus 5-mile race in the evg) - didn't need to find my pulse - I could hear it amongst the sea rushing noise in my ears! Is that blood pressure going up? Ofcourse sister has BP monitor at home (but lives 280 miles away!)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Paskha, I thought your particular type of cramp was caused by the continual jiggling of the intestines when running, I'm sure I've read something in the past about this. I think the recommended cure was to eat/or not eat particular foods on the couple of days leading up to a race.

Did you find out about our WRN team?

re drinking too much fluid, about a year ago a woman died in Torquay from drinking too much water. Her family couldn't stop her, she just drank glass after glass, they put her to bed and she got up in the night and carried on drinking water, and died!!

My first marathon (London 1995), I remembered the advice to take on plenty of fluid, at about 6 miles there was suddenly a quiet moment (no crowds etc) and all I could hear was the sloshing of fluid in my stomach, only took a drink every 3 miles thereafter. So now take one cup every 3 miles.
  • Options
    I sweat a lot and cramp alot at about 22+ miles in most marathons I have completed. I recently read a article in a running magazine and it said, DO NOT drink gallons of water the day prior to a marathon, because all you do is pee pee and more pee, which will contain most if not all your vital body salts you will need for the big day.
    I have tried it and it works! drink as much on the day as we like but be carefull the day before. Try a small pinch of salt in your drinks or even dioralyte (mineral repacement from the chemist). Tie a gel to your bottle and what do you have? a bonb ready to go off! it will work!!

I HOPE!!!!!

Less than 48 hrs to go!, so good luck everyone for saturday & see you all there!
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    SHADES - Re Cramp - Thanks for that - I will have to keep notes on food consumption alongside all the training notes!
    WRN - The vests arrived but no word on the Team - I just assume the 4 of us are still going to be there ...
    Tues evg (at Tree Tops 5 miler) I rcvd message from the 2 ladies in FalmouthRR - I could "guest" in their Team!! Would have been VERY happy to do so (as Cwall ladies & I've lived in Falmouth) in preference to WRN - but too late. Just think - we could've been in serious competition!

What was the woman doing in Torquay - trying to be healthy? or was she just mad
  • Options
    P - I do sympathise with you there, must be annoying and frustrating.

Have suffered from similar ailments but mainly diet/stress-related. Try and give a lot of care and attention to this stage of preparation - high carbs, low bulk and fibre (have spent most of my lunch hour picking out and discarding bits of sweetcorn, chick peas and kidney beans from a rice and pasta salad).

I've tried all the drinks you mentioned - SIS seems quite good - am not a fan of gatorade. I use High 5 a lot especially when carb loading over the last couple of days. Didn't think I'd get to grips with eating on the run but did the 3 peaks challenge and ate loads and also on the 3 Forts marathon (it's the only race where I've put on weight!).

I enjoy the regime of 3 hard weeks followed by an easier week (a lot of my Club colleagues very rarely stray from their established weekly patterns). On Saturday it's back to the grindstone and another 3 hard weeks - I suspect that Sunday will be a rest day!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Timothy - What do you eat/drink before and during your ultras? You seem to be the most experienced ultra person in this little group.
  • Options
    The dioralyte sounds a good idea - sounds similar to taking an istonic drink but without the sweetness/flavouring? Will try it some time (but not on Saturday).

Probably been mentioned before but does Immodium help prevent/alleviate these types of stomach cramps?
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Dioralyte? Is that the replacement body salts that the doc gave me for babies with tummy bugs - only sml sachets - grown-up would need a box load!
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    G - interested - High carbs - low bulk -BELOW I've listed the food I had before my "best" Discovery - not out of choice! - didn't seem enough - but it worked extremely well - the only point I'll make about "low bulk" is that the honey sandwhiches were WHOLEMEAL - and agree that white bread would've been better!

I don't "carbo load" specifically - I eat like that most of the time! I do tend to eat a few "salty" things a day or two before - like olives, marmite - and a few extra dried apricots, fig bars

Ran my best Discovery (1999) on a large bowl of pasta (plain + just bit of olive oil) at 4pm previous day and a few honey sandwhiches in the evg. On the day - 3 shredded wheat + banana at 6.30am. Then 500ml + 330ml + 330ml Boots isotonic at spaced intervals round the course and a Boots energy bar at 16 miles ... my run was one of the most evenly paced (I did quite detailed stats from the 5-mile splits) and passed 12 people after the M point, felt great at the finish

MUZZA - Thanks - I'm trying to get a balance here between conflicting advice, my own experience and good old common sense - any more input?

I also don't consciously drink extra fluids until the evening before - not loads - just enough to know I'm fully hydrated
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I suffer from stomach cramps during marathons, which my doctor tells me is excess acid, all your blood goes to your muscles to help you run and is diverted away from the stomach, hence a build up of acid. Cure is antacid/indigestion tablets and a very small amount of food, to help cut down on the sloshing liquid, I asked about using immodium and she said NO WAY!! However, I only have the stomach pains don't have to make pit stops, as many other runners do.
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Forgot to mention the Tonic water - sisterly advice - contains quinnine - for what? is it cramp?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Paskha

The woman was actually in Torquay on her holidays!! And she wasn't mad at all, just suddenly started this peculiar behaviour and in a few hours was dead.

Dear All
    Have just checked the weather forecast for Saturday at Princetown:-
    Max 18 Min 12
    Wind 10 mph (S)
    sun Index 4

probably be completely different but that sounds OK, doesn't it.

Glad you got your vest Paskha, another flipping £12.50 though!! Re the WRN team, still don't know who the 4th one is.
    Am going to ring Jen tonight, I think she will run a blinder on Sat.

I think Dunnarunner has dunnarunner today!!
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    The guy who suffered hyponatreamia (was talking about it after the Plymouth Half when we were at Tamar Trotters BBQ) said it's your BRAIN that can't cope with the blood gone wrong (diluted too much)
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    SHADES - I thought we got the vest inc in the cost of the Course?
  • Options
    Shades (or anyone else)
    Are you by any chance doing the Potteries?
    See you there!
  • Options
    P - It's very much trial and error - whatever works for you. For example at London 2002 I ran a PB - the evening before I'd had a mushroom pizza, a still mineral water and bag of maltesers - has become a tradition now (no, an obsession!) to precede many races in the same way - sometimes it works, sometimes not. At Leeds 2003 had the usual pizza PLUS a sorbet and ran another PB.

For me, over the last 48 hours before a race carbs in low bulk include pitta breads (white), bagels (plain), rice (white) or couscous (plain)in place of pasta (I add to the boiling water a spoonfull of Marmite instead of salt), bananas mashed with honey, thin sliced malt loaf (no butter - in fact no dairy produce of any description), large raisins, snack sized Mars Bars, kiwi fruits, plenty of energy drinks

Low fibre means no cereals or wholemeal breads, no dried apricots, potatoes must be peeled (no skins), no fibrous fruits or vegetables (no sweet corn, kidney beans, chick peas or tomatoes), no nuts or seeds.

Nothing spicy or peppery - the plainer the better - everything very easily digestible. Keep portions small (about the size of a tennis ball) and frequent.

I try and have a run/walk/shuffle/jog for 15 minutes or so two to three hours before a marathon, helps to stimulate the system, reduce anxiety etc.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Paskha
    I emailed Pauline when I received the vest and she asked me to send £12.50. Can you email her to find out, if so I can get a refund or another vest. I can't email her from work, I'm awfully busy today as you can tell!!

Ask her who Number 4 is please.

How can you remeber what you ate in 1999, I can't remember what I ate yesterday do you record all your pre race food?
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Think hyponatreamia is misnomer (dont know Latin though) would understand HYDROEXTREMIS better
    Not in my COD (Concise Oxford)
  • Options
    Shades - been too busy working today, but everyone's advice on diet, liquid intake etc makes very interesting reading - I'll try to apply some of that experience to my next marathon as I always seem to run out of gas towards the end.
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Re Pre-Race food for DD 1999!
    It was so unusual - I had a lift up from Pz at 5pm - I'd had to take Joe to his Dad's etc - I just hadn't planned - cooking a plate of pasta was all I could think of - then grabbed some food and stuffed it into my bag - staying in the bunkhouse, I thought I'd go buy a meal, but didn't.
    I just remember it all so clearly - dont usually write all that down

WRN - I'll phone Pauline later ...
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Timothy

Yes will be at Potteries, also Blackpool the following week. Have done Potteries 3 times before (love it, great support on the course, everybody calls you 'duck'), can be hot and of course it's hilly.

Have never done Blackpool before, I believe it's awful but if not windy can be a PB course, not that I'm chasing PB's at the moment. Bit of drive for me, so this may be the one and only time I do Blackpool.

I put a message on earlier today to you re diet, would appreciate your response if poss.
  • Options
    Hi Shades, sorry, I missed your message!! I would say I eat "normally", just excessivly!! For a "short" ultra (people tend to want to kill me when I use that expression) its really the same as a marathon. I try to eat double the usual amount for a few days before, you know, the usual stuff-bread, potatoes pasta etc. Bananas, orange juice.
    Normal breakfast-bowl of cereal. Not much else, maybe a banana or two nearer the start. I'll drink sports drink, I've used various over the years. Current favourite is SIS and I started using their gels last year with spectacular results.
    Maybe a banana during a race if I'm offered one.
    Afterwards I drink SIS rego and then more carbo drink with some glutamine dissolved in it.
    That's about it really.
    I'm doing Blackpool as well. Manchester is close enough to drive to on the day (early start mind you) if you'd like to consider stopping here first?
    See you
  • Options
    Too much information on food,I`m more confused now than before.It seems we`ve all got our little quirks.Mine is I`ve become a rice pudding and honey sandwiches addict.As long as your`re sensible and don`t pig out on too many burgers stick to what works for you.Tim ,whats a long ultra?and whats your fav?Like the idea of someone out there thinking "only 32" rather than "are you mad" which seems to be a common reply from most people.tryed dioralite a few years ago when my son was ill thinking it would improve my times,It didn`t.Going to stick with my tryed and tested 2bottles of lucozade on me+ top ups at drinks stations and lots of jelly babies.(No cheese rolls though).really pleased to see latest weather not too bad. Don`t have a curry the night before it cost me 5 mins at the camel canter oops.good luck on sat
  • Options
    Hi Richie, 24 hour race is a long ultra, so is 100km the way I usually run it.
    Tastes vary don't they.
    In a 24 hour race I really haven't got the feeding completly right but my thinking is towards those small pots of rice pud and litres of sports drink and maybe the odd sandwich or bit of cake.
    I think I got through 11 litres ofvarious types of SIS last time!! And 6 cans of Red Bull
    I know someone who regularly uses imodium before a 24 hour race but he's had a few problems and halved the dose I think.
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Am enjoying hearing of diff ideas for food - and possibly a few "no-no"s - some fairly obvious (curry!) some not (why not the dried apricots?)
    As for the race - try thinking "sherpa" (though my present physique is anything but - better suited to "pachyderm" at the moment) picture trotting up the mountain with a massive rucksack then when you get to Dartmoor, it won't be quite so steep - and you won't have to carry anything!

Anyone else out there play these mind games?
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Hypo natreamia

Hypo = under / below normal
    Natriuresis = excretion of sodium

Sorry about this - I needed to know what the word meant
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Haven't heard anyone mention porridge yet - I can run on it - don't need to wait 2 hrs